Flight to/from Tahiti with Oceania

sammyboots

Aloha Centsable -

In case you still wish to know, the flight in question should be Hawaiian Airlines flight 482, departing Papeete (PPT) at 12:30 a.m. on April 7th and arriving in Honolulu (HNL) at 6:15 a.m. The current ticket price on Hawaiian's website shows $717.80 for economy class. We have taken that flight and it wasn't bad.

Aloha Centsable -

In case you still wish to know, the flight in question should be Hawaiian Airlines flight 482, departing Papeete (PPT) at 12:30 a.m. on April 7th and arriving in Honolulu (HNL) at 6:15 a.m. The current ticket price on Hawaiian's website shows $717.80 for economy class. We have taken that flight and it wasn't bad.

Woops... its $75 more to fly from Honolulu to an outlying island

We plan on spending an extra two nights before we fly back. Why hurry back if you don't have too! And the flights on Air Tahiti Nui work out just great for us.

Seriously, we'd love to! The difficulty for us is trying to get the time off as my husband is in the airforce. We've already had to cancel one cruise for this November as leave is too tight! :eek:

Still have Marina and the South Pacific to look forward to, we'll have to make the most of the time we have there. We feel we're fortunate to have the opportunity at all :)

Guess I am at bit of a loss, as if one is not staying longer or wishing to get in a day or two earlier why not leave the flight to O? They are then responsible to ensure you make the ship and the return flight. A few extra hours in a airport saves dollars and stress...unless I am wrong. I have requested from O the most direct flight possible from Toronto. They have been a class act company to date so I am willing to leave it in their hands.

Bob

Yes I agree with you there. We've taken O's flights in the past and they worked out okay.

After arranging our own air in the past and being stuck in Barcelona after a cruise because of the volcanic ash cloud, we're a little more wary of booking our own flights!

O took very good care of their passengers that had booked flights with them...and in fact, took pretty good care of those of us that hadn't in so far as providing information for us, lists of hotels etc.

We weren't considering arranging our own flights this time, just trying to figure out what happens when these flights to Papeete tend to arrive early/leave very late in the day with regard to embarkation and disembarkation...guess we'll find out soon enough ;)

Guess I am at bit of a loss, as if one is not staying longer or wishing to get in a day or two earlier why not leave the flight to O? They are then responsible to ensure you make the ship and the return flight. A few extra hours in a airport saves dollars and stress...unless I am wrong. I have requested from O the most direct flight possible from Toronto. They have been a class act company to date so I am willing to leave it in their hands.

Bob

If you have requested the most direct flight, you are making an air deviation. At least that is my understanding. I was concerned about that exact issue - having to hopscotch across the country rather than direct flights. I have read on CC though that Oceania is pretty good in getting reasonable flights. However I read a compelling description of why you want to pay for air deviation - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

Actually it was my O rep that said she did the request for most direct. No extra charge to me. I noted I would leave it all in their ( O 's ) hands. Dealing with Oceania direct has been one of the best Customer Service experiences I can recall...now with that said we are not on the ship yet ( lol ).

Bob

Actually it was my O rep that said she did the request for most direct. No extra charge to me. I noted I would leave it all in their ( O 's ) hands. Dealing with Oceania direct has been one of the best Customer Service experiences I can recall...now with that said we are not on the ship yet ( lol ).

Bob

Bob, is this a flight to Papeete? If so, I would strongly urge you to get there a day in advance, if you possibly can. Or even spend the night in L.A. to break the trip. It's a long way (I've done it 4 times from Toronto.) You will be exhausted when you board the ship. Not sure if Oceania offers any decent pre-cruise stays, however. I see Bora Bora listed, at horrendous prices. So you might have to roll your own hotel stay. I can be done.

The flight from Toronto will go nonstop to LAX where the only Tahiti flights originate. Its about 4 hours to LAX and then 8.5 hours..12.5 hours . It will be 6 hours of time, of daylight saving then 5 hours for the trip not like me going to Europe..10 hour diff The real ripper in air travel is the time zone change rather than the flight time.

That may seem long, however you need to consider that most of it will be done in daylight and not that taxing.. I fly London to Hawaii 11 hours +5.5 annualy. Flying 16.5 hours in a day. with a 10 hour time change.

Your only going 12.5 hours with a 5 hour time change Arriving at either 10pm or 5 am... the 5 am will be harder because of the night.

The best reason for crusing in Tahiti is the huge saving in room and food.

Its easy to drop $700 a day without even thinkng in a regular hotel and $1200 a day at a lux place with an over water room.

Arriving earily and or staying late a few days can cost as much as your cruise. Thus, in my opinion, getting to the ship as fast as possible is a huge savings.

The flight from Toronto will go nonstop to LAX where the only Tahiti flights originate. Its about 4 hours to LAX and then 8.5 hours..12.5 hours . It will be 6 hours of time, of daylight saving then 5 hours for the trip not like me going to Europe..10 hour diff The real ripper in air travel is the time zone change rather than the flight time.

That may seem long, however you need to consider that most of it will be done in daylight and not that taxing.. I fly London to Hawaii 11 hours +5.5 annualy. Flying 16.5 hours in a day. with a 10 hour time change.

Your only going 12.5 hours with a 5 hour time change Arriving at either 10pm or 5 am... the 5 am will be harder because of the night.

The best reason for crusing in Tahiti is the huge saving in room and food.

Its easy to drop $700 a day without even thinkng in a regular hotel and $1200 a day at a lux place with an over water room.

Arriving earily and or staying late a few days can cost as much as your cruise. Thus, in my opinion, getting to the ship as fast as possible is a huge savings.

