Florence- Is it safe?

MERLOTCHAMPAGNE

We're going to do some per cruise days in Florence prior to our cruise out of Venice in October Is it safe to walk around in the evening in the Accademia and Piazza San Marco areas after dinner back to our hotel or should we take a cab? What about near Ponte Vecchio back up to our hotel in the Duomo area?

One of the neatest things about Italy is how all the locals come out in the evening/night and stroll. Many have children in tow, some on scooters or bikes and of course strollers....... sometimes they head for the gelato shop..... sometimes they just socialize in the piazzas. This is also one of my favorite things to do while there too. I will say if you are out late, stick to the main roads and not alleys.

We have walked all over Florence, late at night, and often strolled back to our hotel (Hotel David) which is located at some distance from the center. That is a neat walk since its right along the river. As to safety, we always felt fine at night but you should always keep in mind that Florence is like any big city in that it does have some street crime. Common sense goes a long way after dark and its always smart to avoid dark areas that appear to be desserted. Also keep in mind that like most tourist areas in Europe there are always pickpockets....so make sure your valuables are appropriately safeguarded.

Hank

Sounds wonderful - as we are frequent visitors to NYC, we're consider ourselves "street smart" and take the usual precautions but were concerned if the street crime was at the Barcelona level. As long as it's the typical big city and we stay in populated areas, it sounds like we'll be great!

Can't wait to experience Florence as we've been explored Rome & Venice and loved it!

Thanks for the input!

You used the right words.

We also were originally from New York and I just always tell people wherever you go be street smart. In other words, no your surroundings and stay alert whether in NYC, London or any city around the world. Yes, some are a bit safer than others but crime can happen just about anywhere.

Keith

Agree with Keith and others that "street smarts" is always important in all places, but, overall, Florence is reasonably safe. It is great that you will have time there in the evening to enjoy and experience this historic and charming city. Below are a few of my visual "previews" to get you excited about you upcoming visit.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 104,126 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Across the Arno River is the famed Ponte Vecchio ("Old Bridge"). It is a Medieval bridge dating to its construction in 1345. It is noted for having shops built along it, as was once common. Butchers initially occupied the shops. The present tenants are jewelers, art dealers and souvenir sellers. It has been described as Europe's oldest wholly-stone, closed-spandrel segmental arch bridge.:

FlorenceBridgesRiver.jpg

Florence’s Duomo or Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore was begun in 1296 in the Gothic style and completed structurally in 1436 with the famed dome engineered by Filippo Brunelleschi. The exterior is faced with polychrome marble panels in various shades of green and pink bordered by white. The cathedral complex includes the Baptistery and Campanile. The three buildings are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. The basilica is one of Italy's largest churches and until the modern era, the dome was the largest in the world. It remains the largest brick dome ever constructed.:

FlorenceRoofsDuomoCath.jpg

FlorenceCathAtNightVertical.jpg

Overlooking Florence's Piazza della Signoria, this picture shows some of the art around Palazzo Vecchio.

FlorenceCityBldgCornerTower.jpg

As an ex New Yorker (was born in the city), frequent visitor, and place where our daughter lives and works, we are often mildly distressed when folks talk about NYC regarding safety. So let us clear the air. NYC is the safest city (with population over 250,000) in the United States when it comes to violent crime. Try comparing European cities to wonderful US cities such as Detroit, Cleveland, LA, etc. :)

Hank

Hank, I agree. Today, NYC is much different than when it had a lot of problems. Of course like all cities it still has its problem areas but the major business and tourist areas are indeed not only safe but the safest of most major cities around the world.

But, it wasn't like that before things got cleaned up and that is at time that many of us got our lessons about being "street smart". :D

I remember Times Square after dark even in the early to mid-1990's and fast forward to today and what a difference.:eek:

New York, New York it's a helluva town.

Keith

As an ex New Yorker (was born in the city), frequent visitor, and place where our daughter lives and works, we are often mildly distressed when folks talk about NYC regarding safety. So let us clear the air. NYC is the safest city (with population over 250,000) in the United States when it comes to violent crime. Try comparing European cities to wonderful US cities such as Detroit, Cleveland, LA, etc. :)

Hank

Thanks, Hank. I lived in Manhattan for 11 years and visit my son there frequently, and do not worry about my safety.

Pickpocketing is the biggest concern for tourists in these major cities of Europe, and by not carrying a purse or pocketbook but rather using a bra stash or moneybelt, I have no worries. Texancruzer's point is well taken: there is so much vibrant outdoor life in Florence in the evenings, very well-lit, and so many pedestrian-only zones, that it is a real pleasure to stroll there in the evenings, a truly popular pre- and post-dinner activity.

Barcelona and Athens seem to get the most bad press for pickpocketing on tourist websites. Spouse claims that the further south you travel in Europe, the more you need to be concerned about this problem. Having spent time in Scandinavia last summer, anecdotal evidence seems to back him up, but I wonder what the statistics truly show.

Hank

I wholeheartedly agree.... I worked in the city until mid 90's and what a transformation it's been. People who worry about coming to NYC should really worry about other US cities.

My actual concern about Florence was whether the level of street crime was at the Barcelona level and you've all put my mind at ease....

Agree with Keith and others that "street smarts" is always important in all places, but, overall, Florence is reasonably safe. It is great that you will have time there in the evening to enjoy and experience this historic and charming city. Below are a few of my visual "previews" to get you excited about you upcoming visit.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 104,126 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Across the Arno River is the famed Ponte Vecchio ("Old Bridge"). It is a Medieval bridge dating to its construction in 1345. It is noted for having shops built along it, as was once common. Butchers initially occupied the shops. The present tenants are jewelers, art dealers and souvenir sellers. It has been described as Europe's oldest wholly-stone, closed-spandrel segmental arch bridge.:

FlorenceBridgesRiver.jpg

Florence’s Duomo or Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore was begun in 1296 in the Gothic style and completed structurally in 1436 with the famed dome engineered by Filippo Brunelleschi. The exterior is faced with polychrome marble panels in various shades of green and pink bordered by white. The cathedral complex includes the Baptistery and Campanile. The three buildings are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. The basilica is one of Italy's largest churches and until the modern era, the dome was the largest in the world. It remains the largest brick dome ever constructed.:

FlorenceRoofsDuomoCath.jpg

FlorenceCathAtNightVertical.jpg

Overlooking Florence's Piazza della Signoria, this picture shows some of the art around Palazzo Vecchio.

FlorenceCityBldgCornerTower.jpg

Thanks so much for posting! I have admired your photos and yes these do raise the excitement level for us. I only wish our photos would remotely compare to yours. :)

Florence is probably the least threatening city in Italy. Florence is a sophisticated place IMO. I wouldn't worry about walking anywhere. Pickpocketing is no where near the level of Barcelona or Rome. Along the Ponte Vecchio- you are more apt to be hassled to buy things and it can get pretty busy there (so watch belongings) but honestly Florence is "safe".

Archived