A Carnival junkie sails NCL for the first time

ShelleyQT

I will simply never understand complete brand loyalty for those of us that cruise a lot. Of course, I would never attack anyone for it, because that is their own personal choice. Why wouldn't this belong here? I think a lot of us are interested in other lines and how they stack up against each other. With 15 Carnival cruises under my belt, I just completed my second NCL cruise. It was great. I did a rather lengthy review with tons of pictures on it as well. There are some nods to Carnival throughout. If anyone is interested here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1691665

If you go through the review,one thing that I hit on quite a bit was the personalized service. It really was outstanding at times. Of course, there were some low points, which I personally expect at some points on every cruise I take.

Bingo! Bingo and BINGO!

The reason it's special is they understand making the passenger feel special. This costs them absolutely nothing. The service I have had on CCL has always...always been excellent, however, there is something....

At one of our dinners on the Magic eariler this month - where everything was done exactly when and how it was supposed to be done, with the waiters scurring around so fast if felt like a bee-hive - DW made this observation:

"There is a difference between making love and getting f*****d. Every time I finish a meal here I feel like I just got f*****d - not that there's anything wrong with that! There is absolutely no difference in what they are doing vs what they should be doing - its just in the how..."

That pretty much optimized our Magic experince (especially in the theater or with anything the CD was involved in). Everything done was pretty much right - but we never got the sense that the crew cared about what they were doing or about making sure the pax felt special. Notable execptions were the room stewards (espicially ours) and the staff at the Italian Resuraunt.

I would probably be the only person you weren't replying to on this thread:rolleyes: But, you asked for my point back on page 2 and others have made it rather clearly since then.

I've been on the board for 7 years - I read the good and the bad quite frankly I've been stunned by the number of Carnival fans who have posted simlilar thoughts to that of OP on a CARNIVAL BOARD.

If you would look at all of CC - you would see that your opinion is not the majority opinion. Of course you could focus you search to just your posts, and you would have a 100% majority.

If it was only for CCL lovers it would be a board for RR and sgt LOL

I will simply never understand complete brand loyalty for those of us that cruise a lot. Of course, I would never attack anyone for it, because that is their own personal choice. Why wouldn't this belong here? I think a lot of us are interested in other lines and how they stack up against each other. With 15 Carnival cruises under my belt, I just completed my second NCL cruise. It was great. I did a rather lengthy review with tons of pictures on it as well. There are some nods to Carnival throughout. If anyone is interested here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1691665

If you go through the review,one thing that I hit on quite a bit was the personalized service. It really was outstanding at times. Of course, there were some low points, which I personally expect at some points on every cruise I take.

I read a few excerpts from your posts. I didn't get through all of them. I do have a couple of questions for you. I saw a photo of a pool. Are the NCL pools as small as the Carnival pools? Also, we are non-smokers and I am concerned about finding smoke free places. Is that a problem on NCL? Carnival has seemed to do a better job in dealing with it.

Oh, for what it's worth, when you got those two days in Istanbul, you got a great port. It's one of my all time favorites. We plan to hit Amsterdam as well, but not with respect to a cruise vacation, but rather a land vacation combined with Paris and and either Belgium or London.

why? you want to hide the discussions of the cutbacks off this board?

i see it's posted on both boards, being it a comparison experience (one which appears you can't write yet, but could learn from, as well as others).

but the days of people supporting such a review of the "other" lines on this board, defending ccl, are long gone. there's now more an agreement that ccl is no longer what it once was, and is quite eye opening when you cruise the other lines, who are doing the opposite, taking full advantage of the current poor ccl leadership. even paying posters to post good things about ccl won't stop this. there are only less than 5 these days.

This whole exchange with RRLLAL has reminded me of show I saw on Nat Geo... The one where they club the baby seals.

At one of our dinners on the Magic eariler this month - where everything was done exactly when and how it was supposed to be done, with the waiters scurring around so fast if felt like a bee-hive - DW made this observation:

"There is a difference between making love and getting f*****d. Every time I finish a meal here I feel like I just got f*****d - not that there's anything wrong with that! There is absolutely no difference in what they are doing vs what they should be doing - its just in the how..."

