Privacy on Boardwalk Balconies

spg112357

The thing I found most interesting was when numerous people hung up laundry lines across their balcony to dry clothes. I felt it started to look a little like a tenement house, especially when I saw someone hanging undergarments

I really hope you are joking.

You would think the cruise line would put a stop to this.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

Unfortunately the OP is not joking....and yes, I agree...it can look like a tenement at times. People use these balcony's for all kinds of things....storage being the most common....lots of suite cases being stored on them...cloths of all kinds... people moving mattresses out at night and sleeping outdoors. I do think Royal needs to get a handle on some of this stuff as it isn't very attractive. I also have noticed that as of late the neighborhood balcony cabins have pretty much taken on interior pricing....they have now seem to become the last cabins sold. I do think there is worth to these cabins and some of those very aft Boardwalk balcony cabins have great views....but the view across the way of what others are sometimes doing and using their balcony's for has been less than attractive at times.

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately the OP is not joking....and yes, I agree...it can look like a tenement at times. People use these balcony's for all kinds of things....storage being the most common....lots of suite cases being stored on them...cloths of all kinds... people moving mattresses out at night and sleeping outdoors. I do think Royal needs to get a handle on some of this stuff as it isn't very attractive. I also have noticed that as of late the neighborhood balcony cabins have pretty much taken on interior pricing....they have now seem to become the last cabins sold. I do think there is worth to these cabins and some of those very aft Boardwalk balcony cabins have great views....but the view across the way of what others are sometimes doing and using their balcony's for has been less than attractive at times.[/quote

Sounds like a description of fire escapes on tenement buildings. We just booked three of these cabins on the Oasis for January... did we make a big mistake??

I am so happy I went with a family balcony verses 2 boardwalks after reading this thread. I was starting to think I made a bad decision because we will only have 1 bathroom.

I wouldn't mind having to keep the curtains closed while changing, but the clothes and suit cases all over the balconies would drive me crazy. One of the reasons I love my vacations is that I can escape the laundry for a week or two and I don't want any reminders of what I am escaping LOL.

Based on some of the comments in this thread and a couple of the others that I have been in about baseball caps, washing lines and stiffing staff by not giving them tips, I am thinking about starting a cruising etiquette thread. I always thought that the passengers on RCCL looked for a little higher standard than lets say those that go on Carnival, but based on some of the comments I have seen I am beginning to wonder. Now don't get me wrong I sail both Carnival and RCCL and like both.

I don’t know about Carnival as I have not sailed that line in over 20 years, but if cruisers are looking for some higher standard on RCCL, then based on recent threads, perhaps they will want to look elsewhere. Perhaps recent threads have either scared potential passengers away, or created many new customers.

However, on the flip side, please be reminded that these boards make up just a minuscule portion of cruisers on any line, so what someone writes here may not be the norm on the ship. Yes – apparently, one or two will wear a sport cap in the evening for dinner, but that is not the majority of passengers. Passengers may elect a “unique” standard of dress, but that is also not the majority of cruisers. The majority of cruisers will conform to the particular cruise lines suggestion for dress, behavior, alcohol consumption, smoking, etc. (I can’t address tipping as I have no idea what a person might give to the staff)

There are some that will simply do what they want, or do what will get them the most attention.

I would love to read an unbiased comparison of a typical cruise on the various mass-market lines.

M

Personally, I like natural light and do not like keeping my curtains closed during daytime at all. That is one reason I am glad I booked an oceanview balcony. The main reason I booked an OV balcony is so that I would have a nice seaview whenever I want as that is one of the main reasons I cruise.

I am careful while dressing in port. One day early in my cruising life I threw open my aft balcony curtains and could have shaken hands with crew members on the bow of the ship pulled in right behind ours!:eek: Fortunately I was wearing 'granny pajamas' but I hastily pulled the curtains shut and kept them that way until we were both fulley dressed.:rolleyes:

The thing I found most interesting was when numerous people hung up laundry lines across their balcony to dry clothes. I felt it started to look a little like a tenement house, especially when I saw someone hanging undergarments

This was addressed with a note to the room this past summer when we cruised. Cruisers were told not to do this due to a fire hazard and could incur a fine. Didn't stop the practice totally, but did curtail it somewhat.

Don't know if room stewards are told to remove items from balcony or tell cruisers. We had previously cruised in a Boardwalk cabin prior to this cruise and didn't use the balcony as a clothesline, so abiding with this request this time was no big deal.

I’ve only sailed the Oasis class once and did not notice any clothes lines, admittedly I was not looking for any. There was a photo someone had posted on these boards, of some undies drying on a patio table.

Many use their OV balconies to dry a swimsuit; it is just that no one could see it.

Boardwalks balconies also note, that there is a clear view from the Concierge lounge to most any Boardwalk balcony

Advice for anyone in a neighborhood balcony or promenade cabin - If you can see any other cabin or balcony, rest assured others can and will see you.

m

Now wouldn't it be something if someone strung up a real clothes line from a boardwalk cabin on one side to one on the other and hung washing across the boardwalk :-)

While inappropriate for the boardwalk, this would definitely be consistent with a central park theme:D

Just came off the Oasis of the Seas.

