FCD's - New Terms Begin on Friday

sail7seas

I wonder if HAL is making these changes so that passengers will have more skin in the game, so to speak, and not be likely to cancel without good reason. It is possible that, under the expiring program, people with future cruise deposits were booking on a whim and cancelling and rebooking and cancelling, etc. With people expected to make a greater financial commitment, perhaps HAL figures they might be more serious about the booking, and HAL yield management will get a better feel for how each sailing is selling without having to bargain bucket cabins before final due date.

Definitely. Azamara changed their future deposits about a year ago. They also require full deposits onboard for their Suites, and I was told it was because people were purchasing the future deposits for $100.00 and then canceling. They are now doing a discount instead of OBC, but it was always much more than what HAL offered.

The beauty of the system as it is (was), is the ability to have several cruises booked at one time. When you are in the process of buying shore excursions, making dining reservations, buying airline tickets and anticipating making final payment and buying cancellation insurance for your next cruise you are not interested in making a large outlay for a very distant cruise.

The 100 dollar deposit was one of the things that kept us tied to HAL. We have always followed through with our final payment and have not played the cancel/rebook game which some have speculated may be the reason for the change. If a larger deposit is to be paid anyway, it may be that some will look at trying other lines.

At the very least, we would not object (too much) if the cost of an FCD were to be raised to $200 or even $300, but tying it into the length of cruise makes making a decision to buy almost impossible. We might buy an under 21 day deposit and later discover a 25 day cruise we want to take. It just complicates what was a very simple and popular programme that did wonders for brand loyalty.

The beauty of the system as it is (was), is the ability to have several cruises booked at one time. When you are in the process of buying shore excursions, making dining reservations, buying airline tickets and anticipating making final payment and buying cancellation insurance for your next cruise you are not interested in making a large outlay for a very distant cruise.

The 100 dollar deposit was one of the things that kept us tied to HAL. We have always followed through with our final payment and have not played the cancel/rebook game which some have speculated may be the reason for the change. If a larger deposit is to be paid anyway, it may be that some will look at trying other lines.

At the very least, we would not object (too much) if the cost of an FCD were to be raised to $200 or even $300, but tying it into the length of cruise makes making a decision to buy almost impossible. We might buy an under 21 day deposit and later discover a 25 day cruise we want to take. It just complicates what was a very simple and popular programme that did wonders for brand loyalty.

You took the words out of my mouth;) We've never played the cancel & rebook game either. Increasing the cost isn't the end of the world - but tying it to the length of the cruise is for us as well. We often browse and when we see an itinerary we like we book. The current system gave you the freedom to do that;)

:confused: Of course, I believe you. I have no idea why you think otherwise.

When you consider the complaints I have registered about FCC's in this thread, you can clearly see I am no fan.

I don't need to ask Pathfinder or anyone else.

If you say something here, without any reason otherwise, why would I not believe you?

My 'eyeroll' is at The rudeness and careless disregard for the guests to have paying passengers, on their vacation, standing in line waiting for her convenience to appear. I have no respect or patience for that sort of attitude.

I am sorry you interpreted my remark otherwise. I never dreamed you would take it that way.

I guess I read the eye rolls as directed to my comment. Sorry I misunderstood. I really do appreciate all your comments and advice on this board.

Again, sorry about that.

DaveOKC

You took the words out of my mouth;) We've never played the cancel & rebook game either. Increasing the cost isn't the end of the world - but tying it to the length of the cruise is for us as well. We often browse and when we see an itinerary we like we book. The current system gave you the freedom to do that;)

But, is the OBC now larger?

Celebrity always had a much larger amount such as $300.00 OBC per cabin on a cruise of 14 nights or longer booked onboard. But, they have many stipulations such as if you book onboard you cannot get shareholders credits as just one example. I tried booking onboard with them earlier this year and it was not combinable with my agents group rate (They said it was but it turned the agent had a special group rate...).

Right now HAL's OBC for booking onboard is very small, such as $25.00 per person on a 7 night cruise in an OV or Lanai.

