be honest...

mikeblum

and i don't want any bashing becuase of this...just curious...has anything mysteriously jumped into your bag and made its way home from one of your crusies......

NO, what isn't mine stays on the ship.

You do realize the cruiseline reads these boards? :confused:

Yes they do read these boards but how would they know a person's real name when we all have user names. And if a person doesn't give their name, cabin number, ship's name and date of sailing they have no idea who the thief is.

I had a friend who would steal things from restaurants and bars all the time. The last straw was when we went to have lunch at a mexican restaurant, she wanted to steal a serape cloth wrap off of the wall because she liked it!

I had to tell her several times to put it back, but it was just crazy. I understand taking soap samples that are left out as marketing promo items, but other things is a bit much.

That's nothin!.

A lady reported that she ran a motel. One day she found that the carpet under a king sized bed had been cut out and removed.

I assume that this took place on the ground floor.

john

Well, this was from a land hotel, but same concept.

I stole a really cheap bread&butter knife first morning at a buffet at our hotel in Spain because hadn't been able to check any knives in our carry on's. So wanted a knife because knew we would be picking up various meats and cheeses and breads along our travels for picnics etc.

BUT totally forgot about it on the way home. Made it fine from Madrid to Miami, but got stopped and searched by TSA in Miami and they confiscated our really cheap knife! (Karma, I guess, lol).

I usually take toiletries home from hotels, and pads and pens.

I work in a job where my career requires I be squeaky clean. I have never even thought of taking the towels or bathrobes or dishes. I don't get why people think this is a souvenir. I can honestly say I have been in rooms with cash stacked much like the towels in the laundry. People trust me.

Part of that is simply need. Think of this at Christmas or a birthday and remember you can all afford a cruise vacation. What exactly do you need? Anything I really need to have in my home or garden, I buy and mostly anything I could take from a ship would repeat something I already have. And it would weigh more in my luggage getting home.

The crack in my armour is the array of disposable items. I will bring home a pen/pad with the name on it. I may bring home some of the bathroom supplies. Disposable items like a plastic spoon with the ship name is also fair game.

I went to look for the OPs post. Most of the items were on the RCI board. Then found this one. So RCI could be looking for somebody from Minneapolis on this cruise. I bet if you looked at all the other items from the same person, you could find a real name. They can search passenger data bases to find it. Heck, they already know he likes beer by the bucket.

Took me mere minutes to find this much.

-------------------------------- March 6th, 2009, 01:03 PM

mikeblum user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon6.gifNeed help !!!!!!!!!

IT'S BEEN 2 YRS...anyone out there know what the current price for a bucket of brewski's poolside...MARINER OF THE SEA'S 3-15-2009

Last edited by mikeblum; March 6th, 2009 at 01:03 PM.

I confess to being a pen thief, I am looking at a mug full of them....no pen is safe from me....however, so far I haven't found a cruise line's pen worth stealing but I am forever on the lookout for one.
But that is entirely different, something companies encourage you to take. The pens with the cruise logo really are intended to be souvenirs, like those bags with the cruise logo they give us to take home.

If there is ever any doubt as to whether or not an item is something that you are expected to take home, all you need to do is ask guest relations (or the front desk, or whatever they call the customer service area on your ship).

I swear I lived a Seinfeld episode... hubs and I took my elderly parents 2 years ago on a cruise, they were 87 years old. The next morning after we were home I walked past their bedroom and they were awake sitting up in bed sipping their tea OUT OF CARNIVAL MUGS! I said to them "Did you steal those mugs???" :eek: to which they replied "We wanted to feel like we were on our cruise every morning from now on..." I told them next time I will BUY them a couple of mugs. They weren't even nice mugs, they were the crappy cafeteria-style mugs from the buffet, all old and scratched and cruddy. Sheesh! Reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry's uncle and parents keep stealing batteries. LOL.

I wanted one of the neat fishbowl glasses NCL serves some of their drinks in - they have different sayings on them. I don't drink, but I asked one of the bartenders if I could just buy a glass & he handed me one. He wouldn't let me pay for it, so I tipped him. On our next cruise, I hope to collect more glasses!

