Not a Visa but a fee.

billroddy

They're reciprocity fees. My wife and I planned a cruise to Argentina and HAL advised there would be fee of $160 each to Argentina.

Then I wondered about other countries en route and was horrified to find that Chile charged $140 each. So for two that would be $600.

Seems the U S charges residents of those countries to enter.

Bill

Ancient Mariner

I believe the fees are payable only if you arrive by air at either of the two Buenos Aires airports (EZE and AEP) in Argentina. As for Chile, it used to be collected only if you arrived by air at Santiago airport (SCL). Colelctions may be widened to other ports of entry for both countries.

If Chili & Argentina charge that it will be included in your Govt. fees & Taxes in addition to your HAL fare..They are not paid individually..

My DH & I are taking a 68 day HAL cruise on the Prinsendam in Jan & will be cruising to Chili, Argentina & Brazil in addition to other countries..

We will not have to pay any extra fee to enter either Argentina or Chili...It's possible the fees you are quoting are included in the Government fees & taxes, which for our cruise is over $1100..This is paid to HAL in addition to the quoted cabin charge...

However, we personally will need to get a Separate Visa for Brazil..The 10 year Brazilian Visa's are $189 per person & we will pay $49 per person for a service to secure our visa's..That's a total of $476.00 in addition to our cruise fare & Govt. fees & Taxes..

Since we charge the same for U.S. Visa's, Brazil charges all U.S. Citizens $189.00 & it's quite possible that Argentina & Chili charge the same per psgr..

That has always been the case..Nothing new..

Betty

They're reciprocity fees. My wife and I planned a cruise to Argentina and HAL advised there would be fee of $160 each to Argentina.

Then I wondered about other countries en route and was horrified to find that Chile charged $140 each. So for two that would be $600.

Seems the U S charges residents of those countries to enter.

Bill

Ancient Mariner

Yes, the U.S. and Canada levies a fee so they charge it right back. If you are doing any plain South American cruise - the odds are you will have to pay it:rolleyes: We did years ago - but I must say that this is an absolutely fabulous cruise. It was worth every bit of the hassle (visa wise) and the money:):)

When we went to south america we paid the fee at the airport ...cash only and new bills requested ...i think it was 350$ for 2....in Chile ..Santiago

Because we arrived by shiip no fee in argentina

i. Hear brazil asksa lot of personal ......?.... Before thy give the visa plus you need to pay for it

for me South America once was more than enough .I found it scary and dangerous

If Chili & Argentina charge that it will be included in your Govt. fees & Taxes in addition to your HAL fare..They are not paid individually..

My DH & I are taking a 68 day HAL cruise on the Prinsendam in Jan & will be cruising to Chili, Argentina & Brazil in addition to other countries..

We will not have to pay any extra fee to enter either Argentina or Chili...It's possible the fees you are quoting are included in the Government fees & taxes, which for our cruise is over $1100..This is paid to HAL in addition to the quoted cabin charge...

However, we personally will need to get a Separate Visa for Brazil..The 10 year Brazilian Visa's are $189 per person & we will pay $49 per person for a service to secure our visa's..That's a total of $476.00 in addition to our cruise fare & Govt. fees & Taxes..

Since we charge the same for U.S. Visa's, Brazil charges all U.S. Citizens $189.00 & it's quite possible that Argentina & Chili charge the same per psgr..

That has always been the case..Nothing new..

Betty

Not sure where you got the $189 figure for the Brazil visa fee but, it is incorrect. About 4 months ago the fee went up $20 to $160 per person. This is the fee if you go directly to the Brazilian Consulate for your visa and the same thing your agency will pay. The additional $29 is something you are paying the visa service in addition to the $49 fee.

Brazil charges $160 to US citizens at this time. There is a committee that has recently been formed between Brazil and the US with their first meeting in Nov. 2012 to discuss eliminating Visas for US and Brazilian citizens. Knowing how government works or doesn't work, will probably be several years before this occurs, if at all.

Just curious, we will be going to Chile by ship next year, are we going to owe extra fees?

