Things you wish someone told you before your first Baltic cruise

Tennant

Just back from the Baltics and just wanted to let everyone who is about to go that I had no problem using my US credit card in any of the countries. I used it even at a local mom and pop type market to get some water and soda pre cruise in Copenhagen. Just had to mention that I didn't have a pin and never had a issue. I used my debit card at the ATM's though (again no issue at any ATM).

Regarding getting currency in advance, I didn't find it necessary. Once I landed in Copenhagen I went to an ATM. I did have a few Euros left over from a previous trip, but easily found ATM's in Germany and Tallin (didn't look in Helsinki as I already had enough Euros). In Russia everything was priced in Rubles, Euros and US dollars so need to get Rubles. As for Stockholm, I just used my credit card, but again if I needed a little cash I saw plenty of ATM's.

My one bit of advice would be to be prepared for any weather. Germany was very cold and rainy and everywhere else was warm and sunny. I'm talking T shirt weather. Our first day in Russia was about 80. I wish I had bought a small tube of sunscreen as I did get sunburned on my face from all the great weather we had.

For those about to leave - enjoy your trip it is a fantastic trip with wonderful sites and experiences.

Just back from the Baltics and just wanted to let everyone who is about to go that I had no problem using my US credit card in any of the countries. I used it even at a local mom and pop type market to get some water and soda pre cruise in Copenhagen. Just had to mention that I didn't have a pin and never had a issue. I used my debit card at the ATM's though (again no issue at any ATM).

Regarding getting currency in advance, I didn't find it necessary. Once I landed in Copenhagen I went to an ATM. I did have a few Euros left over from a previous trip, but easily found ATM's in Germany and Tallin (didn't look in Helsinki as I already had enough Euros). In Russia everything was priced in Rubles, Euros and US dollars so need to get Rubles. As for Stockholm, I just used my credit card, but again if I needed a little cash I saw plenty of ATM's.

My one bit of advice would be to be prepared for any weather. Germany was very cold and rainy and everywhere else was warm and sunny. I'm talking T shirt weather. Our first day in Russia was about 80. I wish I had bought a small tube of sunscreen as I did get sunburned on my face from all the great weather we had.

For those about to leave - enjoy your trip it is a fantastic trip with wonderful sites and experiences.

Thanks so much for sharing! I've been watching the weather and just purchased a couple pairs of capris yesterday since it's been so warm in the port cities.

I've already got some currency for the different countries, so no concern for me there, but good to know your CC worked just fine.

Thanks!

Thanks Puggymom for the update. I, too , have never had an issue with cards. There's a lot of good advice to read and heed. But in the end I think we will be fine and no need to fret.

I realize the using a credit card for cash in an ATM is different than using a debit card. But if someone else reading the info doesn't realize it... They may be quite surprised to find out even Capital One will have fees and higher costs under those circumstances.

I also was wondering about shoes, and this thread has been helpful. But I'm wondering what kind of shoes to wear in the evenings on the ship. Is going to be so chilly that sandals would look out of place (and wouldn't be warm enough)?

I try to pack lightly, and shoes take a lot of room. I'm not the type to dress up more than necessary, and I plan to wear black pants for formal nights, probably jeans or khakis the other nights. Do you think sandals would be OK? My husband, by the way, will definitely be more casually dressed than I will, no matter the setting!

I apologize if this has been addressed, and I look forward to your responses. I have been impressed with much of the advice I have found on here!

How much are you supposed to tip tour guides and drivers? I read that the amount the tour company sites state of 10 and 5 percent respectively is excessive. They are taking advantage of US customary tipping and that amount i would be too much. In one thread I read that if a russian tour guide was getting 10% that would be around a month pay in a couple of days. Is that correct? Do they force you to pay exactly 10 and 5 percent? Just wondering.

How much are you supposed to tip tour guides and drivers? I read that the amount the tour company sites state of 10 and 5 percent respectively is excessive. They are taking advantage of US customary tipping and that amount i would be too much. In one thread I read that if a russian tour guide was getting 10% that would be around a month pay in a couple of days. Is that correct? Do they force you to pay exactly 10 and 5 percent? Just wondering.

In the Baltic and Scandinavia, tipping is not customary because people can actually live on their salary. If you feel that you have got some good service, tip whatever you feel is right, otherwise dont.

I don't know how they would force you to give a tip. As Ljunggren indicated, tip what you feel comfortable with.

Interestingly, on Alla's website, it says the suggested tip is 10% and to give it to the guide and the guide will share with the driver. But, on the documents they had us print out, it says the suggested tip is 10% for the guide and 5% for the driver. I do believe the tipping culture in the U.S. is what influences suggested tipping like that. I don't know what we'll tip--will wait and see what the service is like. But, if it's as good as people have said, I'll likely tip the suggested amount.

