Here we go again: ESPN

ufalum88

and i have always thought there is something wrong with a man that doesnt watch football !!!

Trust me on this. There is nothing wrong with a man that doesn't watch football. especially college football. Happily married for 25 years to one of them. :)

Girlfriend? wife? Which is it?

Yeah, I noticed that too.

:D As a fellow Florida alum, I feel your pain. To those other folks posting about his "priorities" you simply do not understand. Although I understand how folks living in VA wouldn't get "it".:cool: Fresh Gator meat? Not in your lifetime :D

By the way, the hubster and I have been married for 26 wonderful, Gator football filled years.

They just don't understand Gator Nation. We will tape TN game when we cruise but will still hate to miss watching it live on TV. Married 49 wonderful , Gator Football filled years.

When my son scheduled his wedding, he made sure ahead of time that it didn't conflict with a WVU football game. Both my wife and I have had season tickets for many years and that is one of our priorities. We have also been on over 20 cruises, and try to avoid missing any games whenever possible. We are both avid fans.

Now, back to the originial programming. From what I can see, the game is not one of the main ones being shown on ESPN, so it is very unlikely that it will be broadcast on the ship. Usually, the main NCAAF games we have caught on board are the night games.

We have good friends we met cruising who have named their dogs Alli and Gator. We root for the Gators on their behalf-it was a bit scary yesterday!

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I guess when I said, "before we get into a discussion of priorities" I had hoped to preempt the rushes to judgement. I forgot some folks cannot help themselves. :rolleyes: In spite of the fact that some folks have never walked a mile in my moccasins, they feel that they know enough to assess the situation. Matthew 7:1 Did you know I was not supposed to be on this cruise as it was to be a Mommy/Daughter weekend? Did you know that there was a date I could go at the end of the month but instead, this date was chosen because I was not to be included? No, you knew none of that, but you felt comfortable enough to comment.

As an FYI, if you are a serious fan of a team (or your significant other is a fan), setting a DVR is a no brainer, but not an option. Watching a game for which you already know the outcome is just reinforcing the fact that you missed it.

Plus, out of 365 days in a year, 13 or 14 of them are days featuring God's sport...college football. That's less than 4% of the year. So, before you preach about wanting to spend with your time with your significant other and how they should want to spend time with you...why not take a moment and recognize that it is a two way street, think of them and realize the minor nature of this one request. I am lucky, though. My wife and I recognize each one of us has things which are important to us that the other might not see the same way. I hope you are lucky enough to be with someone as understanding as we are to each other; although judging from your post...

Actually I wasn't going to judge - I was simply going to suggest that your wife go without you and make it a "Mommy/Daughter" weekend because that is what would happen in my house if my husband ever tried to schedule a cruise around a football game - the girls and I would wave as we left carrying our suitcases ;)

I totally understand your issue...and I'm not a guy.

I heard football mentioned at church this morning many times over and over.

I'm sure it's a SEC thing. HA!

BTW, I don't live in Bama anymore so no wise cracks about church in Bama. ;)

There are just no words for this post. Wow...

Why is that? DH and I live for football season and have gone on a Super Bowl cruise - so much fun! On our 14 night Hawaii cruise last November/December, Princess had all of the football games on MUTS and the area was packed for every game.

Nothing is more important than football in the fall - n-o-t-h-i-n-g! :D:D:D

Man, I always find it amusing how many people feel the need to rush to judgement. They clearly aren't avid sports fans yet decided to click on the thread titled ESPN and boast their 'superior' judgement upon others.

I completely understand, and remember when my husband and I were planning our wedding during football season, trying to decide if we went with a bye weekend, or an away game, just so we wouldn't miss a home game. And now we have our next vacation coming up, conveniently scheduled over two away games and a bye weekend.

I wish you luck with finding a way to catch the game, b/c I'll be doing the same thing in a few weeks, and hope others can just avoid casting judgement on a topic they are clearly not passionate about!

My wife would like me to go on a cruise with her this weekend on Royal Caribbean, but because I wait all year for college football season I told her that 9/8/12 is a bad day for me to cruise. I will not miss the Texas A&M v. Florida game. Now before we get into a discussion of priorities, I was wondering if anyone knew if the ESPN aboard the Majesty of the Seas was the same soccer-centric ESPN International that plagues, I mean is featured on, most cruises?

I assume it is but I cannot find the schedule for this channel. I looked on the ESPN website and they do not even list "ESPN International". Rather, they have a number of international channels who's schedule can be found here: http://intltv.espn.com/on_air/tv_listings. I see that the game I want on the regular ESPN and the 'ESPN2 Caribbean', but are either of those the one on the ship? With my luck...no.

