Baseball caps on formal nights?

OldJerseycruiser

About the only head covering for a guy that hasn't been mentioned and is acceptable in ALL places is the Jewish beanie. Forgive me, I'm not Jewish so can't remember what the proper name for it is. I have seen a fellow soldier with my son, that is Jewish and he is allowed to wear it when the rest have to take their hats off inside. Not sure if he wears it under the beret or helmet, but he has it on the rest of the time.

This. I've seen too many bald scalps that I wished had been covered, even on formal nights. I don't know why people think that ruining someone's dinner is more polite than wearing a cap indoors.

I've seen too many flabby arms on fat chicks that I wished had been covered, especially on formal nights. I don't know why people think that ruining someone's dinner is more polite that wearing something with sleeves indoors. :D

When my sons were young I told them they couldn't wear a ball hat to the table or they would lose it for a week. The oldest felt he could get away with it so he wore it one night. Took it from him and he said he had others and he wouldn't miss it. Surprise, Surprise - mom took away every hat for a week!! He never wore a hat again to the table at our house and his brother didn't either!!

You showed him all right. :p:rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is an observation not a criticism.

We have just come back from a cruise on the Grand Princess and we totally amazed that some American men were wearing baseball caps in the dining rooms on formal nights. We were brought up that a man wearing a hat indoors was bad manners, is this the same in the US?

No, it's really not proper for a man to wear a cap while eating at any table......let alone at a formal dinner.

WHERE are the women in these mens lives? I personally don't know any mother or wife who would allow their son or husband to wear a ballcap to a dinner table. I think the U.S. may be to the point where manners and/or etiquette classes are going to have to be taught in schools, because it's obviously NOT being taught in a lot of homes.

A couple of years ago, I had two nephews and a niece (12 years old) at an I-Hop, when my niece started eating with her elbows propped up on the table. When I told her to remove them she asked "why?" I told her she was not using proper table manners. She asked what that was....LOL!! By the look on her face when I told her to take her elbows off the table you would have thought I had taken her phone away or something. I KNOW my mother taught my sister (niece's mother) way better than that!

I lived in Hong Kong for 3 years, attending many formal events and honestly never saw anyone wearing something like this. I did however see things like the picture in ceremonial or religious type scenarios. I actually think that is a rather nice hat and certainly not some cruddy baseball cap.

I do get different cultures having different ideas, but it goes back to the fact that it was Americans wearing baseball caps in the MDR on a formal night. No cultural excuse that I can think of?

You're missing my point.;)

Like I said, I don't think the person you were responding to meant baseball caps. Used the picture as cultural example, albeit, maybe not the best. I certainly was not inferring that baseball caps were anything cultural. Add a well placed r in caps and you get what I think of them.:D

IMO the only excuse for a baseball cap in the MDR would be for a medical reason.

This did hapen one time, and the gentleman in question lost no time in exsplaining his predicament to us, and of course the rest of us understood.

john

I certainly was not inferring that baseball caps were anything cultural. Add a well placed r in caps and you get what I think of them.:D

I am with you there, but they have a place I guess, but I have one question and that is why are they sometimes worn back to front and sometimes by grown men this way? IMO it looks ridiculous.

Now a cap worn normally, say on the beach, or at a game, or because someone is bald and wants to hide it, all well and good but not at a dining table especially a formal one!

I am going to be looking for caps on formal night on our next cruise, (OK maybe not), 3 weeks today woohoo!

IMO the only excuse for a baseball cap in the MDR would be for a medical reason.

This did hapen one time, and the gentleman in question lost no time in exsplaining his predicament to us, and of course the rest of us understood.

john

......are hair plugs considered a "medical excuse"?........

It's the American men that have this fetish with baseball caps. :)

You've got to be kidding. My winter environment is made up of almost 50% Canadians, and the men wear as many baseball caps as any of the Americans. Pretty proud of their Provinces I would say.

By the way, I firmly believe that no one, no matter where they are from, should wear any kind of hat indoors.