Hawaiidan...I am also going to Papeete from Toronto on the same cruise. I am wondering how you know for sure the Toronto to LAX flight will be non-stop. Another poster said Oceania was going to send him from Toronto to Minneapolis then LAX. Then non-stop to Papeete. Just wondering if you have a source at Oceania?

Yes from Toronto, but I am sure there will be a stop or two. Once we see what is offered ( told 75 days from sail ) consideration to what you mention maybe in order. Appreciate your insight.

Bob

Don't assume there will be more than one stop. When I first started flying that route in 2000 to do the Paul Gauguin, RSSC (then Radisson) put us up overnight in L.A. (what they called a "forced overnight"). That was great, but they stopped doing that some time ago, and I doubt Oceania does it either. We've never spent less than one night in Tahiti beforehand. Hope things work out for you.

Hawaiidan...I am also going to Papeete from Toronto on the same cruise. I am wondering how you know for sure the Toronto to LAX flight will be non-stop. Another poster said Oceania was going to send him from Toronto to Minneapolis then LAX. Then non-stop to Papeete. Just wondering if you have a source at Oceania?

I suspect that he just means there's plenty of flights from Toronto to LAX that are non-stop, so no reason to think otherwise. Last time we flew that route, we went straight through, with several hours layover in LAX.

Woops... its $75 more to fly from Honolulu to an outlying island

O must have some sort of charter for those leaving the night of April 7th as Hawaiian has no flight. I checked on the fares as we need to get to cruise from Edmonton and you gave me idea so yes we can go round trip +companion good price $1302 with tax CDN for 2, but we would have to leave at midnight April 7th and take Hawaiian to HNL for 6:15 am and out at 940 Pm Monday night OK with me. Hawaiian HNL to SYD PPT- HNL $ 1968 for two. We should get a $1250 = $199 air credit each which totals $2900 and this would cost $$3300 so about $00-$500 more as long as I can co-ordinate the flight.

HEY Hawaiindan your idea just might work for us and a day in Honolulu would be great! We have 10 days in Lahaina at the end of November!

Thanks again.

So I guess we DONT see Tahiti but if prices are high, we aren't missing much?? :)

O must have some sort of charter for those leaving the night of April 7th as Hawaiian has no flight. I checked on the fares as we need to get to cruise from Edmonton and you gave me idea so yes we can go round trip +companion good price $1302 with tax CDN for 2, but we would have to leave at midnight April 7th and take Hawaiian to HNL for 6:15 am and out at 940 Pm Monday night OK with me. Hawaiian HNL to SYD PPT- HNL $ 1968 for two. We should get a $1250 = $199 air credit each which totals $2900 and this would cost $$3300 so about $00-$500 more as long as I can co-ordinate the flight.

HEY Hawaiindan your idea just might work for us and a day in Honolulu would be great! We have 10 days in Lahaina at the end of November!

Thanks again.

So I guess we DONT see Tahiti but if prices are high, we aren't missing much?? :)

I just punched up Hawaiian departure from PPT to Honolulu...its departing at 12:30 am ( 00:30 on the morning of April 7 the 1 way fare is $778, business is $1333. for the 5.5 hour flight arriving at 0615 HST no time change, in Honolulu. It is their regular weekly flight !

saturday from Honolulu to Tahiti, gets in at about 10:30 turn the plane around and now its sunday morning! and back to Honolulu ! There are however flights at 0900 to Alberta through Seattle if on Alaska with a change in Seattle

I would break my trip for 2 days inorder the get a tuesday return fare schedule to Canada

The advantage is that you break the trip in half and have a nice time

I reccomend the Marriott hotel at Ko Oolina as opposed to " down town" Honolulu, which Toronto with pineapples... not very hawaiian

As to non stop to LAX, that is my assumption as there are a pooh load of nonstops Air Canada, American United, to LAX Maybe a quick connection in Chicago... but the odds are against that. But, no I didnt call Oceania.

Passengers leaving on the evening of April 7 will be on a Tahiti Nui regular schedule to LAX. 9 hours Then, face LAX customs and a change.

They have improved customs in LAX, but as Canadians you are in a bigger line with the "lot of humanity"

I would much rather go through Honolulu which has a much much smaller arrival from overseas.

Passengers leaving on the evening of April 7 will be on a Tahiti Nui regular schedule to LAX. 9 hours Then, face LAX customs and a change.

They have improved customs in LAX, but as Canadians you are in a bigger line with the "lot of humanity"

I would much rather go through Honolulu which has a much much smaller arrival from overseas.

Hawaiidan You are a wealth of Info! I contacted O to find out IF we can leave ship in time to get the flight. We dock at 8PM but we have to clear with custom etc before anyone can laeve the ship. I will contact the Ko Oolina hotel to see if we can get an EARLY arrival as the flight gets in at 6:15 am on Sunday Morning! Would we go through custom in Honolulu?

Marriott is a class act, and being 10 miles up the coast fron the madness of Honolulu, your own beach, I think they will take care of you. it costs about $70 for cab fare but well worth it.

There is a Roys restauraunt there too and great golf/ Next to the Hotel is Paradise Luau... the best one a great show.

You dont need a car unless you are spending several days . then you can avoid the taxi fare. A trade off. Stick around, live is not a contest... savor it.:cool:

Yes you will go through customs in Honolulu, you will be one of the first arriving intl flights and it will be a dream to zip through after 0800 it gets busier

I am happy to help.... hope you have a smooth transition:D

I am stoked, because for 2014 I just snagged a cruise from Tahiti to London.

Best of all it sails at midnight on a saturday... and I can take a direct 5 hour flight from Hawaii to Tahiti avoiding a 15 hour+ 3 hour layover through LAX

My flight would get in at 10:30... 3 miles from the pier about 30 min to clear, pick bags and 5 min drive and I will be settled in my cabin on Marina!

Archived