A Carnival junkie sails NCL for the first time

ShelleyQT

Just my opinion, but I think it's a shame that a thread started with a thoughtful post has degenerated into a bunch of crap because of one joker and all the people who have reacted to him.

Could we restore order here and discuss the merits of the case?

Jim

In fairness, you can't cherry pick one cruise like that for price comparison. For example, we paid $2586 for 3 people, outside cabin on the Independence of the Seas for March. A comparable cruise on the Carnival Freedom is $2400. Is the IOS worth an extra $186. Absolutely.

You also can't cherry pick that way.

There's room in my vacation schedule for more than 1 cruise line. NCL isn't always more expensive. I paid less for our suite on ncl in January than I'm paying for a vista balcony on Carnival next Feb. We also had no issues docking in Roatan and I've seen numerous posts on this board that it is a port that Carnival seems to miss frequently which I figure has something to do with the dock that Carnival uses. I think there are good things about both lines.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

There's room in my vacation schedule for more than 1 cruise line. NCL isn't always more expensive. I paid less for our suite on ncl in January than I'm paying for a vista balcony on Carnival next Feb. We also had no issues docking in Roatan and I've seen numerous posts on this board that it is a port that Carnival seems to miss frequently which I figure has something to do with the dock that Carnival uses. I think there are good things about both lines.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

They dock in mahogany bay because they get Kick backs from the shops there

back paddling ... lol ... good one!

looks like the back door was closed

Since it is funny, show me the back pedal. Or are you just giggling to be part of the crowd?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

We also had no issues docking in Roatan and I've seen numerous posts on this board that it is a port that Carnival seems to miss frequently which I figure has something to do with the dock that Carnival uses.

That's one of the reasons why my buddies shot down the Dream cruise and we are going on Norwegian Dawn instead.

There's room in my vacation schedule for more than 1 cruise line. NCL isn't always more expensive.

Absolutely. Variety is GREAT and I have yet to pay more for an NCL cruise with the exception of one and that's only because that sailing we're in a suite....and I got a great rate on that as well as a lot of OBC.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Huh? Why do some of you make no sense? That's mot my site and I'm not that person. Nice try.

260 posts over 6000 views and not 1 single person has even come close to agreeing with you! So much for your "theory"! As Hamlet once said "The lady (or whatever gender you are) doth protest too much, methinks!"

MsTK, you are definitely/absolutely correct about it being a different caliber. No doubts there . . . and I admit to being personally jealous that you have that somewhat at your fingertips as readily as you do. :o

But when it comes to entertainment, RCCL, NCL (and others) are now in a different league. And since you reference The Great White Way above, it is actually the major producers there that have pretty much blackballed CCL. It is no longer allowed for CCL to refer to Broadway in print, broadcast, or online media (causing them to switch to the Vegas reference). They got their fanny smacked big time a few years ago. They can't even have snippets of the tunes, or staging, used from the original productions.

Interesting to see the annual Tony Awards are now going to promote/feature cruise ship entertainment for those that qualify. RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, and others will all hope to be recognized . . . as well they should.

Was Carnival violating copywrite laws? I wasn't aware they were sued by any entertainment group.

I will note that Princess has two male and two female lead singers and Carnival only has one of each. It's only a myth that Carnival competes with any other line when it comes to entertainment, especially professional entertainment. They are bringing on a bunch of no-name comics for the comedy clubs. 2.0 is a bit of a continuation along the road of moving away from professional entertainment as the partnership with Hasbro is about passenger participation in game shows. It's disappointing to see Carnival go down that path and not compete with other cruise lines with respect to professional entertainment.

260 posts over 6000 views and not 1 single person has even come close to agreeing with you! So much for your "theory"! As Hamlet once said "The lady (or whatever gender you are) doth protest too much, methinks!"

Do you even respond to the correct posts or just toss stuff against the wall?

. It's disappointing to see Carnival go down that path and not compete with other cruise lines with respect to professional entertainment.

I agree, but if they manage to keep filling (or coming close to filling) their ships regardless of (lack of) entertainment, why would they spend the money for it??

One thing I am looking for...reports of price drops. The more price drops we see reported here, that means the more empty berths. For the longest time, you never saw anyone get a price drop. I am anxious to see if this changes at all over the next year or so.

If there is no change in how well the ships sell out, there will be little chance of any good changes in regard to entertainment.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Do you even respond to the correct posts or just toss stuff against the wall?

Seems you're answering your OWN question! Have you even contributed anything useful on CC since you joined? All I see are obnoxious, confrontational posts! But you know what, enough of YOU!

:rolleyes:

Absolutely. Variety is GREAT and I have yet to pay more for an NCL cruise with the exception of one and that's only because that sailing we're in a suite....and I got a great rate on that as well as a lot of OBC.

Variety to me is different types of vacation. Just did the Outer Banks week before last for 7 days. Did the cruise in the spring.

I found Norwegian prices were on par with Carnival in 2010 and 2011. However starting this year the prices are getting slightly higher. For example if you book early you can go on a 2012 Epic Miami sailing for around $700 in a balcony. That's dirt cheap. But good luck finding such low price for any 2013 Epic sailing. It reflects the market. People are ok with paying more.

I agree, but if they manage to keep filling (or coming close to filling) their ships regardless of (lack of) entertainment, why would they spend the money for it??

One thing I am looking for...reports of price drops. The more price drops we see reported here, that means the more empty berths. For the longest time, you never saw anyone get a price drop. I am anxious to see if this changes at all over the next year or so.

If there is no change in how well the ships sell out, there will be little chance of any good changes in regard to entertainment.

Maybe the beards strategy is not BRILLIANT LOL

We enjoyed Freestyle. After the first night when we had a long wait for a table, we started going to dinner at 6:00 instead of 8:00. Even on that first night, though, once we were seated the service was fast and friendly. We have had YTD several times on Carnival and service was agonizingly slow.
Thanks so much! As you can see from my signature we've also limited ourselves to Carnival up to now. We like the experience and the price has been good. Having said that, we've been talking about some different cruise experiences. Not in the next year - we've already booked Legend for the Baltic next year - but still in the planning stages.:)

The only thing I would like, and that would make a difference...and that neither line has is.....intelligent lectures. I'm not talking about "where to buy jewelry" or "the wonderful art bargains". I'm thinking a lecture about the history/fauna/flora/culture of whatever port you're headed to. Not something "to sell", but something to educate (I know I'm alone on this).
You're not alone at all! After our first cruise, I've never gone to a port lecture - it's just a sales opportunity.:(

Thanks so much! As you can see from my signature we've also limited ourselves to Carnival up to now. We like the experience and the price has been good. Having said that, we've been talking about some different cruise experiences. Not in the next year - we've already booked Legend for the Baltic next year - but still in the planning stages.:)

You're not alone at all! After our first cruise, I've never gone to a port lecture - it's just a sales opportunity.:(

Princess HAL X & cunard have port and history lecturers not affiliated with th shore ex

I can only conclude that they have enough people who actually prefer the type of entertainment Carnival has migrated to, to justify the direction they have taken. Still, for family cruises, we consider RCI and not NCL to be the alternative.

Archived