Silly question... how do you say Oceania?

Love.II.Cruise

We are taking our first cruise on Oceania soon. I've been saying the name of the cruise line a certain way with my TA. He pronounces it the way I say it. But did he do that because of what I called it or because I learned from him? :confused: I do not think my TA books many Oceania cruises because I feel like I've had to educate him on the cruise line based on what I've learned on these threads.

So, how do you pronounce "Oceania?" All I can say is that I do not pronounce the Ocean part like Ocean.

It would be nice to learn how to pronounce it before we board. :p

I did a search on this on these boards without luck, but I'm sure it has been asked before.

Audio of "Oceania" being spoken: http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?ggocea01.wav=Oceania

(There's a pause of a couple of seconds before the audio starts.)

Uh oh! I pronounce it with one less syllable - without that "I" part in there (and so does my TA). :(

This is going to be one serious habit to break! I booked this last April (2011) and have been saying it wrong for over a year... not to mention my family is also booked and has also been saying it wrong.

I did not hear that exact version anywhere on the ship on my last sailing.

What I heard were variations of these three. . . . .

O she anna

O she on-nah

O she on-ee-uh

Without the symbols for pronunciation, I hope those examples are helpful.

If you watch the videos on the Oceania website the name is spoken by a woman with a British accent, adding even more variation :rolleyes:

Audio of "Oceania" being spoken: http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?ggocea01.wav=Oceania

(There's a pause of a couple of seconds before the audio starts.)

Phonetically, Arusha is 1000% correct (sorry Frank) but the people who founded Oceania pronounce it as if the "I" were not there at all.

For that reason, people who fancy themselves "in the know" generally follow that example:

Oh-She-Ann-Uh

:Some (including me, because I'm a little OCD :rolleyes:) pronounce it "O-shi-an-ee-a". Others, including the founder, CEO and Chairman, Frank Del Rio, pronounce it "O-shi-an-ah.

A story is told, he wanted to call the cruise line "Oceana", but the name was in use in other ways, including the name of a P&O ship. So, he settled for adding an "i", but still pronounces it without the "i". I don't know how accurate the story is, but I've heard him pronounce it "Ocean-ah". I don't think he cares how folks pronounce it as long as they sail on it...;)

{EDIT} Hi, Jim, look at the posting times for both of us! :D

Oceania (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png/ˌəʊʃɪˈɑːnɪə/ or /ˌəʊsɪˈɑːnɪə/)[1] is a region centered on the islands of the tropical Pacific Ocean.[2] Opinions of what constitutes Oceania range from the coral atolls and volcanic islands of the South Pacific (ethnologically divided into the subregions of Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia)[3] to the entire insular region between Asia and the Americas, including Australasia and the Malay Archipelago.[4] The term is sometimes used more specifically to denote a continent comprising Australia and proximate islands,

There was as long thread about this issue before we boarded MARINA last October. I've always said "o-shee-an-a" but I do recall a host on a ship's tour in Costa Rica in early 2004 emphasizing that it was "o-shee-an-I-a".

But upon boarding Marina last October, and watching the video that is on when you enter the cabin, everybody on the video said it the way I always have.

So the answer is: pronounce it the way you want! From my perception there is NO wrong way!

After all, when the line started up they DID want to call it "Oceana" but could not ... there was another ship using that name at the time.

Go look at the Yahoo board name ... It stuck with the original spelling even after it was changed.

In the end there is no need to get bent out of shape about how to pronounce it. If you emphasize the last "i", there will people who agree with you. And if you do not, there will ALSO be people who agree with you!

Mura

A bit like "The Louve" and the "Louvra" :o

Gee, I hope not. I mean, I hope nobody says "Louvra"! I know, I know, French is very difficult to pronounce, especially if it wasn't forced down your throat in school like it is here in Canada!

I have been reading the Oceania board as long as the cruiseline has been around, but I haven't cruised them yet. I learned several years ago that it *should* be pronounced Oh-she-ah-na, so I've tried to train myself to say it that way. But it sounds kind of pretentious to me. Plus I love the sounds of Oh-she-ann-ee-ah, and I love the idea of, and my experiences in, the part of the world called "Oceania". So perhaps I'm going to retrain myself to say it the way it's spelled. The other way sounds like an affectation.

Gee, I hope not. I mean, I hope nobody says "Louvra"! I know, I know, French is very difficult to pronounce, especially if it wasn't forced down your throat in school like it is here in Canada!

I have been reading the Oceania board as long as the cruiseline has been around, but I haven't cruised them yet. I learned several years ago that it *should* be pronounced Oh-she-ah-na, so I've tried to train myself to say it that way. But it sounds kind of pretentious to me. Plus I love the sounds of Oh-she-ann-ee-ah, and I love the idea of, and my experiences in, the part of the world called "Oceania". So perhaps I'm going to retrain myself to say it the way it's spelled. The other way sounds like an affectation.

How odd, I see this exactly the opposite. While knowing what is correct I've always seen & heard the word as Oh she ah na and tend to think adding the "I" is the pretentious way. Especially since the founder and the promotional videos on board say it that way. If I meet someone and they pronounce their name one way but spell it another I figure I'll call them what they call their self.

But since I'm a hillbilly anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt.

Gee, I hope not. I mean, I hope nobody says "Louvra"!

Well they do and most should know I think like the bloke who does the

commentary on the Tour de France , and one of our Tour Guides etc etc .

:

A story is told, he wanted to call the cruise line "Oceana", but the name was in use in other ways, including the name of a P&O ship. So, he settled for adding an "i", but still pronounces it without the "i".

That's the way I remember it.

Marilyn

In the UK we always say Oh - shee -an -ee-a. If we say Oceana, people say, oh is that the P&O Oceana you are going on. We always stress the extra syllable to differentiate between the P&O ship and Oceania the cruiseline. Lots of Brits still haven't heard of it.

All of Oceania's training videos & webinars have pronounced it as "O she ann a". I don't think they would put out all the promo material and pronounce incorrectly.

Cunard is another one - it's pronounced "Q - nard". I often hear agents saying, "Cun - ard". Makes me laugh - like when Alex Trebek pronounces the Caribbean island of Antigua as "An tee GU a" instead of correctly saying, "An tee ga". :D

Archived