Your nice ring(s)

grams98

This may seem like a silly question but I really don't know what to do about this. Normally, my two wedding rings are like my 11th finger to me and I wouldn't leave them behind on a cruise. The safe provides ample security for the water excursions, and otherwise, I wear them. But this time, we are doing a ten day precruise in Thailand and a four day post cruise in china. I can't decide if I should wear the rings or leave them home. I figure this would be the place to ask, as you have probably spent time pre or post cruise in Asia and would

have experience with this. For me, this is my first trip and I have only been on five cruises total. I have always worn my rings to Europe, Caribbean, etc! Putting them in the safe when I was afraid of losing them. But, this time it just seems different. But we will be gone a full month, too. Have any of you figured out a good way to deal with this? And thanks in advance for any answers I get. I tried googling it and didn't find much on the topic. Thanks, grams98

I always leave my "REAL" good set at home and have a faux set I wear when I travel..However I am going to be doing a 2 week land only China and am considering just a simple band..I feel a little different about this trip than I have about Europe, Baltics and the Caribbean etc. too..better safe than sorry.

I have been to China in many areas as well as Thailand and my husbands first rule for this area was LEAVE the flashy or good stuff at home.

If you are going into the interior of any of these regions it is not a good idea as they are uncomfortable with seeing this displayed. Jade on the other hand is well respected no mater what size the piece and even humble families wear it with pride. We are in China many times for business and many of the women we travel with follow this rule. I bought simple small earrings I could leave in and a simple wedding band I had (it does not mean you have to have nothing). The girls at the factory the first year took me to buy a jade bracelet made of small balls of jade. Simple but pretty. I wear it all the time now.

I never travel with my good jewelry.

I have a copy of my wedding set and take custom/fun stuff for everything else. If I lose it, no problem. If someone wants to steal it, knock themselves out, they can have all it. It's not worth the worry, you're on vacation!

I always leave my "REAL" good set at home and have a faux set I wear when I travel..However I am going to be doing a 2 week land only China and am considering just a simple band..I feel a little different about this trip than I have about Europe, Baltics and the Caribbean etc. too..better safe than sorry.

Nothing wrong with an abundance of caution, but in most parts of China (and any you are likely to visit) you are at a much lower risk of pickpockets and especially being mugged than in the Baltics, Caribbean or even in Europe or the US.

Nothing wrong with an abundance of caution, but in most parts of China (and any you are likely to visit) you are at a much lower risk of pickpockets and especially being mugged than in the Baltics, Caribbean or even in Europe or the US.

It is not pickpockets I am referring to it is in some places not Shanghai or Hong Kong but smaller places it is very uncomfortable for the Chinese to see wealth on display in that manner. Jade is how they show their success and prosperity.

I lived in Hong Kong for a few years and wouldn't think twice about going out with my jewels/rings on. I never felt unsafe. Rural areas who knows maybe just something plainer like a band and earrings.

I found it the opposite in Hong Kong about showing wealth. It is a very materialistic place and there are many high end brands and expensive watches and luxury goods all over the place even those travelling on the MTR.

I lived in Hong Kong for a few years and wouldn't think twice about going out with my jewels/rings on. I never felt unsafe. Rural areas who knows maybe just something plainer like a band and earrings.

Yes, I found Hong Kong loves showing its wealth. It is a very materialistic place and there are many high end watches and luxury goods all over the place even those travelling on the MTR.

The reason I felt differently about those locations is that I was always on a cruise ship and could leave part of my faux set in the safe when touring certain areas...China is a land only tour three cities involved and four hotels...so no need to wear/take more than a simple band...JMHO

Yes, I found Hong Kong loves showing its wealth. It is a very materialistic place and there are many high end watches and luxury goods all over the place even those travelling on the MTR.

I won't be going to Hong Kong...so no need to show my wealth :D:D

Everyone has certainly given me a lot of great ideas. I guess the dilemma this time is because of the precruise and post cruise. Because usually we are just getting off cruise to tour for the day and I put my jewelry in the safe. When I travel in the US, I always wear my nice watch and two nice rings. Don't think twice Bout it. They are like extensions of me I am so,used to wearing them. Forminstance, Next week we go to Disney with the grand kids and will wear them. I should stress that no matter where we stay, I make sure there is a safe in room. I just won't book a hotel without one in the rooms. Even the b and b we are staying at in Ayitthaya, Thailand has an in room safe. But this trip, I am taking everyone's advice and leaving the expensive stuff at home . I don't have but a few things and wouldn't want to,lose them. Thanks again, grams98

I am from Canada and in the Sat. Toronto Star travel section this weekend is an article on just this topic. It state that when traveling in China (interior not Hong Kong still is not like China) that understated is the word. The people are offended by great displays of wealth as it is not in their culture. The article goes on to say they know someone is doing something illegal if they are wearing large flashy watches and diamond for show. Funny this article just appeared yesterday (half page worth).

