5/23/12 1st time X/cruise, med. engagement, Paris; oh my! Solstice Med. Trip Report

CruisingGatorGirl

They weren't permitting your buses or taxis in to pick people up

We would have been stuck on the ship

I only got up to page 6 so far. Did u ever submit your pics to x

I've never seen a review where the reviewer was asked by marketing to apply to contribute

No I didn't :( I would like to one day I have just been so busy with school, new job, and wedding planning :)

Hi Ashley,

We just came off a 10 day cruise in the Caribbean and I was looking at some cruise reviews and stumbled across yours. I was quite blown away by your trip report. It was like a good book that you just can't put down!!! Thank you so much for the detailed report. I felt all the excitement that your were feeling , and I too cried a bit when I got the ship. I really hate the last day or so of the cruise, because you know it's coming to an end. My mom has always wanted to go to Paris and I will point her to your review. I have to admit that I had tears in my eyes when Tyler proposed to you lol. Congratulations on your up coming wedding and I have d already booked marked your blog lol. I'm sorry I didn't find this sooner. It really makes me want to book our Europe trip lol thanks again it was one of the best trip reports I have ever read.

Hi Ashley,

We just came off a 10 day cruise in the Caribbean and I was looking at some cruise reviews and stumbled across yours. I was quite blown away by your trip report. It was like a good book that you just can't put down!!! Thank you so much for the detailed report. I felt all the excitement that your were feeling , and I too cried a bit when I got the ship. I really hate the last day or so of the cruise, because you know it's coming to an end. My mom has always wanted to go to Paris and I will point her to your review. I have to admit that I had tears in my eyes when Tyler proposed to you lol. Congratulations on your up coming wedding and I have d already booked marked your blog lol. I'm sorry I didn't find this sooner. It really makes me want to book our Europe trip lol thanks again it was one of the best trip reports I have ever read.

Wow thank you so much for the kind words! I am glad you made it all the way through, sometimes it felt like it was never ending ;) Hope your mom makes it to Paris!

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for pointing me over to your review to check out the photos on your camera. Great review & OMG you just had me get all teary with your engagement! What a beautiful memory you will always have of it.

Congratulations!

Carla :)

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for pointing me over to your review to check out the photos on your camera. Great review & OMG you just had me get all teary with your engagement! What a beautiful memory you will always have of it.

Congratulations!

Carla :)

Aww thank you Carla :) if you have any questions let me know!

Hi everyone, just wanted to share our wedding website for those that asked :)

http://www.mywedding.com/tylerandashleypollard/index.html

and here is the link to my blog:

http://dessertationblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks for sharing with us, Ashley! The wedding site looks great and I am excited to see that you are going on the Equinox for your honeymoon....somehow I had missed that detail :D

Good luck with the planning and enjoy it all.

Wow, Ashley! What a fantastic review! It's making me very excited for my upcoming Mediterranean cruise :) I also have a Sony digital camera, and I LOVE the panorama photos it takes! I took tons of panoramas during my Southern Caribbean cruise last December, and I plan to do that again in Europe!

I have planned to take the same 3 tours with Rome in Limo that you took, and I loved seeing your photos and detailed description of your days. Although I know you are disappointed you didn't get to Capri, your replacement tour is actually the itinerary I plan to take! Do you remember the name of the restaurant where you ate lunch? And about how much time did you spend there? I was planning to request short lunch breaks so we can spend more time touring, but that restaurant looks fantastic! Also, did you order your own meals, or was it served family style? I'll be taking that tour with 4 pairs of people because we organized it through our roll call, so I don't think a family style restaurant will work for us, but it might work if it's just a normal restaurant where everyone can order whatever they want :)

Congrats on your engagement and I can't wait to read your review of your honeymoon cruise!!

Congratulations Ashley on your engagement! What a wonderful memory of such a special day! I enjoyed your review and found it very helpful. My husband and I are recent empty nesters (DS graduated college last year. He is planning his first cruise with his girlfriend for next spring when she graduates graduate school. DD is a freshman at college.). Anyway, so after many Carribean cruises during peak summer seasons due to having kids, hubby and I are venturing on our first European cruise. Our itinerary is similar to yours on the RCCL Serenade Sept 2013. My questions is, since the tours booked with Rome in Limo don't include guides did you book guides for the destinations you visited? Does RomeinLimo assist with that? Since it's just myself and hubby would RomeinLimo be able to group us with others? I'm feeling overwhelmed with what tours to book and since it's our first time in these ports/and not knowing the language, don't feel brave enough to do anything without a tour. (Our ports are:Barcelona, Cannes, La Spezia, Rome, Naples, Venice, Ravenna & Kotor.) Thanks for your advice.