We have done cruises that have originated in Chile and terminated in Chile. When we flew into Santiago in 2009, we paid the reciprocity fee, it is not covered by your cruise's government fees. They do take credit cards but we were told sometimes the terminals aren't working and that cash should be carried just in case. Use smaller bills (think $20s) that are crisp and unmarked, we were told. We were able to use our Visa card without problem. We did not pay any reciprocity fees in Argentina where this cruise had ports of call and terminated.

When we had a cruise that terminated in Valparaiso in 2011, we did not pay the fee (as we had already paid in 2009 and had the receipt stapled in our passports), and it was not collected anyplace we saw there. But, we had a problem in Santiago with our flight home and it got canceled. Those of us who had previously paid the reciprocity fee got our passports back and the airline took us to the Sheraton for the night. Those who had never paid one got a receipt for their passports, which were held at the airport presumably by the airline, were also taken to the Sheraton, and had to collect their passports upon returning the next day before lining up for check-in at the airport, but were never required to pay the fee.

Not sure where you got the $189 figure for the Brazil visa fee but, it is incorrect. About 4 months ago the fee went up $20 to $160 per person. This is the fee if you go directly to the Brazilian Consulate for your visa and the same thing your agency will pay. The additional $29 is something you are paying the visa service in addition to the $49 fee.

Brazil charges $160 to US citizens at this time. There is a committee that has recently been formed between Brazil and the US with their first meeting in Nov. 2012 to discuss eliminating Visas for US and Brazilian citizens. Knowing how government works or doesn't work, will probably be several years before this occurs, if at all.

Rallydave, Sorry I should have said either $180 or $185.00 not $189..

lAccording to Travisa the Consular fee is $185.00 & their Service fee is $60 Total for two is $490...See: http://http://brazil.travisa.com/TVSVisaInstructions.aspx?CountryID=BR&PartnerID=TA&GLID=AUS&CitizenshipID=US

According to itseasy.com the consular fee is $180.00 & their service charge is $59.00 total for two $478.00. See: step 2 in following WEB site:

http://www.itseasy.com/visa-expediting/Brazil/tourist-FL.php?country=26&cit=US&res=FL&visa=Tourist&ID=

According to: ZVS aka Visa Central http://visacentral.com/?ref_brand=ZVS Consular Fee $180 & Service fee $99.00 Total for 2 is $558

All the visa services I've looked at are quoting a $180-185 Consular fee for Miami..

We can't go to the Miami Consulate directly as it's 4 hrs. away & any small error will delay processing.. We need our passports back by end of Nov. for another cruise on Noordam..That's the reason we are using a Visa service, so as not to delay..In addition we have to pay a $30 Fed ex return fee to most of them..

Please point me to a WEB site which show a $160 fee as I can't find it at all..

Thanks..Betty

Betty,

Was simply letting people including you know that the fee for in person application for a Brazil visa by US citizens is $160 which is what my DW and I will pay as we live only 45 minutes from a Brazilian consulate. We do have to provide two Postal Money Orders, one for each application but, that is much less expensive than what you have quoted from any of the visa services.

There is the possibility we can pick up our visas the same day we bring them in. Have looked over the application form and it really is quite simple as long as you get the contact in Brazil info from HAL. Also, the consulates provide very complete instructions for what you need to bring to the appointment for the visa. It is worth it to save the almost $200 and get the visa quickly.

Understand your reluctance to drive 3 or 4 hours to Miami. The $20 extra is for applications where the person or spouse does not go in person to the Consulate. If you can go to the Consulate, the fee is the $160 I quoted

See the following links for Miami and Houston where we live:

http://miami.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/tourist.xml

http://houston.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visa_fees.xml

Sorry for any confusion, just want people to understand they do have options if they live near a consulate and what the actual fees are.

Betty,

Was simply letting people including you know that the fee for in person application for a Brazil visa by US citizens is $160 which is what my DW and I will pay as we live only 45 minutes from a Brazilian consulate. We do have to provide two Postal Money Orders, one for each application but, that is much less expensive than what you have quoted from any of the visa services.

There is the possibility we can pick up our visas the same day we bring them in. Have looked over the application form and it really is quite simple as long as you get the contact in Brazil info from HAL. Also, the consulates provide very complete instructions for what you need to bring to the appointment for the visa. It is worth it to save the almost $200 and get the visa quickly.

