watch out for lies

mercury51

this is the second time that summit purser employees lied to me about disembarking. i had a 10am flight out of vancouver. i was given beige 4 tags,was told this was first off color tags. at 8.30am still on ship, i just walked off, of course my luggage wasn't there, beige 1-3, purple 1-4 pink 1-2 all there before beige 4 i could not wait for my luggage, had to make my flight. left my luggage. it showed up today at their expense. this same thing happened 2 months ago on the mercury that time i waited for my luggage and it cost me 400.00 more for my plane ticket. don't believe the desk personel, i was nice, didn't want to cause the people any problems, when i got home was told next time DEMAND to speak to hotel director. i am an elite member with over 35 cruises on celebrity, never happened before. i think someone has authorize these people to say anything figuring once your off it is no longer their problem. watch out

this is the second time that summit purser employees lied to me about disembarking. i had a 10am flight out of vancouver. i was given beige 4 tags,was told this was first off color tags. at 8.30am still on ship, i just walked off, of course my luggage wasn't there, beige 1-3, purple 1-4 pink 1-2 all there before beige 4 i could not wait for my luggage, had to make my flight. left my luggage. it showed up today at their expense. this same thing happened 2 months ago on the mercury that time i waited for my luggage and it cost me 400.00 more for my plane ticket. don't believe the desk personel, i was nice, didn't want to cause the people any problems, when i got home was told next time DEMAND to speak to hotel director. i am an elite member with over 35 cruises on celebrity, never happened before. i think someone has authorize these people to say anything figuring once your off it is no longer their problem. watch out

I´m a little curious as my first X cruise is yet to come and my main cruise experience has been on RCCL.

1. On all my cruises departure flight time has been recommended at least noon or 1 pm. So 10:00am seems to me way early. Did you choose this time yourself or did X book the air for you?

I´ve had cruises where debarkation was delayed and started as late as noon.

2. How does the colour code work on X. On other cruises I´ve been on (not only on RCCL) I was asked some days into the cruise about flight times and travel arrangements. According to these the colours have been choosen by the cruise line and given to me. I always got an estimated written schedule with the tags to see in which order colours will be called and what estimated time they will be called. If I thought it would be cutting it close I just walked to the pursers desk to change them.

Is the procedure on X that much different than the one on other lines ???

However after 35 X cruises shouldn´t you know how the procedure works?

I would be under the impression that any colur "4" tags never will be the first ones as the first ones should be colour "1" tags. Am I wrong on this assumption???

this is the second time that summit purser employees lied to me about disembarking. ......

...... i am an elite member with over 35 cruises on celebrity, never happened before.

Again curious, was it the second time they lied at you or did this never happened before.:confused: :confused:

If you have cruised that much, what in the world posessed you to book a 10am flight? Did you not learn from your earlier experience not to book any flight before noon getting off a cruise?

It may have been that the first available tags they had to give you were the beige 4, the other tags may have all been gone by the time you inquired. I find it odd when people accuse others of lying, I prefer to live my life not thinking there are conspiracies against me. Most people are honest and helpful, I doubt anyone intentionally lied to you. There is no way the personnel will absolutely know when a ship is ready for disembarkation. There are too many variables with customs and immigration to assume you will be off a ship at the posted times.

I hope you plan your travel a little more carefully in the future and stop blaming other people for your poor planning.

Do you always book your air that close to disembarkation? With the post-9/11 security, the simple logistics of getting luggage off the vessel, the travel time to the airport, etc., I am not surprised you have missed flights or left without your luggage! If you use a TA (even a so-so one), they would have warned you repeatedly about the tightness of your connection.

I don't mean to be rude or tell you how to travel, but, if you have taken over 35 Celebrity cruises, you should really know to allow more time. I think you have no one to blame but yourself.

I agree, lieing isn't appropriate but I would never book a 10:00am flight.

I know you said you went to Guest Services but I would have been nervous to begin with.....actually, I would never have looked for something that early when I was putting my transportation together.