Any insight here?

RCI will almost certainly have college football on (they have on EVERY fall cruise I've been on) but it's always a crap shoot what game you'll see. They typically carry a single game for each time slot (noon, 3:30 and early evening) and tend to show more ESPN/ABC games than others. Having said that....UF-TAMU is on the mothership (ESPN) Saturday...you might get lucky. Go Gators!

Andy

wow, people judge much???

I know the original poster explained a bit more, supposed to be mother/daughter trip etc..... but really, he didn't need to even explain himself.

Maybe he goes on 10 vacations a year with his wife, whats one without him? Hes willing to compromise. That makes a good marriage to me. Knowing what is important to my husband is important to me. Making someone go on a cruise that he/she doesnt want to go on, that doesn't sound like much of a marriage to me.

He already weighed in when I told him about this thread. He said he felt sorry for your wife that you put unimportant things ahead of her.

Happily married 31 years :D[/quote

Was that the only week they had cruise??? She should have known better looks like she didn't take his feelings into consideration.

I get it. I understand how important some men think sports are, but the OP is putting football games before vacationing with his wife.

I enjoy football, much more than almost any other woman I know, but I would never put a game before vacationing and my DH wouldn't either. In fact, neither of us would ever put anything ahead of each other.

Did you not see the part where the OP said "before we get into a discussion of priorities"?

My wife would like me to go on a cruise with her this weekend on Royal Caribbean, but because I wait all year for college football season I told her that 9/8/12 is a bad day for me to cruise. I will not miss the Texas A&M v. Florida game. Now before we get into a discussion of priorities, I was wondering if anyone knew if the ESPN aboard the Majesty of the Seas was the same soccer-centric ESPN International that plagues, I mean is featured on, most cruises?

I assume it is but I cannot find the schedule for this channel. I looked on the ESPN website and they do not even list "ESPN International". Rather, they have a number of international channels who's schedule can be found here: http://intltv.espn.com/on_air/tv_listings. I see that the game I want on the regular ESPN and the 'ESPN2 Caribbean', but are either of those the one on the ship? With my luck...no.

Any insight here?

I so feel your pain. We booked our upcoming cruise before they released the pro schedule for this season. We have since found out we will miss two Chicago Bears games (playing in Sunday for the opening and then Thursday night against our major rivals - ugh - how does that happen).

And in case anyone wondered, I am more upset about this than my husband.

Having cruised before during football season (why do I keep doing this to myself??), I can tell you that there are some ships that have multiple games playing in the sports bar that might help, but I don't know that will be an option on your sailing.

On our last few sailings, we found ESPN International to be very soccer oriented. It must be part of the negotiated contract with ESPN, that we really wish RCI would change. We did get to enjoy a Bears game late night from our cabin while we were sailing from Sydney last November - what an absolute treat.

Please do not let the negative comments from another poster bother you. It makes me sad that anyone would judge what works in another's marriage just because it is different from hers.

And I forgot to mention, I will miss some fantasy football too.

My SEC Brother,

Unfortunately, you will probably NOT be able to view this event. We've been on numerous lines, RCCL included, and the ESPN is the International. As previously mentioned, you might be able to go to a bar aboard ship (the day before) and specifically request it. The issue is licensing more than picking-up the feed. (ESPN & NCAA want their monies, esp. if it's being televised in a room with more than 5 people in it.)

My DH and I have been underway during major Gamecock events and I basically stayed "tuned in" through my cellphone.

Enjoy the cruise with your wife. I know, I know, it's the first SEC Game for Texas A&M vs Florida.... Trust me, I know. :)

Lady_Gamecock.

Princess has two versions of ESPN in their in room lineups. One is the international one and the other is ESPN 2, which has the regular ESPN 2 lineup and sometime carries games from US ESPN main channel.

I don't see why anyone should have a problem with someone wanting 3.5 hours out of a 24-hour day to watch a big game.

To each his own, I guess. I'm not going to knock anyone from their love of a team or a sport.

I wouldn't allow sports to get in the way of vacation now. A few years ago, I probably would. I'm a huge Olympic fan and scheduled this year's cruise during the final weekend. Also, four days at the beach during the beginning of the final week. I use to be a HUGE sports fan...lived and died with the Phillies and college football. Then both of my parents died within two years of each other from cancer issues over the last five years, actually watched my dad die in front of me, and my perspective changed. (please no feeling sorry for me replies) As of now, I care about three things: my family, my job and my friends. Issues, events and problems not surrounding those...AND issues, event and problems from the three things I care about that I feel don't measure up get a "I don't care," response.

Have fun with your team. Have fun with your sport. Have fun with your cruise. :)

Archived