be honest...

mikeblum

We put the cabin steward in one of our suitcases, but had to let him out at the airport as the suitcase weighed way over the limit!:D

Don't you hate it when that happens? :D On our first cruise the cruise director announced that we weren't allowed to take our cabin steward home - they didn't have enough to go around.

On a more serious, note since we seem to have sooo many honest persons with us, it seems strange to me that we have any need customs, or income tax inspectors.:confused:

john

I would think customs would be a different thread than this. How many people go above their allowance and do not claim it?

I would think customs would be a different thread than this. How many people go above their allowance and do not claim it?

Point being that IF all North Americans had always paid their taxes to the letter, a study a few years ago stated that the governments of USA and Canada would be debt free, so, there should be no reason to take soap and the like.

Just a thought.

john

• 1 month later...
So in this case the bartender becomes the thief, by giving away something that wasn't his to give. But he profited from it, via a tip, so it becomes more than either generosity or kindness, he "sold" something he had stolen.

After many years in the business, I know that employees never see the logic of this situation. I can't tell you how many bartenders have told me that giving away drinks was a good marketing effort, that they were doing me a favor. Right. They sure didn't offer to give me the tip they got for giving away my inventory.

Except Norwegian encourages you to take the souvenir glass home. There was no stealing involved here. Those glasses are meant to be taken. On Carnival, the little colored shotglasses from the shot waiters at dinner are also meant to be taken. When we left ours on the table the first night, our waiter asked us why we had done that.

Interesting that the majority of those who post on this topic seem a lot more ethical than those who post on threads dealing with sneaking liquor on board. Isn't depriving a line of its reasonably anticipated revenue much the same as depriving it of its small pieces of equipment?

Your theory has a major flaw: you assume that a smuggler would buy alcohol ig he hadn't brought his own.

]Except Norwegian encourages you to take the souvenir glass home. There was no stealing involved here. Those glasses are meant to be taken.[/color] On Carnival' date=' the little colored shotglasses from the shot waiters at dinner are also meant to be taken. When we left ours on the table the first night, our waiter asked us why we had done that.[/quote']

Yes, when you paid for the drink that was in the souvenir glass.

Hmmmm. So many purrfect people:rolleyes: I take home the "goodies". The shampoos, soaps etc. They are there to use and are factored into the cruise pricing. They make good souvenirs and I put some in the guest bathroom. Usually take a face towel too or the journey home...slap my hand:p.

What I have seen many times is passengers taking food, especially on disembarkation day, something I would never do, or even want to!

Reading this thread makes me think of the episode of "Friends" where Ross and Chandler go to stay in an Inn in Vermont. Ross steals all sorts of stuff, but rationalizes that the stuff he takes are "consumables" so it's not stealing. ie: he won't steal the tv clicker but the batteries are okay. He won't take the table lamp but the light bulb is okay. The salt shaker no, but the salt in it is okay to take. Etc , etc. Funny how we can rationalize anything if we try hard enough. :rolleyes:

Interesting that people think it's OK to take the shampoo/conditioner bottles, pens and paper but think other items would be stealing.

You seem to have some confusion about what these items are then. Toiletries are meant to be used by the guests... they are expendable items that are written into the budget to be replaced. They are put out with the intent of you using them and cannot be reused. Taking home a bottle or two of toiletries they intended for you to use is not stealing. Pens and paper are also meant to be expendable items and have logos on them for a reason, it's called advertising. They want you to use these things so others will see them.

Glasses (other than ones stated as being souvenier), plates, towels, robs or anything that is used repeatedly by the staff however is stealing. These items are not budgeted per person as a one time use item. When you take an item that is intended to be used by mulitple people over an extended period of time then you are stealing as the product did not go through it's normal life cycle as predicted by financial analysts and management.

You seem to have some confusion about what these items are then. Toiletries are meant to be used by the guests... they are expendable items that are written into the budget to be replaced. They are put out with the intent of you using them and cannot be reused. Taking home a bottle or two of toiletries they intended for you to use is not stealing. Pens and paper are also meant to be expendable items and have logos on them for a reason, it's called advertising. They want you to use these things so others will see them.

Glasses (other than ones stated as being souvenier), plates, towels, robs or anything that is used repeatedly by the staff however is stealing. These items are not budgeted per person as a one time use item. When you take an item that is intended to be used by mulitple people over an extended period of time then you are stealing as the product did not go through it's normal life cycle as predicted by financial analysts and management.

Perfect response.

Taking toiletries isn't stealing! Neither is taking stationery!

I totally agree. How silly to think otherwise? I save them and give them to my granddaughter's as cute little gifts. They love them and I don't feel a BIT guilty about it. I'm amazed anyone would think that's stealing. :confused: I've also brought home glasses that are specifically stated as being souvenirs. I have a set of 3 Princess shot glasses ( going for the complete set in 5 days ) that I was told were to keep.

Towels, NO. Plates, NO.

If I'm wrong, I wish the cruise lines themselves would respond to this thread.

Taking toiletries stealing? :rolleyes: You have GOT to be kidding. Right? :eek:

Interesting that the majority of those who post on this topic seem a lot more ethical than those who post on threads dealing with sneaking liquor on board. Isn't depriving a line of its reasonably anticipated revenue much the same as depriving it of its small pieces of equipment?

If someone sneaks liquor it doesn't necessarily mean that they would have bought alcoholic beverages on board. If they nab salt and pepper shakers on the other hand they will need to be replaced which does cost the cruiseline.

If someone sneaks liquor it doesn't necessarily mean that they would have bought alcoholic beverages on board.

Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

And if you put a monkey in a room with a typewriter for infinity it would eventually type every work of Shakespeare.

If someone sneaks liquor it doesn't necessarily mean that they would have bought alcoholic beverages on board. If they nab salt and pepper shakers on the other hand they will need to be replaced which does cost the cruiseline.

I agree!

john

a pen and that was an accident, habit to toss it in your purse when you are done writing/signing

I did the same thing--put a pen I was using in my purse and forgot about it. Didn't find it for about a month after I got home.

There is an organization here that asks all business travelers to bring home the toiletries from hotels for the local shelters, but I have never been able to bring myself to do that. Yes, it's for a good cause, and yes, they are expendable and meant to be used. But that's the point, it is meant to be used, not to take home. I had one coworker that went to a conference with me and she stuffed every toiletry the hotel put out in her suitcase, then expected the housekeeping staff to restock every day, which she promptly put in her suitcase. To me, that is stealing. Yes, hotels provide those for convenience, not for you to take home. Same with the ship.

I have taken a paper napkin to use in my scrapbook since I know it will just be thrown away.

When I was around 6 years old, I stole a candy bar and my mother didn't notice until we got home and I started to eat it. She drove me back to the store with a half-eaten candy bar, found the store manager, and made me apologize, pay for it, and give it back. I was so mortified and ashamed, Then I had to do chores to work off the money that my mother gave me to pay for the candy bar. I've never forgotten it. (And yes, I felt guilty when I found that pen in my purse.)

Archived