Has this changed?

I've only met one FCC on board who was great. That was Tina on the Prinsendam. I guess that with Thom gone..... Oh well, too bad.

With the new changes, I'm not seeing an up side for us.

We have to agree about Tina. I do believe Tina and Thom are currently on the Statendam, working together as cruise consultants. we'll certainly miss them on our upcoming Prinsendam voyage.

Also, we've recently (August) done a crossing on the QM2 and found much to like. We did book a future 12 day cruise which required a cruise deposit of $300 pp plus $300 pp OBC for our cabin type. Deposit is refundable at anytime, good for four years, or transferable to another cruise.

Dave, it is so easy to be misunderstood on these boards where one does not have the advantage of being able to project tone, inflections, facial expression, etc. We all have experienced this to a greater or lesser degree, both on the receiving and giving end. Too bad we all couldn't sit around and have a massive Skype experience. :D

But, is the OBC now larger?

Celebrity always had a much larger amount such as $300.00 OBC per cabin on a cruise of 14 nights or longer booked onboard. But, they have many stipulations such as if you book onboard you cannot get shareholders credits as just one example. I tried booking onboard with them earlier this year and it was not combinable with my agents group rate (They said it was but it turned the agent had a special group rate...).

Right now HAL's OBC for booking onboard is very small, such as $25.00 per person on a 7 night cruise in an OV or Lanai.

Has this changed?

I would not like the loss of the shareholder credit (like Celebrity). On my upcoming 7 day cruise I got (per person) $50 for the FCC, a double up offer off of the FCC (another $50) and $50 for the shareholder credit. $300 total for a 7 day cruise - not bad IMO.

DaveOKC

I guess I read the eye rolls as directed to my comment. Sorry I misunderstood. I really do appreciate all your comments and advice on this board.

Again, sorry about that.

DaveOKC

I also appreciate all your contributions here on CC.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. :) As Sapper says, another example of not being able to see body language, facial expression and hear tone of voice. :eek:

Thanks, Dave. :)

Exactly how I feel. So far I'm not liking this change one bit. We don't know that far in advance how long a cruise we'll be booking so always leave it open.

We're holding one FCD and it may be our last. :(

What is good about this? We booked a 17 night cruise and a 22 night cruise onboard for $100.00 each per person.

Now the 17 night would require a $250.00 per person deposit or $500.00 total, and the 22 night would have required a $500.00 per person deposit or $1,000.00.

I entirely agree with this. I don't see anything good in it at all, except for HAL's benefit. I have a 22-night cruise booked for $100 each for over a year away. Under this new rule I would have to tie up $1,000 for that time.

Recently, when we wanted to book two future cruises but only had two $100 FCDs left (one for each of us), HAL booked one cruise under my name using my $100 FCD and the second cruise under my DH using his $100 FCD. True this meant only one OBC/cruise but we did save money on the deposits for these future cruises.

Can this type of booking happen under this new program?

Also, this morning I was told by a HAL agent that the OBC for a suite on a 21 day cruise will continue to be $100 even though the FCD will be $250 p.p. I know they often give the wrong information but supposedly he was reading this off a written notice just put out today!

when I questioned when using FCDs why the OBC would not match the required deposit amount his response was "Do you want HAL to give away the ship?"

What is good about this? We booked a 17 night cruise and a 22 night cruise onboard for $100.00 each per person.

Now the 17 night would require a $250.00 per person deposit or $500.00 total, and the 22 night would have required a $500.00 per person deposit or $1,000.00.

While Yes there are some down sides I see positives plus maybe because of my occupation I see this as a good thing and about time HAL started to make some changes.

First HAL is increasing the amount of Ship Board credit for those that purchase longer cruises. Before those that booked the longer cruises were capped at how much they could get, secondly in the past if you booked a cruise that was longer than 36 days you were out of luck to be able to have a Reduced Deposit from the FCD and any Ship Board Credit. Then on the smaller spectrum those that booked the 4 day Repo cruises also could not use the Future Cruise Deposit and received nothing. Now everyone gets something.