That pretty much optimized our Magic experince (especially in the theater or with anything the CD was involved in). Everything done was pretty much right - but we never got the sense that the crew cared about what they were doing or about making sure the pax felt special. Notable execptions were the room stewards (espicially ours) and the staff at the Italian Resuraunt.

Ok, after the shock wore off (it took a split second LOL) I realized that was the BEST anaology ever. Kudos to your observant wife!

If it was only for CCL lovers it would be a board for RR and sgt LOL

I still consider myself to be a CCL lover - just feel like they need a little tough love on the enterainment and service front. Menus in the MDR could be a little more eleborate too.

Ok, after the shock wore off (it took a split second LOL) I realized that was the BEST anaology ever. Kudos to your observant wife!

I had that conversation in the draft of our review.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=107544

DW asked me to take it out - she felt the title and the closing said the same thing - without being quite as graphic.

I originally read this review on the NCL board since, like most, after 6 cruises with Carnival I'm ready to try something else. I find it quite interesting how much more civil the thread was there! I guess "fun" people are rude too ;)

I think, and this is opinion only (obviously), that Carnival will continue to be successful for the same reason Walmart is. Assumptions. People assume Walmart has the lowest prices when oftentimes it doesn't (ignoring the trauma of actually having to go in one!) and shop there instinctively. Secondly, in a lot of towns there isn't anywhere else to shop but Walmart. Related to Carnival - people assume their prices are ALWAYS lower and significantly so. This isn't always the case, though admittedly it is usually. Secondly, due to its sheer size Carnival sails out of more ports. So a lot more people can drive to a cruise vs having to fly to take other lines. This can be a significant savings.

OP, thanks for the honest review. Sorry it's gotten hijacked here by some with an odd agenda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that the sign of desperation. the cheerleaders have lost the ability to defend the massive ccl cutbacks, so they then resort to subtile attacks.

"why are you here?"

False accusations

"you don't cruise carnival, why are you here?"

pronounced board exclusivity:

"this board is for satisfied carnival cruisers. why are you here?"

and it gets funnier with each defensive post.

i'm off to buy the sunday paper listing only stories i like.

Says the poster who maintains her 100% negative carnival post record.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I would probably be the only person you weren't replying to on this thread:rolleyes: But, you asked for my point back on page 2 and others have made it rather clearly since then.

I've been on the board for 7 years - I read the good and the bad quite frankly I've been stunned by the number of Carnival fans who have posted simlilar thoughts to that of OP on a CARNIVAL BOARD.

If you would look at all of CC - you would see that your opinion is not the majority opinion. Of course you could focus you search to just your posts, and you would have a 100% majority.

All you have to do is go to the front page here. There are more positive posts about Carnival than anything. So I don't need to focus on mine alone.

that the sign of desperation. the cheerleaders have lost the ability to defend the massive ccl cutbacks, so they then resort to subtile attacks.

"why are you here?"

False accusations

"you don't cruise carnival, why are you here?"

pronounced board exclusivity:

"this board is for satisfied carnival cruisers. why are you here?"

and it gets funnier with each defensive post.

i'm off to buy the sunday paper listing only stories i like.

And you ignore any and all posts that point out the adds.

I originally read this review on the NCL board since, like most, after 6 cruises with Carnival I'm ready to try something else. I find it quite interesting how much more civil the thread was there! I guess "fun" people are rude too ;)

I used to post the same tyoe of complaints on the NCL board back in the V'tech days and I was regularly clobbered. For some folks, these lines are like their baby - and nobody likes to hear thats they have an ugly baby.

I think, and this is opinion only (obviously), that Carnival will continue to be successful for the same reason Walmart is. Assumptions. People assume Walmart has the lowest prices when oftentimes it doesn't (ignoring the trauma of actually having to go in one!) and shop there instinctively. Secondly, in a lot of towns there isn't anywhere else to shop but Walmart. Related to Carnival - people assume their prices are ALWAYS lower and significantly so. This isn't always the case, though admittedly it is usually. Secondly, due to its sheer size Carnival sails out of more ports. So a lot more people can drive to a cruise vs having to fly to take other lines. This can be a significant savings.

OP, thanks for the honest review. Sorry it's gotten hijacked here by some with an odd agenda.

So If Walmart is Carnival.......... what is NCL maybe Target?

I just saw a news report a day or 2 ago that says Target actually has lower prices than Walmart.