Understand your reluctance to drive 3 or 4 hours to Miami. The $20 extra is for applications where the person or spouse does not go in person to the Consulate. If you can go to the Consulate, the fee is the $160 I quoted

Sorry for any confusion, just want people to understand they do have options if they live near a consulate and what the actual fees are.

Thanks Dave...Understand, however in Miami they will not issue it the same day..

This is from their WEB site: Quote If approved, the visa will be ready for pick-up from Monday to Friday between 3pm to 4pm, in 5 business days if applied in person or in 15 business days if applied by a third party.

Please note that the Consulate does not expedite or issue same day visas, unless in case of a documented medical emergency or official instructions from the Brazilian Government. Unquote

We'll have to count on paying $180 plus $49 plus either Fed ex round trip of $23-$30 or perhaps the visa service will take U.S. mail express envelopes both ways..Hate to send our passports away as always worried that they will be lost, but can't do anything else :eek: Guess I'll start the process now..

You are fortunate to live close to the consulate.. However, thanks for the info...

Cheers...:)Betty

Thanks Dave...Understand, however in Miami they will not issue it the same day..

This is from their WEB site: Quote If approved, the visa will be ready for pick-up from Monday to Friday between 3pm to 4pm, in 5 business days if applied in person or in 15 business days if applied by a third party.

Please note that the Consulate does not expedite or issue same day visas, unless in case of a documented medical emergency or official instructions from the Brazilian Government. Unquote

We'll have to count on paying $180 plus $49 plus either Fed ex round trip of $23-$30 or perhaps the visa service will take U.S. mail express envelopes both ways..Hate to send our passports away as always worried that they will be lost, but can't do anything else :eek: Guess I'll start the process now..

You are fortunate to live close to the consulate.. However, thanks for the info...

Cheers...:)Betty

Betty - no worries - we aren't close to one either - we sent ours off by registered mail with our passports (big gulp):rolleyes: they were back in no time along with our visa.

Other than the money, it was pretty painless and actually quite quick - just watch the time line when to apply - we weren't allowed until 90 days in advance back then which made us very nervous - it all worked out:D:D

Betty - no worries - we aren't close to one either - we sent ours off by registered mail with our passports (big gulp):rolleyes: they were back in no time along with our visa.

Other than the money, it was pretty painless and actually quite quick - just watch the time line when to apply - we weren't allowed until 90 days in advance back then which made us very nervous - it all worked out:D:D

Thanks Jacqui..I usually see the glass half full, but when it comes to our passports, I'm unreasonable paranoid!..:eek: Have always been wary of giving up my passport unless it was to the Purser on board a ship..In Morocco & Greece in the 70's the Hotels took our passports & the once local "Policia" kept them for several days..I was becoming concerned until they returned them to us..

When we got our original Brazilian Visa's in the 80's I was able to go directly to the NYC Consulate..It was no problem..Then our second visa in 2006 was also a cinch even though we had the 90 day rule too & went through a visa service..

I'm wondering about the time line too..On one WEB site it said not to apply before 90 days prior to arrival, but I think I've read somewhere that rule was rescinded..Hope so, as we need our passports for our Nov. 26 cruise on the Noordam.. Therefore, should apply for the visa's very soon... We depart on Jan 5, but don't actually arrive in Brazil until Feb 16.. 90 days prior is about Nov. 18, & that's too late for us to have our passports back in time for our cruise on the 26th..

Spent today filling out the applications by hand & getting all the documents copied & ready to mail.. Friday will contact the Visa service & then apply on line, before mailing out the applications..

Every once in a while my old PC reverts to my home page while I'm working on something else..Then I loose things & have to start over..Hope I'll be able to download the applications to work on them offline..

We'll see..Thanks Betty.

Betty,

You may want to call and see if they will issue the visa the same day. It's been several years, but when we got ours several years ago we applied one morning, and we could pick them up the next afternoon (They were very specific about the time!). Houston traffic is not for the faint of heart at 4PM. :eek:

You may want to call and see if they will issue the visa the same day. It's been several years, but when we got ours several years ago we applied one morning, and we could pick them up the next afternoon (They were very specific about the time!). Houston traffic is not for the faint of heart at 4PM. :eek:

Not to worry, pickup time is 1 PM and not the horrible 4 PM around the Galleria area.

Archived