Formal Night on New Years' Eve

mikedge

We are taking our first cruise over New Year on Emerald Princess in the Caribbean. Although I know from previous cruises waht the dress code is on formal nights, I am not sure if formal is even more formal on New Year's Eve. Please advise as I do not want to look out of place on this special occasion.

No formal nights on another cruise line so New Years Eve was just another night. But we are assuming that with our upcoming Princess Cruise they will make New Years Eve one of their chosen formal evenings. Anyone?

We were on the Emerald last NYE. It was a scheduled formal night although we had been in St. Thomas that day, one of the two that were normally scheduled. But it really depends on the CD, so it's possible this year might be different.

BTW: people REALLY dressed for it. I saw lots of ball gown-type dresses.

On the previous NYE cruises that I've taken on Princess (Dawn, Crown, Sapphire), it was always a formal night. So we dressed formally for dinner and then promptly changed into more comfortable clothes for the evening's festivities... :)

The last time we cruised over NYE, not only was it a formal night, it was an additional formal night for the cruise.
We had that same experience on a New Year's cruise in the Caribbean. It became an extra formal night after the CD got a few questions about dress for the evening, and the notice was rather last minute.

The majority of passengers stayed formally dressed until after midnight, and many women wore long dresses. The party in the atrium was definitely formal and even the party on deck was mostly formal. There was a third party we didn't attend.

Depending on what you choose to wear you could be either in the spirit of the evening or a little out of place.

My last two cruises involved NYE and each time the eve was a formal night, but it was still just three formal nights (for a two week cruise), not in addition. I don't know if people upped their formal wear compared to what they would normally wear. I wore a LBD the last time.

We are taking our first cruise over New Year on Emerald Princess in the Caribbean. Although I know from previous cruises waht the dress code is on formal nights, I am not sure if formal is even more formal on New Year's Eve. Please advise as I do not want to look out of place on this special occasion.

We are also on this Emerald NYE cruise with you... have you posted in our roll call yet?

We have been on NYE cruises the past two years and New Year's Eve was a formal night on both of those cruises. It's really like any other formal night, in terms of what people wear. Some people dress to the nines while others not so much.

Our experience on New Year's is that most people do participate in formal night. Lots of tuxes, gowns and sparkles. Also, most keep the gear on until after midnight. Even on the west coast, where it is often seems more laid back.

That being said I have no serious bias about formal night. We sometimes go in full tux, tails and gown, other times don't do formal night at all. But if we go on New Year's again we will do the full formal. I think we'd feel a bit out of place forgoing that one.

I was on the Emerald last year for New Years. It was not formal night but they did the champagne thing in the atrium, had balloon drops etc. it was a load of fun. I grabbed a stool at the Coffee bar at the International Cafe. Great place to see in the New Year. My cruise is after Thanksgiving this year. Enjoy!

We did the Panama Canal cruise on the Island over New Year's this past year. NYE was a formal night and I thought people were just a little more dressed up than the average formal night. The Island did a beautiful job. We got hats and horns at dinner and there was a balloon drop at midnight with everyone getting streamers to throw. It was so much fun!

Archived