What a great great time we had.

We have been on many cruise most with ocean view balconies.

Our cabin on the Oasis was 12323 Boardwalk Balcony.

It was wonderful. We could watch the Aqua Theater shows. There was a large public aft deck just 4 doors down from us that no one really used and was a great place to watch docking or the shows or just lay back and watch the ocean. We could also people watch on our balcony and see the ocean out the rear of the ship. We could watch as people zipped past us on the zipline.

Now to the point of this thread............

Although the boardwalk balconies are great for all the things I have said there is one issue that some may see as a drawback and others may see as an advantage.

It is very easy to see what people are doing in the boardwalk balcony cabins that are on the opposite side. Even with the sheer curtains closed you can see into the cabin, even with the light off, with the light on you can see people clearly. And if the curtains are completely open you can see everything that someone is doing.

I saw people taking a rest on the bed after taking off their swim suits. I saw romantic encounters. I saw arguments. I saw parents reading bedtime stories to their children. I saw people putting on makeup (and that was just the guys).

Now don't get me wrong, it was not like I was an intentional peeping tom. I was just laying on my bed, or sitting on the couch, or sitting on the balcony when I saw these things.

Has anyone else seen what I am talking about?

Now I think that RCCL should research this a little, perhaps they can have a reality show "What happens in the cabin" or perhaps they should consider putting privacy glass in the balcony windows or even privacy film so people can not see in. It would also help stop the sun shinning in and reduce energy usage.

What do you all think?

We were in the same cabin on a previous date and also on another cruise in a CP balcony and you clearly had to be looking often to see what you saw. We certainly saw people on their balcony having coffee or drinks or watching the aqua shows; but we "noticed" them because of movement, we never "watched" and never looked long enough to focus on the inside of those cabins and don't feel anyone on the other side watched us. We enjoyed our Boardwalk balcony so much, we will only chose that the next time we cruise the Oasis class.

We were in the same cabin on a previous date and also on another cruise in a CP balcony and you clearly had to be looking often to see what you saw. We certainly saw people on their balcony having coffee or drinks or watching the aqua shows; but we "noticed" them because of movement, we never "watched" and never looked long enough to focus on the inside of those cabins and don't feel anyone on the other side watched us. We enjoyed our Boardwalk balcony so much, we will only chose that the next time we cruise the Oasis class.

We have the same cabin one deck lower on the Allure in six months. I won't be on my balcony focusing on others and I don't even do that when we're at restaurants with outdoor seating and are situated closer to others.

My one question for those who have had these cabins,especially those close to the Aft, is whether it feels as if you are outside or inside.

We have the same cabin one deck lower on the Allure in six months. I won't be on my balcony focusing on others and I don't even do that when we're at restaurants with outdoor seating and are situated closer to others.

My one question for those who have had these cabins,especially those close to the Aft, is whether it feels as if you are outside or inside.

I was one cabin from aft on deck twelve and felt like outside because I could see sky and ocean. And there was a breeze. Certainly if one looks down or fore, one sees balconies and/or boardwalk activities. I'd compare it to balcony in a hotel or condo complex...one sees other balconies and public areas but you are definitely outdoors on a boardwalk balcony. I have not yet been in a Central Park balcony. I suspect they feel less outdoorsy.

Unfortunately TE

Sounds like a description of fire escapes on tenement buildings. We just booked three of these cabins on the Oasis for January... did we make a big mistake??

Have booked a view of Central Park deck 12 on Oasis.....I feel now I also have made a mistake

Will just make the best of it :)

I think you will find the Boardwalk feels "outside", you will be able to see the ocean, you can also easily see the sky and weather as the BW is very wide. CP has more of an "interior" feel; several times I felt "surprised" that I could feel the rain out there because it feels so "inside", I was surprised the roof is actually open. CP feels narrower so you really have to look straight up to see the sky.

I didn't stay in the BW cabin, but we spent a lot of time just hanging out there, because it was one of our favorite places. I did look at the balconies to get a sense of what it would be like to stay there and I can't recall seeing more than a swim suit or towel or two out on a chair on maybe a few balconies all week long- so unless there was a particular cruise with lots of laundry- the effect on the BW is not one of a tenement building and I think the 'laundry issue" has been a little overstated. I also didn't see many people sitting there very often either. I had more of a feeling like I've had in other places where people have homes or rooms overlooking a very touristy area...sort of "wow, what a neat location!" No doubt people on the BW can see you on your balcony, but the plus side is that you get that amazing view of a really neat location!

Have booked a view of Central Park deck 12 on Oasis.....I feel now I also have made a mistake

Will just make the best of it :)

OK, so even though it feels narrower because of the enclosed ends, CP did not have a tenement feel to me either! It was more upscale apartment building courtyard. Again, never saw a ton of people out there ( a few people reading w glass of wine) and maybe because its less "open", there is less direct sun, therefore I saw even fewer swimsuits out in CP than BW, both were so few I can't even say it was more than 1 in 10 cabins, maybe 1 in 20 cabins? The only downside I've heard about 12 CP is the noise from the pool deck on 14 But that depends whether hearing the calypso band bothers you. I've also heard the enclosed area can get warm in the summer months.

