Things you wish someone told you before your first Baltic cruise

Tennant

We did the HO HO bus in Helsinki. It is very convenient. Takes you to all the main attractions.

In Stockholm they also have a HO HO bus, but we did not use it as the most interesting place there is Gamla Stan and most of it is a walking area. So we preferred to spend more time there. As for the Vasa Museum - it is on Djuragarten island. We used a boat (ferry) to get there. It goes from Slussen and is part of the public transport in Stockholm. You may Google "Duragarten Ferry".

What were some of the things you enjoyed in Helsinki?

-Toni

I am having difficulty finding a walking tour of Bruges that I can print. We're taking a minivan cab into Bruges, and I was hoping to find a guided tour. We won't be there for the one offered by the tourist office. We'll do a tour on our own, but had hoped for local commentary.
Brugge is lovely to just wander around. There are lovely little restaurants and bars (try one or two of the hundreds of differnt beers). Get on one of the many canal boats. I love Brugge. Ghent is my favourite though if you were staying longer (we travelled there previously).

We couldn't book a taxi but had no difficulty finding one at the port. We just arranged for him to meet us in the square at a certain time o take us back.

We are booked on a Baltics tour. Very excited. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Here is what Tom, of Tom's Port Guides says:

BELGIUM Brugge (Zeebrugge) Port Guide

Zeebrugge is a huge commercial port. You can't walk through the port. Hire a taxi to downtown Brugge or take a bus from the ship to Blankenberge for a 15 minute train ride. Brugge is a charming, relaxing, exceptionally clean, pedestrian-friendly city with striking architecture, beautiful parks, many museums, churches, and places to shop. Be sure to buy some delicious chocolate. A canal boat ride is a must.

Click here to view, print or "save" the guide (4.2 MB) Brugge_Zeebrugge-08-28-2012

Look at www. tomsportguides .com (extra spaces in there to prevent removal....)

• 3 weeks later...
What were some of the things you enjoyed in Helsinki?

-Toni

Well, we just loved the Rock Church. There is nothing like it. I would not call it beautiful, but it is very special. I think the Scandinavians have some kind of special attitude to their nature the way they combine it with architecture. The church is really made inside a big rock and has a copper wire sealing which makes music sound beautiful. We just sat there and listened. Stayed there for more than half an hour.

Also we went up the Olympic Stadium tower. It is the tallest point you can get to in Helsinki and you can see all the city from there.

We enjoyed the Sibelius monument, but mostly because the walk in the park was very pleasant. The monument itself is fascinating, but I believe you have to be Scandinavian to completely understand and appreciate it.

And we liked the central square - I do not remember the name of the big cathedral there, but it has a very tall and wide stairway in front of it and we liked how a lot of people just sat on these stairs and talked to each other. It looked like it was usual to do it and we tried as well (though just sitting on the stairs is not what we usually would do :)). A funny little detail, but that is when we really felt ourselves at ease in Helsinki.

Well, we just loved the Rock Church. There is nothing like it. I would not call it beautiful, but it is very special. I think the Scandinavians have some kind of special attitude to their nature the way they combine it with architecture. The church is really made inside a big rock and has a copper wire sealing which makes music sound beautiful. We just sat there and listened. Stayed there for more than half an hour.

Also we went up the Olympic Stadium tower. It is the tallest point you can get to in Helsinki and you can see all the city from there.

We enjoyed the Sibelius monument, but mostly because the walk in the park was very pleasant. The monument itself is fascinating, but I believe you have to be Scandinavian to completely understand and appreciate it.

And we liked the central square - I do not remember the name of the big cathedral there, but it has a very tall and wide stairway in front of it and we liked how a lot of people just sat on these stairs and talked to each other. It looked like it was usual to do it and we tried as well (though just sitting on the stairs is not what we usually would do :)). A funny little detail, but that is when we really felt ourselves at ease in Helsinki.

I think you mean the Lutheran Cathedral in Senate Square

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1062.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1063.jpg

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

I read a lot of posts about good walking shoes .. thick soles, etc.

Any suggestions of a good walking shoe?

I was looking at a Clark Wave Trek/Wave Walk

Any suggestions from anyone on a good, thick soled shoe???

I have been told tennis shoes are "frowned upon" in European countries and also labels you as a tourist ... IDK ...

Any response/help is appreciated .. we are leaving end of June.

Thank you.

Debbie.

I have been told tennis shoes are "frowned upon" in European countries and also labels you as a tourist ... IDK ...

Thank you.

Debbie.

I am not sure that you would be frowned upon for wearing athletic shoes in Northern Europe, but would likely stick out as a tourist. Shoes that look like they are made for running are typically used for running only, but casual sneakers are commonly worn by locals.

Thank you.

Debbie.

It use to be any type of sneaker/tennis would place you as an American. Then 6-7 years ago it switched to white sneakers/tennis you are an American. Now, unless you are in the 50+ year range, you can get away most shoe types. I avoid white, and those bright color ones; I also tend to stick with ones that are darker.

Thank you.

Debbie.

I am not sure that you would be frowned upon for wearing athletic shoes in Northern Europe, but would likely stick out as a tourist. Shoes that look like they are made for running are typically used for running only, but casual sneakers are commonly worn by locals.

