music on Princess

labraiser

Just came off a celebrity S class ship and the music was everywhere! Loud and inappropiate. We understand at pool, clubs and bars and shows,but blasting in the dining areas and other decks is so annoying. Some of the bars are so loud,that people get drinks and leave the bars to get away from it. Does Princess do the same thing or are there areas that are somewhat more low keyed.

Thanks

No. Have not experienced what you state. If there is music in dining rooms it is very soft in the background. The live & recorded music is proper for the area it is played. Soft Dance in the Wheelhouse, Lively Rock and dance in Explorers, Dicso in Skywalkers after 10PM, Piano at Crooners, String Quartet or soft piano in the atrium, Big Band in various lounges, things like that. It is loud around the Lido Pool sometimes when they have the MUTS on with either movies or concerts. There is sometimes live music around the pool area. But, there are quite pools on most ships, the Terrace pool aft, Lotus pool forward, and the Oasis area aft.

The only area where I've heard music blasting is from MUTS and around the Neptune pool (the one furthest forward.) Never heard it blasting elsewhere. If a band is playing in a lounge, it can be loud but you have the option of being in the lounge or not.

I used to think he music was classy on Princess (musical quartet in the atrium, etc...).

My last 3 cruises (b2b2b) changed that theory. The music was so loud and annoying in the atrium that I avoided it at night. The pizzeria and Vines suffered from it.

It is sad as I used to like the piano players and musical instruments that used to be in the atrium and in several evening venues but Princess has changed (not for the better IMO).

We also had peaceful music played on MUTS one day and all of a sudden, loud, annoying music was blasted over the loud speakers. Most everyone left. I stayed and then there was an annoying concert that then played on MUTS, and then everyone else left. No one from CD staff was present to see what the reactions of their programming caused.

The music was so loud and annoying in the atrium that I avoided it at night.

I commented to the staff at customer service more than once that I felt bad for them having to constantly have to practically yell to be heard over the atrium music.

Edit: but to the OP, no, no loud music elsewhere on the ship without your consent (ie: you choosing to sit in the bar)

I commented to the staff at customer service more than once that I felt bad for them having to constantly have to practically yell to be heard over the atrium music.

Edit: but to the OP, no, no loud music elsewhere on the ship without your consent (ie: you choosing to sit in the bar)

I complained to the CD about the atrium music (and the lack of people in Vines and Alfredos and how we couldn't hear each other when we ate dinner in there) and he said the atrium was crowded with people who liked the band playing. I guess todays cruisers prefer a very loud, obnoxious band compared to beautiful music. Gosh - I sound old but I am in my early 40's.

It is one of those things that reinforces that Princess is not the line I fell in love with 14 or 15 years ago. I used to think cruising was a "classy experience". I no longer do.

I complained to the CD about the atrium music (and the lack of people in Vines and Alfredos and how we couldn't hear each other when we ate dinner in there) and he said the atrium was crowded with people who liked the band playing. I guess today's cruisers prefer a very loud, obnoxious band compared to beautiful music. Gosh - I sound old but I am in my early 40's.

It is one of those things that reinforces that Princess is not the line I fell in love with 14 or 15 years ago. I used to think cruising was a "classy experience". I no longer do.[/quote

We have not experienced, ship wide, what you mention. We feel the music is proper for the lounge it is being played in, the event it is played for, and the time of day. However, what is "music to my ears" may be noise to others. Believe in the Piazza on the Crown in 2011 they had an Eastern Europe style group with violins, accordion, & bass this was not to my liking as pre-dinner music. However, this past spring on the Star we had better music in the Piazza. If I remember correctly they had a String Quartet and a Piano player. I think the feeling Princess is trying to achieve on their ships with Piazzas is one of being outside in an outdoor setting with activities around you. Other quite places are available all over the ship.

Princess offers a variety of live music to match almost anyone's taste. We have found the music in the atrium to be good and not too loud. The groups will typically play half hour to 45 minute sets, then something different will replace them.

One of our best cruises have had a Brazilian group (Brasil Brazil) with spectators on all levels of the atrium and dancing in the piazza. They were not quiet, but appropriate and highly entertaining. We've also seen a lot of passengers stop and listen (and buy drinks) when the show band plays either Dixieland or Modern Jazz, both of which we find worth listening to.

There have been very good string quartets, and once a Hungarian Gypsy violin group.

It is a variety, and as can be seen from some of the posts, people prefer different musical styles. It is a big ship, and if something is not to our taste it is easy to move on.

I agree with others that MUTS can be too loud, and unfortunately we often have to traverse that area to get to lunch. But that's anything playing on MUTS...

I've actually felt on my last few cruises that the music in the Piazzas had improved. Each of my last few cruises had string quartets or piano players amongst the acts in the Piazza. I love listening to this type of music in the Piazza. My very first memory of my first Princess cruise was when we boarded for the first time and entered the atrium of the Golden Princess. It was beautiful and there was the wonderful sound of a string quartet playing at the time. It was magical.

I've actually felt on my last few cruises that the music in the Piazzas had improved. Each of my last few cruises had string quartets or piano players amongst the acts in the Piazza. I love listening to this type of music in the Piazza. My very first memory of my first Princess cruise was when we boarded for the first time and entered the atrium of the Golden Princess. It was beautiful and there was the wonderful sound of a string quartet playing at the time. It was magical.

I would have loved that! That is not what we had on the Sapphire :(

Archived