Travel insurance - worth it ?

cruisymum

Hi, looking for some advice. We are on Carnival Spirit to New Calendonia in October. Travelling with hubby and (4) kids, haven't taken out travel insurance yet. Just wondering if we should bother. I've heard of a family locally who took out insurance online, their son died tragically in an accident whilst away, and they found out their policy didn't cover the costs they incurred bringing him home as he was a child?

I figure the policy will cost me about $280.00 ish, around (1) visit to onboard medical centre if required. Iv'e stocked up on Panadol, antihistamine, swimmers ear stuff, sea sick pills etc so hopefully won't need to go.

Does it cover you if your'e stupid enough to miss getting back on board at port and have to fly home ? Not too worried about luggage lost etc and no flights are involved. Can any one recommend a company , expecially if they have had to claim and it was all good.. cheers !:)

Hi, looking for some advice. We are on Carnival Spirit to New Calendonia in October. Travelling with hubby and (4) kids, haven't taken out travel insurance yet. Just wondering if we should bother. I've heard of a family locally who took out insurance online, their son died tragically in an accident whilst away, and they found out their policy didn't cover the costs they incurred bringing him home as he was a child?

I figure the policy will cost me about $280.00 ish, around (1) visit to onboard medical centre if required. Iv'e stocked up on Panadol, antihistamine, swimmers ear stuff, sea sick pills etc so hopefully won't need to go.

Does it cover you if your'e stupid enough to miss getting back on board at port and have to fly home ? Not too worried about luggage lost etc and no flights are involved. Can any one recommend a company , expecially if they have had to claim and it was all good.. cheers !:)

you should never leave home without insurance, even if it cost $280 its peace of mind, i dont know why the person couldnt bring the child home but you would have to talk to the insurance company about things like that.....we use our gold credit card for insurance but we have never had to make a claim

the only time you would be covered for insurance if you missed the ship whilst on land if someone was taken to hospital and you had to be flown home

I'm for it too, never leave home with insurance. Its just the little things like, emergency ops before the cruise, and that means you cant go. Lost baggage, etc. I was on a cruise in June, there was 1 death, 1 broken hip, 3 broken limbs and that was all I heard about. Also food poisoning, and had to be flown home. I wont go anywhere without it, just my thoughts. :)

I remember reading of that incident on the coast, but was sure there was more to the story than just insurance denial....but I can't remember exactly what (was it that the adults were covered but not the children???)....just remember to read the policy fully before purchase.

You are crazy to travel overseas without insurance, absolutely insane not to get it.

My DH has had minor medical onboard twice now. The last time was when he got a piece of urchin stuck in his heel. Was a nightmare, so swollen, so painful that night, but the fabulous ship doctors took 2 seconds to remove it the next day. He needed antibiotics as well as it had become quickly infected. It did cost us a couple of hundred dollars for this (payment is upfront), but the insurance covered every cent. Another time he had a terrible headache and chest pains....turned out to be a simple migraine and stress (cos he stressed re going to the onboard doc...doh!!) This cost a couple of hundred dollars for the consult and medication. Again, he was 'cured' almost instantly....and again insurance paid fully and quickly. We have used different online insurance ompanies.....google and find out which one is best for you....all this can be researched and quoted online.

I cannot stress enough.....DO NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT INSURANCE.

Jen

You are not covered by Medicare or private health insurance from the moment you step on that ship to the moment you get off back in Australia. Even silly accidents like slips or falls and a broken bone, even in port, incur huge costs for a hospital visit, a lot more than the $280. Not that I would wish a broken bone on anyone, but with 4 kids........well, kids will be kids!

There would be more to the story about the claim that they wouldn't bring the deceased child home (RIP :() including age (many people think that their working/18+ adult kids are covered under their family policy if they kids still live at home when they are not - read the fine print!), etc), the activity involved that killed him, whether alcohol/drugs were involved, non-disclosed pre-existing conditions and so forth.

The old travel adage, if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel.

The old travel adage, if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel.

Hear! Hear! I almost can't believe that anyone would consider not taking out travel insurance.