I was married with both my good band and a very simple band..the simple band has never been off. I leave anything good at home. I lived in Mexico for many, many years and never went anywhere without jewelry that if someone said "hand it over" I wouldn't gladly. Private parties are another matter.

I once had a fake Rolex to wear on the street and realized how I would feel if my hand was chopped off for a FAKE Rolex! Daytime is Timex!

Sherry

I too worried a little about China and Thailand and I also worried about Rio de Janerio last year. Where did I get robbed in the last 3 years. Twice in the "nice" shopping center 2 miles from home and on Easter Sunday in a Brussels train station. My cousin lost her entire carryon suitcase with all her fragile and good stuff!! So be cautious everywhere. :(

I have a plain "gold braid" band that I sometimes wear. I also sometimes just turn my rings around and have stones to the palm -- easy to do. Most of the time I just take costume jewelry. One of my favorite travel habits is to buy handcrafted and CHEAP earrings and pendants from the parking lots and little markets we visit on shore. Anything I would feel bad about loosing (Diamond band from 30th anniversary/matching engagement ring/ mother in law's ruby/diamond pendant/ some gold coin pendants (worth more than diamonds these days:rolleyes:) I leave home. I usually drop them off to the safety box at the bank. Folks do know you are not home. I do trust my neighbor next door to watch our place -- she watches it when we are home and never misses a thing!:rolleyes:

To the person with the faith in the safe in hotel rooms. SIL the hotel manager says that there are "safety" codes that open the electronic locks. Daily folks leave without clearing the safe and though they shouldn't most folks behind the scenes know the codes so they can open the safe and prepare the room for next visitor. I usually just leave my "valuables" in the suitcase tucked away but hiding in plain view. Better yet I wear my travel vest and they are in one of the many pockets. Best to do with as little as possible -- you look rich enough with that big old SLR camera hanging from your neck . That's a year's salary you know.

Had no idea that hotels could get into room safes?? Yikes! I thought that I always saw some note on the safe that said I would be charged the locksmith fee if I forget to leave the safe cleared. Have to think twice bout that one. As far as leaving stuff locked in the suitcase, I had a whole suitcase taken from my room once in southern France. Makes you wonder what to travel with, or without. But thanks for everyone' s. input. Very helpful and interesting. Fewer things makes packing easier and nothing expensive means less worry. Sounds like plan. Thanks again grams98

I was married with both my good band and a very simple band..the simple band has never been off. I leave anything good at home. I lived in Mexico for many, many years and never went anywhere without jewelry that if someone said "hand it over" I wouldn't gladly. Private parties are another matter.

I once had a fake Rolex to wear on the street and realized how I would feel if my hand was chopped off for a FAKE Rolex! Daytime is Timex!

Sherry

True.

Besides the aspect of not flaunting your wealth in humble areas of the world, if what you're wearing is fake and it still looks expensive it targets you as a mark. Better to wear something simple and unobtrusive.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me that people who have lived in 'Asian' countries have a different opinion to those who have never been there before and who will certainly be subjected to culture shock when they first arrive.

Like celticgirl I live, have lived, and still work in various 'Asian' countries. I always take my jewellery with me and I wear it but it depends where (and it's not cheap). I actually love the 22k gold that is so preferred in Asia and is very obviously expensive. And that is one of my points: try going to any Indian, Malaysian or Chinese events in Asia and you will see more gold on open display than in your average jewellers store in the "West".

It tends to be a matter of socio economic status of the country and area you are in. I would not wear my jewellery walking down the street in Vietnam and Cambodia because of snatch and grabs, and locals will warn you not to. I would also not wear it in any Asian country if I was going market shopping: one look at you and the price will skyrocket anyway, but dripping with jewellery and it is out of the stratosphere.

I do wear 22k gold, gemstones etc., in Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong and major cities in China and Thailand without a worry in the world. But that's me. It's always also a matter of personal comfort.

Archived