You tip what you feel is appropriate. 10% is a good guideline depending on what you are paying. For our tour, our total price was $600, so tipped $60---$40 for the guide and $20 for the driver. We gave it all in an envelop to the guide but mentioned that the breakdown was in the envelop.

We had some one posting here a while back, who felt that the tour was so great he tipped 25%.

Again, there is no written thing on this and they will not feed you to the fish if you don't want to tip anything. Tipping is done when they bring you back to the ship on the final day of your tour, so they really do not know what you are giving them.

And no matter what some others think, tour owners do not show up at the end to insure that their people get tipped so they can share some of the money.

Tipping is optional, but most do it. And it is none of our business what guides make and how they spend their money.

Cheers

Len

I also was wondering about shoes, and this thread has been helpful. But I'm wondering what kind of shoes to wear in the evenings on the ship. Is going to be so chilly that sandals would look out of place (and wouldn't be warm enough)?

I try to pack lightly, and shoes take a lot of room. I'm not the type to dress up more than necessary, and I plan to wear black pants for formal nights, probably jeans or khakis the other nights. Do you think sandals would be OK? My husband, by the way, will definitely be more casually dressed than I will, no matter the setting!

I apologize if this has been addressed, and I look forward to your responses. I have been impressed with much of the advice I have found on here!

During the day, most people opt for some good walking shoes or sneakers. You WILL be doing a lot of walking in ports. I would really not recommend sandals for your time in ports, but many do use them.

As for your time on the ship, depending on when you are cruising and if you want to spend a lot of time outdoors on the ship, sandals might be a bit cool. But if you are used to that, and wear sandals all the time, that might not be a big problem. Sandals usually don't take up much room if you want to include them in your packing, but if you are cruising early in the season or later on, IMVHO, I would pack a pair of shoes you might just wear to dinner every night.

See, for us men it's easy, one pair of sneakers and a pair of loafers and we are all set. :D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

During the day, most people opt for some good walking shoes or sneakers. You WILL be doing a lot of walking in ports. I would really not recommend sandals for your time in ports, but many do use them.

As for your time on the ship, depending on when you are cruising and if you want to spend a lot of time outdoors on the ship, sandals might be a bit cool. But if you are used to that, and wear sandals all the time, that might not be a big problem. Sandals usually don't take up much room if you want to include them in your packing, but if you are cruising early in the season or later on, IMVHO, I would pack a pair of shoes you might just wear to dinner every night.

See, for us men it's easy, one pair of sneakers and a pair of loafers and we are all set. :D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

Len, did you do any tours with SPB in any of the other ports or just St P? We're touring with Alla in both St P and Berlin. As I understand it, we pay for both tours when we're in St P, but I'm assuming we'll tip the Berlin guide and driver after that tour. Just wondering what your experience was if you did additional tours.

thanks!

Jayne

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

Can we change the name of this thread to "Everything you wanted to know about credit cards and debit cards and chips and pin numbers" and start a new thread called "OTHER things you wish someone told you before your first Baltic cruise" ?!?

can we change the name of this thread to "everything you wanted to know about credit cards and debit cards and chips and pin numbers" and start a new thread called "other things you wish someone told you before your first baltic cruise" ?!?

exactly,,:)

Cheers

Len[

We walked about 65 miles over the last 11 days during our June 3 sailing. I had walking shoes for on shore, sandal çrocs for evening, and regular crocs for on the ship w / wo socks.

Edited by Alaskanb

Looking for recommendations for great activities for 10 year olds on Baltics Port calls. Searched this thread, and saw no discussion on it yet. OK, Tivoli, Tivoli, Tivoli. But - what else? :confused: Stockholm? Tallinn? Helsinki? Warnemunde? (already have NCL's 2-day tour booked for St. P). Would appreciate any recommendations! Sailing June 21 on NCL Star.

Looking for recommendations for great activities for 10 year olds on Baltics Port calls. Searched this thread, and saw no discussion on it yet. OK, Tivoli, Tivoli, Tivoli. But - what else? :confused: Stockholm? Tallinn? Helsinki? Warnemunde? (already have NCL's 2-day tour booked for St. P). Would appreciate any recommendations! Sailing June 21 on NCL Star.

Hmm 10 year olds, perhaps almost too old for Junibacken, but maybe the toy museum could be of interest?

Its just a couple hundred meters from where your ship docks in Stockholm.

Admission price is 40SEK (€4,6) for adults and 20SEK (€2,3) for kids ages 7-18.

