Kids meal in cagney's

cruisinmeme

I believe the key words here are "expose them". As I stated before, my children dislike long dinners and you will rarely find them sitting through one.. but food, oh my, food they like! Unlike one of the previous posters whose children first had lobster and calamari on a cruise, my children eat this at home. You are much more likely to eat fetticini Alfredo or lasagna at my house than mac and cheese. Same goes for Indian chicken or chicken saltimbocca than a chicken nugget. Also, a nice variety of "fine food" can be found in the regular restrauants on board. Dressing up and using good manners can be taught there (or even at home) as well as in Cagneys.

I was the poster that indicated that my children tried lobster, calamari and escargot on a cruise. They were FOUR OR FIVE AT THE TIME (or did you miss that?)...fettuccine alfredo and lasagna I would not consider gourmet fare...lol...caviar, lobster and escargot are acquired tastes and not something I serve for dinner on a Tuesday night (unlike at your house obviously). My now adult children not only enjoy good food, but know how to behave in a fine dining environment. That was certainly not taught on a cruise BTW it was taught long before they ever boarded a ship.

I was the poster that indicated that my children tried lobster, calamari and escargot on a cruise. They were FOUR OR FIVE AT THE TIME (or did you miss that?)...fettuccine alfredo and lasagna I would not consider gourmet fare...lol...caviar, lobster and escargot are acquired tastes and not something I serve for dinner on a Tuesday night (unlike at your house obviously). My now adult children not only enjoy good food, but know how to behave in a fine dining environment. That was certainly not taught on a cruise BTW it was taught long before they ever boarded a ship.

I don't consider the fettuccine or lasagna gourmet fare either and escargot is NOT served in my home at all. As a matter of fact, the first time my son had it was on a cruise.

My point was that children can experience and enjoy all different foods and have good manners if they are given the opportunity to experience them. It can be at home, a regular restaurant or at a fine dining establishment. Just because children do not enjoy long dinners doesn't not mean they will only like nuggets and hot dogs. If you felt I was being disparaging in any way, I assure you I was not.

As for lobster and cavier, everyone knows you serve them on Wednesday, not Tuesday.... :D;):D

I'm another vote for Why dine at Cagney's with children?

I love all the parents that come on here and say that there kids are the best, well behaved blah blah blah.

Out of all our cruises and can count on one finger the number of times I have gone to dinner and seen well behaved kids in the specialty restaurants, so I guess what parents are saying on here is that it's perfectly fine for their well behaved child to have a melt down. JMO

If there was a kids section I can see no problem. I am not so sure I would have the dining experience I planned if there were young children misbehaving at the next table. Sure, some parents would think their child’s behavior normal, while other patrons are thinking they are the family from hell. It is not unusual for the dad to give mom the evil eye and she ends up taking the child out.

Understood, it is a good to teach children how to behave in public unfortunately it should not be at the expense of others, and possibly Cagney’s is not the ideal restaurant to start out. We all think our children are well behaved, it is the responsibly of the parent to remove the child should he/she effect the ambiance.

We are all too polite and would sit tight, grin and bear the intrusion, rather than just leave or ask for another table.

I have, on a number of occasion’s complemented parents of well behaved children when leaving the dining room or restaurants. My comment usually consists of “you have a very nice family there”. I would hesitant in taking our grandkids into a fine restaurant, who knows when a minor meltdown can happen?

I love all the parents that come on here and say that there kids are the best, well behaved blah blah blah.

Out of all our cruises and can count on one finger the number of times I have gone to dinner and seen well behaved kids in the specialty restaurants, so I guess what parents are saying on here is that it's perfectly fine for their well behaved child to have a melt down. JMO

Well said!!! It's amazing that not a single parent comes on and admits their child sometimes acts out. But we all seems to have some experience with unruly kids in the restaurants. As I've said on others posts about this, last year a family had to be asked to leave Cagney's for their unruly kid. Round of applause to the Maitre 'd after.

Children are always well-behaved in the first person (i.e., "my precious snowflake is an angel"). They only turn into satanic little monsters hell-bent on the ear-splitting destruction of everything decent and holy in the second person ("your caterwauling demonspawn"), or in the third person ("his/her/their food-flinging anklebiter").

Personally, my stepdaughter loves salads, fettucine alfredo, Indian curry, and sushi, as well as many other foods. As a matter of fact we went out for a sushi dinner just last night. Then again, she's 12 - but she acted just as adult as any of the adults in the restaurant.

That said, we usually eat in the main dining rooms while on a cruise, but I really do want to take her to Teppanyaki for the 'show'.

Let's face it. Everyone has their moments. Adult and kids alike. I've left mid meal with one or more of my children more than once. It's embarrassing for the parent. We do everything to teach our kids, to remind them, to practice patience, but sometimes someone gets kicked under the table...

Earlier dining is usually practiced by diners with children just for that matter. But honestly, how do you all get your little ones to leave kids crew! My 6yo is going on 11 cruises and we have to drags her out to eat!