Sportygirl choose something that you are comfortable walking in and try not to focus on how the shoes look becasue to be honest I doubt anyone would care about what your shoes look like.

People, we ARE tourists, so who really cares. What, a shop owner won't serve you because you look like a tourist?. A waiter won't wait on you because you look like a tourist. The entire idea is to be and feel comfortable.

Yes, a good walking shoe is essential, but don't go out and spend $200 for shoes when you may have a closet full of good sneakers at home. Just chose one that will be comfortable to walk in for hours at a time, day after day.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

exactly!

people, we are tourists, so who really cares. What, a shop owner won't serve you because you look like a tourist?. A waiter won't wait on you because you look like a tourist. The entire idea is to be and feel comfortable.

Yes, a good walking shoe is essential, but don't go out and spend $200 for shoes when you may have a closet full of good sneakers at home. Just chose one that will be comfortable to walk in for hours at a time, day after day.

Cheers

len

With walking shoes always go for the ones that feel comfortable the moment you put them on. Try on as many different ones as possible until you know you have the best ones for you. Never get them too tight or only just fitting as your feet will swell when walking. After several weeks of hunting down comfortable trainers I found some Nike ones that had support in them. I don't like the completely flat ones. The only problem is they are not waterproof so no good in the rain. I do have a lace up pair from M&S which are now waterproof after DH covered them in dubbin shoe polish. My other favorites are Brashers, but they are a bit heavy if the weather is hot. I also take with a pair of light weight silicone flip flops or birkis which I can change into if my feet start hurting from the heat.

Thank you.

Debbie.

Years ago lived in Germany for four years as a military wife - got all these warnings about cobblestones but really didn't find them a problem then or on a return trip several years ago - locals wear Birkenstocks. Just avoid flip flops, heels. Just a comfortable for you shoe - Clarks, Merrells, Josef Siebel, Ecos etc.

Here is what Tom, of Tom's Port Guides says:

BELGIUM Brugge (Zeebrugge) Port Guide

Zeebrugge is a huge commercial port. You can't walk through the port. Hire a taxi to downtown Brugge or take a bus from the ship to Blankenberge for a 15 minute train ride. Brugge is a charming, relaxing, exceptionally clean, pedestrian-friendly city with striking architecture, beautiful parks, many museums, churches, and places to shop. Be sure to buy some delicious chocolate. A canal boat ride is a must.

Click here to view, print or "save" the guide (4.2 MB) Brugge_Zeebrugge-08-28-2012

Look at www. tomsportguides .com (extra spaces in there to prevent removal....)

I did Bruges on my own a few years ago - totally doable. Take a canal tour. Off the beaten track a bit was a lace museum, and when I was there, there were women making lace who sat and talked with me about their craft for as long as I wanted to stay. I wouldn't say it was worth it without the lace making demo, but that made it quite memorable for me. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188671-d243503-Reviews-The_Lace_Center_Kantcentrum-Bruges_West_Flanders_Province.html

I just bought a couple pair of Eccos because they are great for all types of walking. I do have Merrell and Joseph Seibel as well. I have Ecco athletic shoes as well...they are black, and I used them in Seattle and in Alaska and they were great. I'm bringing my good sandals that will hold up to cobblestones as well as closed toed shoes for rainy days. You must have good support!! As for wearing tennis shoes and being a tourist?? so what! I believe a camera is also a good give away and I'll be sporting that too!

Hi! DH and I are planning our first Baltic cruise. I am wondering what tips everyone has for a first timer. Perhaps something you wish someone would have told you before your first trip to the Baltics...? For example, if you took a balcony cabin, did you have a hard time sleeping because of the late sunset/early sunrise? Are there any ports that are particular beautiful for sail-in or sail-out? THANKS!

Those of you who have done this cruise, can you tell me if US dollars are accepted by the tour guides and drivers? What about the vendors in ST. Petersburg, will they take US Dollars??

Those of you who have done this cruise, can you tell me if US dollars are accepted by the tour guides and drivers? What about the vendors in ST. Petersburg, will they take US Dollars??

If by tour guides and drivers, you are referring to private tours in St Petersburg, YES, they even ask you to pay in US Dollars and most people tip in that currency also. Just make sure the bills you use are fairly new and still have that 'crispness' in them. The tour company will not accept very worn bills and if you use something like that to tip, it would present a problem for those receiving the tip.

Most of the vendors will accept US Dollars but your rate of exchange will be very poor. You would do better by charging most purchases. If you can stop by one of the street vendors, they will gladly accept US Dollars, but do hondle with them for a better price.

Cheers

Len

If by tour guides and drivers, you are referring to private tours in St Petersburg, YES, they even ask you to pay in US Dollars and most people tip in that currency also. Just make sure the bills you use are fairly new and still have that 'crispness' in them. The tour company will not accept very worn bills and if you use something like that to tip, it would present a problem for those receiving the tip.

Most of the vendors will accept US Dollars but your rate of exchange will be very poor. You would do better by charging most purchases. If you can stop by one of the street vendors, they will gladly accept US Dollars, but do hondle with them for a better price.

Cheers

Len

Len, thank you so much for the info. Being to able use US dollars saves having to get all those different currencies.:)