Do you like surprises?

Scottee25

Some of you may remember (or maybe you won't) but last year I came here asking for people's opinions on a surprise trip for my wife's 40th birthday. After a lot of research and gathering thoughts and opinions from other's, I decided to book a cruise with Carnival. The plan was to arrange with her work to have the days we are on the cruise off from work. I intended to take the day before the cruise off (though make it appear that I was still going to work) to get everything packed so that when my wife got home, I would sweep her away to the airport to begin the vacation. Those that I polled seemed to like the idea and said they would love it if their significant other had done this for them. How would you feel if your significant other did something like this for you?

Some of you may remember (or maybe you won't) but last year I came here asking for people's opinions on a surprise trip for my wife's 40th birthday. After a lot of research and gathering thoughts and opinions from other's, I decided to book a cruise with Carnival. The plan was to arrange with her work to have the days we are on the cruise off from work. I intended to take the day before the cruise off (though make it appear that I was still going to work) to get everything packed so that when my wife got home, I would sweep her away to the airport to begin the vacation. Those that I polled seemed to like the idea and said they would love it if their significant other had done this for them. How would you feel if your significant other did something like this for you?

Did it happen yet? How did it go?

Man, I'd hate that. No time to get nice clothes, have my hair and nails done, diet, tan.... plus I can only imagine what my hubby would pack for me! I'd LOVE it if it was a surprise...at least 1 week prior to embarkation. :)

But you are a total sweetie for cooking up the idea.

I wanted to do this for my husband. But with our schedules there was just no way to pull it off. So I told him I was planning a trip and did he want to miss a week of spring football or a week of snow skiing. So we are booked for Conquest in February. He has no idea where we are going. He just knows when we are leaving. He has never been to New Orleans before so I think he will really enjoy the couple of days we will be there.

Kim

I would be so touched if my fiance (another Scottie) did something like that. You've more than just booked a cruise; you have attended to every tiny detail. The fact that you have been so conscientous and put so much thought and effort into this surprise is absolutely wonderful. If my Scottie pulled something like this off, he would be up for the Hubby-of-the-Year Award.

It is not until October. Unfortunately I had to break the news to my wife as some things had come up. She actually responded quite negatively at first. She accused me of putting her job in jeapordy by contacting her manager to ask for the time off. She also accused me of being controlling by doing so. She doesn't have any time off left for the year so I had to ask her employer to give her the time off unpaid. Her employer told me that while it is not their policy to grant unpaid time off, they decided to grant it due to the circumstances. Truth is, when I first started about planning this trip last year, she was working with a different company. I had already worked out all of these details with her former employer. Once she changed employers, I already had much of the tripped planned and either payed for, or at the very least, a deposit put down.

And even though she wasn't planning on going anywhere for her birthday, she also voiced disapproval that I wasn't taking her back home (Puerto Rico) for her birthday. When I was in the planning stages, I considered a cruise out of Puerto Rico that would allow her to spend her 40th with her family and then we would sail the next day. Many people felt that it may be best to not involve family in the trip as they tend to add stress to any situation.

She was also mad because we took another trip earlier in the year that used up all her vacation time for the year. She felt that I should not have planned the earlier trip and saved the vacation time for this upcoming trip. However, I was concerned that if I got her manager to allocate her time off for this trip, then what was her manager going to tell her if she put in a request to have time off for a day before then? I tried to handle it the best way I thought I could and still keep every thing a secret.

Oddly enough, I was talking to someone I really respect the other day who told me that even though I had the best intentions in putting this trip together, my actions we invasive. That some people just don't respond well to surprises and my wife appears to be one of these people.

My wife has since changed her tune and has apologized if it appeared she came across as ungreatful and that she was thankful for the trip and the though behind it. However, I still can't help but feel a bit stupid going through all this work only to be greeted by that initial response. I was just trying to determine if I made a big mistake trying to put this together in the first place?

I wanted to do this for my husband a couple of years ago (boyfriend at the time), but never did get the chance. I'm hoping sometime in the next few years to be able to though. I think it's a great idea. Although I do enjoy planning all of the details for our vacations myself and the anticipation leading up to it I think if he did something like this for me I'd be so excited I wouldn't mind that he'd packed for me. And if there was something I needed that wasn't packed I'd just pick it up somewhere if possible. :)

Aww I'm so sorry it didn't work out as planned. I can understand her being a bit upset as it was a new job vs her old one so sometimes you don't want to rock the boat when you're the new person, but that's still a bummer it turned out that way.