Susan

Our itinerary is similar to yours on the RCCL Serenade Sept 2013. My questions is, since the tours booked with Rome in Limo don't include guides did you book guides for the destinations you visited? Does RomeinLimo assist with that? Since it's just myself and hubby would RomeinLimo be able to group us with others? I'm feeling overwhelmed with what tours to book and since it's our first time in these ports/and not knowing the language, don't feel brave enough to do anything without a tour. (Our ports are:Barcelona, Cannes, La Spezia, Rome, Naples, Venice, Ravenna & Kotor.) Thanks for your advice.

Susan

We had a eastern Med cruise last fall--booked with our roll call members all private tours. Most were cheaper than what the ship offered (X Equinox) or if they were the same--much more intimate as only 8 to 12 of us.

Rome in Limo driver called for a guide for us a Herculaneum (sp?) but at the end of the tour, what she quoted was much higher than the driver--so no tip for her.

I have been to Ravenna on a driving tour. You can easily walk this and the guide you get with your ticket to all of the beautiful buildings with the very historic mosaics give enough info.

Venice is very walkable and easy to do yourself. If you have an MP3 player (iPOD/Pad/Phone, smartphone), you can download Rick Steves narrated tour using the express vaporetto from Piazza Roma to St. Marks--timed almost to one or two seconds. He also has walking tours and maps--all for free.

• 1 month later...

Do you remember the name of the restaurant where you ate lunch? And about how much time did you spend there? I was planning to request short lunch breaks so we can spend more time touring, but that restaurant looks fantastic! Also, did you order your own meals, or was it served family style? I'll be taking that tour with 4 pairs of people because we organized it through our roll call, so I don't think a family style restaurant will work for us, but it might work if it's just a normal restaurant where everyone can order whatever they want :)

Congrats on your engagement and I can't wait to read your review of your honeymoon cruise!!

Thank you for the kind words! I am having post-vacation blue right now because this time last year we were in Paris! :(

You are going to LOVE your tours!!!

Yes, we ate at

Ristorante da Costantino

Sorry I copied from trip advisor and that is how big it came out. I would do anything to go back there, amazing! Our driver called ahead for us. When we met him we told him we would like to have a sit-down lunch and he recommended this place. He called ahead and got us reservations while we were in Pompeii. They know you are cruise ship tourists so the meal will not take that long. However, you will not want to leave! I think I ate so slow because it is very "pinch me now" am I really eating lunch in Positano overlooking the coast? Trust me, it is amazing.

And you order your own meals :) VERY good prices too! And we got free liminocello (SP) shots and lemon cake

Congratulations Ashley on your engagement! What a wonderful memory of such a special day! I enjoyed your review and found it very helpful. My husband and I are recent empty nesters (DS graduated college last year. He is planning his first cruise with his girlfriend for next spring when she graduates graduate school. DD is a freshman at college.). Anyway, so after many Carribean cruises during peak summer seasons due to having kids, hubby and I are venturing on our first European cruise. Our itinerary is similar to yours on the RCCL Serenade Sept 2013. My questions is, since the tours booked with Rome in Limo don't include guides did you book guides for the destinations you visited? Does RomeinLimo assist with that? Since it's just myself and hubby would RomeinLimo be able to group us with others? I'm feeling overwhelmed with what tours to book and since it's our first time in these ports/and not knowing the language, don't feel brave enough to do anything without a tour. (Our ports are:Barcelona, Cannes, La Spezia, Rome, Naples, Venice, Ravenna & Kotor.) Thanks for your advice.

Susan

Wow you are going to have a great time! SOrry for the late reply, I am working on my dissertation and hardly have time to come on here :)

We booked our guides through Rome In LImo. They were awesome! The one in Rome we only hired for the Vatican and ROman Forum, however he stayed with us the entire day :) well worth the extra cost!

In Pompeii GET A GUIDE! Trust me, you need one there! And if you can, request Gino. We did not use a guide in Florence- however our driver pretty much acted as a guide. We DID hire guide via RIL for Rome and Pompeii.

Good luck! Wish I could tag along with you :) I am in post-vacation blues right now!

• 1 month later...

I popped over here to read your review when you mentioned it on Carnival boards after going on your Bachelorette Cruise! I have spent the afternoon/evening reading it and loved every second. I agree with the previous poster, it was like reading a great novel and you can't put it down! You have a true gift and I was actually sad to see your review end! Hope to read more about your wedding and honeymoon in the future!

Best wishes for a long and happy marriage! We are going on our first cruise for our 10th anniversary next spring!

I popped over here to read your review when you mentioned it on Carnival boards after going on your Bachelorette Cruise! I have spent the afternoon/evening reading it and loved every second. I agree with the previous poster, it was like reading a great novel and you can't put it down! You have a true gift and I was actually sad to see your review end! Hope to read more about your wedding and honeymoon in the future!

Best wishes for a long and happy marriage! We are going on our first cruise for our 10th anniversary next spring!