All you have to do is go to the front page here. There are more positive posts about Carnival than anything. So I don't need to focus on mine alone.

RRLLAL, RRLLAL, RRLLAL...

:confused:

You must have missed the point of OPs thread which is illustrated by the title and this senctence in the first paragraph.. We decided to try NCL because after 10 years of cruising Carnival, we were really noticing cutbacks and it was making it less fun to cruise."

A self described Carnival Junkie, tried another line not because of price or itnerary, or some other logisitcal reason. They tried another line for the first time - after more than 10 cruises - because of cutbacks and a service style that makes it less fun to cruise. They found what they are looking for somewhere else and they are going back. None of the positive things they cite about Canival matter because THEY LEFT.

And if you had had your way - based on your initial post to this thread - the thread would not even be here.

....Baby Seal.

A good comparison and a fair assessment.

I think the OP hit the nail on the head with the entertainment. We did one NCL cruise after 3 Carnival cruises and the entertainment on NCL was heads and shoulders above Carnival. It was professional and well done. Carnival's was very amateurish. Also the pool deck on NCL is a place you want to gravitate to. Good live entertainment, nice looking pools with plenty of room to swim and enjoy not like Carnival's pool deck with its postage stamp sized pools, obtrusive 50 foot tvs and one man bands playing music rather than a live band playing music to put you in the mood. Food was much better on NCL as well.

Carnival has indeed cutback and its no secret what their goal is. As a TA told me once, they aim for the first time cruiser and they're successful at doing that. What I hear more and more is disgruntled long time cruisers of Carnival trying other lines and enjoying them like the OP. I wont question Carnival's policy about aiming for the first timer, it seems to be working, but ya gotta wonder if long term they're not doing themselves harm. In fact, our TA will suggest alternatives to those experienced cruisers who want to try Carnival. Of course she'll gladly take their money but she does try and steer them in other directions because of the past experience she has had with experienced cruisers trying Carnival for the first time and coming home and telling her of their experience.

And comparing Carnival to Walmart isn't an agenda? Funny. Buy it's your opinion not agreed with by so many, even a loyal royal who did a lengthy lengthy comparison of his Carnival cruise vs. rcl cruises.

RRLLAL, RRLLAL, RRLLAL...

:confused:

You must have missed the point of OPs thread which is illustrated by the title and this senctence in the first paragraph.. We decided to try NCL because after 10 years of cruising Carnival, we were really noticing cutbacks and it was making it less fun to cruise."

A self described Carnival Junkie, tried another line not because of price or itnerary, or some other logisitcal reason. They tried another line for the first time - after more than 10 cruises - because of cutbacks and a service style that makes it less fun to cruise. They found what they are looking for somewhere else and they are going back. None of the positive things they cite about Canival matter because THEY LEFT.

And if you had had your way - based on your initial post to this thread - the thread would not even be here.

....Baby Seal.

Stuber, Stuber, Stuber......

I made the comment to a post that said my posts were the only positive ones.

Reading comprehension.......

No. It belongs where Carnival will see it and hopefully make a course correction.

NCL changed out its CEO about 4 or 5 years ago and has been headed in the right direction. CCL - just the opposite.

I hate to point out the obvious....but Carnival could easily make a "course correction" to upgrade entertainment.

But...they would have to also "upgrade their prices".

I'm taking Carnival out of NY for 8 nights in Dec. An NCL cruise leaves the next day...for 7 nights. Two of the ports are the same! Only one is different.

I'm paying $600 less for a mid-ship balcony than I would pay for a shorter cruise on NCL.

Don't know...maybe I just got lucky with the price; but, I'd rather spend the $600 elsewhere than have the NCL entertainment

So If Walmart is Carnival.......... what is NCL maybe Target?

I just saw a news report a day or 2 ago that says Target actually has lower prices than Walmart.

Was Target on the verge of bankruptcy and may still be? Not sure they are even a good comparison to rcl.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Not sure they are even a good comparison to rcl.

How would you know???? :rolleyes:

And comparing Carnival to Walmart isn't an agenda? Funny. Buy it's your opinion not agreed with by so many, even a loyal royal who did a lengthy lengthy comparison of his Carnival cruise vs. rcl cruises.

He wasn't comparing carnival to Walmart, he was saying they are both successful for the same reason.

Reading comprehension...

Archived