Privacy on Boardwalk Balconies

spg112357

Just came off the Oasis of the Seas.

What a great great time we had.

We have been on many cruise most with ocean view balconies.

Our cabin on the Oasis was 12323 Boardwalk Balcony.

It was wonderful. We could watch the Aqua Theater shows. There was a large public aft deck just 4 doors down from us that no one really used and was a great place to watch docking or the shows or just lay back and watch the ocean. We could also people watch on our balcony and see the ocean out the rear of the ship. We could watch as people zipped past us on the zipline.

Now to the point of this thread............

Although the boardwalk balconies are great for all the things I have said there is one issue that some may see as a drawback and others may see as an advantage.

It is very easy to see what people are doing in the boardwalk balcony cabins that are on the opposite side. Even with the sheer curtains closed you can see into the cabin, even with the light off, with the light on you can see people clearly. And if the curtains are completely open you can see everything that someone is doing.

I saw people taking a rest on the bed after taking off their swim suits. I saw romantic encounters. I saw arguments. I saw parents reading bedtime stories to their children. I saw people putting on makeup (and that was just the guys).

Now don't get me wrong, it was not like I was an intentional peeping tom. I was just laying on my bed, or sitting on the couch, or sitting on the balcony when I saw these things.

Has anyone else seen what I am talking about?

Now I think that RCCL should research this a little, perhaps they can have a reality show "What happens in the cabin" or perhaps they should consider putting privacy glass in the balcony windows or even privacy film so people can not see in. It would also help stop the sun shinning in and reduce energy usage.

What do you all think?

Thanks for sharing. Yes, have heard about the lack of privacy on the inside balconies and Promenade cabins; it's been discussed here before. This is one of the reasons we will never book one.

Glad you had a good cruise, though. :)

We've had Promenade cabins on AOS and the only privacy issue would be if you left the drapes open. The inside balconies on Oasis would not be our thing. Is there also an issue with Oasis Promenade cabins specifically? If so, I'd want to be forewarned before deciding about booking one.

When we were on the allure, we had a central park balcony and we noticed that there were two types of shades....a thinner one to give minimal privacy and a thicker, fully opaque privacy curtain. We used each of them conscientiously throughout our cruise.

I can't comment on the oasis, however contrary to many people's belief, the two ships don't have the exact same cabin enhancements. I think rcl learned a thing or two or read comment cards early in the deployment of the oasis (if I had just spent over a billion dollars launching a new and innovative product, I would definately solicit feedback). Some changes include the location of the power receptacles, the iPod docks, and perhaps the curtains fore neighboourhood balconies.

When we were on the allure, we had a central park balcony and we noticed that there were two types of shades....a thinner one to give minimal privacy and a thicker, fully opaque privacy curtain. We used each of them conscientiously throughout our cruise.

I can't comment on the oasis, however contrary to many people's belief, the two ships don't have the exact same cabin enhancements. I think rcl learned a thing or two or read comment cards early in the deployment of the oasis (if I had just spent over a billion dollars launching a new and innovative product, I would definately solicit feedback). Some changes include the location of the power receptacles, the iPod docks, and perhaps the curtains fore neighboourhood balconies.

Good to know in both cases, since our next cruise will likely be on Allure. We're not likely to book either a promenade or inside balcony, though, but for other reasons.

The thing I found most interesting was when numerous people hung up laundry lines across their balcony to dry clothes. I felt it started to look a little like a tenement house, especially when I saw someone hanging undergarments

I really hope you are joking.

You would think the cruise line would put a stop to this.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

The thing I found most interesting was when numerous people hung up laundry lines across their balcony to dry clothes. I felt it started to look a little like a tenement house, especially when I saw someone hanging undergarments

First it was jeans and ball caps and now laundry. It is absolutely incredible how many people try to control the actions of other cruisers. There are people on every cruise that dry out their clothes on the table or chairs on the balcony. How does this affect your cruise? Go and enjoy yourself and let the rest of us alone.

We have been on many cruise most with ocean view balconies.

Our cabin on the Oasis was 12323 Boardwalk Balcony.

It was wonderful. We could watch the Aqua Theater shows. There was a large public aft deck just 4 doors down from us that no one really used and was a great place to watch docking or the shows or just lay back and watch the ocean. We could also people watch on our balcony and see the ocean out the rear of the ship. We could watch as people zipped past us on the zipline.

Now to the point of this thread............

Although the boardwalk balconies are great for all the things I have said there is one issue that some may see as a drawback and others may see as an advantage.

It is very easy to see what people are doing in the boardwalk balcony cabins that are on the opposite side. Even with the sheer curtains closed you can see into the cabin, even with the light off, with the light on you can see people clearly. And if the curtains are completely open you can see everything that someone is doing.

I saw people taking a rest on the bed after taking off their swim suits. I saw romantic encounters. I saw arguments. I saw parents reading bedtime stories to their children. I saw people putting on makeup (and that was just the guys).

Now don't get me wrong, it was not like I was an intentional peeping tom. I was just laying on my bed, or sitting on the couch, or sitting on the balcony when I saw these things.

Has anyone else seen what I am talking about?

