Celebrity Century to Hawaii. How is the ride?

grouprx

We have made reservations on the Century for a cruise to Hawaii in Feb of 2014.

We are used to sailing on RCI Voyager and Freedom class ships which are significantly larger than the Century. Since this cruise has 9 sea days out of 15 days I would like to know how the Century rides in the open seas of the Pacific.

Any information would be appreciated.

We have made reservations on the Century for a cruise to Hawaii in Feb of 2014.

We are used to sailing on RCI Voyager and Freedom class ships which are significantly larger than the Century. Since this cruise has 9 sea days out of 15 days I would like to know how the Century rides in the open seas of the Pacific.

Any information would be appreciated.

We were on her last October. Smooth as silk the whole way.

Ken

Just to be prepared, it could be a bit rough the first two days out and the last two days back due to the strong Pacific currents in that area. In all the cruises I've taken in that area, it's always been a bit bumpy.

We had a forward Penthouse deck cabin on our Century Hawaii cruise last Spring and even with this high deck and upfront location, motion wasn't a problem even on the two seadays when the Pacific was fairly rough.

We also had an aft Vista deck balcony on this ship for our TA cruise four years ago and the only problem I recall was that there was lots of vibration, 15 to 30 second worth, when the ship slowed down as when it was entering a port. I noticed the same vibration when in the aft section when Century was slowing down on the Hawaii cruise also. I must mention that the seas were really calm for that Atlantic crossover from the Canary Islands to Miami so we didn't experience any rough seas on that cruise.

You're in the open Pacific, it's really a crap shoot. Last February there were tremendous storms and both HAL and Princess had to add an extra sea day just to get to Hawaii the seas were that bad. Princess had to drop Hilo, not sure which port HAL had to drop. Open Pacific really means you don't know what you're going to get.

There is more to how a ship rides than just size - hull design and the amount of draft also make a difference. I recall when RCI first started building bigger ships, they had a reputation for bouncing around the seas like corks - at the time much worse than the smaller Celebrity Horizon and Zenith ships. All that said, there is likely not all that much difference between Century and RCI mid-sized ships. And unfortunately no one can predict the seas on your cruise. Someone else may have had seas like glass. Doesn't mean you will. Someone else may have had 20 foot waves. Doesn't mean you will. With that many days at sea, best be prepared just in case. good luck and hope you have a great cruise!

Archived