Food Question - Carnival v Royal Caribbean

LadyRaeStewart

I have what is probably one of the stupidest questions but it actually matters. We are planning our first cruise for spring 2013. I've researched this to death but apparently the sticking point is food.

I understand there is great food that is included but my significant other has it fixed in his mind (because it's what he's been told) that you can literally eat crab and lobster for almost every meal if you want and not just because it is offered in the restaurants where you incur an additional fee, it's a main staple in the restaurants that are included in your purchase.

We will either book Carnival or RC for a western Caribbean seven day cruise departing out of Galveston. Any experienced cruisers who know the answer to this burning question? As crazy as it sounds, it is literally the deal breaker on this decision and I know if we do this then learn this is a once during the cruise offer or only available if we go to a specialty restaurant, it will ruin the entire trip -- every meal will be disappointing for him and that won't make it good for me. Help!!!!

Your SO has got it wrong....crab is seldom on the ships and lobster tail is served only 1 night, on the longer cruises.

If you are happy with food that is found in Outback, Ruby Tuesday, Chilis, etc...you will be fine on the ship. Both lines are similar in food quality.

While you will never go hungry on a ship, the food is basic....taste is so subjective, that no one can tell if YOU will like it or not.

There are some folks who will eat nowhere BUT the specialty restaurants...and others who would never set foot anyplace but the buffet....and everything in between!

You can't cruise for the food, or you will be disappointed.

Maybe he could have had crab and lobster everynight - 30 years ago in a first class dining room. Not on todays cruise ships. There are photos of the new Royal Caribbean menus that have started to be introduced on its ships. Check the Royal Caribbean boards.

As crazy as it sounds, it is literally the deal breaker on this decision and I know if we do this then learn this is a once during the cruise offer or only available if we go to a specialty restaurant, it will ruin the entire trip -- every meal will be disappointing for him and that won't make it good for me. Help!!!!

If this is true, you should not cruise on any mainstream cruiseline (Carnival, RCL, Princess, NCL, Celebrity, HAL, et al.). It might be best for him to adjust his expectations or perhaps consider a land-based vacation along the coast of New England, where the lobster is much better than anything you'll get on a cruise ship.

As crazy as it sounds, it is literally the deal breaker on this decision and I know if we do this then learn this is a once during the cruise offer or only available if we go to a specialty restaurant, it will ruin the entire trip -- every meal will be disappointing for him and that won't make it good for me. Help!!!!
I hope your kidding :cool: But if not, make him CHOOSE which cruise line!

I hope your kidding :cool: But if not, make him CHOOSE which cruise line!

Good point. This way if he is not pleased he cannot place blame on you. RCI and CCL are very similar in general. The buffet area food is just okay but nothing to brag about. The MDR dining is much better but also varies in quality between the ships within either line and very subjective to the palate of the idividual. When the MDRs do offer lobster on the formal.ellegant nights they are usually very small tails and it is not unusual for people to ask for seconds.

Enjoy your cruise

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Archived