Second, I do not know the exact percentage but many Future Cruise Deposits purchased are used on a booking within 60 days of being originally purchased. While many of you book a cruise and never change, you would be shocked at how many people book, then cancel, then book, then cancel, then book ...... with using the same $100 Future Cruise Deposit. It truly becomes like a Yo-yo. Many will keep a nice long voyage booked all the way up to a few days before Final only to cancel and book one even farther out. HAL wants a little bit more of a True Committment. I know they are trying to work on a new type of pricing Structure that will make it far more enticing to book early and not cancel. From what I can see the new priced Future Cruise Deposits are still a bargain giving everyone an opportunity to save money from not putting down the larger deposit and receiving Ship Board Credit.

Right now it is my understanding that if you book say at 14 day cruise but had only purchased $100.00 Future Cruise Deposit that when you make the booking you will be able to just pay the difference of the $150.00 additional per person. Making the deposit $250.00 rather than $600 per person which is HAL's Normal. I personally would much rather put down just $500.00 total rather than $1200 total.

I think HAL is being more than fair, they need a committment. Chances are if you put down that much money you are for sure going to cruise not just thorwing the deposit out there not knowing for sure if youreally want that cruise. If we want HAL to start giving us things like a much lower pricing for booking Early then we need to give a little on our side of this. This will also flush out those that book early taking up cabins that totally throws off the count of what HAL thinks they have sold.

Look at it this way you Final Payment will be slightly less ;)

While Yes there are some down sides I see positives plus maybe because of my occupation I see this as a good thing and about time HAL started to make some changes.

First HAL is increasing the amount of Ship Board credit for those that purchase longer cruises. Before those that booked the longer cruises were capped at how much they could get, secondly in the past if you booked a cruise that was longer than 36 days you were out of luck to be able to have a Reduced Deposit from the FCD and any Ship Board Credit. Then on the smaller spectrum those that booked the 4 day Repo cruises also could not use the Future Cruise Deposit and received nothing. Now everyone gets something.

Second, I do not know the exact percentage but many Future Cruise Deposits purchased are used on a booking within 60 days of being originally purchased. While many of you book a cruise and never change, you would be shocked at how many people book, then cancel, then book, then cancel, then book ...... with using the same $100 Future Cruise Deposit. It truly becomes like a Yo-yo. Many will keep a nice long voyage booked all the way up to a few days before Final only to cancel and book one even farther out. HAL wants a little bit more of a True Committment. I know they are trying to work on a new type of pricing Structure that will make it far more enticing to book early and not cancel. From what I can see the new priced Future Cruise Deposits are still a bargain giving everyone an opportunity to save money from not putting down the larger deposit and receiving Ship Board Credit.

Right now it is my understanding that if you book say at 14 day cruise but had only purchased $100.00 Future Cruise Deposit that when you make the booking you will be able to just pay the difference of the $150.00 additional per person. Making the deposit $250.00 rather than $600 per person which is HAL's Normal. I personally would much rather put down just $500.00 total rather than $1200 total.

I think HAL is being more than fair, they need a committment. Chances are if you put down that much money you are for sure going to cruise not just thorwing the deposit out there not knowing for sure if youreally want that cruise. If we want HAL to start giving us things like a much lower pricing for booking Early then we need to give a little on our side of this. This will also flush out those that book early taking up cabins that totally throws off the count of what HAL thinks they have sold.

Look at it this way you Final Payment will be slightly less ;)

Thanks Lisa - it will be interesting to see all of this when they finally put it to paper. I don't have the issue with the larger FCD so much - it's the difference for the longer cruises and the cut offs. DH and I normally did 20 day cruises - so if I had bought my FCD based on that and then discovered the 31 day itinerary - it would have been all mucked up. If you can make up the difference and receive the applicable obc, it may well be ok. We'll just have to wait until the official announcement with all the terms and conditions I guess;)

Thanks Lisa - it will be interesting to see all of this when they finally put it to paper. I don't have the issue with the larger FCD so much - it's the difference for the longer cruises and the cut offs. DH and I normally did 20 day cruises - so if I had bought my FCD based on that and then discovered the 31 day itinerary - it would have been all mucked up. If you can make up the difference and receive the applicable obc, it may well be ok. We'll just have to wait until the official announcement with all the terms and conditions I guess;)

Jacqui, I could be mistaken but right now it is my understanding that YES you will be able to add to the Future Cruise Deposit if you book a longer voyage but it is sounding like the Max Ship Board Credit you will get will be what the max Ship board Credit was of the original Future Cruise Deposit you purchased.

Also I was told that any Future Cruise Deposits purchased under the old program will definitely remain the same.

I look at it this way, the Ship Board Credit they are giving you is definitely more money than you will receive letting it sit in the bank. HAL is giving the opportunity to get More Ship Board Credit.

HAL's program is still great, cruise lines such as Crystal have where you book a Future Cruise on board while cruising and you get a small discount off the cruise you book. You give them $100.00 per person while on board BUT within 14 days after you return home you must pay the Full normal Deposit. They do NOT have a Floating Deposit. But they do allow you to cancel that booking and change it to another voyage one time.

When I stated this was good news I meant it, HAL could have easily stated they were totally doing away with the Future Cruise Deposits, then how upset would everyone be:eek: It was not that many years ago when this program did not even exist.

Jacqui, I could be mistaken but right now it is my understanding that YES you will be able to add to the Future Cruise Deposit if you book a longer voyage but it is sounding like the Max Ship Board Credit you will get will be what the max Ship board Credit was of the original Future Cruise Deposit you purchased.

Also I was told that any Future Cruise Deposits purchased under the old program will definitely remain the same.

I look at it this way, the Ship Board Credit they are giving you is definitely more money than you will receive letting it sit in the bank. HAL is giving the opportunity to get More Ship Board Credit.

HAL's program is still great, cruise lines such as Crystal have where you book a Future Cruise on board while cruising and you get a small discount off the cruise you book. You give them $100.00 per person while on board BUT within 14 days after you return home you must pay the Full normal Deposit. They do NOT have a Floating Deposit. But they do allow you to cancel that booking and change it to another voyage one time.

When I stated this was good news I meant it, HAL could have easily stated they were totally doing away with the Future Cruise Deposits, then how upset would everyone be:eek: It was not that many years ago when this program did not even exist.

Thanks again Lisa:) I, for one like the floating deposit - quite often we do not see our cruise right away. It enables us to choose at our leisure which we really like. :D

I don't much care if we pay the full deposit or a reduced sum but I like getting OBC.

Pay the full amount of the cruise now or pay it later...... I'm fine with paying the $600 or whatever sum deposit. It isn't like that money is going to earn anything if we hold onto it longer. :rolleyes:

Just means less we have to pay later.

I do think it might make it a bit harder on folks who need to pay for their cruise in installments and having to put out a larger deposit could make their saving system a bit stretched. In this economy, any new strain on a budget is difficult.

I don't much care if we pay the full deposit or a reduced sum but I like getting OBC.

Pay the full amount of the cruise now or pay it later...... I'm fine with paying the $600 or whatever sum deposit. It isn't like that money is going to earn anything if we hold onto it longer. :rolleyes:

Just means less we have to pay later.

I do think it might make it a bit harder on folks who need to pay for their cruise in installments and having to put out a larger deposit could make their saving system a bit stretched. In this economy, any new strain on a budget is difficult.

Sail, not to be mean on my part but basically that is what HAL is trying to get rid of. If you financially are struggling with purchasing a cruise there is a very good chance come final you will not have the money and will cancel and if you do scrape it together then you are not one spending a lot on board the ship. HAL is like every company out there trying to keep profits in the black. They want to attract people who will spend money. If you want to take a longer more expensive cruise then you need to put up a bigger cash investment. Those that do put in the bigger investment will be rewarded with more Ship Board Credit.

