LIVE from the Vision of the Seas Sailing 5 Oct 2012

Electric Locomotives, called "Mules" tow the ships through the locks and also keep them centered so they don't rub along the sides of the locks.

IMG_0445-2.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IN the photo of the track below, on the bottom you can see a "slit" between two pieces of wood. The "Mules" extend a "slider" down through that slit to pick up electrical power. The power returns through the rails which are grounded.

Between the rails you see a raised section with zillions of little round cross pieces. A "cog" or "gear" on the bottom of the "Mules" engages this to give them plenty of power to move the ships.

IMG_0448.jpg

My Dad owned a machine shop and when I was little he made the "wheels" for the Mules (probably about 15-20 years ago) I remember him explaining to me how they worked and how the ships got pulled through instead of sailing through. He has been gone for almost 10 years now, and it has been a dream of mine to witness this process! Thank you so much for sharing and bringing back good memories!:rolleyes:

Jim and Judith,

Had a great party for about fifty people in my suite on the Freedom. It was a lot of fun, wish you had been there. Miss you guys, but am glad you're having fun. I can't believe that you are all most ready to come back through the canal. My how time flies.

Enjoy.

Rev

Edited by RevSmith

WOW! Now I know where the term "Sea Change" came from!

It sure changed her about mid day.The wind is classified on the TV as a "Strong Breeze" and is coming at the ship from a bit off the Port Bow.

Our wake is littered with hats!

I am trying to upload photos...

THE crew is starting to stack up and tie down the lounge chairs.

Trainman, you must have sailed thru a '' Tehantepeccer''...the funnel wind that blows from the Western Carribean thru a gap in the Mountain Range in Mexico...and wisks right into Gulfo de Tehantepec and the Pacific

Ocean,near the port of Salina Cruz. Bridge officers always have a fit trying to assess what is due to come out there...and often are met with a brisk wind, hits you right at the bow....

My opinion.

Cheers

Absolutely love your live review, so well written and down to earth.;)

Keep it up:)

Enough politics please. Jim has a right to his opinions. Please respect them and stop with the negative comments. They are ruining the thread.

I have enjoyed my first Trainman live review, and am enjoying every post. This one kept calling me though to respond... So I came pages back and found it. Darkwolfe, I agree that everyone gets to respect each others political preferences. But if Jim post something...then it is open for responses. If he didn't want comments, then don't post. End. And it has certainly not ruined the thread.

Last night was another Formal Night and neither of us felt like getting dressed up so we went back to the Windjammer for Dinner.

I am glad we did because they had carved Lamb and it was excellent!

IMG_1497.jpg

Judith had some interesting looking Pork Chops. They were very spicy with some sort of secret coating. Judith didn't like them but I did. (Can you say subjective?)

IMG_1498.jpg

I had the Bread Pudding for desert again. It is absolutely decadent!

IMG_1503.jpg

Trainman, you must have sailed thru a '' Tehantepeccer''...the funnel wind that blows from the Western Carribean thru a gap in the Mountain Range in Mexico...and wisks right into Gulfo de Tehantepec and the Pacific

Ocean,near the port of Salina Cruz. Bridge officers always have a fit trying to assess what is due to come out there...and often are met with a brisk wind, hits you right at the bow....

My opinion.

Cheers

Absolutely love your live review, so well written and down to earth.;)

Keep it up:)

Thanks c-legs,

That explains a lot! About 6 pm yesterday the wind died down and things were back to normal.

Jim and Judith,

Had a great party for about fifty people in my suite on the Freedom. It was a lot of fun, wish you had been there. Miss you guys, but am glad you're having fun. I can't believe that you are all most ready to come back through the canal. My how time flies.

Enjoy.

Rev

Rev,

We are sorry we missed your party.

You really need to book these two cruises as back-to-back in 2013.

The most enjoyable cruises we have ever been on!

The vision is a great ship and will be even better after its refit next year.

They also have fresh made (I can't remember the name) made from rolled up rice and raw fish and stuff.

IMG_1512.jpg

MMMMM,.....Sushi. They usually have a few different rolls that vary- some raw fish like salmon, but lots of cooked. RC ships that have Izumi on board are fantastic!! Thanks for the great pics Jim!

Nice, I see they also have Asian stir fry!! :-)

Edited by CruiseDivaNJ

Rev,

We are sorry we missed your party.

You really need to book these two cruises as back-to-back in 2013.

The most enjoyable cruises we have ever been on!

The vision is a great ship and will be even better after its refit next year.

I plan to, but I can't book anything until the fall of 2013 because of my Washington, DC /Manhattan/North Shore, Long Island trip that is going to take us away for about a month. And now because of London being born, we are not sure about staying as long. We have to wait and see how she progresses. Being born at 28/29 months, little London has a lot of growing to do. But Pat assures me she is doing even better than the doctors expected. We are all so excited for Sarah.

Rev

I plan to, but I can't book anything until the fall of 2013 because of my Washington, DC /Manhattan/North Shore, Long Island trip that is going to take us away for about a month. And now because of London being born, we are not sure about staying as long. We have to wait and see how she progresses. Being born at 28/29 months, little London has a lot of growing to do. But Pat assures me she is doing even better than the doctors expected. We are all so excited for Sarah.

Rev

Do you mean 28/29 weeks:eek:

Trainman-2, we ablolutely love your review and pictures. I don't know if you already mentioned it but DW was just wondering , when you go on a longer cruise like this , do you just pack for 7 days and use onboard laundry services or do you pack for more days. Hope this question is not too personal , but we have not taken a long cruise , but are planning to..

Thanks