The only ones I have a right to fuss at for wearing hats inside or while eating is my son and husband. Husband wears a cowboy hat all the time, but as soon as he steps through a door, it comes off. I never have to remind him, his mom made that sink in years ago. Son, on the other hand, was a little more hard headed. He sat down to supper with his hat on, after us telling him every night to take it off. Husband had enough of it, picked him up, out the back door and dumped him right into a stock tank. :eek: That boy never forgot after that! He's a lot bigger and older now, but when he walks in the door, that hat comes off! Maybe some people didn't have a stock tank near the back door.

That's hilarious! This has nothing to do with a ballcap but it does have something to do with the punishment. My son and stepson (both 14 at the time) were acting up one evening and after a couple of warnings, stepson's dad (my husband at the time....sorry, no way I can use "DH" to describe him ;)) grabbed both by their belts and threw them in the pool...in the dead of winter. :eek: They were both fully clothed including prized sneakers. When he finally let them get out of the pool, he made them strip off all their wet clothes on the patio for an extra dose of humiliation. I'm sure a pool doesn't compare to a stock tank but the message was loud and clear. :)

That's hilarious! This has nothing to do with a ballcap but it does have something to do with the punishment. My son and stepson (both 14 at the time) were acting up one evening and after a couple of warnings, stepson's dad (my husband at the time....sorry, no way I can use "DH" to describe him ;)) grabbed both by their belts and threw them in the pool...in the dead of winter. :eek: They were both fully clothed including prized sneakers. When he finally let them get out of the pool, he made them strip off all their wet clothes on the patio for an extra dose of humiliation. I'm sure a pool doesn't compare to a stock tank but the message was loud and clear. :)

It served the same purpose. LOL Stock tank was as close we could get to a pool at my house. I asked DH, later, why he did it. He said growing up on a ranch in Texas, he got dumped in the stock tanks by the old cowboys for screwing up. Said he remembered every lesson they taught him, thought it would work for son as well.

My husband aged 74 will have a hat on when we take our cruise as he is badly scarred from an accident and his wheelchaired bound after a stroke. He has been very self conscious all his life and nothing will change that.....so if someone is upset so be it. We are with our daughter on a table for four so no one has to get up and leave the table.

My husband aged 74 will have a hat on when we take our cruise as he is badly scarred from an accident and his wheelchaired bound after a stroke. He has been very self conscious all his life and nothing will change that.....so if someone is upset so be it. We are with our daughter on a table for four so no one has to get up and leave the table.

IMO if your husband sits with anyone, and quietly explains his problem, there should be noooo problem at all.:)

john

to mrs toad/ billco / friki01,

yep your opinions are why this world now is so slovenly in there manners and dress code /s.

damn baseball caps,i know the americans have a fetish with their baseball caps (worn every which way but loose)and probably to bed

if a person has a head problem,then wear a different type of hat, not a baseball cap.

but to see someone wearing a baseball cap without a medical reason at a formal occassion only goes to show how low one can go.

I find it ironic and also hilarious that minding our own business and not judging others are the causes as to why the world is now a slovenly, sloppy existence when it comes to manners and dress code.

I'll tell you what....on my next cruise, when I see someone in the dining room with a cap and even though I don't know that person, I'll be sure to ask them for a copy of their doctor's note stating that they have medical clearance to wear it. After all, it'll be my contribution to a revolutionary movement to make this world more refine. :rolleyes::eek:

IMO if your husband sits with anyone, and quietly explains his problem, there should be noooo problem at all.:)

john

My husband cannot speak as he has speech problems (Aphasia) from his stroke, he is also paralysed but we thought we could manage a cruise with the help of our daughter. It will be the first break from cooking and cleaning etc., for me in over 5 years since is stroke.

john

You can't be serious. He, or in this case his wife who must speak for him, has no need to explain anything to anyone.

Ozgeordielass, if anyone is upset about your husband, they are just plain disgusting louts.:( Have a wonderful cruise. Being a caregiver is a hard job so I hope you enjoy a bit of a break and being waited on for a change. :)

Archived