An acquaintance of ours bought her DH a trip to the Rugby in HongKong - and forgot all about insurance. He became very ill and it cost them thousands for treatment and hospitalisation.

As Debsta points out, Medicare does not cover any of the ship's doctor's fees if needed. (Although I had one case to call the doctor on a Silversea cruise which was free because there was a Noro outbreak).

Have we scared you into buying it yet? :D

What about if there is an emergency appendicitis attack?

Do you know how much it costs to be airlifted off a ship if they are nowhere near port and the patient can't wait for treatment? Tens of thousands? The doctors onboard can only do so much.

Seasick pills don't work? Chunder injections required at the medical centre x everyone?

Before you go? I'l be a bit less in your face with this one........let's take a common garden variety illness - chicken pox - would you leave the one child at home whilst you all travelled? Would half of you go and the other half stayed? Still cancellation costs there.

Scared yet? :D

I once spent 4 days in the ship's hospital, all covered by insurance luckily and not caused by the cruise itself - just a coincidence of timing - so I saw "backstage". It was a smooth sailing but there was still a steady trickle of people with strains, sprains and one child with a broken leg - none of them caused by being on a ship just being on holiday with a pool and not paying attention - adults AND children. The care is excellent and it is worth the insurance cost to be able to attend the clinic with peace of mind when it comes to the bill and repeat visits for treatment if it is needed. Shop around and as Debsta says check the fine print and ask questions about the cover.

We were on a cruise a few years ago on the Dawn Princess and a young kid fell near the pool (Had been told numerous times not to run) fractured his leg, ship had to divert to an island so that medical team could come out to the boat to collect him and his father, then a jet was required to fly the kid back to Oz. I don't know if they had insurance, but that would amount to quite an expensive holiday if they didn't. I think insurance should be compulsory for all OS travellers.

Travel insurance for our cruise last month was $155 for 2 adults & 2 kids for 12 days including an extra amount to remove the excess.

We all ended up with varying degrees of gastro and took my youngest to the medical centre as he has a history of getting very quickly dehydrated and needing IV fluids so just wanted him checked out. Cost for one quick visit was $119 which included some children's Panadol (we had kid's tablets but he didn't like them so had to get liquid). Took me all of 6 minutes when we returned home to call up and lodge the claim and the reimbursement appeared in my bank account a few days later.

As well as not being covered by Medicare, any medications are not subsidised by the PBS either so you're paying FULL price for anything like antibiotics.

It doesn't matter how fit and healthy you are, accidents can happen anywhere and at any time. All it takes is for another child to run into and knock over one of your kids and you can quickly be dealing with a broken wrist or ankle.

No one ever plans to use their insurance but for us the financial risks while cruising are too great to self-insure and the cost so small for the peace of mind.

I agree to pay the insurance. When we were on the Sun Princess all 4 in our family had to see the doctor for the flu and also get antibiotics with follow up appointments. The total was $2,400. Our insurance paid it within a week of returning home which was great.

Do you have a platinum credit cards with any of the banks If you pay 80% of your costs with this card you will get insurance cover

Hear! Hear! I almost can't believe that anyone would consider not taking out travel insurance.

An acquaintance of ours bought her DH a trip to the Rugby in HongKong - and forgot all about insurance. He became very ill and it cost them thousands for treatment and hospitalisation.

As Debsta points out, Medicare does not cover any of the ship's doctor's fees if needed. (Although I had one case to call the doctor on a Silversea cruise which was free because there was a Noro outbreak).

And then people expect the govt to pay for them to be brought back to Australia.

Travel insurance is essential just like having a passport. I got sick in America nearly 20 years ago and the antibotics then cost approx $150. A lot of people tend to get sick when they travel.

