Help! Equinox or Summit??

tennisqueen

Trying to make my winter cruise plan but in a quandary. There are pros and cons to both of these ships/itineraries. DH and I are planning to travel in February 2013. I've heard mixed things about the "Solsticized" Summit but it's less expensive than the Equinox. Equinox is 10 days -- will I go stir crazy, particularly with a total of 4 days at sea? Air fare to San Juan for the Summit is ridiculously expensive right now and does not have many nonstop flights from Chicago. Equinox has gotten fabulous reviews.

What are your thoughts?

Trying to make my winter cruise plan but in a quandary. There are pros and cons to both of these ships/itineraries. DH and I are planning to travel in February 2013. I've heard mixed things about the "Solsticized" Summit but it's less expensive than the Equinox. Equinox is 10 days -- will I go stir crazy, particularly with a total of 4 days at sea? Air fare to San Juan for the Summit is ridiculously expensive right now and does not have many nonstop flights from Chicago. Equinox has gotten fabulous reviews.

What are your thoughts?

I have sailed both ships.:) I am going back on Summit for the 5th time

in November and it will be my first time since her "Solsticizing".

4 previous cruises on her and I loved every one of them.....:D

Now, as for Equinox, I sailed her for the 2nd time in May and she

is terrific too.....and as for going "stir crazy"? That would never happen

to me:D.....10 days vs 7 and your airfare is less to Florida...

I know I am not much help because I would do either one again but

if I could do a longer cruise? I would always do it first:)

I've done 10 days and loved them because the 7 day cruises were just a little too short. Leaving out of San Juan means you are already in warmer waters for the whole trip. There are fewer flights to both Ft. Lauderdale and San Juan so air is more expensive these days. What do you like to do? If you want more options for dinner go Equinox. Rooms will be equivalent. Do you like relaxing sea days? They are the same number of islands just more time to relax on Equinox. Do the specific islands matter or is it just getting away? I look at price and itinerary. This year i just could not get away for 10 days so I am going on Summit. Personally i would love to do back to back Summit and get more vacation. Good luck with your decision but it's a win either way.

michelle

I would definitely take the 10 day out of Florida over the 7 day from San Juan if I were able to do either just as easily.

To me seven days is way to short and I love having the two sea days at each end of the cruise. I've done this same itinerary (or very similar ones) 4 times. Of course your listing of cruises shows that you've done enough cruising to know a bit about the itineraries and if you personally like sea days as much as we do or if you hate them.

I haven't looked at the itineraries but they are generally very similar. Both get the the south Caribbean but not as far south as Curacao or Aruba - you need the 14 night out of Florida or a 10/11 night out of San Juan (Celebrity isn't doing those this year). The main difference is the Equinox needs the extra days to get to/from the Caribbean while the Summit starts out already there.

As far as the ship's are concerned, both have good points and I'd easily cruise either. While the Summit is reported to be in great shape, and well maintained, it still won't have as new of a look feel as the Equinox will since it is around 7 or 8 years older.

If you haven't been to San Juan before then the going there for a few days pre/post cruise might be a plus even though it is a bit harder and more expensive to get to than Florida. If you do go then stay in Old San Juan if you haven't done so before. You'll see better beaches on your cruise than those in San Juan but you won't see another city center anything like it on your cruise.

You will enjoy either ship. Equinox is very nice. Summit is gorgeous. I just did the Summit after the refurb. It was great. For me the deciding fact would be warmth. I love sailing out of San Juan. In the winter, San Juan is warm. Ft. Lauderdale isn't always warm. I would do the Summit.

Archived