Baseball caps on formal nights?

OldJerseycruiser

This is an observation not a criticism.

We have just come back from a cruise on the Grand Princess and we totally amazed that some American men were wearing baseball caps in the dining rooms on formal nights. We were brought up that a man wearing a hat indoors was bad manners, is this the same in the US?

Well, some of us understand that the ball hat indoors isn't appropriate.

There are some who feel that ball hat backwards is the pinnacle of fashion. Of course, we all know they're wrong. The pinnacle is a backwards hat with a goatee.

For the Chinese, it is absolutely proper to wear a hat indoors while dining. Many other cultures also.

In a formal environment really?

I have spent a lot of my life in "real" formal environments and I have yet to see people of any culture wear baseball caps.

It is a new one to me, ah well takes all sorts - just not my sorts!

My hubby is just about completely bald and usually wears a cap or hat when outside to protect his head from the sun. But he'll remove it when indoors.

But here's the thing. As mentioned above, there could be someone recovering from cancer treatment and keeping his or her head covered for either warmth or to avoid stares. I have seen people with writing on a cap, indicating a desire for others to excuse the hat for that reason. Probably in most cases we won't be able to tell. I would feel bad if I make a big deal about someone wearing a hat indoors and then find out it's because of health conditions, religious beliefs, or another reason considered valid (unless you're a inconsiderate moron who thinks their the voice of everything moral).

The last guy I saw wearing a ball cap in the MDR was also wearing shades and picked his nose at the table. Now, it may well be that he was recovering from chemo, glaucoma surgery, and sinusitis. Or it might be that he was an ill-mannered bozo. I kind of vote for the latter.

So those of you who don't care whether people wear caps because it's none of your business...I take it you absolutely don't care about dress codes at all, right? As long as genitalia are covered, it's all cool with you?

Definitely improper, but I have seen ballcaps all over including some very expensive restaurants. Sad commentary. The worst thing I ever encountered was in a nice restaurant one evening. A family that included a teenaged son and daughter sat at the next table. The son was wearing a ballcap. The mom reached over and removed it. Ah, ha - going to teach him some manners. Hardly. She then took a brush out of her purse and proceeded to brush out his rather long curly hair right at the table, and when she was done, she replaced the cap on his head. Gotta admit it, for once I was speechless. It's going to take a long time for someone to top that one.

It's bad manners and/or etiquette for men (American) to wear hats indoors. The problem is that over the past 10-15 years, with the popularity of baseball style caps with the branding of any major sports teams, or city names, it has become acceptable by some (not by me) to wear caps indoors. I recently went out with some of my nephews and their friends, and you would have thought I was from Mars when I told them the standard for not wearing hats indoors, including the military policies. Apparently no one (at home, etc.) is teaching the current generations of what is acceptable, especially when it comes to etiquette.

to mrs toad/ billco / friki01,

yep your opinions are why this world now is so slovenly in there manners and dress code /s.

damn baseball caps,i know the americans have a fetish with their baseball caps (worn every which way but loose)and probably to bed

if a person has a head problem,then wear a different type of hat, not a baseball cap.

but to see someone wearing a baseball cap without a medical reason at a formal occassion only goes to show how low one can go.

how would you like to see that same person wear a baseball cap to your sons or daughters wedding or a close member of your families funeral.

wouldn't go down to well, hey

The only ones I have a right to fuss at for wearing hats inside or while eating is my son and husband. Husband wears a cowboy hat all the time, but as soon as he steps through a door, it comes off. I never have to remind him, his mom made that sink in years ago. Son, on the other hand, was a little more hard headed. He sat down to supper with his hat on, after us telling him every night to take it off. Husband had enough of it, picked him up, out the back door and dumped him right into a stock tank. :eek: That boy never forgot after that! He's a lot bigger and older now, but when he walks in the door, that hat comes off! Maybe some people didn't have a stock tank near the back door.

There's always the possibility that someone is going through chemo but, it usually is very easy to distinguish those from the ones who don't care or don't know about manners. What's wrong with having a few social graces?

For the Chinese, it is absolutely proper to wear a hat indoors while dining. Many other cultures also.

In a formal environment really?

I have spent a lot of my life in "real" formal environments and I have yet to see people of any culture wear baseball caps.

It is a new one to me, ah well takes all sorts - just not my sorts!

