TS/ Hurricane Leslie

Julma

I know it is early, but I just saw the "cone of probability" for Leslie next week and Bermuda was smack dab in the middle. Looks like, as of now, it will affect Bermuda as a hurricane late next week. The Dawn cruises next Friday from Boston to Bermuda, if they can't make the trip to Bermuda does anyone have a "best guess" as to where they will head? While I was looking forward to visiting Bermuda I realize that NCL will do what is safest and a missed or diverted trip is a small inconvenience, but I would like to plan as much as I can.

they posted this on FB

ropical Storm Update

Friday, August 31, 2012 @ 2 pm ET

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Therefore, the company is closely monitoring the path of Tropical Storm Leslie which is forecast to impact Bermuda next week.

Currently, both Norwegian Dawn, departing Boston today, and Norwegian Star, departing New York on Sunday, will sail as scheduled to Bermuda. However, we will continue to closely monitor the storm’s path and keep our guests updated if there is any necessary itinerary change.

We appreciate our guests’ understanding.

I know it is early, but I just saw the "cone of probability" for Leslie next week and Bermuda was smack dab in the middle. Looks like, as of now, it will affect Bermuda as a hurricane late next week. The Dawn cruises next Friday from Boston to Bermuda, if they can't make the trip to Bermuda does anyone have a "best guess" as to where they will head? While I was looking forward to visiting Bermuda I realize that NCL will do what is safest and a missed or diverted trip is a small inconvenience, but I would like to plan as much as I can.

Depending on the course of the storm, they could go north to Canada or further out to sea to avoid the storm system.

By the time you board the ship next week, Leslie will be long past Bermuda and will be substantially weakened. I seriously doubt that you will not be able to call on Bermuda. However, depending upon what the storm does as it moves up the coast, the ship may have to take an altered course in order to avoid rough seas if possible.

This happened to us when hurricane igor hit Bermuda a few years back...we ending up going to Flordia and bahamas..

We were on the same cruise as Tigerlilly 2 years ago. Hurricane Igor was predicted to hit Bermuda (directly) on the very day we were supposed to dock. This was predicted for days before our depature, but the NCL ALERT message never changed. We packed for cool (Canada) weather, and warm weather. When we entered the terminal to head towards check in, we were handed a sheet of paper telling us that we'd be going to Port Canaveral (for 8 hours), then on to Nassau (for 8 hours). It was a very rocky cruise, but we were happy that we went south, rather than north. Next week's hurricane will be long gone before you depart on Friday. You should be sailing to Bermuda without a problem.

Enjoy

Cruiser1955a, we were on the same cruise two years ago. We had guessed that we would be headed to Canada, so I had packed several cooler weather items and , as it turned out, not enough shorts. It was 103 degrees when we left Nassau! It was a great cruise anyway, so no matter where a ship diverts, everyone should have a good time. Let's hope Leslie does not impact Bermuda.

Cruiser1955a, we were on the same cruise two years ago. We had guessed that we would be headed to Canada, so I had packed several cooler weather items and , as it turned out, not enough shorts. It was 103 degrees when we left Nassau! It was a great cruise anyway, so no matter where a ship diverts, everyone should have a good time. Let's hope Leslie does not impact Bermuda.

We were giggling all thru check-in, after recieving notice that we were heading south.

When a cruise is forced to change ports it takes a great deal of last minute planning for the cruise line. They need to arrange for dock space at the last minute, which can be a problem. The port fees & taxes also differ from port to port. We ended up getting a $50 OBC because of reduced fees at the ports we visited.

This year, the Dawn will be doing Canada runs out of Boston for a month, before heading south for the winter. This could mean that they'd be more inclined to re-route to Canada over the next few weeks, to avoid a hurricane, because they could test out their new route. Just a thought.

I and 12 others with me are on the Dawn 7th -14th. I agree that leslie will be weaker at that point BUT there are going to be 13 very unhappy people if we have to go to Canada. Since we are in Maine we can simply drive to Canada. Hope we get diverted south if at all possible. Keeping fingers crossed.

I and 12 others with me are on the Dawn 7th -14th. I agree that leslie will be weaker at that point BUT there are going to be 13 very unhappy people if we have to go to Canada. Since we are in Maine we can simply drive to Canada. Hope we get diverted south if at all possible. Keeping fingers crossed.