I booked an 11oclock flight from FLL to LAX.. I did so with a slight reservation, But then realized that a cab ride to the airport is only 10 minutes However 10 am IS a bit early. if the ship doesn’t clear customs for what ever reason and they are running 45 minutes behind schedule then you could get left at the airport..

always

I figure the "lie" was that they were kind and didn't tell you that there was no way you were going to make a 10 AM flight. In Galveston we had priority disembarkation and were part of the earliest groups to get off. Even with that we didn't get to our car and on the road until 10 AM. I would never, ever, never book a flight that early and Celebrity should have told you that. Not blaming them, sounds like they tried to accommodate and it didn't work out. I think it's extremely lucky and very generous of them to move your bags at their expense.

I would never dream of booking a 10:00 am flight. In fact I would not even chance an 11:00 am flight. I hate waiting around for my "color" to be called as much as the next one. But it is wrong to think that Celebrity can or should accomodate everyone who thinks they can avoid this wait, simply by booking an unrealistically early return flight.

I agree, 10 am is way too early. I also am not sure you were lied to either, they get everyone off as they can barring problems with customs.

The real problem I see is this has happened to you more than once. If it happens to you one time perhaps that is just a note that you should consider a later flight.

Never book a flight till after noon and if you get to the airport earlier see if you can fly standby on the earlier flight. Our Horizon cruise a few weeks ago wasn't even scheduled to disembark until 10:00am. We booked a 7:00pm flight home because is was way cheaper than the 1:00pm flight. We were extremely lucky because the ship was able to dock at 7:00am and even with the terrible taxi situation at the port, we were able to fly standby on a 10:40am flight. But I would NEVER have considered booking the 10:40am flight...

Assuming that this took place on May 20th., not only did Summit dock that morning

but also Mercury and Statendam. This would have meant close to 6000 passengers

disembarking. Some of these passengers reported waiting over 2 hours for a taxi to

the airport. I doubt that many of them had booked a 10AM flight. Is wisdom not

supposed to come with experience? How much did it cost Celebrity (and

ultimately, the rest of us eventually) to deliver the bags that you deliberately walked

away from?

You have no gripe w/Celebrity in my opinion. In fact, you should be praising them for delivering your luggage at their expense. If you booked your own flight departing @ 10:00am, I don't believe Celebrity should be held responsible for any expense whatsoever. And with 35 cruises, you certainly know better!

You booked a 10:00 departure? That means you really should've arrived at the airport at 8:00.

You got exactly what you set yourself up for.

Did you learn anything? :confused:

Terry,

Our return flight is 11 that morning....Everyone at Celebrity said I should be fine.. so I hope so, however this thread did teach me a lesson, I just hope I dont have to pay for it March 9th, ;)

always

My guess is the OP doesn't need to hear anymore that he booked his flight home too early, it's been said well and said again (and again).

The lying is atrocious, and he should speak with higherups about it.

15 yard penalties for piling on for a few of you! :)

Terry,

Our return flight is 11 that morning....Everyone at Celebrity said I should be fine.. so I hope so, however this thread did teach me a lesson, I just hope I dont have to pay for it March 9th, ;)

always

If you're speaking about Ft Lauderdale, while 11:00am is still "iffy" you'll probably make it as long as the ship gets in on time. Vancouver is a very different situation, in my opinion. The airport is a considerable distance in Vancouver compared to Ft Lauderdale. Also the taxi lines in Vancouver are not exaggerated...they have been very long every time we've disembarked there. We've never had that problem in Ft Lauderdale. Also, I believe ships generally dock a little earlier in Ft Lauderdale than Vancouver. We sailed into Vancouver last week and didn't dock until 8:30am, with a NCL ship coming in behind us. Every time we've sailed into Ft Lauderdale, we always seemed to be docked very early....say 6:00-7:00am.

What the heck to do expect. It has been said a million times here and even when you book. DON'T BOOK A FLIGHT TILL AFTER NOON. If you want to have a early flight, stay one extra night in a hotel after the cruise, then get your early flight. The cruise line owes you NOTHING...It's your own fault!!

Jeff

Not to beat a dead horse but I was under the impression that at least on RCCL the color coding was just that to categorize the luggage in the holdiing area. Yes it has to do withYOUR leaving the ship but at least on RCCL we have been one of the first off as we have priority debarkation being Diamond C/A and when we got to the pier ALL the luggage was there arranged by color. In fact - 3 days before the cruise ended we were asked for our flight and departure times just for that reason.

I have to agree 10:00 AM is too early to schedule a flight after a cruise ... but I don't understand your luggage not being there when you disembarked. They don't start disemrkation until all luggage is off the ship.

Archived