Now I think that RCCL should research this a little, perhaps they can have a reality show "What happens in the cabin" or perhaps they should consider putting privacy glass in the balcony windows or even privacy film so people can not see in. It would also help stop the sun shinning in and reduce energy usage.

What do you all think?

We had cabin 12321 on the Allure and our friends were in 12323. To be honest, I never really looked across the ship at the other cabins. I was always watching what was happening at the diving theater, Johnny Rockets , the zip line and the Merry-Go-Round. We did close the drapes when we were dressing. I only noticed the people sitting out on their balconies,but missed what was going on inside.

I would definitely stay in a boardwalk balcony again, because it offered a view of the sea as well as the boardwalk. IMHO, best of both worlds.

Glad you had a great cruise!

Nancy

Some of their older ships were set up so that from the pool deck when you looked up at the Viking Crown Lounge, you could see everyone Sitting at the bar along the outer edge of the glass ( including ladies in skirts) from the waist down very clearly! We started calling it the Viking crotch bar- still do;) even though they changed that design on the newer ships!:p So yes, they make changes!

I don't remember being able to see into anyone's cabin with the sheer closed and lights off, or lights on, but main curtain closed. You could see with the sheer and the lights on at night. Maybe it's different from above vs being on the Boardwalk?:confused:

Some people may have mistaken what I said about seeing through the curtains. I was referring to the thin sheer curtains and not the thick main curtains. But people don't always want to close the heavy curtains as they want the natural light to come in.

I would definitely book one of those cabins again, they were nice.

As for the washing lines......

I can see hanging up wet swim suits, we usually hang them over the backs of the chairs on the balcony, and because there is no guest laundry I can see that people may need to dry the odd larger article, for instance if they only bring one dress shirt and spill something on it. Now wouldn't it be something if someone strung up a real clothes line from a boardwalk cabin on one side to one on the other and hung washing across the boardwalk :-)

Based on some of the comments in this thread and a couple of the others that I have been in about baseball caps, washing lines and stiffing staff by not giving them tips, I am thinking about starting a cruising etiquette thread. I always thought that the passengers on RCCL looked for a little higher standard than lets say those that go on Carnival, but based on some of the comments I have seen I am beginning to wonder. Now don't get me wrong I sail both Carnival and RCCL and like both.

We have boarwalk balconies (the 3rd and 4th from the end) for our Allure cruise in April. Can't wait. The curtains will be drawn for pretty much the entire cruise. If anybody really wants to peer in that badly, well that's kind of creepy. I've heard some good things about these cabins and we're sticking with them.

<<<snip>>>

What do you all think?

This is fantastic idea!!! My brother is a professional installer of privacy film on windows, and would love to have a contract to do the ones on Oasis and Allure!!!

We use seasonal window wallpaper on our patio deck doors in the late fall to spring, when the leaves are down, to ensure privacy in our kitchen.

I like it and still lets the sun in.

Late spring and summer it easily peels off, throw it away and enjoy the view.

We live on a couple acres wooded lot, and the area behind our house is about 5oo yards deep. Behind that is a rarely traveled road........but we still like our privacy when the leaves are down so no one can see in the kitchen.

Safe Travels

Sue and crew

Based on some of the comments in this thread and a couple of the others that I have been in about baseball caps, washing lines and stiffing staff by not giving them tips, I am thinking about starting a cruising etiquette thread. I always thought that the passengers on RCCL looked for a little higher standard than lets say those that go on Carnival, but based on some of the comments I have seen I am beginning to wonder. Now don't get me wrong I sail both Carnival and RCCL and like both.

I'm not sure we need cruisers trying to establish etiquette. Based on some of the outdated views of many veteran cruisers, I would hate to see them set policy.

At the end of the day, RCCL will set acceptable policies based on business case decisions. History has shown that RCCL is smart enough to change with the times and will not stick to outdated polices. Those that don't like RCCL policies will shift to other lines or vacations.

Long live laundry on the balconies and ball caps. :D

Some people may have mistaken what I said about seeing through the curtains. I was referring to the thin sheer curtains and not the thick main curtains. But people don't always want to close the heavy curtains as they want the natural light to come in.

I would definitely book one of those cabins again, they were nice.

As for the washing lines......

I can see hanging up wet swim suits, we usually hang them over the backs of the chairs on the balcony, and because there is no guest laundry I can see that people may need to dry the odd larger article, for instance if they only bring one dress shirt and spill something on it. Now wouldn't it be something if someone strung up a real clothes line from a boardwalk cabin on one side to one on the other and hung washing across the boardwalk :-)

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know why people would not always keep the thick curtains drawn.

Nothing to do with cruising but you jogged my memory. I was delivering a 50' yacht to West Palm Beach, FL from Savannah, GA. It was around 8 or 9 in the morning when we were passing some condos with docks around Cocoa Beach. There was a gorgeous brunette standing in one of the second floor doorways to the balcony without a stitch of clothing on. She was serene and calmly watching us pass by until someone in the bed called out to her and she hurriedly wrapped her arms around what she could and sprinted for the bathroom. We couldn't hear what he said over our engines but I'm pretty sure it went something like, "You know they can see you too, right?":D

Archived