Best time of year to visit alaska

Meggiemoo

I am considering a cruise to Alaska and have read a lot of threads which are a great help.

Does anyone have an opinion on the best month to visit? We cannot go much before August (maybe last week in July) so it would have to be any week in August or September

Thanks

This is one that you will get lots of opinions on.

The reality is that no one can predict with certainty what the weather will be like because weather really does change often from day to day and sometimes hour to hour and also because just like other parts of the world the weather pattern changes.

September will be less crowded than August because of less kids. It might be cooler with less daylight so each one has its trade offs.

My view is find the itinerary and the time frame that will work best for you and book it sooner rather than later.

Keith

We just cruised Celebrity's Infinity/Roundtrip Seattle August 17-24 and had Awesome Weather. It was in in 90's in Seattle and Every Port was Sunny, Warm & NO RAIN...

In mid July 2003, Rain, Rain, & More Rain...

We are thinking of Alaska again next Summer...Hope to have Sunshine Again???

As someone who lives here I can say forget the weather. It will be what it will be and there is no way to predict one week over another.

Know this-that August September is the transition to fall. By August, the days are getting noticeably shorter. By September, Anchorage is down to about 12 hours of daylight.

September will be cooler-last night it was 31 for an official low-but some parts of Anchorage dipped into the 20's. That will not happen in early August.

With Fall comes the leaves changing color. Snow also may fall-they've already had some at Denali.

So, that is what I would look at-Do you want moderate temps and more light or cooler temps and less light....

As someone who lives here I can say forget the weather. It will be what it will be and there is no way to predict one week over another.

Know this-that August September is the transition to fall. By August, the days are getting noticeably shorter. By September, Anchorage is down to about 12 hours of daylight.

September will be cooler-last night it was 31 for an official low-but some parts of Anchorage dipped into the 20's. That will not happen in early August.

With Fall comes the leaves changing color. Snow also may fall-they've already had some at Denali.

So, that is what I would look at-Do you want moderate temps and more light or cooler temps and less light....

We're just back from a cruisetour -- 1 week on land and 1 week on the Diamond Princess. We loved our early September trip. Yes, we got rain, snow at Denali and some cool temperatures. But the termination dust on the mountains was beautiful, the colours on the mountains were beautiful. Most of the time we were in a coach, rail car or boat/ship so the temps and rains really weren't that much of an issue.

Saying that, one of the reasons we went in September was to see the northern lights. Never saw them unfortunately. :( But we did get to see Mt. McKinley which had been hiding for over a week before we got there.:D

We just got back from our Aug 31 cruise and a 5+ day land tour. While it was cooler than many cruises had earlier this season, I do not feel that we had more rain than others. Yes, we had some rain on many days (often before we got off the ship), it was very windy 2 days and we had snow in Denali, but, I am happy with our decision to go in the fall. The termination dust and the fall colors of the tundra were spectacular.

View of a beaver lodge from the train about an hour south of Denali.

closeupofbeaver.jpg

I am just back from almost a 5 week Alaska trip. Left August 8.

You never can book an Alaska trip, and expect weather to be predictable. You MUST be accepting of wide ranges.

But, daylight is a significant feature of Alaska travel- and many times a superior choice to make. Going past the first week of Sept. has significantly less scenic sailing viewing which for infrequent visitors, may be a priority. IF northern lights are a priority, then ytou need to consider way more than a few days for a possible "view". On my aurora priority trips- it was two weeks. I wouldn't consider less. :)

Take a look at many factors when making a decision and pick what works best in your case. Being well prepared in attire makes a significant difference. Any time you are there is a treasure- make the most of it. :)

I am just back from almost a 5 week Alaska trip. Left August 8.

You never can book an Alaska trip, and expect weather to be predictable. You MUST be accepting of wide ranges.

:)

I wondered where you were on these boards. I usually see lots of posts from you. :)

We sailed from Aug 31-Sept 7. (plus a 5+ day land tour) During that time it was still very light until 9pm. We had the late dinner seating which started at 8:30 so we could look out the window by the table for the first portion. Then we were eating. After dinner we did some shows and other ship activities.

We were up early. Alaska excursions (booked independently) begin VERY early. By dinner time we were too tired to stay up very late. So, we did not feel we would have sat up watching the scenery pass. I would like to have seen the novelty of daylight during the night. As east coast residents the time change took some getting used to.

I would avoid later in September if at all possible. Currently I am reading reports of ships missing ports the past few days. The same happened last year on some of the last cruises of the season. Although you can have great or miserable weather anytime you go, the odds are against you the later you go in September.

I would decide what I wanted to include in my trip and then decide when the best time is for the activities I hope to participate in.

We just got back from a land tour/cruise from 8/30-9/12, and although the weather was cool and rainy, there were advantages...

DSC06554_zpse30bb745.jpg

DSC06518_zps7e893794.jpg

One week earlier and we wouldn't have seen the full Fall colors, one week later and the wind would have denuded the trees of their leaves. So even with only 1 real sunny day out of 13, we were awestruck by the landscapes.

Cheers,

Paul (aka mgcarnut)

For some, this would be a negative of touring in this instance, especially in Alaska.

My thought exactly when I read that comment. Not the way I would want to see Alaska.

"Best" time to visit Alaska? Probably in the winter. Lots of activities, especially in late Feb/early Mar. Few tourists. Excellent time to visit.

We had a cruise tour August 26th-Sept 7th. We had a little of everything, snow in Denali, a storm in the Gulf of Alaska and high 70's in Ketchikan. We had also had rain. We went with the attitude of expecting rain everyday, but we had a little of everything and we really feel this added to our trip. I don't think you should go thinking that if it is not perfect weather it won't be great. It will be great! We saw full foliage in Denali, amazing! You never know what Mother Nature will throw at you. Alaska is an adventure, don't let the time of year make you think it is not a great time to go. At least at the end of summer you will miss the bugs.( Well some of them). Just saying I do not regret going when we did. We had one of the greatest adventures of our lives. Have a great time when you do go.

We took a northbound cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage from September 8-15. It rained everyday. I had read that this could be the case and packed the appropriate clothes, however, it would have been nice to have at least one day of sun without the fog and mist. If we cruise again, we will go in August.

There no one best time to visit Alaska each part of the cruise season has its appeal. Personally I prefer the period between mid-July thru mid-August. During that period you still have lots of daylight, the temps tend to be warmer, the fish are starting to spawn in the rivers and the circle of life in Alaska has begun. That said, there just are no guarantees when it comes weather in Alaska, as the previous post has pointed out, they had nothing but rain in early September, two years ago in the same period we had lovely warm weather and the year before that we had some terrible weather.

Archived