I am sure that would be disappointing to your group! At least on the ship you can have as many little umbrella drinks as you want because you don't have to "drive to Canada". ;) I just looked at the latest forecast and while some seem to think we will be okay to make it to Bermuda, I don't share in the optimism. Boy do I hope I am wrong. Only time will tell and hurricanes are hard to predict.

I can see 13 people being disappointed, but if you choose to be "very unhappy" on a week long cruise then that's a shame. Try to keep a positive attitude no matter what and you can still have a great time!

I plan to be on the Dawn this Friday also. About two years ago the same thing happened (bad weather, can not go to Bermuda). We were not told until day of departure, although some people did find out day before with their travel agents. At that time we went to Great Stirrup Cay, Port Canaveral, and Paradise Island. Here's hoping for smooth sailing :)

Leslie is on track for a direct hit to Bermuda as a Cat 2 hurricane on Sat evening - Sunday morning and will continue northward to Nova Scotia so it's likely Dawn will not be going to Canada if she can't go to Bermuda.

Maybe Dawn might do a different route and delay arriving in Bermuda by one day - arrive on Monday instead of Sunday.

Take Boninie .... the seas are going to be choppy :eek:

Leslie is moving northward which means she will prolly hit Nova Scotia after Bermuda so the Canada cruise is not likely!

Also Leslie is expected to strengthen to Cat 2 by the weekend.

Hi all,

2 years ago we had the same problem a hurricane heading towards Bermuda. What we did was sail down the coast away from the hurricane then over to Bermuda. Instead of arriving on Sunday we got there on Monday but we were able to stay until Wednesday so we didnt lose any Bermuda time. I must say I was worried about heavy seas but by going this route it was the smoothest sailing i have had and was very surprised.

Don't worry NCL will make the right judgement to keep you safe and have a wonderful trip!

NOAA's 11am update for today has the 5 day track with Bermuda right in the middle of the cone of probability this 8am Sunday at Hurricane Force 2.

So NCL will probably send both Dawn and Star around the weather and as long as there is no damage to Bermuda still call there.

Per this article in the Royal Gazette, they're expecting the Dawn to go to the Bahamas, with NCL making its final decision by Friday, the ship's departure day from Boston. Plans for the Star are less certain because that ship doesn't depart NY until Sunday afternoon:

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120905/NEWS/709059949

Leslie is on track for a direct hit to Bermuda as a Cat 2 hurricane on Sat evening - Sunday morning and will continue northward to Nova Scotia so it's likely Dawn will not be going to Canada if she can't go to Bermuda.

Maybe Dawn might do a different route and delay arriving in Bermuda by one day - arrive on Monday instead of Sunday.

I hope you and your husband stay safe!

Gary & Garee

I agree! Bonine and lots of champagne always works for me :D

wave_heights.jpg

And can you believe a remnant of Isaac is returning to the Gulf as Invest 90 - supposed to bring rain to us in Central FL.

NOAA's 11am update for today has the 5 day track with Bermuda right in the middle of the cone of probability this 8am Sunday at Hurricane Force 2.

So NCL will probably send both Dawn and Star around the weather and as long as there is no damage to Bermuda still call there.

It means the EYE of hurricane will be by Bermuda at 8am Sun, but the first high winds will reach us on Sat evening and it will be about 20-24 hours before it is redeemed safe to go outdoors.

Groan, groan, groan. Time to re-learn to play cards and games manually. And it's compulsory to stock up Gosling's Black Seal rum and cans of Barritt's or Gosling's ginger beer for drinking Dark n Stormy. Why don't you have one or two when you are on Dawn and think of us?

We will survive as we did before with Fabian, Florence and Igor. Bermuda is pretty strong.

I hope you and your husband stay safe!

Gary & Garee

Hey there! Great to hear from you and thanks for your thoughts. We're in Canada now (having put son into U of Guelph) and are flying home tomorrow. We've bought stuff for hurrie at a fraction of cost.

J & B visited Bermuda on Dawn in July and we took them out on island tour.

We're on Epic next mth ...

Archived