Anyone drive from Le Harve to Normandy beaches?

lamchops

I have tentatively rented a car for our Le Harve port of call. My original plan was to drive to some of the small towns near Le Harve as we will be in port for 12 hours. The 3 hour ride to Paris for a 4 hour visit doesn't excite me. I would really like to drive to Juno Beach and see the D-day experience from a British/Canadian perspective. My DW & I were going to take the ships tour but it's 3-4 times the cost of the car and ther are no roll call tours to join.

Is the drive difficult? (we've rented a GPS unit)

Anyone ever try it?

We have driven the route a couple of times while on cruises and also spent a week in the Normandy area while on an extensive driving trip in France. You will have no problem getting to Juno. It will take you about 1 1/2 hours (each way) if you go a bit inland and use the fast A13 Autostrade. But, another option is to drive the 2 lane roads along the coast (past Honfleur, Deauville, etc) which does add another 30 minutes to the drive. We like to coastal 2 lane roads because its more scenic...but sometimes time has to be the major consideration.

One highlight in the region, often skipped on tours, is the Peace Museum in Caen. This is an impressive museum for anyone interested in the history around WWII in France and it does an amazing job of explaining the political failures in the 30s that led to WWII.

Hank

lamchops,

Be careful! I had rented a car at CDG and was going to drive to Normandy.

When we arrived, it was pouring rain and the clouds were so low, it was like a heavy fog. :eek: GPS or not, I called and cancelled the car and we stayed in the hotel. This was in October, I have no idea when you are going, but definitely have a back-up plan.

lamchops,

When we arrived, it was pouring rain and the clouds were so low, it was like a heavy fog. :eek: GPS or not, I called and cancelled the car and we stayed in the hotel. This was in October, I have no idea when you are going, but definitely have a back-up plan.

The first time we ever drove to Omaha Beach was in the month of October and it was a foggy drizzly morning. When we got to the parking lot at the beach we were the only car and had the entire area to ourselves for about 30 minutes. The rain had stopped, but there was a mist hanging over the beach and cliffs which made it almost surreal. About an hour later the sun broke through the clouds and fog and it turned out to be a gorgeous day. When we returned to this part of Normandy during the summer tourist season it was not as good of an experience since there were crowds of people, lots of buses, vender selling everything from cheap tinkets to cotton candy, etc.

Hank

We have just come back from a week in Normandy and took our own car on the ferry from the UK. In addition to Juno beach you should also have tme to visit the museum at utah Beach and also the Pegasus Bridge Miuseum. You may also be able to fit in a visit to the Bayeux tapestry.

There are also excellent seafood and fish restaurants if you have time for a nice lunch.

the visits to the D Day museums are very moving and well worthwhile.

I've driven it a couple of dozen times, mainly driving a coach.

Easy driving - a mix of divided highway & country lanes, no city driving, easy parking everywhere except possibly if Arromanches is busy.

The main N13 is fast - comfortable 70mph, the coastal lanes are slow & mebbe 30mph average.

Here's a suggested itinerary that will give you a broad over-view:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Le+Havre,+France&daddr=Honfleur,+France+to:49.37751,0.09572+to:49.32422,-0.00431+to:B%C3%A9nouville,+France+to:Courseulles-sur-Mer,+France+to:Arromanches-les-Bains,+France+to:Colleville-sur-Mer,+France+to:Pointe+du+Hoc,+Isigny-sur-Mer,+France+to:La+Cambe+German+war+cemetery,+La+Cambe,+France+to:Le+Havre,+France&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=49.33447,-0.36332&sspn=0.614793,1.447449&geocode=FWI58wIdmaUBACl9iyGVIy_gRzESrzOveobBWw%3BFQoS8gIdLo8DACnFXQ_jpTPgRzHw6rxPSBQMBA%3BFeZw8QId6HUBACnPbI8gpSzgRzFwk6M2SBQMEw%3BFbyg8AIdKu___ymLhX9kf38KSDFQ2Kw6SBQMEw%3BFTtk7wIdFcH7_ynp6buTWGYKSDGw-rxPSBQMBA%3BFZ7E8AIdawX5_yk7CdG53VgKSDFMgBBPZi638g%3BFY3a8AIdsYD2_ynFAVHh2lUKSDEA_bxPSBQMBA%3BFQAA8QId-R7z_ymXwzswO6gLSDGw9LxPSBQMBA%3BFcSt8QIdFvLw_yFuZXGV6ZGIcyl1CNbiNQoLSDFuZXGV6ZGIcw%3BFfjl8AIdq1bw_yGRklQ3zYFskClfwkqctQoLSDGRklQ3zYFskA%3BFWI58wIdmaUBACl9iyGVIy_gRzESrzOveobBWw&oq=Le+Havre&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=10&via=2,3&t=m&z=10