It is my understanding they were getting a large number of Mariners that would place their Future Cruise deposit on their "DREAM" cruise. Maybe it felt good hoping and thinking they could some day take that 30 day cruise but in reality that day never comes around. On the smaller ships the percentage was quite high of cabins booked with just $100.00 especially singles only to get canceled later. It is just basically weeding out the the dreamers and giving the True cruiser an opportunity. Hopefully this will eventually lead to better pricing for booking Early.

Sail, not to be mean on my part but basically that is what HAL is trying to get rid of. If you financially are struggling with purchasing a cruise there is a very good chance come final you will not have the money and will cancel and if you do scrape it together then you are not one spending a lot on board the ship. HAL is like every company out there trying to keep profits in the black. They want to attract people who will spend money. If you want to take a longer more expensive cruise then you need to put up a bigger cash investment. Those that do put in the bigger investment will be rewarded with more Ship Board Credit.

It is my understanding they were getting a large number of Mariners that would place their Future Cruise deposit on their "DREAM" cruise. Maybe it felt good hoping and thinking they could some day take that 30 day cruise but in reality that day never comes around. On the smaller ships the percentage was quite high of cabins booked with just $100.00 especially singles only to get canceled later. It is just basically weeding out the the dreamers and giving the True cruiser an opportunity. Hopefully this will eventually lead to better pricing for booking Early.

Lisa

Thankfully, Lisa, we do not struggle to pay for our cruises.

If we could not afford them, we would not be sailing.

When we could not afford travel, we stayed home until we saved enough to be able to enjoy ourselves and not stress over every dollar.

So.... not mean, to me.

Not for me to speak for anyone else. If they think it 'mean', that's for them to decide.

Lisa - I agree with you - putting down a bare minimum deposit makes it less likely (IMO) that you will take the cruise. Personally, I would just as soon pay more upfront and less later, since it makes it feel like a lower amount. Anyway, as Sail mentioned, just do not get rid of my OBC! And I like the idea of getting something for the shorter trips.

DaveOKC

Thankfully, Lisa, we do not struggle to pay for our cruises.

If we could not afford them, we would not be sailing.

When we could not afford travel, we stayed home until we saved enough to be able to enjoy ourselves and not stress over every dollar.

So.... not mean, to me.

Not for me to speak for anyone else. If they think it 'mean', that's for them to decide.

I'm the same way. Nothing ever gets booked unless I can afford it. Same goes for my credit cards. I just use them to keep my money in the bank a little longer.

I sure hope that HAL does give better pricing to people that book well in advance. It gets very tiresome when HAL practically gives cruises away at the end and then wonders why these people are spending nothing on board. What do they expect?

I'm the same way. Nothing ever gets booked unless I can afford it. Same goes for my credit cards. I just use them to keep my money in the bank a little longer.

I sure hope that HAL does give better pricing to people that book well in advance. It gets very tiresome when HAL practically gives cruises away at the end and then wonders why these people are spending nothing on board. What do they expect?

I can't say we don't spend anything on board;) but otherwise I agree - it would be so nice if they offered good pricing early rather than give them away at the end to people who didn't show committment.

My underline and bold.

We're the fools that book early, pay ridiculous prices and watch free upgrades and cheap upsells, time and again. Even we get tired of it.

Years ago, they could 'keep it secret' but now we all know about it. :rolleyes:

My underline and bold.

We're the fools that book early, pay ridiculous prices and watch free upgrades and cheap upsells, time and again. Even we get tired of it.

Years ago, they could 'keep it secret' but now we all know about it. :rolleyes:

It's true. It's getting to the point that I'm thinking I should wait until final payment to book because I'm fed up. The problem is that I like to maximize my vaycay and if I do switch employers that's going to be more important. I'm not likely to get as much vaycay at another company. CC is really good for getting info. I don't know how I lived without it for so long.

Archived