:)

Just saying, as parents we try, sorry if we or our kids aren't perfect. Please ask to be seated elsewhere, we won't be offended, but we'd like a nice meal on a cruise sometimes too, and we'd like to Try to enjoy it with our family.

As a cruiser with no kids, I'll go ahead and play the bad guy role here.

First of all, many of you are talking about "kids" in general, and including your pre-teen to college age kids in this discussion. On behalf of the "anti-children in specialty restaurants" contingent, let me officially say, we're not talking about you!

However, if I paid my cover fee and then proceeded to be sat by any group that included a child under the age of six, I'd asked to be moved as far away as possible, as soon as possible. Yes, your darling little angel may behave himself or herself--but we've all seen an equal number of young children who can't, and I wouldn't want to take the risk.

And beyond that, your child doesn't need to be acting poorly to be a distraction. Children that young often have trouble controlling the volume of their voice; as such, even a "this escargot is awesome" expression from a four year old at a loud volume could easily take me out of the quiet, romantic moment I'm having the next booth over. Further, a two hour meal with no other distractions can even be difficult for many adults (read the criticisms on Le Bistro if you don't believe me), so it's totally unfair to expect it of young children.

It's just my two cents, though. I'm sure the rabid parents will ardently disagree, but for those of you who use the kids club and choose to use your specialty restaurants as date nights--thanks in advance!

It's interesting how some threads become a debate. The original question was concerning prices for children eating in specialty restaurants. Now it's a debate on whether or not children should be allowed in them to begin with. It reminds me of that game where you get a group of people together, someone tells the person next to them, whispering, a short story. They repeat it to the next person and so on. By the time you get to the last person in the group it's an entirely different story.

Well said!!! It's amazing that not a single parent comes on and admits their child sometimes acts out. But we all seems to have some experience with unruly kids in the restaurants. As I've said on others posts about this, last year a family had to be asked to leave Cagney's for their unruly kid. Round of applause to the Maitre 'd after.

I cannot remember seeing one post about an adult coming on here and saying they got blind drunk and made a scene in a restaurant either.

I have found most people that post on this board are the type that do not want to intrude on others vacation but do want to enjoy what they have purchased same as you.

Because some children enjoy dressing up and eating out at a nice restaurant. Some children enjoy trying new foods. Some children behave totally appropriate in specialty restaurants.

Some parents really like to spend as much time with their children while they are young because they grow up so fast.

Children are passengers same as everyone else on the ship. They deserve more than chicken nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs if they so choose.

Thank You. From a mom with 2 seasoned travelers who no longer eat mac and cheese and chicken nuggets. Especially on a cruise.

When they were 6 and under we did Disney cruises cause that was what we would all enjoy. Now they at 10 and 8 and they want slides and shows (not cartoons) they want escargot and lobster. This is our first NCL cruise and the draw was the slides and ice bar. They will be in specialty restaraunts with us, perod. If they act up they will be spoken too and the behavior will be corrected just like any other dinner out. I don't care if they are at TGIF or Flemmings we have the same expectations of thier behavior.

Does a screaming baby or toddler drive me crazy? yes but I think to myself that "poor mom and dad" kids are kids not robots. Would I hope the a parent would remove the upset child from the restraunt and see how to settle them down? Yes

Edited by Jenjer
to add more

I cannot remember seeing one post about an adult coming on here and saying they got blind drunk and made a scene in a restaurant either.

I have found most people that post on this board are the type that do not want to intrude on others vacation but do want to enjoy what they have purchased same as you.

Big difference though. I would approach an obnoxious adult or have wait staff or Maitre 'd and have it taken care of. Most of us wouldn't dare approach some of the parents that post on here about their precious little Johnny or Janie!!

Big difference though. I would approach an obnoxious adult or have wait staff or Maitre 'd and have it taken care of. Most of us wouldn't dare approach some of the parents that post on here about their precious little Johnny or Janie!!

Sorry but I do not see a difference. If someone is interfering with enjoyment of what you paid for why not speak up? Why wouldn't you talk to the staff about a rude child?

If there was a kids section I can see no problem. I am not so sure I would have the dining experience I planned if there were young children misbehaving at the next table. Sure, some parents would think their child’s behavior normal, while other patrons are thinking they are the family from hell. It is not unusual for the dad to give mom the evil eye and she ends up taking the child out.

There isn't a children's section of Cagney's because NCL allows children to dine there and in fact provides them with a specialty resturaunt kids menu. We won't be taking him into the spa, because he isn't allowed there.

We will be dining early with our son as that's when he eats, and we hope we will be out of there before romantic dinner time. And I thought it went without saying that if he acts up (cries, shouts, gets belligerant) we will remove him.

However, the idea that a child may ruin, simply by his age, another diner's experience is ridiculous. My husband and I have had nice dinners out and had them ruined by kids and adults alike. At one place a drunk couple had a loud, raunch argument within earshot, at another a couple having a romantic dinner grossed us out when a much younger woman fed her much older date lobster, baby bird style. Ewwww.

