A Carnival junkie sails NCL for the first time

ShelleyQT

I copied this from a document I wrote on my iPad. I don't know where all the asterisks came from!

We had an awesome cruise experience on the NCL Star from New York City to Bermuda, July 29-Aug. 5. *We have been on 13 cruises before, all of them 7-day cruises on Carnival. *We decided to try NCL because after 10 years of cruising Carnival, we were really noticing cutbacks and it was making it less fun to cruise. *We particularly had noticed cutbacks in Carnival’s entertainment, dining room service (very slow service in the MDR), and reduced menu choices. *We were pleasantly surprised to find that these three areas were much better on NCL.

Overall, this was definitely our best cruise ever. *Bermuda itself has now become our very favorite port, and our experience on NCL was awesome. *I don’t expect a cruise to be perfect, and except for a few dishes that I didn’t enjoy, I would say it was just about as close as you can get. *We had a wonderful time!

Thanks for the review. DW and I had booked EPIC for January, but have had to cancel. Still looking at cruising NCL for 1st time. We are Platinum on CCL and RCI, and like both lines.

As for whether it should be on CCL or NCL thread, I think it should be on both. As a comparison, it allows people from both lines to see differences/similarities.

Thanks for the review. DW and I had booked EPIC for January, but have had to cancel. Still looking at cruising NCL for 1st time. We are Platinum on CCL and RCI, and like both lines.

As for whether it should be on CCL or NCL thread, I think it should be on both. As a comparison, it allows people from both lines to see differences/similarities.

I have sailed on 11 different cruise lines each were good some were better in some ways some were worse in some ways . and i see this on all boards not just on CCL boards people who bash other lines who never SAILED on those lines.

I liked seeing this comparison. I have also sailed an older NCL ship and also, a Carnival ship. My position is reversed. I've sailed for the port, not the ship or the cruise line. November will be my first cruise that HASN'T gone to Bermuda. We're sailing the Pride to the Bahamas. I'm looking forward to doing something different, although I'll miss Bermuda this go around. She's a great port. But HMC is also calling me.

Our NCL cabin was very small and uncomfortable. Good thing there were just two of us. I do prefer the Carnival cabins. We didn't do much of the entertainment options on any ship we've been on, so I can't compare. We loved NCL's Le Bistro and the jazz brunch as we approached Bermuda was spectacular. We give Serenity a big thumbs up and really like the layout of the Pride. So it's a toss up. I do have to say that sailing both NCL and Carnival to Bermuda, I still prefer NCL as it docked in St. Georges, not the Royal Dockyard...which we were kinda "meh" about. But now that most of the ships dock in the Royal Dockyard...we're back to a toss up!

I should state that what flavors who we sail and where we sail to most is the fact that I don't like to fly and I'd rather not have a long drive to port, so whatever keeps me closest to our home port of Baltimore is what's best for me. I do kinda wish that NCL would come back to Baltimore. The more competition, the better.

so Carnival is not always the best deal out there .

So true I was just checking prices out of Galveston and the Disney Magic is $599(MIL) for a balcony. Disney is supposed to be alot more expensive.

So If you look around other cruiselines have low prices too

BTW Carnival Magic for the same week is $709

Thanks for the comparison! Up until this point we have been NCL loyalists. I really like freestyle cruising and the entertainment on NCL, but were getting bored of the food and ship layout so decided to give CCL a try this year. I am sure we will enjoy our Dream cruise but I am curious if Carnival will be able to get us to come back...we'll see :)

We're taking our 6th Carnival cruise in November; after that we're back on Celebrity, and then probably NCL (the Epic). While we're pretty laid back and easy to please, I'd get bored with the sameness of cruising with only one cruise line. It always amazes me to read that someone has 25+ cruises with Carnival (or whomever), when there are so many great ships/itineraries out there.