Some people might prefer an ocean view balcony, but I can't imagine if the interior balcony is in your price range or interests you, that you wouldn't enjoy it more than an interior cabin!

When I was in a boardwalk balcony, I saw some drippy swimwear out on balcony chair backs for a limited amount of time (maybe while the shower was occupied). Maybe there were a few towels, too. But I did not witness any major laundry drying episodes.

We are guilty of drying bathing suits on balcony chairs on occasion, but I don't remember any major laundry hanging out over the balconies. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but if it did, I didn't notice it.

We had 2 BB cabins at the very aft end of Deck 11 and we loved the experience. It did have the feeling of outside and inside because of how much of the wake/ocean you still had when sitting on the balcony. I would book BB cabins again, but probably only if I could get either the furthest aft or at least very close to the last cabin.

Regarding the OP's initial comments about the peep shows across the way :), I'm glad she clarified that it's only a problem when people only pull the sheers and not the heavy drapes. Either way, I think that's common sense, but perhaps it is good reminder to put out there for those considering BB cabins.

We are guilty of drying bathing suits on balcony chairs on occasion, but I don't remember any major laundry hanging out over the balconies. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but if it did, I didn't notice it.

We had 2 BB cabins at the very aft end of Deck 11 and we loved the experience. It did have the feeling of outside and inside because of how much of the wake/ocean you still had when sitting on the balcony. I would book BB cabins again, but probably only if I could get either the furthest aft or at least very close to the last cabin.

Regarding the OP's initial comments about the peep shows across the way :), I'm glad she clarified that it's only a problem when people only pull the sheers and not the heavy drapes. Either way, I think that's common sense, but perhaps it is good reminder to put out there for those considering BB cabins.

We have the third and fourth from the end on deck 11 (11323 & 11325). So, we're pretty close.

For what it's worth, we always dry off bathing suits on the backs of chairs on our balconies. I am not going to stop doing that just because others can see my balcony.

I'm sure many pax feel that if they have a balcony with chairs that they should be able to use those chairs to dry their bathing suits and assorted laundry items.

Thus the "tenement" look.

Wonder if RCI had that in mind when they designed those ships?:p At least if the balconies are inside they won't have to worry about assorted undies blowing over board?

Doesn't the Allure have the laundry line in the shower from which to hang wet bathing suits? Every ship, RCCL or otherwise, I've been on has had that "amenity." Will be on Allure in Feb. and expect to find it.

Doesn't the Allure have the laundry line in the shower from which to hang wet bathing suits? Every ship, RCCL or otherwise, I've been on has had that "amenity." Will be on Allure in Feb. and expect to find it.

I can't say specifically for Allure, as I wasn't on her yet and those little details vary from ship to ship, but most RCL ships have them, but the showers are so teeny, you can only fit one, maybe two suits on the line:p If you have 3-4 pax in a cabin, no way can you fit them all on the line. ( The suits, not the pax;)) On Oasis there were plenty of hooks in the bathroom and cabin, so you can hang things there too if they are not dripping wet.

We were in the same cabin on a previous date and also on another cruise in a CP balcony and you clearly had to be looking often to see what you saw. We certainly saw people on their balcony having coffee or drinks or watching the aqua shows; but we "noticed" them because of movement, we never "watched" and never looked long enough to focus on the inside of those cabins and don't feel anyone on the other side watched us. .
I had the last boardwalk balcony on deck 12 and agree with you 100%.

Yes, you definitely feel as if you are outside.

OK, so even though it feels narrower because of the enclosed ends, CP did not have a tenement feel to me either! It was more upscale apartment building courtyard. Again, never saw a ton of people out there ( a few people reading w glass of wine) and maybe because its less "open", there is less direct sun, therefore I saw even fewer swimsuits out in CP than BW, both were so few I can't even say it was more than 1 in 10 cabins, maybe 1 in 20 cabins? The only downside I've heard about 12 CP is the noise from the pool deck on 14 But that depends whether hearing the calypso band bothers you. I've also heard the enclosed area can get warm in the summer months.

Some people might prefer an ocean view balcony, but I can't imagine if the interior balcony is in your price range or interests you, that you wouldn't enjoy it more than an interior cabin!

Thanks : I think maybe boardwalk would have been better. But it's all booked now, the calypso band I could do without

But our apartment at home has an ocean view,so you can appreciate the idea of looking out at Central Park was very exciting .

I am so looking forward to seeing Oasis:)

I'm chucking here because anyone who was involved with a certain thread a while ago and pictures were posted,[ and deleted ] of what a certain person was doing on the balcony!!!:eek: Beware of those with zoom photgraphy lenses!!:eek:;)

Get your heads out of the gutter-it was a smoking thread!!!:p

Archived