Aww thank you! I hope you have a great time on yours, I know you will! And congrats on 10 years! I will be doing another long review for the honeymoon trip too so stay tuned :)

Hi Ashley

Good to see you see around on the boards

We miss you on the 12/6 Equinox boards

Come on back

Blaze is having all the fun, without you chiming in

Linda

Ahh I know! I see the updates in my email :) My goal this weekend is to get caught up on honeymoon plans! I have had to put it on the back burner but now have some time. I will be around this weekend posting :D

Aww thank you! I hope you have a great time on yours, I know you will! And congrats on 10 years! I will be doing another long review for the honeymoon trip too so stay tuned :)

Ahh I know! I see the updates in my email :) My goal this weekend is to get caught up on honeymoon plans! I have had to put it on the back burner but now have some time. I will be around this weekend posting :D

Excellent

someone even went looking for your posts, and saw you're still around. Will be good to have you back. Hopefully, the wedding plans are coming along

Thank you! The wedding plans are coming. We are having about a 200 person wedding so LOTS to plan! Working on favors now, I am thinking macarons.

I have updated our wedding website and blog for those that were asking:

http://www.mywedding.com/tylerandashleypollard/index.html

http://dessertationblog.blogspot.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I started a blog and I have been working on posting blog entries about our Med cruise.

I just re-did the Amalfi Coast entry and added a video I think I forgot to post here

I really like the video!

So if you feel like reading this weekend check it out :)

http://dessertationblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/thats-amore-our-day-in-pompeii-sorrento.html

Congratulations Ashley & Tyler and thank you for your amazing review. I've been hooked for weeks. When I got to your engagement I could no longer view your pictures. I tried several computers but for some reason they wouldn't show up. What a disappointment, I missed your engagement pics. The suspense was killing me. I've really enjoyed your review. I am going to Europe next summer. I can't wait. All the best to both of you.

Congratulations Ashley & Tyler and thank you for your amazing review. I've been hooked for weeks. When I got to your engagement I could no longer view your pictures. I tried several computers but for some reason they wouldn't show up. What a disappointment, I missed your engagement pics. The suspense was killing me. I've really enjoyed your review. I am going to Europe next summer. I can't wait. All the best to both of you.

Thank you for the kind words! I am SO sorry to see my pictures are not working, i am not sure what happened :(

I made my facebook album public so you can see the pictures, let me know if it worked (I hope so!)

Paris album: https://www.facebook.com/ashleyqdabkowski/media_set?set=a.10101312390929902.2928409.5106166&type=3

Cruise album: https://www.facebook.com/ashleyqdabkowski/media_set?set=a.10101298377667592.2924253.5106166&type=3

Thank you so much for posting the link to see your pictures. Your review worked 3/4 of the way through. Just when it got to your engagement the pictures stopped showing up. I was thrilled to finally see your ring. It's gorgeous. All the best to you and your family.

Edited by msar1076

Thank you for the kind words! I am SO sorry to see my pictures are not working, i am not sure what happened :(

I made my facebook album public so you can see the pictures, let me know if it worked (I hope so!)

Paris album: https://www.facebook.com/ashleyqdabkowski/media_set?set=a.10101312390929902.2928409.5106166&type=3

Cruise album: https://www.facebook.com/ashleyqdabkowski/media_set?set=a.10101298377667592.2924253.5106166&type=3

Thanks so much for posting the Facebook album links. I only discovered your trip review last weekend and spent the whole morning reading it! When I started getting to the sections where the photo's weren't linking properly it was like reading a great book and some of the pages were missing so I was very happy to now be able to see them all! Your enthusiasm really had me hooked and now we are contemplating a similar cruise after we visit UK next year before heading home to Australia.

Were you on Port or Starboard side of the ship? Certainly would be lovely to have a view of the coast from the balcony although the one we are considering is the reverse of your itinerary.

Congratulations to you both, wishing you a wonderful future together.

Lesley :-)

Edited by Lestel
Posted before finished.

This is what Photobucket's FAQ says about the message that is showing up instead of your pictures. You're just too popular!! :):)

What does it mean, and how do I get my photos back?

Don't panic, and don't delete anything! Please, let us explain.

Bandwidth is the total amount of data transferred from your Photobucket account to the sites you post photos and videos on. It's kind of like the data plan on your phone. If you have a free account, you can use up to 10GB of bandwidth per month.

Imagine you have a photo that is 1MB in size, and you post it on your blog. Whenever a friend sees your blog, 1MB of data is transferred from your Photobucket account. That counts toward your 10GB per month limit (10GB = 10,000MB, and most photos are much smaller than 1MB).

Now, imagine your blog has a lot of photos on it, and their total size is 5MB. That would mean that 2,000 blog views would max out the bandwidth on your free Photobucket account. If you're linking multiple photos in multiple places, or you post photos on a popular site, your bandwidth can add up pretty fast!

There are two ways to get your linked photos and videos to show up again:

1) Wait until your cycle date. Your bandwidth limit resets every month on the date you created your account. Check your page to find out when your cycle date is and how much bandwidth you've used since your last cycle date.

2) Upgrade to Go Plus. Plus accounts have unmetered bandwidth, no ads, and full-size photo storage. You'll love it!