Behind the scenes "See How It's Done" tours?

boogs

We'll be on Reflection in a little over two weeks and I was wondering if Celebrity still does the See How It's Done tours of the ships. Last I heard these tours were a bit pricey at $150, but it was several hours long and visited several off limits areas of the ship. Do they still do these?

We'll be on Reflection in a little over two weeks and I was wondering if Celebrity still does the See How It's Done tours of the ships. Last I heard these tours were a bit pricey at $150, but it was several hours long and visited several off limits areas of the ship. Do they still do these?
Celebrity was doing them this Spring; so I think they are still there now.

Thom

They offer them if there is enough interest. We signed up at the Guest Relations desk on our last cruise on the Millenium. Unfortunately there was not enough interest for them to conduct the tour. They did offer us a bridge tour instead. We had seen the bridge on a prior cruise, so we passed, but at least they offered something.

We plan to try again on the Reflection in December. I do wonder with the ship being so new, if they will be ready to conduct this type of tour.

This is another Celebrity program that seems to be here today, gone tomorrow and/or available sporadically. The other program that seems to have disappeared is the "enjoy the ship on your departure day" where you could stay on board, have lunch and then go to your late in the day flight for $50 pp or something like that. Seemed like a good idea, but haven't seen it offered recently, even in Europe where they started the program.

I'm also very curious about the behind the scenes tour. Would love to hear from someone who took part in the $150 tour...is it worth it? What do you get to see?

We did not do that but for $75. we were on the bridge when it was actually sailing out of St Thomas. There are only 12 people allowed, you meet for cocktails first then you are taken to the bridge where you are invited to the meeting with the Captain, his crew& the coastguard they go over every segment of the trip to the next port for us it was Fort Lauderdale so for us it was a lot of maps, weather etc., to go over. Especially backing out past another ship.

I won't go into all the details but it was well worth the money, we were actually on the bridge until we were out in open seas about an hour & a half. We also got photos with the Captain.

We did not do that but for $75. we were on the bridge when it was actually sailing out of St Thomas. There are only 12 people allowed, you meet for cocktails first then you are taken to the bridge where you are invited to the meeting with the Captain, his crew& the coastguard they go over every segment of the trip to the next port for us it was Fort Lauderdale so for us it was a lot of maps, weather etc., to go over. Especially backing out past another ship.

I won't go into all the details but it was well worth the money, we were actually on the bridge until we were out in open seas about an hour & a half. We also got photos with the Captain.

New maritime rules put into affect after the Concordia disaster has eliminated this. From an article at http://icsclass.org/costa-concordia-new-safety-measures-announced

".... the bridge will be out of bounds to all visitors while the ship is manoeuvring or when increased vigilance is required but will be allowed at other times. Reports have claimed a Moldovan woman was invited onto the bridge by Schettino shortly before the vessel hit rocks and ran aground."

New maritime rules put into affect after the Concordia disaster has eliminated this. From an article at http://icsclass.org/costa-concordia-new-safety-measures-announced

".... the bridge will be out of bounds to all visitors while the ship is manoeuvring or when increased vigilance is required but will be allowed at other times. Reports have claimed a Moldovan woman was invited onto the bridge by Schettino shortly before the vessel hit rocks and ran aground."

Prior to the Concordia, Captain's would often invite those who joined him at the Captain's Table to visit the Bridge as the ship left port. I was fortuante to be on the Bridge as Eclipse left Lisbon. The conversation between the Pilot and Captain was quie interesting. A passenger just sitting on the deck would never realize how tricky the current could be. The Chief Engineer would likewise invite his table to the Engine Control Room. I spoke to one I knew about inviting some first time cruisers I met and was told that he would love to, but that has also been discontinued.

The “See How It’s Done Tour” visits the bridge, mooring deck, crew gym, theater, engine control room, prep rooms and the main dining room galley. At each area of the tour, guests can interact with Celebrity crew members. Each tour is followed by a wine-paired lunch hosted by an officer in the main dining room.

On the Solstice, the cost was $150 per person.

Archived