Dining room table location

Has anyone been able to request a specific table location (specific deck, near a window, etc) in the MDR for traditional dining in advance? On our past cruises, once we got to our cabin and we got our table assignment we would go to the dining room to see where it is located. If we were unhappy with the location we would request a change and have always been accomodated, but I am wondering if there is a way to put in a request in advance so we do not have to go through this procedure.

Thank you. Have you done this successfully?

I made my seating request about 3 months prior to sailing. I immediately received an automated reply that all requests would be accommodated if possible. I was surprised when 4 weeks later I was copied on an email response from the restaurant operations department confirming my request and even provided the table number. I am 3 weeks away from my sailing but I hope everything goes as planned.

I made my seating request about 3 months prior to sailing. I immediately received an automated reply that all requests would be accommodated if possible. I was surprised when 4 weeks later I was copied on an email response from the restaurant operations department confirming my request and even provided the table number. I am 3 weeks away from my sailing but I hope everything goes as planned.

That is good to hear. We are sailing on Nov 2 so I will send my request a little later. Enjoy your cruise!

Just curious...what kind of table requests are you making? What tables are considered preferable in the MDR?

I really like to sit near the railing in the middle--ceiling is higher, great view of chandelier, feeling of more space in general, view/within earshot of any live ensembles, generally a better aspect.

Actually, for my DH all that matters is that it doesn't get quite as hot in that location. By the window, in the low-ceilinged areas (which I believe often includes a step up onto a platform), he broils in his clothes--especially on formal night!

When I am aboard a ship, I try to remember and note the table nos. that correspond with the best locations IMO. Then, if I'm on the ship again, I have a head start on getting my request in.

I understand that suite guests can have the concierge use their pull to swing good tables, i.e. the tables they want.

Just curious...what kind of table requests are you making? What tables are considered preferable in the MDR?

We like to be on deck 5 close to the railing overlooking the deck 4 portion of the dining room. It does not feel cramped and you have a good view of the waiters performances.

Make your request about 2 weeks before sailing at rcldining@rccl.com

I sent my request for our Nov. 2 cruise on the Saturday before Labor Day. On Tuesday I received an email informing me that they have honored my request and told me my table number and where it was located in the main dining room.

• 1 month later...

We just got off the Navigator and had an awful table location (no complaints about other guests or wait staff!)

We were right in the corner of the lower floor by the mirrored wall next to the Arabesque room. We felt miles away from the main room and the various activities. Completely lacked atmosphere. A large table for 10 with 6 guests meant it felt a bit empty at times too.

A complaint to the Maitre d' was met with a shrug (and bizarrely a denial that the table was not full - despite only 6 people being sat down!).

As Emerald members we expected to get a good table - is this unreasonable?!

We just got off the Navigator and had an awful table location (no complaints about other guests or wait staff!)

We were right in the corner of the lower floor by the mirrored wall next to the Arabesque room. We felt miles away from the main room and the various activities. Completely lacked atmosphere. A large table for 10 with 6 guests meant it felt a bit empty at times too.

A complaint to the Maitre d' was met with a shrug (and bizarrely a denial that the table was not full - despite only 6 people being sat down!).

They table could have had 10 people assigned to it but 4 of them decided to not to dine in the MDR.

As Emerald members we expected to get a good table - is this unreasonable? Yes.

Unfortunately, someone has to be assigned to this "awful table location". On this particular cruise, it happened to be you. Did you expect them to move some lowly Gold member to that table so that you could flaunt your Emerald status and sit at a more preferred location? How would you feel if you loved your original table location and a Diamond member came up to you and told you that you had to move so that THEY could sit there?

As Emerald members we expected to get a good table - is this unreasonable?!

I am sure 10 people were ASSIGNED that table but only 6 chose to take advantage. or perhaps the waitstaff had so many other customers that it was deemed they could only handle six at that table.

personally I feel an expectation that your status somehow makes you more worthy of a particular dining location.. well that irks me. smacks of entitlement.. what, should those on their first cruise be given the

'crappy' seats..which is, of course, subjective. there might actually be a group of people who would have traded places with you in a heartbeat

they cannot please everyone. they do their best. sometimes, you just get the short end of the stick.

Did you expect them to move some lowly Gold member to that table so that you could flaunt your Emerald status and sit at a more preferred location? How would you feel if you loved your original table location and a Diamond member came up to you and told you that you had to move so that THEY could sit there?

I wasn't suggesting that anyone should be moved or bumped from their location. Nor do we "flaunt" our status (which is fairly low down the pecking order).

I wasn't suggesting that anyone should be moved or bumped from their location. Nor do we "flaunt" our status (which is fairly low down the pecking order).

As you recognize that your status is relatively low on the pecking order, why it you mention it?

next time, you might have more luck changing tables if you check your table location as soon as you board. If you do not like the location see the Madre D during his posted hours right on embarkation afternoon.

Once on board, and you request a different table, no one is 'bumped'. Empty tables abound as people move around, especially with all the new dining options.

People are moved around however to break up incompatabilities such as having a russian only speaking couple with a english only speaking couple. So spots/table do open up once on board.

sometimes there are plenty of empty spaces, sometimes there are few or none.

for example, sometimes a large number of passengers all want, say, main seating. So the Madre D squeezes in as many people as he can into main seating before the cruise and on day one. Early MTD slots also tend to fill in this situation. With a all seats filled, the Madre D may not have a good spot to move a dinner who is unhappy with their table location. (the empty seats one sees at tables likely are assigned, even if unused.). in this example, late seating probably has lots of space to move about.

Archived