Cyclists beware - Carnival Cruise Line prohibits bicycles on any kind

kahtrav

I understand having to cancel the trip, however I personally wouldn't let this rest.
The OP has no grounds to dispute - the situation is clearly identified in the Cruise contract. I think it was appropriate that Carnival let the OP cancel without penalty.

I don't get the outrage from the OP? CCls ship, their rules! Me, I would have just shiped them to Spain, what's a couple hundred $$ when you are doing a TA with a 6week trip at the end?

Agree.

Ken

Edited by Ken076

I don't get the outrage from the OP? CCls ship, their rules! Me, I would have just shiped them to Spain, what's a couple hundred $$ when you are doing a TA with a 6week trip at the end?

I think the outrage comes when CCL cannot and will not explain the reasoning behind their rule.

"Because I said so" Remember getting that from your parents? I swore I would never do this to my kids and I didn't.

I think the outrage comes when CCL cannot and will not explain the reasoning behind their rule.

"Because I said so" Remember getting that from your parents? I swore I would never do this to my kids and I didn't.

Doesn't matter. Carnival does not need to explain any of their rules to anyone. If you don't like the rules then you don't cruise Carnival. No company needs to explain their reasoning behind their rules. Why should they have to explain something to anyone? When it comes to companies, they can say "because I said so".

I want to know why I cannot bring on a bottle of liquor myself or why they have to double or triple the price of a bottle from Bon Voyage. Should I go up the chain to get a real answer? I will never get one because they don't have to give me one. As someone else said - something probably happened to a bike at one time and they said no. Simple.

OP is lucky they got their deposit back - not Carnival's fault they did not read the rules of what you can and cannot bring on board before they made a deposit. I think OP just needs to be appreciative that they were understanding!

Peddling drugs? I get it.

OMG. Peddling drugs. Too funny. Glad you weren't "silent" on that funny line.

And to those who want to pooh pooh the OP...get off your high horse. It would be perfectly understandable for the OP to assume that since they've cruised with bikes before that they could do that on this cruise. I know we should never assume and that we are responsible to read the whole contract before signing or agreeing, but very few of us do that. This is a good reminder for all of us to read every inch of our contracts.

Personally I would have gone further up the chain.

We own a mobility scooter that folds and fits into a suit case have had no issues.

People can also bring golf clubs and they are bulkier than a folded bike in a case.

Sorry but I just would not have settled without exhausting every possible person in authority.

I thought I read that golf clubs were prohibited. Are they allowed?

I just read the Carnival contract on their FAQ page and can find no indication that anythikng is prohibited other than alcohol, weapons, drugs and live animals. So where are bikes and such listed as prohibited?

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/04/08/are-there-restrictions-on-what-we-can-bring-aboard.aspx

Sorry about my prior post, didn't fully read the OP post. Well if you were going to do a six week bike tour of Spain, how about shipping the bikes back to the US, through UPS or Fedex? I am sure it will cost a bit of cash, but I know you bikers will do that kind of thing, i have a friend that ships his bike all over the place.

Doesn't matter. Carnival does not need to explain any of their rules to anyone. If you don't like the rules then you don't cruise Carnival. No company needs to explain their reasoning behind their rules. Why should they have to explain something to anyone? When it comes to companies, they can say "because I said so".

I want to know why I cannot bring on a bottle of liquor myself or why they have to double or triple the price of a bottle from Bon Voyage. Should I go up the chain to get a real answer? I will never get one because they don't have to give me one. As someone else said - something probably happened to a bike at one time and they said no. Simple.

OP is lucky they got their deposit back - not Carnival's fault they did not read the rules of what you can and cannot bring on board before they made a deposit. I think OP just needs to be appreciative that they were understanding!

Yep, you are right. Can't argue that.

However, I can say "I DON'T LIKE IT" and I can add that when we all just become compliant and go along with it, nothing will ever change. I choose to be vocal rather than simply sit silently compliant. Because I said so.

I would say one reason could be the fear someone will ride the bike on the ship. I am NOT saying the OP is one of those people, just saying it could be a fear.

The drug smuggling is also a good reason as well.

There has to be some reason, because just saying it makes no sense. Let's be honest, they want to please people (or try to anyways).....so who knows why.

I thought this might stir things up a bit - thanks for your many responses.

A couple of comments as OP -

Shipping bikes to Europe would cost more than the hefty deposit. Renting bikes is not an option for touring for 6 weeks, with train travel requiring them in cases, and cost is much more than even renting cars. Since we've taken them on ships before and keep them in our room, it's not taking extra space (we only have one other backpack each and a small roller). Since it's a Carnival wide issue, not just the ship, it's not a space issue - all I can figure is that someone, sometime, rode one on-board and got hurt or something.

It is on the FAQ section under "restricted items", if you follow the link far enough. However, golf carts are allowed for use in port (further down the page) as well as other items just for use in port. I do agree that I should probably have read every single page of the website before booking, but really - does anyone really do that (it is NOT on the cruise contract even though they claimed it was). I researched every major cruise line and couldn't find a single one with the long list of "thou shalt nots" - all have stuff about knives, etc and heating items (irons/coffee pots/etc), which make sense, but I couldn't find a single one that said no to bicycles other than Carnival.

