Thermostats

zijlweg

The heat and AC aren't separate units in each room, they are one central unit serving many cabins at a time.....you can turn it up or down, but without your own unit in your room with an actual thermostat, it can't be done!

You could bring along a thermometer and adjust the temp until you get close to the number you want!

I've never worried about the actual temp....it's the comfort that's important.

A contributing factor that many seem to be unaware of is when someone keeps their balcony door blocked open, it screws up the system for everyone else in that area. I've often wondered if the same people that use a bungee cord or doorstop to keep their balcony door propped open keep windows or doors open at home while the air-conditioner is running. Even though there's no actual thermostat for each cabin, with a little trial and error, you should be able to find a happy medium by closing one or more of the vents in your cabin.

A contributing factor that many seem to be unaware of is when someone keeps their balcony door blocked open, it screws up the system for everyone else in that area. I've often wondered if the same people that use a bungee cord or doorstop to keep their balcony door propped open keep windows or doors open at home while the air-conditioner is running. Even though there's no actual thermostat for each cabin, with a little trial and error, you should be able to find a happy medium by closing one or more of the vents in your cabin.

Does Carnival not have a thermostat in each cabin? You mention opening/closing some of the vents. On Princess we adjust the temperature at the thermostat

So even on a nice day one should keep the balcony doors closed?

Why is it that on a cruise ship you can only make it warmer or colder with the thermostat in your stateroom and not set an exact temperature?

Anyone knows?

All Thermostats have what is called a "differential".

In other words -- a +/- factor, at Set Point.

Say a setting at 70 deg. F can actually be 65/75 deg. F.

Many years ago, I was a Service Manager for a large Corporation.

We manfactured heating equipment.

The Thermostats, not of our manufacture, had temperature settings.

We received too many complaints concerning the Thermostats not being accurate. Due to differential.

So, we replaced the temperature settings with: Numbers or High/Low.

We let the customer set their Comfort Level.

The complaints stopped.

So even on a nice day one should keep the balcony doors closed?

Yes. Unlike at home when it is a nice day one would turn off the air and open the windows, a ship is different.

If the air was turned off on a ship it would get hot and stuffy inside, just like an office building.

I'm confused. We've always had a thermostat in our room (we cruise with NCL) and if we turn the air down, it's always gotten colder. If we turn it up, it gets warmer. How is it that you can't control the room air? :confused:

It's always worked for me as well. Anal retentive people need a rectal thermometer maybe?

All Thermostats have what is called a "differential".....................We received too many complaints concerning the Thermostats not being accurate. Due to differential.

So, we replaced the temperature settings with: Numbers or High/Low.

We let the customer set their Comfort Level.

The complaints stopped.

An excellent explanation and probably a good reason why cruise ship cabins use thermostat controls that passengers can set "warmer" or "cooler" but not to an exact temperature.

If they let us set the thermostat to a specific number of degrees, just imagine all the complaints they would receive about how the temperature in the cabin is not the temperature we set.

With the international passenger mix, it would also be compounded by Fahrenheit/Celsius confusion.

I don't know why but we have never had a problem with it. We also travel with an alarm clock from LL Bean which has a thermometer on it.

Very smart advice - everyone should pack a travel alarm clock. I find the temperature portion of it to be very helpful!

Archived