Disrobing in public in Solarium? Should I have not been shocked?

I don't think common decency ie not stripping naked in front of strangers is isolated to the way we Americans do things.

I'm guessing you've never lived outside of the US or visited other countries extensively. In many parts of Europe, this kind of behavior is the norm. We have puritan roots here in America, and those roots have us equate nudity with sex. It's just not that way in Europe. I'm sure this lady didn't know she was doing anything "wrong". --Katie

Africa includes a lot of countries. You know this it's OK to walk into a grocery store or restaurant without shoes and shirt in every one of them?

Yes.. Africa is a continent. I know that. No, I was referring to areas where the people are comfortable with little or no coverage.. nothing political intended. I I have dear friends from Nigeria and Ghana. North America consists of several countries as well:roll eyes: There are also nudist communities in existence though I don't know where. The point is... it is expected and not unusual to walk around without coverage in those places. If there is a clothing optional beach for example, then it would not be shocking to see someone disrobe. If you are among people who are remaining clothed, then I have to wonder if taking your clothes off indicates some type of problem.

There are people who don't have any problem with it, but I have to think that the majority of people on cruise ships do not change their clothes down to their under roos in front of people.

The other thing is, even if it is ok in some European cultures doesn't mean it should be done in a place like a cruise ship! If you do that in the wrong place in the US you might be arrested!

I'm guessing you've never lived outside of the US or visited other countries extensively. In many parts of Europe, this kind of behavior is the norm. We have puritan roots here in America, and those roots have us equate nudity with sex. It's just not that way in Europe. I'm sure this lady didn't know she was doing anything "wrong". --Katie

You've guessed wrong...we have travelled extensively and I realize nudity is accepted in other parts of the world. I however was also wrong when I saw that it happened on Vision in August I thought it was an Alaskan Cruise. We were on Vision to Alaska several years ago and I didn't realize she was repositioned to Europe. All I could think of is this woman getting down to basics on a domestic cruise.:eek: and yes that would be time for the OMG Kitty!!!

You realize of course, that a signficant percentage of European public restrooms are unisex. Again, not at all uncommon to have a patron of the opposite sex in the next stall;)

Yea well, this was at Meijer in Illinois not Europe. I don't like it. There is a reason they are labeled Men or Women.

Given her age is it not possible that the lady had dementia or some other condition, where she may not have been fully aware of her behaviour or surroundings?

The Op said well over 50...what is well over? If it is 30 years over maybe but if it is 5 years over I take exception....you don't see me baring my keester on a cruise ship!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Perhaps this should not have surprised me, but DH and I were quite shocked when we were in the Solarium pool on Vision in August and saw a woman changing out of her bathing suit in full view of everyone, right by the chairs in front of the Solarium bar. She was well over 50 and certainly did not have the kind of body that one would be trying to show off. (In other words, old, droopy, out of shape, heavy....like my own!!!) She took her sweet time drying off her bare breasts, putting on her bra and tshirt, removing her swimsuit bottom, drying her posterior, donning her panties, and trousers afterwards. I was staring at her with my mouth open like
. Finally I remarked in a fairly loud voice, "There are staterooms!" although there was quite a good chance that this woman did not speak English.

Maybe I am being a stuffy American, expecting modesty as I am used to it, but is what she did acceptable behavior in the Solarium? Is there any policy on Royal Caribbean that allows people to display their "assets" there?

Threw up in my mouth a little bit!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Public nudity may not be shocking for Europeans but they need to consider that everyone on the ship are most assuredly not Europeans. Have respect for others for goodness sake.:eek:

I think that's an awfully narrow-minded opinion.

Should all women on a cruise ship wear headscarves because there might be some passengers that would be offended if they didn't? You are saying that this woman should have kept her clothes on because there might be some that would be offended if she didn't. What's the difference?

I think that's an awfully narrow-minded opinion.

Should all women on a cruise ship wear headscarves because there might be some passengers that would be offended if they didn't? You are saying that this woman should have kept her clothes on because there might be some that would be offended if she didn't. What's the difference?

You're kidding, right? You're comparing a woman taking off a scarf to a woman taking off all her clothes? Really? :rolleyes:

What the difference? She was NAKED. That's the difference. Wow. :eek:

You're kidding, right? You're comparing a woman taking off a scarf to a woman taking off all her clothes? Really? :rolleyes:

LOL. That's exactly what I was thinking. :rolleyes:

"Narrow minded" and "intolerance" are vastly overused today and just because someone uses them doesn't mean they use them correctly.

Nope, not kidding. I was merely citing an example. Who are you to judge what's more offensive?

I just think it's ridiculous and narrow-minded to think that something that is an an accepted behavior in that part of the world should not be done because it might offend some (probably a minority) of the people.

Nope, not kidding. I was merely citing an example. Who are you to judge what's more offensive?

I just think it's ridiculous and narrow-minded to think that something that is an an accepted behavior in that part of the world should not be done because it might offend some (probably a minority) of the people.

Well, you can accept that sort of behavior if you want to, but where I live, you can go to jail for it. :D

Well, you can accept that sort of behavior if you want to, but where I live, you can go to jail for it. :D

Whether I choose to accept it isn't the point. You were the one that said it was disrespectful. I was pointing out that in many places, it's not disrespectful, and that it's narrow-minded to think that people shouldn't do it in those places just because you find it "shocking".

Surprised but not shocked: when I was sailing the Mediterrenean on Navigator a few years ago, there was a group of ladies (ages over 50) in the Solarium that proceeded to remove their bathing suits and redress in dry clothing. They were just going nonchalantly about their business, and it did not seem really out of place. When in Europe I believe one just accepts what the Europeans do as part of their culture and not make moral judgement based on your own culture.

Oh My! You had some show! On my Allure cruise last month there was a guy strolling around the pool decks with a white speedo. Not only that but he was excited if you know what I mean. He wasn't a bad looking guy and was fit but seriously if that happened to me I would not be prancing around back and forth. First off I would never wear a speedo nor do I have the body for that. Some people like the thrill of showing I guess.

This was not in Europe nor was it a European ship.I don't want to see naked bodies in public no matter what they do in Europe.I don't consider myself a prude,I am a retired nurse and have seen my share of naked bodies,that's different.Lets leave something to the imagination, keep your assets and your disabilities to yourself.

Exactly!!!

###

"Won't somebody please think of the children" - Helen Lovejoy (the simpsons).

Whilst I've seen some sights I would much rather not see around a pool I do chuckle on the inside, but if I had kids don't think I would want to expose them to that (or anything unsavoury) if only to avoid the awkward questions that wouold arise.

Archived