On our first cruise with our son he was 2 and we ate in the main dining room with him every night and didn't make it through to dessert until the 5th night. We could sense when he was getting near cranky and removed him prior to that - if that meant we had to grab cookies at the buffet for dessert than so be it.

On the last night the elderly couple seated across from us motioned me over and said that he had been extremely well behaved, that he reminded them of their grandson, and that I was an excellent mom. I beemed at that - as I was always conscious of my son's behaviour and the effect it might have on others.

So, yes, we will be dining in Cagney's (and Le Bistron and Moderno's) with our 3 year old. Because it is allowed, and because we are responsible enough to make sure that our nice dinner doesn't ruin anyone else's. If you feel the need to ask to be moved, don't worry, we won't mind. And if you stick around you might just be surprised.

Edited by Joules1111

As a cruiser with no kids, I'll go ahead and play the bad guy role here.

First of all, many of you are talking about "kids" in general, and including your pre-teen to college age kids in this discussion. On behalf of the "anti-children in specialty restaurants" contingent, let me officially say, we're not talking about you!

However, if I paid my cover fee and then proceeded to be sat by any group that included a child under the age of six, I'd asked to be moved as far away as possible, as soon as possible. Yes, your darling little angel may behave himself or herself--but we've all seen an equal number of young children who can't, and I wouldn't want to take the risk.

And beyond that, your child doesn't need to be acting poorly to be a distraction. Children that young often have trouble controlling the volume of their voice; as such, even a "this escargot is awesome" expression from a four year old at a loud volume could easily take me out of the quiet, romantic moment I'm having the next booth over. Further, a two hour meal with no other distractions can even be difficult for many adults (read the criticisms on Le Bistro if you don't believe me), so it's totally unfair to expect it of young children.

It's just my two cents, though. I'm sure the rabid parents will ardently disagree, but for those of you who use the kids club and choose to use your specialty restaurants as date nights--thanks in advance!

I don't have kids, so I am not "in that camp". I am more in the camp of people should follow rules. There is no rules against kids in Cagney's or any other restaurant. There is that "unwritten rule" that if your child misbehaves, you take them out. And if they will not settle down, you leave. On the other hand, many children do behave.

But if I was so averse to sitting next to a child who might disrupt my evening just by talking, I would probably take the latest reservation available, (and hope the little angels have gone to bed and that I am not bothered by rude or drunk adults).

My toddler is both awesome and amazingly well-behaved and a complete crazy, rat-bastard -- sometimes all in the same day. I think that's true with most children (and adults, for that matter).

We do plan to take him with us to some specialty restaurants, but earlier so as to get him into bed on time. He won't be going with us to the Chef's Table, but we'll at least try the Italian specialty restaurant with him. He'll be with us in Cagney's daily for breakfast and lunch. I think the key at dinner may be to skip dessert and/or bring it back to the cabin to avoid an extra long meal time. He can be entertained at the table for 45min-1 hour most nights. However, if he acts up, we will immediately leave, and if he's in a bad mood or over-tired prior, we'll cancel the reservation and have the butler bring us dinner.

Right now, at 11 months old, my child's favorite food is chicken tikka masala.

Some kids can handle nice meals, others can't. Same as adults. My in-laws wouldn't have the faintest clue how to behave at Cagney's (nor would they even try Indian food). If you feel the need to avoid us at dinner because our toddler is with us, so be it, but our child will behave or be gone.

My toddler is both awesome and amazingly well-behaved and a complete crazy, rat-bastard -- sometimes all in the same day. I think that's true with most children (and adults, for that matter).

We do plan to take him with us to some specialty restaurants, but earlier so as to get him into bed on time. He won't be going with us to the Chef's Table, but we'll at least try the Italian specialty restaurant with him. He'll be with us in Cagney's daily for breakfast and lunch. I think the key at dinner may be to skip dessert and/or bring it back to the cabin to avoid an extra long meal time. He can be entertained at the table for 45min-1 hour most nights. However, if he acts up, we will immediately leave, and if he's in a bad mood or over-tired prior, we'll cancel the reservation and have the butler bring us dinner.

Right now, at 11 months old, my child's favorite food is chicken tikka masala.

Some kids can handle nice meals, others can't. Same as adults. My in-laws wouldn't have the faintest clue how to behave at Cagney's (nor would they even try Indian food). If you feel the need to avoid us at dinner because our toddler is with us, so be it, but our child will behave or be gone.

You can sit at the table next to mine anytime.

and have the butler bring us dinner.

I really like that attitude, we brought up three kids and we always respected the folks around us. Ours were certainly not angels all the time, (three boys?).

• 4 years later...
100% Agree. My daughter is 4yrs old, and we take her to the most high end restaurants. She behaves appropriately, even folding napkin on her lap. She is classier then 90% of the people dining at Cagneys!

You bumped up a 5 year old thread which contains information that is now inaccurate just to brag about your daughter? I hope folks don't read it and think kids eat free crab cake at Cagneys!