Which would you choose?

PEMCO007

Hi there we are booked on the Emerald for new year and are currently in a balcony cabin on Caribe deck, however as there are 3 of us would have liked a mini suite for the extra room. I have just checked Princess website and 2 cabins have opened up in the mini suite cat, one is D729 and the other is a guarantee, I have booked guarantees before but cant decide this time need your help lol x

Also, what is the price difference between the assigned cabin and the guarantee? If it's not much, I'd take the known cabin, but usually it difference is significant.

Price is the same since they would both be AC.

Personally, I would take the GTY unless the known cabin is a great location. I feel there is a better chance of an upgrade that way.

Also, what is the price difference between the assigned cabin and the guarantee? If it's not much, I'd take the known cabin, but usually it difference is significant.

Really? Whenever we book a guarantee, the price is always cheaper than a cabin you can choose. Otherwise, why book a guarantee, if not to save money (and possibly get a better cabin; rare to get a 'real' upgrade, but it happens)?

Hi there we are booked on the Emerald for new year and are currently in a balcony cabin on Caribe deck, however as there are 3 of us would have liked a mini suite for the extra room. I have just checked Princess website and 2 cabins have opened up in the mini suite cat, one is D729 and the other is a guarantee, I have booked guarantees before but cant decide this time need your help lol x

I would take the known cabin. I'm not a fan of guarantees unless the savings are significant and I'm in the mood to gamble. The cabin you mentioned is aft. I like aft cabins as an elevator ride up puts you right at the buffet area and lido deck pool area.

Really? Whenever we book a guarantee, the price is always cheaper than a cabin you can choose. Otherwise, why book a guarantee, if not to save money (and possibly get a better cabin; rare to get a 'real' upgrade, but it happens)?

If the two cabins are in the same category (for example BB), then the price is the same if you select an available cabin or select GTY.

It is only if the GTY is in a different category from the specific cabin (for example BC and BB) that there would be a cost savings by booking the lower category cabin.

I think I would go for the guarantee. Now, if you said E729 -- that's the one to go for. Any mini on the Emerald deck has a covered balcony -- even nicer. the 2 at the very aft are really the best -- huge balconies. The starboard side even better than the port side.

Thankyou for all your replies, unfortunately by the time my TA got back to me they had been snatched up :(, I'll keep watching to see if ny more open up now its coming up to final payment time for many. Fingers crossed :)

If it is before final payment time and you see a cabin or GTY that you want and your TA is not available, then book directly with Princess. Yon can then transfer the booking to your TA as long as it is before final payment.

If it is after final payment time and the same situation occurs, you have a choice. Book directly with Princess with no involvment with the TA and be 100% sure you will be on the cruise or wait until you can get hold of your TA and hope the booking opportunity still exists when you do reach the TA..

If the two cabins are in the same category (for example BB), then the price is the same if you select an available cabin or select GTY.

It is only if the GTY is in a different category from the specific cabin (for example BC and BB) that there would be a cost savings by booking the lower category cabin.

I think what we book for guarantees is usually listed just as an "X" cabin, with no other designation, except balcony, which is what we want. Once in a while it is listed as X, but the lowest balcony letter/number combo. So far, we've always gotten some kind of an upgrade within the balcony cagtegory. Once we were upgraded to a mini, but not on Princess.

There is a significant cost savings for these kind of guarantees. I'm not sure I've even seen the other kind; maybe I just don't look at them because the price is the same as a non-guarantee.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived