Here we go again: ESPN

ufalum88

Darn I posted this before I read yours.... GO STEELERS

No problem...The more "Go Steelers" the better!!!:D:D:D

I'm speechless, it's a bunch of millionaires playing a GAME.............

And movies are a bunch of actors playing make-believe...no difference...both enjoyable to watch & most of us pay to do it!!!

"HUGE sacrifice"? You have got to be kidding me. This statement makes football fans seem like idiots.

It doesn't make them seem like idiots to me. It is a HUGE sacrifice when someone is willing to give up something they really love to do something else with/for someone else.

It doesn't make them seem like idiots to me. It is a HUGE sacrifice when someone is willing to give up something they really love to do something else with/for someone else.

I don't equate giving up the viewing of a game of sport as a "HUGE sacrifice".

We will have to agree to disagree!

I don't equate giving up the viewing of a game of sport as a "HUGE sacrifice".

We will have to agree to disagree!

I guess I'll agree to disagree, even though generally I don't agree with doing that. ;)

It just cracks me up how people in these forums often demand every last detail of your situation before giving you the benefit of the doubt and refraining from slamming you for your stated wishes and opinions.

It IS a huge sacrifice for my husband, who works circa 10-12 hours a day, nearly 7 days a week all summer in horrific heat (and he hates heat and does not tolerate it well) and gets through it mainly only thanks to the prospect of NFL football starting up just when his big work season ends. All he wants to do for awhile is sleep in, stay home, live in his sweats and camp out in front of the TV, watching football. And I think he has earned that. I think he deserves and needs a little rest, a little peace and quiet.

But he also loves to cruise. Our whole family does. It's our family vacation of choice. If we do it in the summer, we have to do it without my husband, so we are doing it in the fall this year. If at all possible, we would like to combine both cruising and DH's favorite downtime activity. But based on the very slim chance that any of "our" games will be broadcast on a ship, we have to reckon with a no-NFL week.

Maybe you don't understand the decisions we make and how we feel about them, what our priorities are. Whatever. Maybe I don't understand yours, but I'll keep that opinion to myself. How presumptuous of me, were I to judge you and your life, knowing nothing about any of it at all!

So, you don't watch Movies or Television? Same millionaires status, just not in as good a shape! :p

Not much. And you're missing the point even if I did I wouldn't schedule my life or vacations around it:rolleyes: I AM a sports fan and hope the Detriot Lions do well this year, but I won't be scheduling my family life around a bunch of guys I'll never know playing a game on TV. If I'm home with nothing better to do I'll watch the game, but I won't tell my wife and kids that I can't be with them because" the game" is on........

I have friends who are obsessed with NASCAR and watch it every Sunday like a religion. They won't even answer the phone while it's on. Pathetic, get a life.......

Not much. And you're missing the point even if I did I wouldn't schedule my life or vacations around it:rolleyes: I AM a sports fan and hope the Detriot Lions do well this year, but I won't be scheduling my family life around a bunch of guys I'll never know playing a game on TV. If I'm home with nothing better to do I'll watch the game, but I won't tell my wife and kids that I can't be with them because" the game" is on........

I have friends who are obsessed with NASCAR and watch it every Sunday like a religion. They won't even answer the phone while it's on. Pathetic, get a life.......

I agree with you, my wife comes first or foremost! Would never engage in any other antivity (ies) at the expense of spending time with her.:) Didn't miss any point, just paralleled millionares in the "entertaininment" business.

I always schedule my vacations so they don't conflict with the Steelers. I never have to tell the wife and kids I won't be spending time with them because the game is on, because they'll be there with me, my oldest, now married ,daughter still comes to the house on game days with her former Bengal fan husband, all dressed in our Steeler Jerseys, white or black for home or away. I'm not much of a NASCAR person but don't find it pathetic, if it's what they enjoy then I'd say they have a life and who am I to judge.

I guess I'll agree to disagree, even though generally I don't agree with doing that. ;)

It just cracks me up how people in these forums often demand every last detail of your situation before giving you the benefit of the doubt and refraining from slamming you for your stated wishes and opinions.

It IS a huge sacrifice for my husband, who works circa 10-12 hours a day, nearly 7 days a week all summer in horrific heat (and he hates heat and does not tolerate it well) and gets through it mainly only thanks to the prospect of NFL football starting up just when his big work season ends. All he wants to do for awhile is sleep in, stay home, live in his sweats and camp out in front of the TV, watching football. And I think he has earned that. I think he deserves and needs a little rest, a little peace and quiet.

But he also loves to cruise. Our whole family does. It's our family vacation of choice. If we do it in the summer, we have to do it without my husband, so we are doing it in the fall this year. If at all possible, we would like to combine both cruising and DH's favorite downtime activity. But based on the very slim chance that any of "our" games will be broadcast on a ship, we have to reckon with a no-NFL week.

Maybe you don't understand the decisions we make and how we feel about them, what our priorities are. Whatever. Maybe I don't understand yours, but I'll keep that opinion to myself. How presumptuous of me, were I to judge you and your life, knowing nothing about any of it at all!

