Backpack recommendations?

reginaphalange

This isn't really "beauty" or "fashion" related, but I wasn't sure where else to post this, LOL!

We are looking at purchasing a backpack for DH to carry around during our excursions. We plan to take things like: bottled water, granola bars/trail mix, sunscreen, our camera, etc...(please feel free to let me know if there is anything else we should plan on taking for our excursions, too! :D)

I want something that is going to hold up well and not put a lot of strain on his shoulders or back.

Anyone have any recommendations?

We are looking at purchasing a backpack for DH to carry around during our excursions.....I want something that is going to hold up well and not put a lot of strain on his shoulders or back.

To treat his back and shoulders well, get a properly constructed backpack with padded shoulders, not a fashion backpack......I love mine from Mountain Equipment Co-op, which is a Canadian company; REI is the closest equivalent in the US. Look to an outdoor store that carries camping gear, or even LLBean.

I'm on my 2nd Jansport day pack since college 25 years ago and I love it. But last year I bought one of those drawstring style bags on clearance w/coupon from Eddie Bauer. It was less than $10 and we love it. Used on our Caribbean cruise in June. Sometimes the regular backpacks/day packs are too hot to carry all day.

To treat his back and shoulders well, get a properly constructed backpack with padded shoulders, not a fashion backpack......I love mine from Mountain Equipment Co-op, which is a Canadian company; REI is the closest equivalent in the US. Look to an outdoor store that carries camping gear, or even LLBean.

BBM

For backpacks DH and I are BIG fans of LL Bean!

HAPPY CRUISING!!

We used a back-pack for years..until...

Celebrity gave me a over-body bag that holds everything I need, but not so big that it is in the way...

We just got a messenger bag for DH...it's over-body, so little strain on his back. Celebrity also gave him a fannypack, which works great. It has a place to put his water bottle, holds an extra one and camera, etc.

What you take ashore will depend on what you're doing! We just use a tote for beach things...for towels, sunscreen, my book, etc....if it's a boat ride of some sort, we pack for what we'll be doing...snorkeling, or just riding!

For just walking about town, I just take my purse....

Just know that whoever is the designated carrier of the "stuff' will tire of being the "pack mule"....so keep whatever you decide to use as small as possible!

I LOVE MEC! I live in the US. I always shop at the MEC store in Calgary when I'm there. I also order things from the website. They do ship to the US. So, if you see something you like on the site, it CAN be bought in the lower 48...

That said, I like my Mountain Hardware Agama pack. Nice padded shoulder straps and a padded back. Lots of carrying space in 2 compartments and a mesh front spot (put my Bose QC15s in their case there when traveling, or my bicycle helmet when I'm at home. It has a chest strap and a little waist strap. It looks a little more "technical" than the usual daypack, but that's part of what drew me to it. Mine is black with yellow zipper pulls and ice pick strap.

I have the REI ultralight backpack for travel. In fact, it lives in my suitcase so I never forget it. Decent capacity; couple of pockets inside; good straps; sternum strap and light waist belt. Runs around $20. It also has a pocket to hold a hydration system bladder/tubing system.

I have used it all day sightseeing and short hikes; all day at Disney world. Drawstring top so easy to access your stuff--no buckles and such.

I use an American Bag HealthyBack bag. The strap allows wearing in many ways to lower the stress and there is great organisation options.

You might also try a travel vest. Great for males in airport because all pocket items are in one item that you just put through the xray. No scrambling to get everything out of pockets and back in again. We both use fishing vests from Bass Pro Shop which cost less than $25 and have the same features of the very expensive travel vests.

I am the "pack mule" for our family. My husband has reminded me that I need to have a "ploppable" purse -- meaning large enough for folders, travel guide etc. Now we each carry some:D

The 'ploppable purse' means you know who is carting around all the weight and bulk. I never carry a large purse ashore as I'd end up carrying all of DH's things and I don't want all that weight on my shoulder. I take a smallish purse and don't get loaded down.

The 'ploppable purse' means you know who is carting around all the weight and bulk. I never carry a large purse ashore as I'd end up carrying all of DH's things and I don't want all that weight on my shoulder. I take a smallish purse and don't get loaded down.

Ha ha ha... something we have in common:) I gave up carrying large bags about 15 years ago when I got tired of lugging DH's stuff too

But for those times when we are going ashore and perhaps carrying a towel etc. we have a smallish see through net back pack. I bought it in Walmart.

Because most of the body is net, it is very light (when empty) and the bad guys can see that there is nothing worth stealing.

But we only take this when heading for a beach, as a backpack marks you as a tourist.. not that it is usually in doubt when most of us wear levi's and carry cameras:D

I'm a big fan of messenger bags because I can access my stuff without having to take a backpack off to get into it AND it doesn't make my back hot! I have different sizes for different times. I will always have a camera or two with me along with my RFID blocking wallet.

Wow, great recommendations!

THANK YOU!

It looks like we will be headed to REI this weekend.

Runnergirl26.2, I especially like the sounds of the one you suggested. I have an actual hydration pack/backpack for walking/running. Seeing as I drink lots of water, I wonder if it would be a good idea for me to bring that along (it also has other pockets for trail mix, camera, sunscreen, etc.).

Archived