After crossing the mouth of the River Seine (€4 toll), choice of fast N13 freeway or scenic coastal road, to the nearest significant D-Day sight, the British Pegasus Bridge/museum at Benouville, on the River Orne between Caen & Ouistreham and about 80 minutes from Le Havre. Consider a stop here, mebbe 60 minutes. Museum and/or Cafe Gondre, first building liberated just a few minutes past midnight on D-Day.

Then a 20 min drive past the British Sword beach to the Canadian Juno beach/memorial/museum at Courseulles-sur mer. For you, worth 90 mins plus.

On past the British Gold beach to Arromanches - the only significant town along the beaches, with remnants of the Mulberry harbour, seafront museum, plenty of shops, bars & cafes. Worth 60 minutes plus.

You are now a minimum 1hr 40 mins from Le Havre.

Continue past the gun battery at Longues-sur-mer to the American cemetery, overlooking U.S. Omaha beach at Colleville-sur-mer. Worth 60 mins plus.

You are now a minimum 1 hr 45 mins from Le Havre.

This may be as far as you have time for, but if time permits continue 15 minutes along the coast to the shell-cratered clifftop fortifications ofPointe du Hoc (worth at least 20 munutes), before heading 15 miles inland to the N13 at La Cambe, & just off the N13 at La Cambe is the German cemetery, a stark contrast to the American cemetery & worth a few minutes.

You are now a minimum of 1hr 40 minutes from Le Havre.

You will of course have to allow time to return the car, and at least an hour in hand for delays. If you haven't used up that time-in-hand, you might want to drop into Honfleur for a swift beer on the pretty harbour-front. You are now a minimum 30 minutes from Le Havre.

That itinerary/those suggested stops will take something over 10 hrs - hence you may need to turn back before Pointe du Hoc/La Cambe.

JB :)

I've driven it a couple of dozen times, mainly driving a coach.

Easy driving - a mix of divided highway & country lanes, no city driving, easy parking everywhere except possibly if Arromanches is busy.

The main N13 is fast - comfortable 70mph, the coastal lanes are slow & mebbe 30mph average.

After crossing the mouth of the River Seine (€4 toll), choice of fast N13 freeway or scenic coastal road, to the nearest significant D-Day sight, the British Pegasus Bridge/museum at Benouville, on the River Orne between Caen & Ouistreham and about 80 minutes from Le Havre. Consider a stop here, mebbe 60 minutes. Museum and/or Cafe Gondre, first building liberated just a few minutes past midnight on D-Day.

Then a 20 min drive past the British Sword beach to the Canadian Juno beach/memorial/museum at Courseulles-sur mer. For you, worth 90 mins plus.

On past the British Gold beach to Arromanches - the only significant town along the beaches, with remnants of the Mulberry harbour, seafront museum, plenty of shops, bars & cafes. Worth 60 minutes plus.

You are now a minimum 1hr 40 mins from Le Havre.

Continue past the gun battery at Longues-sur-mer to the American cemetery, overlooking U.S. Omaha beach at Colleville-sur-mer. Worth 60 mins plus.

You are now a minimum 1 hr 45 mins from Le Havre.