I hardly think the Chinese are wearing baseball caps. More like this, something that is cultural, and it would be for an occassion they consider formal.;)

charm_of_the_manchurians_on_the_foot_or_head3cda6dd8ddaa0a3b509f.jpg

The only ones I have a right to fuss at for wearing hats inside or while eating is my son and husband. Husband wears a cowboy hat all the time, but as soon as he steps through a door, it comes off. I never have to remind him, his mom made that sink in years ago. Son, on the other hand, was a little more hard headed. He sat down to supper with his hat on, after us telling him every night to take it off. Husband had enough of it, picked him up, out the back door and dumped him right into a stock tank. :eek: That boy never forgot after that! He's a lot bigger and older now, but when he walks in the door, that hat comes off! Maybe some people didn't have a stock tank near the back door.

I hearbye nominate your husband for Man/Father of the Century!:)

I hearbye nominate your husband for Man/Father of the Century!:)

We expected both kids to have some manners and he was good with the lessons he taught them, but it still took the Army to teach my boy to say, "yes sir" and "no sir". Oh well, we can't win them all.

to mrs toad/ billco / friki01,

yep your opinions are why this world now is so slovenly in there manners and dress code /s.

damn baseball caps,i know the americans have a fetish with their baseball caps (worn every which way but loose)and probably to bed

if a person has a head problem,then wear a different type of hat, not a baseball cap.

but to see someone wearing a baseball cap without a medical reason at a formal occassion only goes to show how low one can go.

how would you like to see that same person wear a baseball cap to your sons or daughters wedding or a close member of your families funeral.

wouldn't go down to well, hey

Thank you for your gracious well mannered remarks that are respectful of other peoples opinions.

Fascinating thread and we are enjoying the different opinions. So, if I understand some of the posts it would be fine for me to come to a formal dinner with just a skimpy thong (I am an overweight guy in his 60s) with my hairy belly and chest just hanging out there. It should not bother anyone since its not correct to judge others? After all, in some cultures folks wear very little clothes and its considered quite fine.

And then if I sat at a table and used all kinds of foul language that would also be fine because they are places where using 4 letter words and other foul language is very accepted. After all, nobody should judge me. So, do I have this right?

Hank

I guess my opinion would be that it is more tradition than anything else for men not to wear hats inside. Just like in the past ladies were expected to wear hats to church to show "respect". The ballcap thing is more that it's a very casual item to be wearing for a dressy occasion. Plenty of men are bald without having cancer treatment, so I don't think that it's the same as a woman who has lost her hair and prefers to wear a wig, scarf, or hat to dinner.

We expected both kids to have some manners and he was good with the lessons he taught them, but it still took the Army to teach my boy to say, "yes sir" and "no sir". Oh well, we can't win them all.

Army?....I herebye nominate your son Patriot of the Year.........

....Thank him for his service to our country......:)

When my sons were young I told them they couldn't wear a ball hat to the table or they would lose it for a week. The oldest felt he could get away with it so he wore it one night. Took it from him and he said he had others and he wouldn't miss it. Surprise, Surprise - mom took away every hat for a week!! He never wore a hat again to the table at our house and his brother didn't either!!

Hank, that is along the lines I was thinking but more so a lovely young lady who comes in with an outfit that has a lot on show, maybe too much for dinner. I am sure some of the people that say they don't judge would certainly.

I actually think it is ludicrous that anyone would find it acceptable for baseball caps to be worn in the MDR on a formal night. (Not talking about 1 guy who might be ill as this was not the case in the OP).

I hardly think the Chinese are wearing baseball caps. More like this, something that is cultural, and it would be for an occassion they consider formal.;)

charm_of_the_manchurians_on_the_foot_or_head3cda6dd8ddaa0a3b509f.jpg

I lived in Hong Kong for 3 years, attending many formal events and honestly never saw anyone wearing something like this. I did however see things like the picture in ceremonial or religious type scenarios. I actually think that is a rather nice hat and certainly not some cruddy baseball cap.

I do get different cultures having different ideas, but it goes back to the fact that it was Americans wearing baseball caps in the MDR on a formal night. No cultural excuse that I can think of?

Grand Isle Joe:

Patriot of the Year......no, he's just a soldier doing his duty, but I will thank him for you.

Chickadee1:

Sometimes we, as parents, have to come up with some very unique ideas to help our kids remember the rules. It's an added bonus when siblings are involved and you get a "two for one" situation. Apparently, my daughter had already told him the rule before they came to dinner. When he walked in the house, soaking wet, DD said, "Told you it wouldn't work." The look he gave his sister was clearly a 'shut up' look, but he had sense enough to keep his mouth shut or he would have been back outside. LOL

Archived