Travel insurance - worth it ?

cruisymum

Its the same in Australia and NZ. If the medical people know that an Insurance Co, or the Govt will pay, they ramp up the charges.

Australia and New Zealand have an agreement, we treat each others citizens in Public Hospitals for free. Likewise U.K.

Yes, you must contact them if a serious medical emergency arises as they will case manage any hospitals required.

The son of a friend of ours was in the USA and twisted his knee while doing something not particularly energetic. Casual basketball maybe. Went to hospital and had cat scans etc. was bandaged up with some pain killers and was on his way. Maybe six or so ours in emergency. His parents received the bill at home in Oz as he was about to come home. His mother who is in the medical profession just about died. It was over $10,000! He was insured and it was all covered but I reckon as soon as the hospitals know that (and they won't treat foreigners without insurance) then they ramp up the costs.

In Canada, we had to make payment by credit card at the hospital before I was even allowed to join the queue to be examined! Travel insurance did reimburse us later - we had phoned them before even going to the hospital.

This has been a very interesting thread to read. While I agree that travel insurance is a must and have always taken it out when I travel, reading and understanding the fine print particularly in relation to pre-existing conditions can be a nightmare.

I am in the older age bracket (over 65) and have some problems but quite managable if I look after myself. Even my cardiologist recognises that aspect. Recently I took out a Covermore policy which gave me a degree of comfort. Yes they asked me numerous questions about my condition which I answered honestly. They then added about $65 to the premium but I was happy with it as it gave me a degree of comfort having been upfront with them.

But my experience is that interpreting the pre-existing conditions aspect of all the policies is really difficult.:)

What type of insurance should I get if I was doing a domestic cruise? I rang an insurance company and the rep told me I needed to get one for the Pacific, since the ship sails along the coast rather that inland.

No such thing as a domestic cruise. As you step through the terminal you are international. So yes Aust is in the South Pacific region.

Have a great trip.

R

No such thing as a domestic cruise. As you step through the terminal you are international. So yes Aust is in the South Pacific region.

Have a great trip.

R

But it would be a domestic cruise if, for example, you are doing the Murray River cruise for a few days, which does not involve leaving from a coastal port.

But it would be a domestic cruise if, for example, you are doing the Murray River cruise for a few days, which does not involve leaving from a coastal port.

It may be a domestic cruise, but I am sure the taxpayers of Australia do not look on the medical services on board a luxury cruise ship as something they should subsidise.

Any medical treatment on board IS costly and they require payment up front.

G'day FYI

mens and womens Probus clubs have travel insurance for $249 W/W Or $99 for NZ travel I have used it & I have pre ex you just need a letter from doctor saying he believes you are fit to travel.

Just google Probus clubs sth Pacific

Regards Bob

Of course that is true of a river trip, but I do believe the OP was asking about travel insurance for cruising.

• 1 month later...

on my first cruise 2 years ago, paid about $100.00 for insurance with vero insurance, giving them a plug here. I lost my solid gold bracelet with diamond heart either on of off board. Rang them when I got home and they were terrific. No arguments and I got an exact replacement. Will be taking them again when I go in June.

My annual policy expired on the day I arrived home from my last cruise 2 weeks ago. My next cruise is at Easter so I am looking at renewing, I have a preexisting heart condition and have a stent. Last time I found that Cover more were the best, they gave me unlimited medical worldwide including USA for $160 extra for a maximum trip of 45 days.

They have streamlined their Pre Ex Med forms to an online survey which is emailed to you or you can call and get approval over the phone. I rang them yesterday and they will cover me again, since I don't plan on any land trips to the US this year I can go for a cheaper option. I will be booking and paying for the policy through my TA as their version includes better coverage

Sent from my AMID-972XS using Tapatalk 2

All forms of Insurance aren't really meant to refund smallish reimbursements of costs incurred to us -- they are mostly meant to protect us against MAJOR disaster. At least, that is my opinion. Although it is nice to be able to receive these small compensations - the effect of NOT having insurance against MAJOR happenings could well be enormous, and life breaking. Hence house and content insurance is a MUST -- not to reimburse you for when the garden furniture gets stolen -- but for when the place gets burnt to the ground. The same principle applies to travel insurance.

Barry

Archived