We suggested a number of things so they would accept them - and talked to tons of people, but they just wouldn't budge. At any rate, I was actually surprised that they would refund all of it (we asked for voucher to another Carnival Corporation Cruise Line, since we know we can take the bikes, but since they didn't seem to be able to do that, this was the option they came up with). I was really interested to give Carnival a try, but I guess now that won't happen for sure, since we almost always take bikes on our cruises.

You can be sure that it's a question I'll ask before giving money for any other cruises. Anyway - thanks for the responses by all.

Personally I would have gone further up the chain.

We own a mobility scooter that folds and fits into a suit case have had no issues.

People can also bring golf clubs and they are bulkier than a folded bike in a case.

Sorry but I just would not have settled without exhausting every possible person in authority.

Scooter - handicap item - under US law, you can not prevent a handicap person from using wheelchairs and scooters

Golf clubs - does not have wheels on them?

This is obviously a rule that has nothing to do with bulk, or size since cruise ships have plenty of space. What this is most likely is that at some point in time, Carnival had some issues with bikes on the ship, and placing them in cabins became an issue so they banned them. Sometimes, common sense, like some fold up bikes are also banned because of the lack of common sense in rules. This sounds like the case.

OP is lucky she got her deposit back. lesson learned hear, if i b*tch long enough i'll somewhat get my way.

however, i totally understand the cruiselines. if everyone brought 2 fold up bikes, that's a lot more luggage, weight etc. added to the ship. every bit adds up.

I wouldn't be throwing a big old stink over "why" who cares why. it's against their rules. i feel the same way with the alcohol policy. Why is one allowed and one not (wine vs liquor) hardly seems fair...but hey, life is not fair.

I'd consider myself very lucky i got a deposit back. i personally don't understand why they did that. seems to me a death in the family would warrant a refund on deposit over a bicycle issue....but that's just me.

maybe when we all need to cancel for whatever reason, we just keep going and going and going up the chain.

Squeaky wheel does in fact get the grease.

OP, glad you got your $'s back, but I'm not sure why you were truly entitled to them. I guess CCL felt charitable that day.

Yup - dismantling and searching the bike

frames for contraband makes the screeners

two tired and cranky.

Two tires and cranky? OK, having worked and owned a bike shop since 1963 I get this one. I do wonder what kind of a bike a person could pack in a suitcase that I would want to ride around for six weeks?

http://www.usaridetoremember.org

Edited by nuthut
updated

I am going to take a wild guess but Carnival probably decided to prohibit bikes because of the potential problems that might occur. For Instance, the dock handlers would have extra suit cases to handle in addition to normal luggage. Two extra suit cases would need to be stored under the beds or in the closets if they fit. Customs and Home Security would have extra cases to review. You can imagine if they wanted you to unload and assemble the bikes. Foreign countries may have restrictions for bikes like special licenses. In case of a collision involving the bikes, legal issues could result. You know how they sue every thing in sight.

Based on these and other issues, it was probably decided that prohibiting the bikes made all the problems go away. So the safe bet was to ban bikes and suffer the loss of a few fares. I have to say that in 11 to 12 years of Cruise Critic, this is the first time I have heard of this problem so I doubt it is much of a financial loss to Carnival.

I know this sounds harsh and cruel and that is not intended. I have been in the Corporate world too long, however, and can attest that corporations are not people. (Just profit making ventures taking the safest route.)

The "knucklehead factor" seems to have too high of a potential here, if bikes were allowed.

How does a cruise line set the limitations and not have hordes of idiots trying to board with everything from mopeds, to tandoms, to three-wheelers, to trikes ("Why can't my little Suzy ride her trike around the Lido! This is an outrage!") and bicycle trailers? The OP was talking of a trans-Atlantic trip, but maybe I want to bring my 12-speed to Cozumel, and Roatan, and Belize. Imagine people dragging bikes through the boarding process.

No, it would be a stupid situation. Much as I love my bike, and would love to have it my next cruise, I'd rather not see the potential mayhem.

I don't know the answer, just sharing a possibility.

Is it possible it's a Cartage Law situation? Is Cartage even the proper word?

Is it possible the cruise line cannot legally ship these bicycles to Europe since they are a passenger ship not a cargo ship?

Probably a Carthaginian Law situation. Let them take bikes, and next it will be elephants........

Thanks for giving me my first laugh of the day!

My guess is the bike rule is because of liability concerns- Carnival most likely doesn't want to deal with being financially liable for any damage (or theft claims) that might occur during the loading, unloading process.

We suggested a number of things so they would accept them - and talked to tons of people, but they just wouldn't budge. At any rate, I was actually surprised that they would refund all of it (we asked for voucher to another Carnival Corporation Cruise Line, since we know we can take the bikes, but since they didn't seem to be able to do that, this was the option they came up with). I was really interested to give Carnival a try, but I guess now that won't happen for sure, since we almost always take bikes on our cruises.

That's the weirdest part to me- other lines within the corporation allow bicycles; only Carnival cruise line prohibits them. :confused: