Get to the Cruise the day before - Part 1

javaCruiser14

this is so common rick steves has a section in each port of his med. book called getting to your missed ship. can't wait to see if ins picked up the $600 cab ride...what an adventure....we always leave a day early. the only time we would have missed the ship was portland me to nyc...not a very long trip by plane....you just never know.

Very interesting story with a very important lesson! If I am not mistaken, this cruise was actually taken in November 2010 - see Post #4 which matches the cruise history in his/her signature. Seems like quite a few people think he/she is currently on this cruise. OP, please correct me if I am mistaken.

Edited by peg013

I have re-read previous posts and I would like to apologize for the terrible misspellings. I started this off to be a short post, but I keep throwing in facts and it just keeps going. My High School English teacher would be rolling in her grave, except she is still alive!

Once we get on the boat, you are kind of afraid to get off again. We are told that we have to go to safety/lifeboat drill. (I was hoping we could skip). Law requirement. We meet another couple that was on the same flight, they caught the flight to Nice. Always good to know what we shoulda coulda done. We leave the ship for look at Monte Carlo, we venture off, but never out of sight. We get back to ship well

We have many messages from Jack, whom we met on CruiseCritic and made private excursion plans. Imagine what Jack must have been thinking. All these plans made on the internet and then I don’t show for our first meeting. Well, we left message when we got on, and we make arrangement to meet and explain why we missed meeting.

Litmoro- dock Florence/Pisa We have made plans for private excursions from an guy named Maritzio. He greets us at dock and away we go! Four of us in a Mercedes van.

In my opinion, the private excursions are the way to go, especially in Italy. Dockside there were about 30 buses lined up for the daily excursions. Put 60 people on each, send into narrow streets of Italian towns, how close can they get, and when they stop for lunch, it has to take a couple hours.

We went to Pisa, parked within a block of the Leaning Tower and stayed until the four of us had seen what we wanted. Tour guide told us that it was customary to pay for use of Restroom facilities, unless you purchase something. So buy something, a gelato or coke and use the restroom. At Pisa it was just a grate/drain in the floor. Not bad for us guys, but the ladies had to practice squats or hovering. Just so you know.

Then off to Florence. Maritzio took us to hill overlooking Florence, with statue of David. Great picture spot. We then went downtown Florence to El Duomo, saw the bridge/tunnel built for the family with money to burn. (Meduci-bankers). We got a really great tour seeing all the sites, It took close to hours. We told driver we did not want to miss boat, but once you’ve missed one, the fear is not as great.

Chitaveckia- Rome We are greeted at the dock again by Maritzio, who drove down to Rome and stayed with girlfriend. Picked us up and asked us what we wanted to see in Rome. We named all the major tourist sites and he planned the day accordingly. We started with the Vatican, Sisteen Chapel, And St Peter’s church. You could spend days here, but after a while the paintings and statues start looking similar. Our Vatican tour lady mentioned that a lot of the treasures were stolen when the Huns sacked Rome, she failed to mention that many of the Roman treasures were procured in the same manner from Egypt.

We saw the Patheon, the “three coins in a fountain “ fountain. We got to the coliseum; Maritzio showed us where to buy tickets without lines. Rome in 9 hours, back to the ship.

Naples – Positano, Sirento, Pompeii The dock in Naples is in an industrial part of the city, as in many large city ports. Maritzio again met us and away we go. The Amalfi coast cities are really something to see, and another time in which I don’t see how a BIG bus can do it justice. These are literally built on a cliff. We had a nice lunch on top of the hill. It’s interesting looking at the town and the way they transport their daily supplies; a little pulley- cable system to save the lift-walk carry.

Pompeii - If you go, try to watch a made for TV special “When Rome Ruled- Pompeii “ –it’s like a three-part series. One part (2 hour) tells about the destruction of Pompeii and how they know what they believe happened. Also, if you go to Pompeii, be forewarned that it is large and you walk through. The street were 18inch cobblestones and they have worn on the edges. You need to watch where you step, which make it a little more difficult to get around.

After the last three days of touring we have a day at sea. I usually think that these are a waste of my tour-time, but this time I REALLY needed a break!

Palma- great little island We just walk around

Barcelona- Cruise over and time to get home………….but you’ve got to fly, and it’s Iberia/American time again.