This may be as far as you have time for, but if time permits continue 15 minutes along the coast to the shell-cratered clifftop fortifications ofPointe du Hoc (worth at least 20 munutes), before heading 15 miles inland to the N13 at La Cambe, & just off the N13 at La Cambe is the German cemetery, a stark contrast to the American cemetery & worth a few minutes.

You are now a minimum of 1hr 40 minutes from Le Havre.

You will of course have to allow time to return the car, and at least an hour in hand for delays. If you haven't used up that time-in-hand, you might want to drop into Honfleur for a swift beer on the pretty harbour-front. You are now a minimum 30 minutes from Le Havre.

That itinerary/those suggested stops will take something over 10 hrs - hence you may need to turn back before Pointe du Hoc/La Cambe.

Thank you for the detailed itinerary. I'm a little nervous about "time" so I am undecided about the coastal route. ( I figure I have 5-7 hours depending on DW)

We will definately go to:

Juno Beach Center

Bayeaux Tapestry

Caen ?

Undecided coastal route:

Honfleur

pegasus Bridge

Sword Beach

I will play around with "Google Directions" and come up with something before we leave.

Thanks again

Thank you for the detailed itinerary. I'm a little nervous about "time" so I am undecided about the coastal route. ( I figure I have 5-7 hours depending on DW)

We will definately go to:

Juno Beach Center

Bayeaux Tapestry

Caen ?

Undecided coastal route:

Honfleur

pegasus Bridge

Sword Beach

I will play around with "Google Directions" and come up with something before we leave.

Thanks again

Ok, out-bound take the main drag as far as Caen - the coastal route to Caen via Honfleur/Trouville/Deauville/Cabourg is more attractive but takes about 15 mins longer & its easier to take a wrong turn or two.

Avoid the city of Caen itself like the plague - stick to the ring road, the "peripherique", which is part of that main N13 & signed to Cherbourg. Even that can get a little clogged where it passes over the River Orne.

On the peripherique, as soon as you cross the Orne bridge you'll see a ramp (No.3a) signed for the D515 to Ouistreham (car ferry). Follow that Ouistreham road & in a couple of miles, the D514 road to Benouville (for Pegasus Bridge) is signed. The bridge/museum is no more than half a mile. Then via Ouistreham to Courseulles.

Or to skip Pegasus bridge (which would be a shame), stay on the peripherique & a couple of junctions later is a ramp (No.5) for the D7 which heads toward Courseulles.

From Courseulles it makes sense to stay on the coast to Arromanches, where you can continue to the American cemetery/Omaha, or turn inland for an easy run to Bayeux.

Caen itself is a rather featureless modern city, it was flattened in the days after D-Day & I don't know of any D-Day sights.

The Peace Memorial Museum in Caen is close to the peripherique but poorly-signed. It's not a D-Day museum, it covers conflict & although it majors on WW2 there's little about D-Day & much about the holocaust.

And its extensive, needs a full day.

Bayeux was almost untouched by WW2, an attractive historic town centre and of course the tapestry. Great if you don't want yoor visit to be wall-to-wall D-Day but of course something else will have to give.

Your research will pay off, because it'll allow you to work out an itinerary, and also adjust to suit how the day is going.

Ok, out-bound take the main drag as far as Caen - the coastal route to Caen via Honfleur/Trouville/Deauville/Cabourg is more attractive but takes about 15 mins longer & its easier to take a wrong turn or two.

Avoid the city of Caen itself like the plague - stick to the ring road, the "peripherique", which is part of that main N13 & signed to Cherbourg. Even that can get a little clogged where it passes over the River Orne.

On the peripherique, as soon as you cross the Orne bridge you'll see a ramp (No.3a) signed for the D515 to Ouistreham (car ferry). Follow that Ouistreham road & in a couple of miles, the D514 road to Benouville (for Pegasus Bridge) is signed. The bridge/museum is no more than half a mile. Then via Ouistreham to Courseulles.

Or to skip Pegasus bridge (which would be a shame), stay on the peripherique & a couple of junctions later is a ramp (No.5) for the D7 which heads toward Courseulles.

