How low is deck 4?

munchkin002

Ocean view on deck 4, how much above the water are you? Are you right above water line?

Which ship? Here's a picture of the Star. Lifeboats are on Deck 7. Count three decks down to the Deck 4 ocean view porthole cabins. Guesstimating 15-20 feet. Don't know how much the ship's ballast affects the water line.

star-portside.JPG

Something I noticed about NCL vs. Carnival. Carnival starts the first floor that customers use as "1" even though there are levels below that for the staff. NCL includes the staff levels in their numbering. I think the first customer level is 3 for NCL. You may get the impression NCL ships are bigger because they have more levels, but it's more to do with their respective numbering conventions.

We prefer to have a cabin on deck 4, its really peaceful, less movement etc

I was initially worried about engine noise but I should't have. I always sleep like a baby on those beds! So comfy.

If I can find a picture I'll let you have it.

Peaceful and quiet unless you stop at a tender port and you open your door in the morning with 100s in line down the hall waiting to board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Deck 4 cabins are normally quiet. And for a smooth ride in rough seas, midship on that deck, especially in an inside, is the smoothest place on the ship. That's one reason the medical center is usually there.

The exceptions are as noted above, when tendering. Engine noise is not a problem. If you are far foreward, when docking you will briefly hear the use of the bow-thruster's, and when anchoring hear the anchor chains sliding....

Peaceful and quiet unless you stop at a tender port and you open your door in the morning with 100s in line down the hall waiting to board.

Its peaceful when it matters though, it doesn't bother me at all. I never rush off the ship to be honest, I like to let the masses off first.

When the water is rough, the ship is under-way, and you have a port hole room at the front of the ship, you get a great view of the water going past the ship.

BIL had one of those on deck 4 FWD on the Bahamas cruise and it felt like watching those old movies with the WWII submarines in action color - "dive, dive, dive" LOL - during rough seas.

Otherwise, they said it was great to fall asleep to with the rocking motion - the anchoring at GSC served as their morning wake-up call. Hehe !

BIL had one of those on deck 4 FWD on the Bahamas cruise and it felt like watching those old movies with the WWII submarines in action color - "dive, dive, dive" LOL - during rough seas.

Otherwise, they said it was great to fall asleep to with the rocking motion - the anchoring at GSC served as their morning wake-up call. Hehe !

I miss the rocking. Lately, I've picked cabins that were so steady. So what's best for rocking? Higher decks and forward?

Waves rushing by a window is a bit much for me.:eek:

We had a deck 4 portal cabin on the Jewel once: you could't really get much of a view, but it allowed a suprising amount of natural light in to the cabin. During heavy rolling seas the waves would appear to be higher than we were, and would break against the ship and swirl up around us ... it was like being inside a washing machine at times :D

I miss the rocking. Lately, I've picked cabins that were so steady. So what's best for rocking? Higher decks and forward?

Waves rushing by a window is a bit much for me.:eek:

Ships don't rock like they used to. The old rule of low and midship was critical the bigger ships were 35000GT. With most new ships over 90,000GT and unless the seas are extreme you just don't get that old rock you to sleep anywhere. The most motion will be higher and forward. The EpicHaven could not get much higher or forward but I felt almost no motion on her first transatlantic

The Pearls first crossing a different story. Stuck in a storm for 3 days 90kt winds and 40ft seas they gave those booked in the OS deck 10 forward an inside to sleep in. They were getting tossed from their bed.

Ships don't rock like they used to. The old rule of low and midship was critical the bigger ships were 35000GT. With most new ships over 90,000GT and unless the seas are extreme you just don't get that old rock you to sleep anywhere. The most motion will be higher and forward. The EpicHaven could not get much higher or forward but I felt almost no motion on her first transatlantic

The Pearls first crossing a different story. Stuck in a storm for 3 days 90kt winds and 40ft seas they gave those booked in the OS deck 10 forward an inside to sleep in. They were getting tossed from their bed.

Wow to this and the porthole covers and people lining up too. Wonder if they give OBC for covering up the portholes. :rolleyes: Thanks for sharing. :eek:

We had a deck 4 portal cabin on the Jewel once: you could't really get much of a view, but it allowed a suprising amount of natural light in to the cabin. During heavy rolling seas the waves would appear to be higher than we were, and would break against the ship and swirl up around us ... it was like being inside a washing machine at times
You make it sound fun! Maybe someday. Thanks.:p

When the water is rough, the ship is under-way, and you have a port hole room at the front of the ship, you get a great view of the water going past the ship.

We have had friends on Deck 4 fwd and in rough seas It looks like you are in a washing machine!!!

Got a free upgrade from an inside to a porthole on my forthcoming Colonial America cruise on the Dawn. It sounds like I'm in for an adventure, as our cabin is Deck 4 forward! :eek: We're far enough back that we're in the straight part of the hull, so hopefully we won't be able to hear the swells breaking on the bow of the ship. It will be fun, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Got a free upgrade from an inside to a porthole on my forthcoming Colonial America cruise on the Dawn. It sounds like I'm in for an adventure, as our cabin is Deck 4 forward! :eek: We're far enough back that we're in the straight part of the hull, so hopefully we won't be able to hear the swells breaking on the bow of the ship. It will be fun, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

I booked a 12 day on the Dawn ocean view GTY last minute and ended up with 4500, the last cabin forward against the bulkhead. I had dreams of a wild noisy cruise. In the end the Upsell fairy saved me and put me in a mini suite for $500. There were none when I booked and no balcony cabins either.

Archived