A Carnival junkie sails NCL for the first time

ShelleyQT

Carnival is obviously taking a lesson from Walmart and Dollar store, evident from its recent drastic cutbacks. It wants to compete on price alone so not surprising that it wants to appeal to those who can't afford more. There is a segment of the market that do not have choices and they are a lock for Carnival.

Lol. There's the tried and true broad brush stereotyping. I can afford any cruise I want, so I guess you are wrong there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Opinions different from yours. Deal with it. If you don't like this thread, then don't post to it or read it. Pretty simple. Why waste your time on something you hate?? Yet you still do.

Sent from my nondroid using my fingers

Hate the fact that Carnival does add things and not just cuts?

Lol. There's the tried and true broad brush stereotyping. I can afford any cruise I want, so I guess you are wrong there.

Sgt. Zydeco, is this you? A penny earned is better than a penny solicited. Watch your paypal for my donation.

I want to add on to what I wrote earlier. The last two cruises I took with CCL were charters my favorite band. The first one on the Legend was great and became my favorite Carnival ship. Other than slow service in the MDR and missing normal cruise activities because the charter provided its own entertainment, I had no issues. The second one on the Victory there was a decline in the food to where it became a running joke with the bands and comedians "it's like they take a piece of meat and inject a little weird into it." The service was pretty bad, none of the staff seemed to care about winning anyone over to do a normal vacation with CCL.

A survey came out for the next cruise asking if we would like to try NCL instead for the next one. I, being CCL loyal fought hard for them but NCL ended up winning. I ended up not going anyway but most of my friends preferred NCL. Some of those friends now use NCL for their normal vacations. Also, the company who runs the charters and used CCL for most of them has now switched to mostly NCL, no upcoming Carnival ones at all. The bands probably enjoy NCL more because of the Haven. This was brought up to me by one of the band members recently when we were discussing cruises.

Maybe another lesson for CCL to learn, don't treat your charter customers like they are nothing, because they could be your future clients for their vacations. NCL won in that regards with my friends.

And I really can't take the Carnival cheerleader seriously when they have not even attempted to try a different line.

Opinions different from yours. Deal with it. If you don't like this thread, then don't post to it or read it. Pretty simple. Why waste your time on something you hate?? Yet you still do.

Sent from my nondroid using my fingers

Thats exactly why I have RRLLAL on my rapidly expanding IGNORE list..:)..Dennis

First my thanks to the O.P. for an honest and I think fair comparison between Carnival and NCL.

You pointed out what you saw as the differences, I for one am not interested in the areas you felt were better on NCL. I just don't care about the entertainment on board, I don't go to shows at home or in Vegas (where I go 2-3 times per year) and I'm really not interested in seeing shows on a cruise ship.

I do also say to the O.P. that I'm sorry your honest review was taken over by the usual Carnival haters on this board. It's really a shame that the same usual suspects keep coming to posts on this board and call anyone that see's anything good about Carnival a Carnival Cheer Leader.

It's true Carnival has made many changes to their product, from what I see most of the other cruise lines have done the same. Some changes are good and make sense others not so much. For those that don't like the meatloaf, might I suggest that you choose something else to eat?

I was on the Magic in March and never even considered ordering the meatloaf, fried chicken or hamburger. A young couple at our table, the man ordered the hamburger at least 4 nights. I asked him if the menu was that bad and all he could find to eat was the hamburger? He replied that he loved hamburger's and thought that the burger in the main dining room was one of the best he's ever had. Each to their own, perhaps that's why Carnival has added rather ordinairy items to their menu. I for one was able to find something I liked to eat every night. I have to admit I was a little worried the one night that I decided to order the steak, I have seen so much written about how bad the flat iron staek was I was a liitle concerned. However I found it to be very good! I would have preferred a sirloin, like they used to serve but it was still very good!

However the main reason I will cruise Carnival is, lets face it: Price! I have a Mediterranean cruise scheduled next year on the Sunshine. I checked NCL for the same time period and discovered that NCL would be about $600 per person higher than the Sunshine for a 12 day med cruise in the least expensive balcony. In fact my Aft Wrap on the Sunshine works out to be about $200 per person cheaper than the least expensive balcony cabin on NCL. I've seen where a few people have said that NCL has sales that bring their prices in line with Carnival, might be true but I've never f ound them.

Now we may at some point decide that Carnival is no longer for us and we'll spend more money on other lines. If and when that day happens I won't be here on these boards to cut down people that still enjoy cruising with Carnival.

First my thanks to the O.P. for an honest and I think fair comparison between Carnival and NCL.

You pointed out what you saw as the differences, I for one am not interested in the areas you felt were better on NCL. I just don't care about the entertainment on board, I don't go to shows at home or in Vegas (where I go 2-3 times per year) and I'm really not interested in seeing shows on a cruise ship.

I do also say to the O.P. that I'm sorry your honest review was taken over by the usual Carnival haters on this board. It's really a shame that the same usual suspects keep coming to posts on this board and call anyone that see's anything good about Carnival a Carnival Cheer Leader.

