be honest...

mikeblum

and i don't want any bashing becuase of this...just curious...has anything mysteriously jumped into your bag and made its way home from one of your crusies...could it be the little towel animals that your cabin steward did up for you...or is it a nice set of those red pizza plates...or maybe a wonderful thick pool towel...it's time to be honest...in our case we are renting those 7 plastic pizza plates but i plan to bring them back...Navagator of the seas 3-9-2013...
If your goal is to incur the wrath and hatred of your fellow passengers, that is a good way to achieve it.

The result of such shoplifting is that it raises the cost of cruising for everyone else, and furthermore, can even result in inconvenience for everyone else.

We were on one cruise line where they actually made the passengers check each pool towel in and out!

Instead of making us feel like welcome guests on a luxury vacation, they treated us as juvenile delinquents in the locker room of a school gym.

Why? Because a number of their previous passengers had done exactly what you suggest.

a pen and that was an accident, habit to toss it in your purse when you are done writing/signing

thats all and probably will be all i ever take. Theft isn't my thing.

In my opinion, the pens are meant to be taken. I've been told as much by hotel staff, so I don't consider that theft the same way taking towels or bathrobes would be.

No, never, no chance, search me if you please. I have no respect for dishonesty, and theft is one form of it. To open this with "be honest" is galling irony, although a thief wouldn't see it as such.

So True .... and why I'm worried about the OP who may need professional help to deal with stealing issues. :o

We've never taken anything that we didn't pay for. We have accidentally forgotten items - typically in hotels, and have had them shipped home at our expense.

We always bring home whatever toiletries are provided.....they go to our local homeless shelter. (We bring our own toiletries!) Aside from that, we don't take that which is not ours.

There is an idea we've never thought of.

You do realize the cruiseline reads these boards? :confused:

And, no, we don't steal anything.

So if they were reading this specific thread, what's their plan of action?

In my opinion, the pens are meant to be taken. I've been told as much by hotel staff, so I don't consider that theft the same way taking towels or bathrobes would be.

Agreed! And I don't think they mind anyone taking the notepads. I don't take anything else other than those two items. Regarding towels and robes, I don't understand why anyone would take them. They're rough on the skin, the robes are heavy and just plain uncomfortable. Anyways.....

hot topic in my family....mom was a klepto....when she died she had the largest collection of unmatched bar glasses known to man. some sibs continue on. one has complete service for 8 from disney room service trays left in the hall...my kids always got a kick out of their doty grandmother emptying the sweetner containers and filching a liquer glass but have grown to not do it themselves.i will only take opened toiletries....could never bring myself to do more...

My Mother-in-law took my girls on a weekend trip and while unpacking at her house she pulled out 2 hotel towels. My girls were upset with her and said "Gramma, you took the towels" and she said " I had to wrap the glasses in something so they wouldn't break"

I think we have 2 cabin keys at home - but they "dinged" us out and handed the keys.

We don't care for chocolate when there is so much food available, so we brought the pillow squares home.

Occasionally some food makes it way into our bags at ports for snacks.

Can't think of anything else!

I have read on this site some people commenting that they have to give up their cabin keys upon disembarkation, but we've never been asked for our cards once we did the final "ding." I'm guessing that the cruiselines don't mind as it's a nice promo for their cruises (you put them in your scrapbook and maybe someone looking at yours starts asking about your cruises).

If we opened a tiny shampoo bottle, we may take that along and use as a travel size item for a future trip. And the notepads have to be replenished if you've used some of the sheets for notes to your cabin mates. But other than that, it wouldn't even occur to us to take something.

and i don't want any bashing becuase of this...just curious...has anything mysteriously jumped into your bag and made its way home from one of your crusies...could it be the little towel animals that your cabin steward did up for you...or is it a nice set of those red pizza plates...or maybe a wonderful thick pool towel...it's time to be honest...in our case we are renting those 7 plastic pizza plates but i plan to bring them back...Navagator of the seas 3-9-2013...

So you stole cheap, tacky plastic plates that have been used by hundreds of strangers? Ummm...nice score???

Yup, I've also sometimes taken the half-used travel size toiletries with me. Not always though, I'm picky :rolleyes:

As for towels and glasses and all that stuff...again, I'm picky and have absolutely no need for them, plenty of them back home.

You admit that you are going to be a thief yet you don't want any bashing?:rolleyes: I'm sure 7 plastic plates don't cost much so don't try to rationalize by saying the spa articles cost way more. Stealing is stealing no matter the monetary value. Hope they hunt you down.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120917/NEWS/709179972/tourist-fined-3000-for-stealing-on-cruise&utm_source=newsletter20120917&utm_medium=email&utm_content=article_title&utm_campaign=newsletter

Interesting that the majority of those who post on this topic seem a lot more ethical than those who post on threads dealing with sneaking liquor on board. Isn't depriving a line of its reasonably anticipated revenue much the same as depriving it of its small pieces of equipment?

More so I would think. Only took booze on board one ship, even if allowed(wine). Don't want to carry the weight now.:(

Pens and writing pads have advertising on them so I assume they want the ads to circulate, and I do my part.;)

I was in one first class hotel in which there was a sign in the bath that said any missing towels would be charged $XX or you could buy a new one by calling the desk and paying $xx. I don't know if that was an insult or sales pitch! :confused:

Interesting that people think it's OK to take the shampoo/conditioner bottles, pens and paper but think other items would be stealing.

I admitted to my one time pilfering of a high ball glass and washcloth. After reading many of the responses I think I cost the cruise line far less than people taking the bottles of toiletry items when they don't use them or need them, or the pens and paper provided in cabin. Donations to homeless shelters may be a nice thing to do, but you are still costing the cruise line $.

Not getting anal here, more amused than anything else. I've cost the cruise lines far less than others who are being so noble. Half used toiletry items don't count, as those would be thrown out.

I had a friend who would steal things from restaurants and bars all the time. The last straw was when we went to have lunch at a mexican restaurant, she wanted to steal a serape cloth wrap off of the wall because she liked it!

I had to tell her several times to put it back, but it was just crazy. I understand taking soap samples that are left out as marketing promo items, but other things is a bit much.

Archived