The thing I like best about NCL is the whole Freestyle concept. Eat where you want, when you want, and with whom you want. I don't need/want the same dining staff night after night (why is it that that's the best part for some people?) I agree with those who've complimented the crew; we thought they were fabulous on both of our NCL cruises. Yes, the cabins are small, but I love the bathroom layout, and since we always book a balcony, that's where we spend most of our time anyway.

Finally, it's such a misnomer that Carnival always has the best pricing. If you really do your homework, you'll see that often times they can be beat for the same/similar itinerary on the same dates.

I'm just thankful to be able to set sail once or twice a year!

Ha!!! This looks similar to my review of our 9-day Western Med cruise on the Magic last summer. We also enjoyed the Red Frog Pub. The accoustic guitar singer was the best entertainment on the ship. Our cruise was port intensive. Thankfully, we had the spa balcony cabin because entertainment at nights was so bad that I found myself using the T Pool and thermal beds at night while listening to music on my iphone. Our one sea day was awful and so was the service.

At this point, we have decided to pay a little more for other cruise lines, knowing that we will enjoy ourselves and at night. For us, that means either RCI or Princess. I am not not sure I would try NCL, despite some glowing reviews I have read lately about their entertainment. We had been thinking about using Carnival for Alaska because Princess' prices for that itinerary are too high. But with Celebrity now sending the Solstice there and for a very good price, we may do that.

I am holding out hope that Carnival will clean up its act and we will return for another Carnival cruise. For now, Carnival seems complacent in being the bargain/value cruise line. I suppose, that from a marketing standpoint, they are in a great position to do well in this pretty bad economy.

When making your choices, keep in mind that Carnival also owns Princess.

I don't know how that works out with corporate and if the same CEO runs both or not.

In my way of thinking, If I am unhappy, I am not going to spend more cruise $ and continue to line their pockets. They are the cause of the change. Taking their high end product is rewarding their behavior.

If they don't want my business, I will can take it elsewhere, Not spend more with them on another of their lines.

I don't know how that works out with corporate and if the same CEO runs both or not.

In my way of thinking, If I am unhappy, I am not going to spend more cruise $ and continue to line their pockets. They are the cause of the change. Taking their high end product is rewarding their behavior.

If they don't want my business, I will can take it elsewhere, Not spend more with them on another of their lines.

Or if you're completely happy like the majority here are, and also those that don't post as evidenced by Carnival being the #1 line, you just keep sailing them. Those that aren't happy can sail someplace else but Carnival wont miss them.

I love all the things Carnival has added. Its a business. Add 1 thing something else has to be reduced/eliminated.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Or if you're completely happy like the majority here are, and also those that don't post as evidenced by Carnival being the #1 line, you just keep sailing them. Those that aren't happy can sail someplace else but Carnival wont miss them.

I love all the things Carnival has added. Its a business. Add 1 thing something else has to be reduced/eliminated.

Each entitled to their own opinion.

It makes no diffrence who the majority is, most of us don't pay for anyone else's cruises. All that matters is we are happy with the product.

It makes no differnce if Carnival will miss me should I make another choice. I would still be happy knowing I wasn't spending my money for a product that has become inferior. Why do I care if they don't miss me? I'm not married to them for crying out loud.

It's not all black or white, there are several shades of grey. I have many fond memories of my Carnival cruises. I don't hate Carnival. I just want to spread my wings and experince what else is out ther because Carnival is no longer the product it used to be in regards to quality of food, entertainment, or service.

I don't know how many times you have cruised with Carnival and I am not going to play that card. I would venture to guess though that the majority of those who enjoy the product now will not be satifised with it 5 years from now if they continue to go in this current direction.

But who cares what the majority is. If it's working for you, more power to you. If it doesn't, there is no shame in looking for alternatives. It's your vacation $. Spend it where you want to.

It's not all black or white, there are several shades of grey. I have many fond memories of my Carnival cruises. I don't hate Carnival. I just want to spread my wings and experince what else is out ther because Carnival is no longer the product it used to be in regards to quality of food, entertainment, or service.