From Courseulles it makes sense to stay on the coast to Arromanches, where you can continue to the American cemetery/Omaha, or turn inland for an easy run to Bayeux.

Caen itself is a rather featureless modern city, it was flattened in the days after D-Day & I don't know of any D-Day sights.

The Peace Memorial Museum in Caen is close to the peripherique but poorly-signed. It's not a D-Day museum, it covers conflict & although it majors on WW2 there's little about D-Day & much about the holocaust.

And its extensive, needs a full day.

Bayeux was almost untouched by WW2, an attractive historic town centre and of course the tapestry. Great if you don't want yoor visit to be wall-to-wall D-Day but of course something else will have to give.

Your research will pay off, because it'll allow you to work out an itinerary, and also adjust to suit how the day is going.

Boy JB - I just want to say that you are an absolutely incredible help on these boards:):):)

JB,

Would this be reasonable, non-stressful, and is the time allotted at each stop enough? While D-day interests me I need Bayeux for DW. If we get ahead of schedule, we may stop off in Honfleur on the return trip. I'm trying to build in some extra time at DW is not as prompt as I would like.:)

NORMANDYship8:00 docks

Le Harve9:30 leave rental agency

Pegasus Bridge Memorial (90min)11:00 arrival

12:30 departure

Juno Beach Center (120min)

1:00 arrival 3:00 departure

Bayeux Tapestry (60min?)3:30 arrival 4:30 departure

Le Harve6:00 arrivalship7:00

JB,

Would this be reasonable, non-stressful, and is the time allotted at each stop enough? While D-day interests me I need Bayeux for DW. If we get ahead of schedule, we may stop off in Honfleur on the return trip. I'm trying to build in some extra time at DW is not as prompt as I would like.:)

NORMANDYship8:00 docks

Le Harve9:30 leave rental agency

Pegasus Bridge Memorial (90min)11:00 arrival

12:30 departure

Juno Beach Center (120min)

1:00 arrival 3:00 departure

Bayeux Tapestry (60min?)3:30 arrival 4:30 departure

Le Harve6:00 arrivalship7:00

Hi lamchops,

Time for some lateral thinking ;)

Your timetabling is ok, except the last part.

I'm not clear about when you are due back on board, or whether you'll be returning the car in town or at the pier, but it doesn't look like you've left enough "wiggle-time" for the return from Bayeux to Le Havre.

You need to leave Bayeux with about an hour in hand for any delays on the 90 minute run back to Le Havre. You may be delayed up to 30 minutes around Caen if it's a week-day, because it will be commuter time. And allow a further 30 minutes for any other unforseen delays.

But here's a thought.

Your priorities are Bayeux & Juno centre.

So suppose you reverse your route, go to Bayeux first, then Juno centre, & leave Pegasus bridge til last. If you fall behind the clock & have to trim your time at Pegasus bridge - or miss it entirely -it won't spoil your day like missing either of the others.

So here's a suggested route & itinerary:

Give DW the option of starting half an hour earlier or being restricted to 30 mins in Bayeux. Blame that one on me :p

Depart rental agency 9am, then 90 mins to Bayeux.

Bayeux 10.30 - 11.30 (cathedral is just a 2 minute walk from the tapestry). Then 20 mins to Arromanches, brief stop on the town seafront (Mulberry harbour) & a photo-stop on the headland above as you head out on the road to Courseulles). Then 15 mins to Courseulles.

12.30 - 2.30 Juno centre, Courseulles. Then 30 mins to Pegasus Bridge.

3.00 - 4.00 Pegasus bridge. Aim to depart from Pegasus bridge by 4pm regardless. Then 60 mins to Honfleur, and depart Honfleur 45 mins before you need to return the car. Or 80 mins direct from Pegasus bridge to Le Havre if you're behind the clock.