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=%C3%96stra+Tegelviksslingan&daddr=Tegelviksgatan+22,+116+41+Stockholm&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.315022,18.09754&spn=0.003499,0.014795&sll=59.314913,18.096596&sspn=0.003499,0.014795&geocode=FfIXiQMdAh4UAQ%3BFfwFiQMdWikUASnnyHK9BHhfRjGTFT4ylibjuw&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=17&z=17

Then there's the Museum of technology (Tekniska museet) which however is at the other end of the city.

http://www.tekniskamuseet.se/1/50_en.html

Bus tickets need to be bought before boarding the bus, closest place to buy is at Söder Tobak at Bondegatan 57;

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Tegelviksgatan+22,+Stockholm&daddr=Bondegatan+57,+116+34+Stockholm,+Stockholms+l%C3%A4n&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.312192,18.096907&spn=0.006998,0.02959&sll=59.311797,18.097787&sspn=0.006998,0.02959&geocode=FfwFiQMdWikUASnnyHK9BHhfRjGTFT4ylibjuw%3BFZMOiQMd9QkUASlFD06MAnhfRjFtBwDy3OMfaA&oq=Tegelviksgatan+22,+Stockholm&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=16

This how you get from the Tobacco store to Tekniska museet:

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Bondegatan+57,+116+34+Stockholm,+Stockholms+l%C3%A4n&daddr=Tekniska+museet,+Museiv%C3%A4gen,+Stockholm&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.323776,18.095427&spn=0.027982,0.118361&sll=59.323609,18.096234&sspn=0.027982,0.118361&geocode=FZMOiQMd9QkUASlFD06MAnhfRjFtBwDy3OMfaA%3BFYJXiQMdbnoUASFAB5Ssppz6NSmxRfQ3sIJfRjFAB5Ssppz6NQ&oq=Tekniskam&t=h&dirflg=r&ttype=now&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ltm&z=14&start=0

When you get out from the tobacco store, go to the right down Erstagatan. The bus stop is about 100m down the street.

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=Erstagatan+17,+Stockholm&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.313603,18.090231&spn=0.001237,0.003699&sll=59.314390,18.090325&layer=c&cbp=13,14.66,,0,2.98&cbll=59.31375,18.090214&hnear=Erstagatan+17,+116+36+Stockholm,+Stockholms+l%C3%A4n&t=h&z=19&start=0&geocode=FZMOiQMd9QkUASlFD06MAnhfRjFtBwDy3OMfaA%3BFYJXiQMdbnoUASFAB5Ssppz6NSmxRfQ3sIJfRjFAB5Ssppz6NQ&panoid=80gO1Pg_wsAJc-Z9qvw-Kg

From Tekniska museet back to the ship, take bus #69 or #69K towards Tomteboda, get off at the central station and

change to bus #53 towards Henriksdalsberget or Finnberget, get off at Londonviadukten.

The only question is if you can buy bus tickets for both the trip to Tekniska museet and the trip back to the ship.

Just an FYI. I am really passing this on so readers can understand the cost of money. Again, people need to do what makes them most comfortable.

Here is an example based on today's rates, . . .

Wells Fargo today sells Euros at a 1.3801 USB rate. This means, to buy 100 Euro today, it would cost you $138.01 USD.

Source:Wells Fargo Foreign Currency Rates

Visa today uses an exchange rate of 1.312769 to USB. This means a 100 Euro charge today would result in a Credit Card charge of $131.28 USD. This is prior to any bank fees (usually a percentage). If you used a Visa with a 0% Foreign Transaction Fee, you would pay the $131.28, . . . with a 1% FTF would be $132.59, . . . and even a 3% FTF would be $135.22. 3% is about the highest added by banks.

Source: Visa Exchange Rate

Wells Fargo is selling Euro today at a 5.12% premium over the going Visa Credit Card Rate. More than the charge on a credit card, even those with a 3% FTF. Worse, when you return, to sell your Euro back to the bank, they are going to very likely go 5% in the other direction of the wholesale rate (Visa Rate). Meaning, if you returned with the 100 Euro you bought originally for $138.01, you will get ~$124.72 if the Visa rate was the same. The $14 - the bank is keeping as their 'fee'. The banks will just tell you the rates have changed, . . . which is not true.

ATMs use a similar approach: a FTF fee added to the wholesale rate, . . . plus some banks add a fee on top of the exchange. You simply need to ask your bank what the fees are so you know in advance if it is a good option. Here are two examples:

Capital One (at 0% FTF, no ATM fee): 100 Euro out of an ATM today is $131.28. USD

XYZ Bank (1% FTF, + $5 per transaction fee): 100 Euro today is $137.59. I think this is Bank of America outside of their Global Alliance, but could not verify the 1% FTF.