Thanks for all the advice, actually a bit paranoid now, we will be the family dressed in padded sumo suits to avoid cuts, broken bones, sunburn etc and at night I'm bungy- cording the kids in bed in case they fall out in a rough swell and hit their heads. LOL ;) No seriously, I appreciate the advice ,don't know why I thought we had suddenly become the invincible family and we will DEFINATELY be getting cover. I have been shopping around and noticed you really need to read the policys and compare as they all differ in what they offer. Finding it hard to find something that actually covers kids for the same as adults, alot seem to say eg: adult death $20k child $1k, or unlimited medical/emergency dental per adult- no mention for kids, even when I have put their ages etc in quote request. So It seems iv'e got a fair bit more research to do, perhaps thats why I was trying to avoid it - so time consuming, but I know nowit's worth it ....just in case. Thanks again for the convincing.:D

Very interesting thread.

I have travelled all over the world, and never taken travel insurance before, but I have never been on a cruise before.

I will most certainly be taking out travel insurance this time.

And as has been said, it is a very small amount to pay in the grand scheme of things.

I would be talking to your TA - sometimes they can help with the travel insurance - I was having problems getting it a few years ago because of a pre existing illness & treatment. The TA was great but I had put the proviso on the trip - if no insurance - no trip and I am sure they wanted the business so they talked to the insurance company prior to me applying and - yes I got insurance which cost me but I did get it.

Now I just have a quick look at prices but end up back with the company who took a risk with me and still getting my travel insurance.

I cannot believe that anyone would be foolish or to be bolder stupid enough to travel without adequate travel insurance. Apart from what might happen to you overseas, it is what might happen to you before you go. In March, 2011, 10 days before we were due to depart Australia for South America for a 30 day cruise on Star Princess Rio to San Francisco, plus some land travel, I had to cancel because Coeliac Disease hit me real hard.

After 3 months and a couple of Doctors reports, the travel insurance company Budget Direct (Mondial) paid out every dollar, $17,000 in all - airfares, cruise, hotels, trains, even the cost of visas we had to get to enter Brazil.

There are loads of case histories like mine. The old saying 'If you cannot afford Travel Insurance, you cannot afford to travel,' is 100% correct. Trust me.

I have been reading this thread, just wondering about my decision not to take out insurance for our 2night mini cruise next month.:confused:

In the past my insurance cover has been provided courtesy of the Australian Cricket Insurance program, but now I have retired I have to do my own thing.

On reflection, I realised that I was being foolish (and perhaps selfish if I consider Shirley in the equation) :o. I have now done some policy surfing and come up with a good cover for us both for $62. That about half what we would have to pay for just one visit to the sick bay !

I have some re-adjusting to do with my life, especially as I have lost quite a few perks I had whilst working in the BS arena of Cricket.

cheers

Flipper both you and your wife will have some adjustments to make with retirement but your on the right track at least going for a cruise.

I have now been retired for several years due to illness but oh I have so much more in life now work doesn't get in the way.

Yep I usually get an annual cover but for me that starts in January 2013 as I did not expect to be travelling until then and had a small break in my cover. So I booked the same 2 nighter as Flipper and just got a separate cover for that. Cost me $38-95 for 2 adults.

Not only is it wise to have insurance for the accidents etc but also for delays. We were late getting back in on our last cruise, missed our flights, had to stay overnight and with meals and cabs had just over $1000 extra expenses that were covered totally by the Insurance company.

I agree if you can't afford insurance you can't afford to go.

I have been reading this thread, just wondering about my decision not to take out insurance for our 2night mini cruise next month.:confused:

In the past my insurance cover has been provided courtesy of the Australian Cricket Insurance program, but now I have retired I have to do my own thing.

On reflection, I realised that I was being foolish (and perhaps selfish if I consider Shirley in the equation) :o. I have now done some policy surfing and come up with a good cover for us both for $62. That about half what we would have to pay for just one visit to the sick bay !

I have some re-adjusting to do with my life, especially as I have lost quite a few perks I had whilst working in the BS arena of Cricket.

cheers

Hi again Flipper, long time no speak, might I take this opportunity wish you and Shirley, a long and happy retirement. Don't believe what people tell you like 'You don't need as much income in retirement.' Well you you do if you are a traveller. I retired at 55, 9 years ago, been travelling ever since, spent a lot but enjoyed it all.

I bet you miss that company car mate.

Enjoy !

Archived