I guess it just depends on the person whether or not they would enjoy this type of surprise. I hope you guys still have a great trip!

Packing concerned me too. It is one of the reasons why I had arranged with her manager to get out of work a little early that last day. That way when she got home, she could make final decision as to what she wanted to bring. I was mainly going to get a lot of things put out I think she would like to bring but not pack them in the suitcases until she gave final approval. I can completely understand the apprehension about having a man pick out a woman's clothes which is why I was going to make a best faith effort and let her finalize the choices.

As far as planning goes, yeah, my wife is not like those of you who like to plan. She doesn't come to these boards leading up to a cruise. She doesn't check out the roll calls. She doesn't research the ports. She leaves all of that to me. Chances are, if I don't plan something, then we are not doing anything. Planning and her do not belong in the same sentence :)

It is not until October. Unfortunately I had to break the news to my wife as some things had come up. She actually responded quite negatively at first. She accused me of putting her job in jeapordy by contacting her manager to ask for the time off. She also accused me of being controlling by doing so. She doesn't have any time off left for the year so I had to ask her employer to give her the time off unpaid. Her employer told me that while it is not their policy to grant unpaid time off, they decided to grant it due to the circumstances. Truth is, when I first started about planning this trip last year, she was working with a different company. I had already worked out all of these details with her former employer. Once she changed employers, I already had much of the tripped planned and either payed for, or at the very least, a deposit put down.

And even though she wasn't planning on going anywhere for her birthday, she also voiced disapproval that I wasn't taking her back home (Puerto Rico) for her birthday. When I was in the planning stages, I considered a cruise out of Puerto Rico that would allow her to spend her 40th with her family and then we would sail the next day. Many people felt that it may be best to not involve family in the trip as they tend to add stress to any situation.

She was also mad because we took another trip earlier in the year that used up all her vacation time for the year. She felt that I should not have planned the earlier trip and saved the vacation time for this upcoming trip. However, I was concerned that if I got her manager to allocate her time off for this trip, then what was her manager going to tell her if she put in a request to have time off for a day before then? I tried to handle it the best way I thought I could and still keep every thing a secret.

Oddly enough, I was talking to someone I really respect the other day who told me that even though I had the best intentions in putting this trip together, my actions we invasive. That some people just don't respond well to surprises and my wife appears to be one of these people.

My wife has since changed her tune and has apologized if it appeared she came across as ungreatful and that she was thankful for the trip and the though behind it. However, I still can't help but feel a bit stupid going through all this work only to be greeted by that initial response. I was just trying to determine if I made a big mistake trying to put this together in the first place?

You shouldn't beat yourself up about this, but it did not sound like a good idea to me.

But then I am not all that keen on surprises.

I am sure she appreciates that you tried.

Sometimes our loved ones screwing up makes us love them all the more. :)

Her response reminds of the guys that stage an elaborate wedding proposal only to be crushed when the girl doesn't respond with an immediate and effusive...yes! Your heart was in the right place and now that the cat is out of the bag, you'll both have a great time. I booked Valor/Glory B2B a year in advance for Dec. and have kept it a secret from DW and out little boy. Wanted to have everything paid before telling her and will probably spring the surprise next week for her birthday. That way she'll have time to anticipate and pack.

Sorry it didn't work out as planned. :(

While I'd love the surprise (and not being the one who had to plan everything) it's never going to happen.

I could surprise the hubs, but there is no way he's ever going to surprise me with a trip of any kind - certainly not last minute with packing involved. I can pack for him with ease (and he'd prefer if I did), but he won't even go into my purse without cringing in fear (when he's asked me for something and I've said "it's in my purse") , never mind attempting to pack for me.

Hell, he won't even fold my clothes when he does laundry. I don't know what instilled that sort of fear in him, but it wasn't my doing.

(Gawd, I hope I'm never incapacitated to the point of him having to take care of me without detailed instructions!)

Archived