Can we bring wine or liquor on board.

forevertravel

But really it's not that hard to drink $49 worth. Just 3 glasses of champagne a day and you saved more than you would have paid. Why go to all the trouble hauling around bottles, your on vacation-enjoy yourself and relax during your trip. I'd rather be taking it easy, than looking for a liquor store all the time.

Rick

That's true if you really think you'll be drinking that much, but I can't see doing that for myself ... and I'm not considered a light drinker.

The fact is, I tend to drink less on board than I do at home.

So I'm happy to bring one bottle of vodka or bourbon on board which lasts me through my cruise (unless it's a B2B which hubby doesn't want to do anyway, so that isn't a consideration). If I happen to be in a suite that gives us a liquor set-up (not often but it has happened), then I really don't need a liquor package.

One proviso: hubby doesn't drink (beyond an orange juice, no ice, and an occasional -- and I mean occasional -- drink of wine). So we don't go into the bars. If we did, I might choose differently.

Even if he did, I can't see spending that kind of money on a daily basis. (Maybe on a transatlantic ... definitely NOT on a port intensive cruise, which is what we've been having lately.)

I understand that MANY people are happy with paying $49/day pp for drinks but I just thought I'd mention that we personally are not. (It's not as if we are alone in that.)

It does depend on what you want, and I did give it a thought ... but if I can't buy the wine I want (for that $49) as opposed to the daily wine choices ... no, that's another reason why I don't find the package appealing.

To each his own.

Now, if we did a lot of champagne before and liqueurs after ... that might make a difference. No, it would! But we don't ...

Mura

Then do what I do ... which is to buy a bottle for dinner and if I don't finish it (usually I don't since I'm nursing it, especially since hubby doesn't share) ... and the bottle follows me from restaurant to restaurant.

And that is (as I said earlier, I think) a big reason why I am not interested in the package.

Since we don't go into the bars, I'm happy to have a bottle in my room (or not) and have a glass before dinner. Then when we go into the dining room, I order my bottle of wine or ask for the leftovers ...

Lots of people consider "used" wine undrinkable ... but I don't.

You know, I do think this could be an improvement to the package -- I had assumed when I heard it was coming into play that bottles of wine would be in the package. If they were, I probably WOULD take it. I know from what has been posted that the "by the glass" choices are good ones. I just would prefer to be able to select from the wine list (within reason).

Obviously, $300 bottles would NOT be included!

Maybe they'll adjust the policy in the future. And if they do not, I'll continue as I have!

Mura

The package seems reasonable but my real problem is that I like to order a bottle of wine at dinner. Wine by the glass doesn't appeal.

Sometimes they have wine by the bottle packages where you can buy 2 or more for a special price

I have never looked into it so maybe someone who has will comment

I do not mind "wine by the glass" more civilized than drinking from the bottle ;) :D

Sometimes they have wine by the bottle packages where you can buy 2 or more for a special price

I have never looked into it so maybe someone who has will comment

I do not mind "wine by the glass" more civilized than drinking from the bottle ;) :D

I insist on a straw for that very reason ;)

We just got off the Riviera for an outstanding cruise and this was out first cruise with Oceania and it won't be our last.

We brought wine on board to drink in our rooms. Nothing is more relaxing than sitting on your balcony and having a glass of wine in the late afternoon. It was heaven.

We also bought a wine package for the dining room. If you buy more than 3 bottles, the price goes down considerably for each bottle. The packages go up from there and you can buy the wine package at any time on the cruise. As someone else said, if you do not finish the bottle, they will cork it and no matter where you are for dinner, they don't seem to have difficulty finding the bottle to retrieve.

Bottled water and coke are available in the rooms in the mini bar.

We had a great time and best wishes for a great cruise.

For many of you paying $50/day pp is worth it.

For many of us, it is not. So bringing a bottle on board is an easy answer.

When I'm in a top suite, where they give me more liquor than we can imbibe, that's fine.

Otherwise, I bring on a bottle of whatever ,... and buy a bottle of wine at dinner which I nurse along.

For US the package is far more than we would spend otherwise.

To each his own!

Mura '

Your right each to his/her own. But at $49.00 a package that's just 3 glasses maybe 4 glasses at best a day (and we always have the Owners Suite with full set-up, this is are 5th cruise on "O", and I'm happy they came out with a package). If your on vacation why carry heavy bottles around. And if I'm on vacation I don't want to nurse a bottle and have it follow me around the ship. I don't over drink, but I enjoy myself during this time of my life.

Not everyone drinks 3 or 4 drinks a day

I may have a glass of wine every other day so just "pay as you go" works best for me

DH may have a drink in the afternoon & after dinner so we do sometime bring on a bottle of something he enjoys

You have to choose what works best for you

Lyn

Your right each to his/her own. But at $49.00 a package that's just 3 glasses maybe 4 glasses at best a day (and we always have the Owners Suite with full set-up, this is are 5th cruise on "O", and I'm happy they came out with a package). If your on vacation why carry heavy bottles around. And if I'm on vacation I don't want to nurse a bottle and have it follow me around the ship. I don't over drink, but I enjoy myself during this time of my life.

As you should!

I'm right for me and you are right for you. As Lyn says, chooses what works for you. If I were bringing along several bottles I would agree with you that it isn't worth the trouble. If I'm in a suite with the full set-up (which has happened but not often) I wouldn't bother because the set-up is more than adequate for us. And we tend not to go into the bars because DH's favorite cocktail is orange juice-no ice.

Mura

Archived