Finally, one additional caution to pass along on using Credit Cards. Some merchants will 'convert' the bill to your home currency (say to USD). They tell you this is for your convenience. Never accept this, and ask the merchant to re-run the charge in their local currency. What has happened here is you have contracted with a 3rd party to convert the money. They use a very unfavorable rate. Both the merchant and the 3rd party share in the profit. Worse, your bank will likely still add on the FTF to the transactions. There are cases where this has amounted to over a 10% premium to the purchase when this happens.

Sorry for the long winded post, . . . just thought the questions were ask so would try to add some details with examples to the real cost of buying/selling money. While the difference in the 100 Euro example is not great, . . . the more you spend, the faster the true cost adds up. For what it is worth, I'm not a banker, . . . I just have a good understanding on how this really works.

My Recommendation:

- Skip 'the need' to buy money before you leave. Take some USD with you. In an emergency, you can always exchange (at a very bad rate).

- Use a credit card for big items, and an ATM for cash as you go.

- get an ATM card with a low FTF and no ATM fee. Again, Capital One (need a bank account with them) and Credit Unions are often recommended.

- get a credit card with a low FTF. Capital One and Credit Unions are often recommended. Here is a list (I have not verified) No Fee Credit Cards

- Ensure the merchant runs credit card purchases in their local currency.

Here is a good source for additional reading.

Avoiding Foreign Transaction Fees

And most importantly, . . . enjoy the cruise!!!

WOW! Please join us on our cruise! I love knowing this information and both my husband and I are checking calling our credit card companies while I type. Thank you so much for the heads-up on everything!

This is a wonderful cruise and the following may be useful.

1. In St. Petersburg, we took the 2 full day excursions from ship and it was a great excursion, It seems expensive ($350??) but for two days, 2 lunches, easy access to entry sites, a guide who was excellent and convenience, we thought it was worth the money. Take an umbrella, water, and extra capacity for photos. You will need them.

2. We did self guided walk arounds in Tallin, Copenhagen and Germany town that is something like Warnemundon. We opted not to take long trip to Berlin and we were glad we didn't. The local town was interesting and the beach area was pretty.

3. When in Copenhagen, be sure to se the Little Mermaid which is not too far from ship and delightful.

4. If you want a good book to read that is historical fiction, but interesting and you will learn a bit of history about Catherine the Great. Read Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert Massie. It is excellent and easy read.

5. We flew to Amsterdam and took shuttle to cruise ship...very easy and worth the money after overnight flight. Avoids hotel and food costs. We have been to Amsterdam many times and did not want to see it again.

6. In Helsinki we took excursion to Porvo and loved it. It is a nice little village with preetty shops and easy walking around. Also saw some country areas enroute.

This was one of our favorite cruises. Hope you enjy it.

This is a wonderful cruise and the following may be useful.

1. In St. Petersburg, we took the 2 full day excursions from ship and it was a great excursion, It seems expensive ($350??) but for two days, 2 lunches, easy access to entry sites, a guide who was excellent and convenience, we thought it was worth the money. Take an umbrella, water, and extra capacity for photos. You will need them.

2. We did self guided walk arounds in Tallin, Copenhagen and Germany town that is something like Warnemundon. We opted not to take long trip to Berlin and we were glad we didn't. The local town was interesting and the beach area was pretty.

3. When in Copenhagen, be sure to se the Little Mermaid which is not too far from ship and delightful.

4. If you want a good book to read that is historical fiction, but interesting and you will learn a bit of history about Catherine the Great. Read Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert Massie. It is excellent and easy read.

5. We flew to Amsterdam and took shuttle to cruise ship...very easy and worth the money after overnight flight. Avoids hotel and food costs. We have been to Amsterdam many times and did not want to see it again.

6. In Helsinki we took excursion to Porvo and loved it. It is a nice little village with preetty shops and easy walking around. Also saw some country areas enroute.

This was one of our favorite cruises. Hope you enjy it.

Thanks for the recommendations. One note: Catherine the Great by Massie is not historical fiction--it's a narrative biography. I read Peter the Great by the same author and really enjoyed his style of writing. I wanted to also read Catherine the Great but just didn't have time. :(

Just returned from our Baltic cruise and I would recommend bringing some local money in each port. There were a few occasions where you just want to grab a drink/snack or need to use the restroom where you will need to have some local money. We exchanged $50.00 for each port at our local bank. Came in real handy and avoided trying to exchange money on the ship. Also, RCCL did not exchange money for Russia so be prepared for that. Some had said the ATM's at a couple of ports had run out of money as well.

Dolfans from Miami