I totally I agree....... I grew up on Carnival ships but if it wasnt for a CS disaster I wouldnt know how good other lines are as well.

I think for most cruisers is, they are comfortable with a certain cruiseline and dont like change.

I totally I agree....... I grew up on Carnival ships but if it wasnt for a CS disaster I wouldnt know how good other lines are as well.

I think for most cruisers is, they are comfortable with a certain cruiseline and dont like change.

I've been on plenty of CCL cruises, but since they instituted the 200% single rate, I thought it might be better to look around at other lines. I had realized that CCL offered less of a deal in the 10 yrs I've sailed on them. Yes, I accepted the fact that the value went down and economies in service were made due to the recession.

However, sailing on the Disney Dream simply blew me away. The puny CCL Ecstasy was in port with its lack of balconies and plastic palm trees and decor, what a disaster compared to the Dream. I'm now trying Princess, a higher level but still CCL, for a 12 night Med cruise, as well as NCL Epic. I'll also enjoy my landbased resorts.

If I only sailed CCL, I would never be able to appreciate the differences, good and bad between the variuos lines. I say I don't care for nightly entertainment based on what CCL offers, but I am looking forward to Blue Man Group on the Epic, as well as 3 specialty dinners for $45.

It was a review of an ncl cruise. If someone wants to learn about an ncl cruise or any line, go to that board and read the reviews. Pretty simple stuff.

Sounds like you might be afraid of hearing either the truth OR any opposing view. You're multiple posts make you sound pretty defensive.

The thing I like best about NCL is the whole Freestyle concept. Eat where you want, when you want, and with whom you want. I don't need/want the same dining staff night after night (why is it that that's the best part for some people?)

Freestyle is what gives me pause. I've done YTD on Carnival on two cruises and much prefer the fixed seating - I don't like standing in line waiting for a table. Now when I've talked with our neighbors who love NCL, they've always said they've never had to wait for a table and really enjoy Freestyle. Their brother's family, however, thought it was awful. There were a lot of kids on their cruise (they had two) and everyone wanted to eat at 6:30, so they either had to wait a long time, opt for one of the for-fee restaurants, or hit the buffet. Thoughts on Freestyle? Thanks in advance!

The lines are run independently. Ownership is the same. Management is different. I have no personal vendetta against Carnival or it's ownership. Why should I not continue to take cruises on Princess? Their ships are nice. They have the best European and Alaska itineraries. They also provide very good service and entertainment too and we like the smoking restrictions. When their prices are in line, we'll always consider them.

Sounds like you might be afraid of hearing either the truth OR any opposing view. You're multiple posts make you sound pretty defensive.

He is like all Cheerleader on all boards If a fair honest neutral review is posted lets say if it was reversed and a NCL posted a review like this the NCL cheerleaders would say the same thing. if the OP hav posted a negative review the cheerleaders would say "BRILLIANT"

And even more don't see what you a the minority are seeing and instead see a great cruiseline making positive additions in a tough economy.

Great meaning NCL right? Most of my cruises have been on NCL and I echo the OP.

Your posts to the contrary are sounding more and more trollish. Burying your head in the sand seems to help...

He is like all Cheerleader on all boards If a fair honest neutral review is posted lets say if it was reversed and a NCL posted a review like this the NCL cheerleaders would say the same thing. if the OP hav posted a negative review the cheerleaders would say "BRILLIANT"

Thats exactly why I have him on my ignore lsit...:):)....Dennis

Doesn't this belong on the ncl board?

I appreciate it being here. OP, I really enjoyed your mini review. I am a huge Carnival fan. Carnival has WOWed me with service. But I love good entertainment. I love live music on lido. I have enjoyed (thankfully) each CD I have had but I would like them to be more involved.

DH doesn't go with me on most cruises but I think he would really like NCL better. Perhaps we will try it. :) Thanks again.

Archived