So in this case the bartender becomes the thief, by giving away something that wasn't his to give. But he profited from it, via a tip, so it becomes more than either generosity or kindness, he "sold" something he had stolen.

After many years in the business, I know that employees never see the logic of this situation. I can't tell you how many bartenders have told me that giving away drinks was a good marketing effort, that they were doing me a favor. Right. They sure didn't offer to give me the tip they got for giving away my inventory.

...........They weren't even nice mugs, they were the crappy cafeteria-style mugs from the buffet, all old and scratched and cruddy....

LOL. Think of it this way. If the mugs or old, scratched and cruddy your parents did our lands-fill a favor by keeping the cruiseline from throwing out these mugs when they would have replaced them with newer ones!

I swear I lived a Seinfeld episode... hubs and I took my elderly parents 2 years ago on a cruise, they were 87 years old. The next morning after we were home I walked past their bedroom and they were awake sitting up in bed sipping their tea OUT OF CARNIVAL MUGS! I said to them "Did you steal those mugs???"

My grandmother would literally steal everything from the restaurant, salt and pepper shakers, silverware, rolls ..... anything.

Of course it drove my father and uncle crazy.

One time my father, uncle, grandparents were taken out to the exclusive private Vesper Club. Upon sitting down, my uncle (the member) called the head waiter over, and told him to "bring over a large bag, as my mother is going to steal everything on this table (which included pewter plates).

The HW obliged, and my uncle took every place setting on the table and put it into the bag, then asked if this was enough, and could we now concentrate on just having a nice dinner.

How about turning this around and tell what we've left behind that most people would take?

RCI used to leave logo gifts, such as ball caps, bags, photo frames, etc... I left all these behind because I just don't like logo junk. I don't take the cheap pens, but I did take one RCI gave me as a Christmas gift several years ago, it was a nice pen. I don't take the carry bags most cruise lines leave for convenience.

I don't take the toiletries, don't use them. Normally I don't take the drink glasses (with the above exception ;)) I don't take all the paper they give us, wish I could just turn it back in so they could use the coupon specials and booklets they give out on every cruise. I don't take the brochures at the future cruise sales desk. I have enough junk mail to deal with out of the mailbox every day, I certainly don't need to add to it. I wish we could register to not get the daily newsletter since we rarely attend events and shows.

I have donated (in error) one brand new camisole top (same color as the bed sheets, left the last morning) one case full of CD's (before iPod) two formal photos (left on the desk). I have returned one belt, really pretty turquoise that was left behind by the previous cruiser. One disposable camera, not used. One mens tropical shirt, delivered to our cabin in error, I hope they found the proper owner.

I take the pens from hotels all the time, but like many have said, it's a marketing tool and practically encouraged. You never know when you're gonna need a pen.

I had a Baymont Suites pen in my car for 5 years until it finally died recently. I would grab it out for things like checks, mail, notes, etc. it survived 100+ degree summers and 0 degree winters for 5 freakin' years. Better believe I'll remember Baymont Suites for a while as a result.

I will take the teas and coffees if they're worth getting. Sometimes they aren't but you can get the individual Twinings teas and once I got a pack of Vittoria coffee I gave to my parents.

I don't see any problem with taking stationery or toiletries. You're MEANT to take those. I used to have little collections.

Honestly???!!!!

Who wants the pens, soaps, shampoos, chocolates, towels???

I agree that stealing is stealing. But, why steal this stuff. We all have too much stuff.

It makes me think that many folks who do this are hoarders...well, thieves, too.

As I said, we don't take anything... but as someone else said... flip it!

We did leave brand new, never been used full snorkel equipment one time. We didn't snorkel and bought too much to take off and decided to leave it. We were really hoping some crew member would take it and hopefully share between them on their rare days off to snorkel. We hope it didn't just go off as trash.

Would you believe my DH wants more snorkel gear now!?! :confused:

Archived