It's true Carnival has made many changes to their product, from what I see most of the other cruise lines have done the same. Some changes are good and make sense others not so much. For those that don't like the meatloaf, might I suggest that you choose something else to eat?

I was on the Magic in March and never even considered ordering the meatloaf, fried chicken or hamburger. A young couple at our table, the man ordered the hamburger at least 4 nights. I asked him if the menu was that bad and all he could find to eat was the hamburger? He replied that he loved hamburger's and thought that the burger in the main dining room was one of the best he's ever had. Each to their own, perhaps that's why Carnival has added rather ordinairy items to their menu. I for one was able to find something I liked to eat every night. I have to admit I was a little worried the one night that I decided to order the steak, I have seen so much written about how bad the flat iron staek was I was a liitle concerned. However I found it to be very good! I would have preferred a sirloin, like they used to serve but it was still very good!

However the main reason I will cruise Carnival is, lets face it: Price! I have a Mediterranean cruise scheduled next year on the Sunshine. I checked NCL for the same time period and discovered that NCL would be about $600 per person higher than the Sunshine for a 12 day med cruise in the least expensive balcony. In fact my Aft Wrap on the Sunshine works out to be about $200 per person cheaper than the least expensive balcony cabin on NCL. I've seen where a few people have said that NCL has sales that bring their prices in line with Carnival, might be true but I've never f ound them.

Now we may at some point decide that Carnival is no longer for us and we'll spend more money on other lines. If and when that day happens I won't be here on these boards to cut down people that still enjoy cruising with Carnival.

I'm pretty sure you have it backwards. It seems there has been a poster who is cutting down people who say they prefer NCL and again for the 100th time, NOBODY hates Carnival.

He wasn't comparing carnival to Walmart, he was saying they are both successful for the same reason.

Reading comprehension...

Thanks, I'm glad somebody got my point. As I said in my original post I've sailed Carnival 6 times, in the last 2 years no less. If that somehow qualifies me as a "hater" then so be it :/ I certainly don't think so, I'm merely pointing out that both companies have a business plan that works for them.

Back to my other point I appreciate the OP posting what I feel like is a very balanced review.

And one more thing. "Agenda"? Dude are you for real?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, credibility seems very important to you: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=32508875#post32508875

Remember now?

Lol. Yea, now I remember that post, but so what? Was I suppose to remember the site someone pointed me to for a menu 6 months ago? Weak. But I guess you proved others wrong about me being someone else. Thanks.

Thanks, I'm glad somebody got my point. As I said in my original post I've sailed Carnival 6 times, in the last 2 years no less. If that somehow qualifies me as a "hater" then so be it :/ I certainly don't think so, I'm merely pointing out that both companies have a business plan that works for them.

Back to my other point I appreciate the OP posting what I feel like is a very balanced review.

And one more thing. "Agenda"? Dude are you for real?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Walmart and Carnival alike focus on a particular segment of the market. Basically those who need to be very price sensitive and can't comfortably cruise other lines on a regular basis. They are Carnival's bread and butter.

Have you read the entire thread ? It started getting nasty When a CCL LOVER said this cruise review belonged ONLY on NCL .

BTW the Op review was honest and informative.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Lol. Yea, now I remember that post, but so what? Was I suppose to remember the site someone pointed me to for a menu 6 months ago? Weak. But I guess you proved others wrong about me being someone else. Thanks.

I think you meant to say "But I guess you proved others RIGHT about me being someone else. Thanks" -- You are welcome!:D

Lol. Yea, now I remember that post, but so what? Was I suppose to remember the site someone pointed me to for a menu 6 months ago?

Aaron Peirsol holds a record that you'll be hard-pressed to beat, but I'm glad to see you continue to try. Kudos!!

Freestyle is what gives me pause. I've done YTD on Carnival on two cruises and much prefer the fixed seating - I don't like standing in line waiting for a table. Now when I've talked with our neighbors who love NCL, they've always said they've never had to wait for a table and really enjoy Freestyle. Their brother's family, however, thought it was awful. There were a lot of kids on their cruise (they had two) and everyone wanted to eat at 6:30, so they either had to wait a long time, opt for one of the for-fee restaurants, or hit the buffet. Thoughts on Freestyle? Thanks in advance!

We enjoyed Freestyle. After the first night when we had a long wait for a table, we started going to dinner at 6:00 instead of 8:00. Even on that first night, though, once we were seated the service was fast and friendly. We have had YTD several times on Carnival and service was agonizingly slow.

Food quality in MDRs on NCL Star seemed about the same as Carnival, but with more choices on the Star.

If I sailed the Star with a big group, I wouldn't try to get a huge group sitting together in the MDR. If you're in smaller groups you'll be seated faster. You won't all fit at the same table no matter what you decide to do.

I hate to point out the obvious....but Carnival could easily make a "course correction" to upgrade entertainment.

But...they would have to also "upgrade their prices".

I'm taking Carnival out of NY for 8 nights in Dec. An NCL cruise leaves the next day...for 7 nights. Two of the ports are the same! Only one is different.

I'm paying $600 less for a mid-ship balcony than I would pay for a shorter cruise on NCL.

Don't know...maybe I just got lucky with the price; but, I'd rather spend the $600 elsewhere than have the NCL entertainment

In fairness, you can't cherry pick one cruise like that for price comparison. For example, we paif $2586 for 3 people, outside cabin on the Independence of the Seas for March. A comparable cruise on the Carnival Freedom is $2400. Is the IOS worth an extra $186. Absolutely.

I think you meant to say "But I guess you proved others RIGHT about me being someone else. Thanks" -- You are welcome!:D

Huh? Why do some of you make no sense? That's mot my site and I'm not that person. Nice try.

For me, and for me only:

As far as NCL having "better entertainment".....I live a few blocks from B'way. I go there about once a month. No matter what's on NCL, it won't be the caliber I'm used to.

Band on the Lido Deck....when I hear one of those bands, I run and hide. I'd prefer piped in "elevator music".

I like the afternoon teas on Carnival. AFIK they don't have this on NCL. I like the soft music and the ambiance.

I like that the sauna/steam room etc is included with Carnival. It's extra on NCL.

We always eat in the buffet. Being from the heart on NYC, we do not have those Country Kitchen type things. That I can pick what I want and eat viewing the ocean is something I really enjoy. I find the Carnival buffets better than the NCL buffets. I don't care about "being served". I eat out all the time at home, and get served. That's not a novelty.

I've never had a problem with the staff. I don't need or want to be treated like royalty. I'm happy with a clean room. If the steward doesn't greet me with a cheery smile...it makes no difference to me.

The only thing I would like, and that would make a difference...and that neither line has is.....intelligent lectures. I'm not talking about "where to buy jewelry" or "the wonderful art bargains". I'm thinking a lecture about the history/fauna/flora/culture of whatever port you're headed to. Not something "to sell", but something to educate (I know I'm alone on this).

With all this being said.....Carnival is a better line for me. It includes more things that I actually care about. So...if given the choice of the same dates, itineraries, and price....I'd enjoy myself more on Carnival. (It's purely coincidence that my Carnival cruise is $600 less than the NCL one. I booked Carnival because I prefer it.)

But...as I began...I'm only speaking for me.

For me, and for me only:

As far as NCL having "better entertainment".....I live a few blocks from B'way. I go there about once a month. No matter what's on NCL, it won't be the caliber I'm used to.

Band on the Lido Deck....when I hear one of those bands, I run and hide. I'd prefer piped in "elevator music".

I like the afternoon teas on Carnival. AFIK they don't have this on NCL. I like the soft music and the ambiance.

I like that the sauna/steam room etc is included with Carnival. It's extra on NCL.

We always eat in the buffet. Being from the heart on NYC, we do not have those Country Kitchen type things. That I can pick what I want and eat viewing the ocean is something I really enjoy. I find the Carnival buffets better than the NCL buffets. I don't care about "being served". I eat out all the time at home, and get served. That's not a novelty.

I've never had a problem with the staff. I don't need or want to be treated like royalty. I'm happy with a clean room. If the steward doesn't greet me with a cheery smile...it makes no difference to me.

The only thing I would like, and that would make a difference...and that neither line has is.....intelligent lectures. I'm not talking about "where to buy jewelry" or "the wonderful art bargains". I'm thinking a lecture about the history/fauna/flora/culture of whatever port you're headed to. Not something "to sell", but something to educate (I know I'm alone on this).

With all this being said.....Carnival is a better line for me. It includes more things that I actually care about. So...if given the choice of the same dates, itineraries, and price....I'd enjoy myself more on Carnival. (It's purely coincidence that my Carnival cruise is $600 less than the NCL one. I booked Carnival because I prefer it.)

But...as I began...I'm only speaking for me.

Thanks for this Now your post makes more sense than some. You indicate that it is your opinion, and everyone accepts that. But the problem comes when posters try to make their opinions "fact" and claim the majority shares the as "fact", many here take issue. Everyone loves opinions, even different from theirs, but don't try to convince others that your opinion is fact.

For me, and for me only:

MsTK, you are definitely/absolutely correct about it being a different caliber. No doubts there . . . and I admit to being personally jealous that you have that somewhat at your fingertips as readily as you do. :o

But when it comes to entertainment, RCCL, NCL (and others) are now in a different league. And since you reference The Great White Way above, it is actually the major producers there that have pretty much blackballed CCL. It is no longer allowed for CCL to refer to Broadway in print, broadcast, or online media (causing them to switch to the Vegas reference). They got their fanny smacked big time a few years ago. They can't even have snippets of the tunes, or staging, used from the original productions.

Interesting to see the annual Tony Awards are now going to promote/feature cruise ship entertainment for those that qualify. RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, and others will all hope to be recognized . . . as well they should.

Archived