What % do you tip a driver in Europe?

I have started stuffing my envelopes for the various drivers I have reserved for our upcoming Med cruise.

I wanted to get a few comments on what is considered the "norm" Most are not tour guides but rather drivers (although RIL does give a pretty good overview).

But, a car service picking us up at the airport and dropping us off at our hotel I would not consider a "tour guide"?

So what did you give your drivers? Should I wait to see how interesting they make the drive or just do a straight x% across the board?

I suggest posting this in the Europe forum under each port of call. I did use RIL and will say we tipped 40-60 euro for a family of three after an all day tour. They are far more than just drivers. I used them in Rome and Naples. They were OUTSTANDING!!!

But agree car service maybe 5-10 euro depending on how many bags...

Patty

I thought you did not need to tip in Europe because everyone earns a living wage. That's what all of the Europeans say when commenting on the need to tip while over here.

John

My thoughts exactly!!! All we hear on the tipping posts is how no one in Europe tips because they get such a great wage and it is almost an insult to tip??? What's up with that??:eek::eek::eek:

My thoughts exactly!!! All we hear on the tipping posts is how no one in Europe tips because they get such a great wage and it is almost an insult to tip??? What's up with that??:eek::eek::eek:

I think you will find that the vast majority of wages earned in Europe fall behind those earned in the US and the cost of living is generally higher. It's not a case of no-one in Europe tipping and is nothing to do with wages earned, but a case of what is customary. The American custom is to tip, it is expected. Generally the European stance is to tip where service has been good, or goes beyond what is expected.

Having said that I know that cruising gratuities causes so much anguish to some Europeans and many will have the charges taken off their onboard accounts regardless of the exceptional service they may have received - not fair. My view is that I know when I book a cruise that many of the staff are very lowly paid and rely on gratuities, that's the cruising culture, and I know what the expected gratuities are so count them as part of the cost of the cruise. I admit I'm very much a novice having only taken 2 cruises, but so far would never dream of not paying the gratuities (unless the service was really appalling, but then I would go to Guest Relations to try to sort out the problem rather than removing gratuities altogether).

I know not everyone thinks this way, many think that they have paid enough for the cruise, why should they have to pay anything on top and I don't think anything I or anyone else thinks will ever change this, but please don't think that a) all Europeans are lousy tippers and b) all Europeans earn great wages!

I tipped a cab driver in Amsterdam my typical US amount, and a friend of mine living there told me it was not customary. Same with a local restaurant. He said they do not tip, and that prices are higher in order to cover that (the prices were significant higher than I'm used to)

So, I think it depends on the location.

While in London, our local friends suggested 10% as the norm. Same as our friends in Belfast suggested. They didn't seem to expect it in Germany but we always gave a few Euros which was always appreciated and never hurt my bottom line.

We rarely get an opportunity to poke a little bit at our friends across the big pond. Most of us know that Europe is a group of nations, I don't think we implied otherwise?

I will point out though, that if you search for the past year or so, you will find many/several posts straightening out us Yanks about how thinks are different in Europe and they don't do things the same way we do. I think Beaver and I were having a little fun with you folks!!!;)

We rarely get an opportunity to poke a little bit at our friends across the big pond. Most of us know that Europe is a group of nations, I don't think we implied otherwise?

I will point out though, that if you search for the past year or so, you will find many/several posts straightening out us Yanks about how thinks are different in Europe and they don't do things the same way we do. I think Beaver and I were having a little fun with you folks!!!;)

Hehe, of course you guys know that europe isnt a country but reading these boards you often speak of "the european way is this or that" "europeans do it this way" and so on. Just wanted to point out that cultures differ alot in europe. I'd say that us from northern europe has a more similar culture to yours :)

As I am the original OP, my question was not what was customary in any given country, but rather "What did you tip?"

We will be in the UK, Spain, Italy, and France....A tour guide I would expect to tip around 10% comments?...but, a driver? Not really sure?

Yes about 10% is what I tipped and I did use RIL, they were much more than just drivers. If you look on the Europe forum and read up on RIL you will see tipping is the norm.

Hope this helps,

Patty

In most of Europe tipping isn't mandatory in the way it in the US. However you should tip for good service.
What you're saying is inflict our cultural norms in Europe? When in Rome do as the Romans do. If it is insulting to tip why insult someone? Reading these boards the Europeans and Aussies tell us tipping is not their norn.

We just returned a couple of days ago and used RIL for all transfers and a tour in Naples. We tipped 10 E for each transfer and 20 E for the tour. Hope this helps.

Also, Rome in Limo was fantastic. This was the second trip that we've used them. Great company.

What you're saying is inflict our cultural norms in Europe? When in Rome do as the Romans do. If it is insulting to tip why insult someone? Reading these boards the Europeans and Aussies tell us tipping is not their norn.

I don't know of anywhere in Europe where it is insulting to tip (I did hear recently that it is in Japan, though obviously Japan isn't in Europe). It's more a case of what is or isn't expected. Most Europeans do not expect a tip although they will be grateful to receive one.

Using common sense is best. A taxi driver who is chatty and friendly is more likely to be rewarded with a tip than a grumpy one. For a short journey I would generally tip a couple of euros, for a longer journey around 10%. Similarly in restaurants, if the service is good and the dining experience is good, then a 10% tip would be appropriate, but if the food is rubbish and served by surly staff then you definitely shouldn't leave a tip as they need to learn to improve their customer service. However, if you do have a good experience but still don't leave a tip, it is highly unlikely that anything will be said (unlike in the US where you are likely to be shouted at regardless of how good or bad the service was).

I remember the cab driver in Barcelona told me 'We don't really expect a tip here like your guys do in the US, so no worries. If you want to give one that's fine, but the culture is different.' I really enjoyed talking to him, however, so I have him a tip of 5 to 10 Euros (can't remember exactly) and he was grateful.

It is definitely a different tipping culture in Spain, but he most certainly was not offended.

Archived