Here's the route more specifically. I've adjusted to your sights, rather than just the towns.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Quai+Roger+Meunier&daddr=Rue+de+Nesmond+to:Rue+Colonel+Ren%C3%A9+Michel+to:49.3400393,-0.620138+to:Rue+de+Ver%2FD514+to:Av.+du+Commandant+Kieffer%2FD514+to:49.4098209,0.2680984+to:D579A+to:Quai+Roger+Meunier&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=49.306322,-0.162048&spn=0.618721,1.441956&sll=49.484534,0.11306&sspn=0.009577,0.022531&geocode=FboJ8wIdiaoBAA%3BFX_d7wId4kz1_w%3BFVbe8AId8oD2_w%3BFYfe8AIdlon2_ynlobP33FUKSDEuP_uH-GCiUA%3BFd7J8AIdqOb4_w%3BFSBf7wIdYNX7_w%3BFRzv8QIdQhcEACkXdqoZfDTgRzFRXoQ5SBQMEw%3BFUYV8gIdrIwDAA%3BFdIJ8wId_6sBAA&oq=Courseulles&mra=dme&mrsp=8&sz=16&via=3,6&t=m&z=10

Most of it is a pretty obvious choice of route, but from Pegasus bridge you have several options back to Honfleur/Le Havre.

1. Back across the Pegasus bridge, & a couple of miles up the D515 to the Caen peripherique is simplest, but you may encounter some traffic for a mile or so getting onto the peripherique & the short stretch of peripherique over the river. Then its plain sailing on the N13.

2. Cut the corner onto the N13, as I've done on this map. It's only marginally shorter but does cut out the peripherique traffic. A series of poorly-signed lanes through Ranville & Herouvilette - use this route only if your sat-nav directs you, or you have detailed instructions. The route is on google street-view - I tend to make notes from street-view.

3. The coastal route through Cabourg, Deauville, Trouville & Honfleur. This is the prettiest route & automatically takes you through Honfleur, but takes 20/25 minutes longer. Take this route if you're ahead of the clock.

A few by-the-ways:

Spelling - Le Havre.

If you're expecting to be given a car with auto transmission, make sure the agency is aware. Unless auto is specified, rental cars are normally manual transmission.

Back-on-board time is usually 30 mins before advertised sailing time. Use that for your planning, but of course adjust if its different.

If your trip is at the end of a long holiday weekend, aim to use the coastal route (Cabourg, Deauville) back to the ship, to avoid the french trippers returning to Paris on the main N13.

As usual, way too much detail from me makes it look more daunting than it is. :rolleyes:

It's a doddle -and far more fun than a ship's tour

JB,

We're there on a Sunday and naturally I put my interests first.:) I guess we could start with Bayeux and go the other way. I just thought it would be easier to race home on the expressway.

Thanks for all your help.

JB,

We're there on a Sunday and naturally I put my interests first.:) I guess we could start with Bayeux and go the other way. I just thought it would be easier to race home on the expressway.

Thanks for all your help.

It makes only a little difference to the total travelling time whatever order you visit those three places, so slot them into the order that you prefer.

Sounds like that'd be Juno then Bayeux then Pegasus.:).

Which means about three miles off-route from the peripherique to Pegasus, & the same back to the peripherique. Costing mebbe ten minutes extra.

And unless you choose the third option back from Pegasus Bridge, most of your return will be on the expressway, no matter what the order.

No Caen commuter traffic on a sunday of course, perhaps a little more traffic elsewhere but no big deal unless its a holiday weekend.

lamchops,

I live in the Pacific Northwest and have driven a stick shift most of my life. If I was bothered by rain, I'd never get to drive. :)

Have to put my 2 cents (or Euros) into the mix. We would recommend going to Bayeux first and then on to the beaches. Our reasoning is simply. You will probably find that Bayeux is really not a big deal, you will walk in the building see the tapestry and after a very short time be ready to leave. You then head off to Juno after which you can see just how much time you have remaining to see other things. At that point you may have enough time to visit other beaches, sites, etc. Although I understand the OP is looking for Canadian related places we would strongly recommend a visit to Omaha Beach and Pointe du Hoc. The reason is that there is simply a lot there to see (burned out bunkers, the cliff, etc). The American Cemetary is also an amazing place (every blade of grass knows its place) for its beauty and perfection (anyone who saw the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan would understand). If you do the trip in reverse going to Bayeux last, you will not be able to gauge the amount of time you need at Bayeux and will probably allow more time then necessary and hence reduce your tour options.

