Passport Card

The card is technically for land travel between the US and border countries - Canada and Mexico. If for any reason you would need to fly you would be out of luck and would probably have to find an Embassy and get a regular passport. Regular passport is best - your "ticket to the world" that's good for 10 years.

I have to agree with you there.

Technically, you don't even need a passport on a closed loop cruise. One that starts and ends at the same US port. But if you get in trouble and need to fly back, then you are screwed.

We have them for the whole family and have used them on all our cruises. Yes there are drawbacks as mentioned above and we will switch to the regular passport when these expire. However they are simple to use, carry, etc.

a couple of yrs. ago, i thought you HAD to get a passport, so we did for our kids, what happen to that rule, or was I just misinformed?

A government issued birth certificate is still good enough for a "closed loop" cruise. But, you better hope while using it that nothing goes wrong.

so could I use the passport card for a cruise to alaska that stops at Canada? For crossing the border? Thanks!

Yes, assuming that the cruise begins and ends in the same US port. However, if the cruise begin in Vancouver that changes things. If you are driving to Vancouver the passport card will serve for the land crossing. If you are flying to Vancouver a regular passport is needed.

so could I use the passport card for a cruise to alaska that stops at Canada? For crossing the border? Thanks!

Yes, The passport card is suitable for land AND Sea crossings between WHTI countries. Even for one way trips. For example, you could use a passport card and get on a ship in Miami, get off in the Bahamas and return on a ferry.

Aloha,

John

Archived