First clue should have been that when we got to Bacelona airport, we asked to get boarding passes all the way through to DFW. Oh no problem, but oh my, they could only get us to Madrid, We would get the boarding passes then. Barcelona to Madrid- No Problem. At Madrid it starts to look like déjà vue. We cannot get a boarding pass but we are checked all the way through, get it at the gate. We get to the gate and we determine it’s overbooked and we are the maybes. We wait, till the plane is boarded, they make the offers and we squeeze on. Perfect…Taxi to tarmac, and pilot comes on and says they have an indicator light on the right engine, and they have called the mechanics. Three (3) hours on tarmac, and they announce that flight is cancelled. They tell us that they will put us up in Hotel, transportation provided, and voucher for buffet at Hotel. They tell us that we will be on flight tomorrow same time.

Go to Hotel-Largest in Madrid- hey that’s what they said and it was large, cause we were way out back!

Sometime during the evening, rumors started flying around that tomorrows flight was already full and we were not on it. We found a nice gentleman with an Apple computer in the lobby and made our own arrangements. We had to leave early the next morning, the only arrangement took us through Heathrow. There were delays, and fog in London, so we barely made our connection. We literally had to run to gate and then make them wait on wife. Got on, again barely, and off to tarmac. Pilot comes on again….I know that you think I am making this up, but nobody can make this stuff up!!!! This time it’s the flight recorder. The airplane has three, two of which are required, but only one is working. The get another and we actually take off, three (3) hours delay.

That’s it…that’s the story!!!

I swore that when it happened I would never venture across the big frog pond again. I am about over that, and I might in a couple of years. We have been on an Alaskan cruise, and we are going New England-Canada on a few weeks. I am better for the experience.

I was not a fan of Spain, but I loved the Italians.

Now to answer some of the questions:

Insurance- I had purchased travel insurance, because of the European destination, same day flight and cruise, and unforeseeable potential health issues. I believe that the policy had a 4-hour flight delay and trip cancelation insurance. It also had dollar limits for each and as I remember a $1500 max. I remember this because we maxed the limit. Something everyone should be aware of: I believe that insurance companies try their best to deny the claims for whatever reason. 1/7 of the cruise is pretty easy to prove. I had a pocket in my carry-on and we put all receipts in that pocket. They wanted proof of boarding passes, taxi receipts, McDonalds airport meals, everything ect. I remember most of this cause I sent in claim, and they paid 1,472 and denied the rest. Some would say close enough, but one thing they denied was extra baggage fee from Madrid to Milan= $50.

On international flights, you are allowed (or were then) to have two (2) checked bags. On domestic flights only one. If no delay, I would have been on boat and extra bags would not have been issue, so I argued and they paid. I am a big believer in flight insurance, and will probably always but on all trips. I also believe that you get more for less, when you purchase independently.

The insurance paid for the first part trip costs of delays. I felt that we shoulthe dd have also been compensated for delay in Madrid and London. he European Union has requirements that a delay over a certain time should be compensated. Our delay did not come under these rules as i was purchased in USA.

Even though the story is a couple of years old, I think it's good to post it, but it's going to bring back my nightmares. I am heading to Barcelona next month for the TA back to Miami on Epic. I am going a full day ahead, but am still worried. Once that ship sets sail it's days before the first stop.

I normally do my own excursions, but am doing the ones for the two stops through NCL, I don't want to miss that boat as here's no catching it at sea for five days:eek:

Thanks for the story, I hope others take notice.

I swore that when it happened I would never venture across the big frog pond again. I am about over that, and I might in a couple of years. We have been on an Alaskan cruise, and we are going New England-Canada on a few weeks. I am better for the experience.

I was not a fan of Spain, but I loved the Italians.

Now to answer some of the questions:

Insurance- I had purchased travel insurance, because of the European destination, same day flight and cruise, and unforeseeable potential health issues. I believe that the policy had a 4-hour flight delay and trip cancelation insurance. It also had dollar limits for each and as I remember a $1500 max. I remember this because we maxed the limit. Something everyone should be aware of: I believe that insurance companies try their best to deny the claims for whatever reason. 1/7 of the cruise is pretty easy to prove. I had a pocket in my carry-on and we put all receipts in that pocket. They wanted proof of boarding passes, taxi receipts, McDonalds airport meals, everything ect. I remember most of this cause I sent in claim, and they paid 1,472 and denied the rest. Some would say close enough, but one thing they denied was extra baggage fee from Madrid to Milan= $50.

On international flights, you are allowed (or were then) to have two (2) checked bags. On domestic flights only one. If no delay, I would have been on boat and extra bags would not have been issue, so I argued and they paid. I am a big believer in flight insurance, and will probably always but on all trips. I also believe that you get more for less, when you purchase independently.

The insurance paid for the first part trip costs of delays. I felt that we shoulthe dd have also been compensated for delay in Madrid and London. he European Union has requirements that a delay over a certain time should be compensated. Our delay did not come under these rules as i was purchased in USA.