Very well said!!!:D

One more sports story, Thanksgiving Day 1998, we were at Disneyworld in the middle of a week long vacation with the 3 kids (ages 11,11, 8). the Steelers were in the game against the Lions. I got up that morning and asked the kids if they wanted to go to Magic Kingdom or hang at the pool, they looked at me and said "Dad, the Steelers are on."

I always schedule my vacations so they don't conflict with the Steelers. I never have to tell the wife and kids I won't be spending time with them because the game is on, because they'll be there with me, my oldest, now married ,daughter still comes to the house on game days with her former Bengal fan husband, all dressed in our Steeler Jerseys, white or black for home or away. I'm not much of a NASCAR person but don't find it pathetic, if it's what they enjoy then I'd say they have a life and who am I to judge.

Wow you've made my point. I would never dream of scheduling my life or vacations around an entertainment/TV/athletic event schedule, whether it be football or a TV show. And believe it or not I'm a football fan, but not a football fanatic I guess.......

Wow you've made my point. I would never dream of scheduling my life or vacations around an entertainment/TV/athletic event schedule, whether it be football or a TV show. And believe it or not I'm a football fan, but not a football fanatic I guess.......

Well I'm glad I made someone's point. The Steelers are a large part of life in my home including many many great family times, I couldn't imagine giving that up for anything.

...you've never been to church in Green Bay, WI.

GO PACK! :D

"like" :D

I scheduled a cruise during NFL playoffs, never thinking that my Packers would be in them that year. Well, not only did they manage to make the wild card round, they won the whole thing that year :eek:

I was one of many, sitting out by the pool watching MUTS on the Ruby Princess during sailaway - the sunset in the background and the Packers on the big screen. I was in heaven. I was thrilled when I learned that the following week's game would be on Saturday and not Sunday, because I would still be at sea. Two weekends in a row being able to watch my Packers win was one of the best memories of that cruise :) I also met a very nice group of people from Madison that first week, and we ended up sitting together to watch the game the following weekend. We had all brought our Packers' jerseys to wear. In fact, I saw a lot of football jerseys on that cruise.

And no, if Princess couldn't show NFL playoff games I would not have canceled the cruise and lost $1000+ but you can bet I would have been following the game somehow, probably burning up lots of Internet minutes.

One more sports story, Thanksgiving Day 1998, we were at Disneyworld in the middle of a week long vacation with the 3 kids (ages 11,11, 8). the Steelers were in the game against the Lions. I got up that morning and asked the kids if they wanted to go to Magic Kingdom or hang at the pool, they looked at me and said "Dad, the Steelers are on."

We were due to cruise the first week in February 2002 with my in laws for their 50th wedding anniversary. Because of 9/11 football season was delayed a week. The playoff game was the week before the cruise ...we played New England:mad:. My MIL and I went out and bought all the warm weather Steeler gear we could find we were sure the Steelers were going to be in the Super Bowl. Unfortunately we didn't win :mad:(notice I did not say we lost) So we didn't even watch the Superbowl that year when we were on the ship.

I always say my three favorite teams are the Steelers and who ever beats the Patriots and the Ravens:D

Such passion in the myriad of answers. In SEC country Fall is the most wonderful time of the year. I understand OP's post. No cruising for us in the fall because it is football season...Both High School and College. I know alot of people don't understand it, but it is the way of the south.

Happily Married for 33 years and bleeding Orange and Blue

Go Gators!!!

folks i love sports but i also love to cruise...20 or 30 yrs ago i would have said nope we'll stay home and go a different time...nope...cruising comes before sports...you can always see a sporting event...you can't always go on a cruise...and this is coming from someone that has been in las vegas for every super bowl since Farve beat the Patriots back in the mid 1990's...it's jsut a way of life...but if we found a steal of a deal on a cruise for that weekend i would be on the deck chair and the super bowl would be missed that yr...life is too short...take the cruise and sports will be there when you get home...

We have Bucs season tickets and yes, we plan a Fall cruise around the football schedule. We would never miss a home game! We will be on Liberty when the Bucs play the Broncos (in Denver) in Nov. and I am hoping we get to see the game on the ship, but I won't count on it. We will definitely DVR it, but I totally and completely understand anyone not cruising during football season.

You have 8 months a year to cruise!

My 2 passions are cruising and football, 2 years ago when I got to be on Navigator and sit in the sports bar and watch my Bucs, I was in absolute heaven!! :D

Go Gators! Go Bucs!

Pretty sad actually, "lets stay in a motel room and watch a TV game instead of living a real life............."

Did it ever occur to you that watching football is a big part of some people's "real life"? Some enjoy doing it together, as a family. How is that any worse than doing any other activity (like vacationing) together as a family?

Scheduling you cruising time around sports is one thing, not turning up to a family wedding because a game is on? That's just unacceptable.
Not turning up for family wedding because a game is on would never happen here -- NO ONE would schedule a wedding on a game day! Here no one schedules ANYTHING during game time - school board meetings, church services, dinner parties have all been rearranged when the schedule changes. I grew up in Green Bay, went to college where the Packers have thier training camp, I live in Green Bay now - while I am not a SuperFan, I do fully understand, because it is SO ingrained into thelocal mentality.

Archived