Hank

No Caen commuter traffic on a sunday of course, perhaps a little more traffic elsewhere but no big deal unless its a holiday weekend.

I'm haven't caught which month the cruise is, but if it is in the spring here can be heavy traffic on the Caen ringroad on a sunday evening, and also (even more likely) on the portion of the A13 expressway between Caen and Pont-L'Eveque (at the junction with the road coming from Deauville), because Parisian people will go to Normandy for the week-end and go back home on Sunday evening. So be sure you have some wiggle room nevertheless.

We recently rented a car from Europcar in Le Havre and had to wait in line over a 1/2 hour. We got there at 8:00, but there were people ahead of us and only 1 woman working.

So next time go to Hertz, Rent a Car, Budget, Avis, etc? But we sure hear what you say and it is a typical issue with rental car agencies around the world. In the US we can avoid the hassle with clubs like Hertz Gold (every rental car company has these clubs) but in Europe we often have to wait! Our only solution is to get to the rental car office first :) On the other hand you could have taken an excursion and sat on your bus waiting for a half hour for somebody to go to the bathroom or do some last minute shopping.

Hank

So next time go to Hertz, Rent a Car, Budget, Avis, etc? But we sure hear what you say and it is a typical issue with rental car agencies around the world. In the US we can avoid the hassle with clubs like Hertz Gold (every rental car company has these clubs) but in Europe we often have to wait! Our only solution is to get to the rental car office first :) On the other hand you could have taken an excursion and sat on your bus waiting for a half hour for somebody to go to the bathroom or do some last minute shopping.

Hank

Since the OP's timeframe is tight, I was trying to inform him of an additional factor to plan for.

Since the OP's timeframe is tight, I was trying to inform him of an additional factor to plan for.

If time is critical then it might make sense to rent from the agency that has an office right in the cruise terminal. I thought the name of the company was simply "rent a car" but cannot find them online so I might have the name wrong. Perhaps if the OP posts with that as a topic somebody else has the web site.

Hank

If time is critical then it might make sense to rent from the agency that has an office right in the cruise terminal. I thought the name of the company was simply "rent a car" but cannot find them online so I might have the name wrong. Perhaps if the OP posts with that as a topic somebody else has the web site.

Hank

www.rentacar.fr

le_havre@rentacar.fr

Hank

We arrive in LeHavre on Sunday, November 4 so every car rental is closed except Europcar and they are charging "afterhours" fees. It still saves us $250+ over a ships tour and we wanted a Canadian POV. I sensed that DW doesn't want the day to be totally D-Day related.

I will take Hlitner's advice and do:

1) Bayeaux Tapestry

2) Juno Beach

3) Pegasus Bridge

to Honfleur if we have time on the return trip.

Lambchops

We are on the Emerald Princess in May and looking at renting a car or taking a private tour. Do you know how much the ship's tour was so I can compare pricing.

We have been quoted 875 euros from one company and yes we need to go to Juno Beach as we also are canadians. We have been there before but the other 6 haven't.

I just read all the posts Question were people just lining up to rent at the cruiseship terminal or did they book ahead?

Thanks Ontario Cruiser

Lampchops and anyone else who can answer my questions

We are also Canadians and want to go to Juno Beach. Do you know if we just go to the car rental booth at the cruiseship terminal to rent a car or do we book ahead of time and if so what rental company. We will be 6 or 8 people

I would also like to know what Princess charges for their tour. We dont go until May (Emerald Princess) so excursions are not posted yet,

We have also been inquirying about private tours and had one quote 700 euros for the day.

Thanks everybody for your help

Ontario Cruiser

Archived