Hope you enjoy your Canada cruise on the Gem as much as we enjoyed ours a couple of weeks ago. You deserve it.

Great story.....I did the Baltic cruise with NCL twice and flew out 4 days early just to do some touring before the cruise and to make sure I didn't miss the boat.......enjoy your NE/Canadian cruise on the 10th......I'm doing the NE/Canadian cruise also but on the 5th out of boston on the dawn....

Last oct. we decide to take a last minute cruise. Booked a week in advance. Boston to Bermuda. Went down fron ns to Boston 2 days early. Booked a flight from Boston to ny. Should have known to turn around a go home....left medication at home, wheel broke on suitcase, gas filler pipe rusted out. All in the first 5 hours of 12 hour trip. Checked the weather before we left and said it was going to be cold a rainy. Arrived in Boston to see winter storm warning, come on , its only oct. plane was cancelled, and the next, so went to airport to get the last one we could. Tried to check in, but it just was cancelled too. Sent us to train station 5 trains cancelled. Missed ship, had to stay another night in Boston $175.. Flew to bermuda $700. stayed in a dump for 2 nights for $300. Eating in Bermuda, $150. (Meals are soooo expensive here) taxis. $85. Finally made it to the ship. Obc missing. Didn't get credit until month after return. Food poisoning one day, one day really bad storm. Back to ny for worse night in a hotel. $160. ( it should be only rented by hour and warning posted) happy to say rest went without bother. Long and short of it. Even booking couple days and well planned can end up awful .....some days the dragon wins!

Oh my!! These stories will give me nightmares and one more thing to research before flying "over the pond" -- alternate itinerary info....just in case.

We have always flown in at least a day ahead in Europe and at least the evening before domestically. I thought we were being appropriately conservative, but now I'm wondering:p .

Last oct. we decide to take a last minute cruise. Booked a week in advance. Boston to Bermuda. Went down fron ns to Boston 2 days early. Booked a flight from Boston to ny. Should have known to turn around a go home....left medication at home, wheel broke on suitcase, gas filler pipe rusted out. All in the first 5 hours of 12 hour trip. Checked the weather before we left and said it was going to be cold a rainy. Arrived in Boston to see winter storm warning, come on , its only oct. plane was cancelled, and the next, so went to airport to get the last one we could. Tried to check in, but it just was cancelled too. Sent us to train station 5 trains cancelled. Missed ship, had to stay another night in Boston $175.. Flew to bermuda $700. stayed in a dump for 2 nights for $300. Eating in Bermuda, $150. (Meals are soooo expensive here) taxis. $85. Finally made it to the ship. Obc missing. Didn't get credit until month after return. Food poisoning one day, one day really bad storm. Back to ny for worse night in a hotel. $160. ( it should be only rented by hour and warning posted) happy to say rest went without bother. Long and short of it. Even booking couple days and well planned can end up awful .....some days the dragon wins!

You just have to be super-careful June through Oct/Nov booking Bermuda. We tried to get there last September, and got direverted by hurricane Katia.

We always booked Bermuda in May, and will continue in the future. Never a problem.

My two nightmare stories was our first trip to Europe it was to Ireland. Plane was loaded sat on the turmac for hours on end only to deplane & spend our first night in a hotel in JFK airport. Aer Lingus picked up the tab worse was the next day trying to get on a flight.

My second worse nightmare was when we booked a day early to stay at the Hilton in San Juan no more flying the same day. About 3 a.m. in the morning the airline calls & says the airline is cancelling due to snow. Of course I am argueing what snow are you people crazy? Sure enoung here came the snow & JFK was shut down. The reservationst gave me an evening flight I was arguing we would be missing the ship. Called back pleaded & got us a late morning flight. Now keep in mind all the flights were all backed up & delayed due to the snow storm. Plane came in 3 hours late but ok because we still had time. Get on the plane & yes you guess it the plane had mechanical trouble, by now my nails were completely chewed down, I also forgot that PR is one hour a head of us. We finally get off the ground when the flight attendents tell us the time when we were landing that is when I realized the difference in time. There was a bunch of us on the flight that was cruising so that worked out to our advantage. When we got off the plane the people from the cruise line was waiting & gave us a choice of going with them & seeing our luggage tomorrow in ST Thomas or get the luggage & miss the book. So all of us just ran they had a bus waiting, all I can tell you the streets & buildings were just wizzing by. We get to the ship they ask DH to step in as they move the gang way he was the last to board the ship. That is when I learned never leave home without a carry on!

Edited by dutchess43