South America Cruise Questions

SailinC2C

We are sailing on the Star jan 30th. Can anyone who has one this cruise before answer a few questions?

-Has anyone taken a taxi from the Airport? We are arriving 3 days early and I don't know if we should prearrange a Limo or just take a cab. does the taxi far include the road tolls or are they extra? I am getting mixed answers on this when I google it.

- Does Princess do a tango show as part of the entertainment?

- Ha anyone attended a Tango show in Buenos Aires they can recommend?

Thanks for your help.

We are sailing on the Star jan 30th. Can anyone who has one this cruise before answer a few questions?

-Has anyone taken a taxi from the Airport? We are arriving 3 days early and I don't know if we should prearrange a Limo or just take a cab. does the taxi far include the road tolls or are they extra? I am getting mixed answers on this when I google it.

Thanks for your help.

You should specify the port you are asking about. I assume it is Rio, BA or Santiago, but not sure which

We were on the Star last year over the holidays. TA from the Med then around the Horn. 3rd time we had done that trip over the Holidays. on all trips there were tango dancers doing shows in the Atrium. While in Rio they had a group from Carnival doing a show in the Princess theater.

We attended a great tango performance in Buenos Aires, with a great dinner. Can't remember the name, but it was one of the trips sold on disembarkation tours to the airport.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help.

We were on the Star from Rio this past Feb. At that time there was no Tango show on ship. Don't know about the other items.

Thanks for your help.

There currently is a "tango" thread in this South American section that has some pretty good info on it!

Here is a link to the current Tango thread on this forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1702568

About a taxi from the airport: There are three acceptable ways to get from EZE to the city center, and one unacceptable means of transportation.

First, You could take the shuttle operated by Manuel Tienda Leon. The shuttle will take you to a downtown terminal where you can transfer to a regular cab or a car operated by the shuttle service to your hotel.

http://www.tiendaleon.com.ar/prehome.asp?flash=N

Second, you can take a blue and white cab operated by Taxi Ezeiza. Their booth is found in the main entry hall. It is directly in front of you after you exit customs.

http://www.taxiezeiza.com.ar/

The final option to arrange a private car or remise. This option was mentioned by another poster. There are at least four companies that maintain booths at the international airport, all reputable. World Car, VIP, Tienda Leon and several others. Prices are only slightly higher than for a cab.

Whichever choice you prefer, be sure to verify the car or bus is air conditioned. Air is very important in the hot, humid BA summer (remember their seasons are the reverse of ours).

There is a fourth option, calling a radio cab to pick you up...but unless you have access to a phone and speak Spanish this is not a very practical alternative.

The unacceptable choice is to grab a cab from the curb. Don't do it. Ever. Use one of the booths inside the terminal building to arrange transport.

I'd definately go for http://www.taxiezeiza.com.ar/eng . We used them in February. Airport to City was £35/US$50 flat fare. We had a few traffic hold ups as we arrived around rush hour, so took us just over the hour, but the same fare. As Dr D says, their booth is right outside the exit from customs. If you book they will even have your name up on the wall to show you're in the right place! If you look at fares on their website they use a $ to indicate Argentine Pesos...I thought it was a bit expensive at first!!

Simon

Isn't there a shuttle bus from the airport to the Hotels?

I have not taken the shuttle for several years, but unless things have changed, the shuttle goes from EZE to a downtown terminal near the Sheraton. There was provision to arrange onward passage to your hotel via a shuttle company car or a local radio taxi.

The thing about the shuttle is that for a couple it does not save much money over the cost of a private car or taxi from the airport. Taxis and private cars charge a flat fee per car, whereas the shuttle charge is per person.

The shuttle charges 70 pesos per person from the airport to the downtown terminal, or 140 pesos per couple plus the cost of a transfer from the downtown station to your hotel..Taxi Ezeiza charges 198 pesos direct to your hotel. So by the time you add on a fee to get from the shuttle terminal to your hotel, there is very little difference.

one dollar=4.66 at the official rate. All figures are subject to change, of course...

The shuttle charges 70 pesos per person from the airport to the downtown terminal, or 140 pesos per couple plus the cost of a transfer from the downtown station to your hotel.

Generally agree that for 2 or more the TML shuttle bus doesn't save a whole lot although last time I took the shuttle (9 months ago) there was no surcharge for the cab that took me to my final destination from the TML Retiro office. Surprisingly, the price is still 70 pesos pp, unlike the cost of a cab which rises faster to keep or outpace the 30 % per year inflation rate. The TML pvt remise is now 270 pesos from EZE to downtown/Palermo/Recoleta/Aeroparque Newberry (see http://www.tiendaleon.com.ar/home/home.asp. I would not be surprised if today a regular cab from EZE to the port or downtown is 250 pesos.

p.s. tipping cabs in BA is neither required or expected

one dollar=4.66 at the official rate. All figures are subject to change, of course...

Travelers to BA should be made aware that there is an easily accessible black aka blue aka parallel aka informal market for US cash. Hotel bartenders, bellboys, your corner grocer, and nowadays, the average man on the street will all be able to direct you to a cueva (black market money change house). That is, of course, if they don't offer to buy the US dollars themself. For the current informal market rate (6.3 pesos to the US$) see http://ambito.com/economia/mercados/dolar.asp.

p.s. We are all subject to change.

Generally agree that for 2 or more the TML shuttle bus doesn't save a whole lot although last time I took the shuttle (9 months ago) there was no surcharge for the cab that took me to my final destination from the TML Retiro office. Surprisingly, the price is still 70 pesos pp, unlike the cost of a cab which rises faster to keep or outpace the 30 % per year inflation rate. The TML pvt remise is now 270 pesos from EZE to downtown/Palermo/Recoleta/Aeroparque Newberry (see http://www.tiendaleon.com.ar/home/home.asp. I would not be surprised if today a regular cab from EZE to the port or downtown is 250 pesos.

p.s. tipping cabs in BA is neither required or expected

Travelers to BA should be made aware that there is an easily accessible black aka blue aka parallel aka informal market for US cash. Hotel bartenders, bellboys, your corner grocer, and nowadays, the average man on the street will all be able to direct you to a cueva (black market money change house). That is, of course, if they don't offer to buy the US dollars themself. For the current informal market rate (6.3 pesos to the US$) see http://ambito.com/economia/mercados/dolar.asp.

p.s. We are all subject to change.

Taxi EZE website is still showing 198 pesos. They usually update when there is a change in fare. 270? Wow. Remise prices have sure gone up. Nice to know there is no surcharge to go on to the hotel.....I still wouldn't mess with the hassle of changing vehicles to save a few bucks, but couples on a tight budget might consider this option.

I did not mention the black, or blue as it is known locally, market because arriving passengers would not have access to informal exchange rates while at the airport...but this is good information to know once they arrive in the city. Thanks for the additional information.

Archived