The Titanic II if she is built,will she be tough competition for the Cunard Line?

Cruise Liner Fan

it may get built...it may not. the guy is loaded so it could happen.

would i go on it, you bet.

as someone mentioned walking the boat deck at night in mid Atlantic with 4 funnels - amazing.

competition for QM2?

maybe abit if a regular TA run was scheduled.

1912 v 2012 ship comforts?

well no decks of balcony cabins for sure but on Titanic some top 1st class rooms had their own private part of the prom deck.

could you cope with a porthole v nostalgia?...hmmm maybe.

doubt if the steerage class gimmick would do well in the long term imho

maybe have a few berths at that price but concentrate on decent tourist/second and first class cabins and dining. and try to make as many as possible outside v,v inside rooms.

entertainment? you could still put on plenty to keep the pax from getting bored. good lectures and decent shows with a period theme.

pools? am sure one outdoor pool could be squeezed in somewhere?

and an indoor spa is easy.

you wonder if a chinese shipyard could finish it off ? then when you look at the wonderful creations they build now all in china for hornby model trains anything you give the chinese to recreate is possible lol.

http://locoyard.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/hornby-merchant-navy-3.jpg

it may get built...it may not. the guy is loaded so it could happen.

would i go on it, you bet.

as someone mentioned walking the boat deck at night in mid Atlantic with 4 funnels - amazing.

competition for QM2?

maybe abit if a regular TA run was scheduled.

1912 v 2012 ship comforts?

well no decks of balcony cabins for sure but on Titanic some top 1st class rooms had their own private part of the prom deck.

could you cope with a porthole v nostalgia?...hmmm maybe.

doubt if the steerage class gimmick would do well in the long term imho

maybe have a few berths at that price but concentrate on decent tourist/second and first class cabins and dining. and try to make as many as possible outside v,v inside rooms.

entertainment? you could still put on plenty to keep the pax from getting bored. good lectures and decent shows with a period theme.

pools? am sure one outdoor pool could be squeezed in somewhere?

and an indoor spa is easy.

you wonder if a chinese shipyard could finish it off ? then when you look at the wonderful creations they build now all in china for hornby model trains anything you give the chinese to recreate is possible lol.

http://locoyard.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/hornby-merchant-navy-3.jpg

In fact, Palmer plans to add the mod cons and extra facilities are planned for the extra deck situated between Titanic's C and D decks.

A large number of 1st class staterooms had square windows (B deck) and the rest were portholes. Some of the A deck singles (this will please those on the other thread wanting single cabins) had window access to the promenade deck.

And of course there were the four parlour suites (B and C decks, just aft the Grand Staircase) with the B deck ones having private decks.

Agree with extending the 2nd class accommodation and limiting 3rd for novelty factor.

Admittedly, 2nd class would need more than one elevator though (and first more than three) to cater for modern passengers.

In fact, Palmer plans to add the mod cons and extra facilities are planned for the extra deck situated between Titanic's C and D decks.

A large number of 1st class staterooms had square windows (B deck) and the rest were portholes. Some of the A deck singles (this will please those on the other thread wanting single cabins) had window access to the promenade deck.

And of course there were the four parlour suites (B and C decks, just aft the Grand Staircase) with the B deck ones having private decks.

Agree with extending the 2nd class accommodation and limiting 3rd for novelty factor.

Admittedly, 2nd class would need more than one elevator though (and first more than three) to cater for modern passengers.

yes cabins with windows onto the prom deck would be nice...

i do not agree with too much segregation on the new ship apart from maybe the dining options ala cunard britannia v.v grills and maybe the odd sun deck space made for premium passengers.

re the extra deck planned...i understand it is for ''new type'' lifeboats so that

rules out any in-hull balconies so any cabins on that deck most would be likely with obs view. (onto a 'new prom' deck with lifeboats slung over the top?)

who knows yet lol

yes cabins with windows onto the prom deck would be nice...

i do not agree with too much segregation on the new ship apart from maybe the dining options ala cunard britannia v.v grills and maybe the odd sun deck space made for premium passengers.

re the extra deck planned...i understand it is for ''new type'' lifeboats so that

rules out any in-hull balconies so any cabins on that deck most would be likely with obs view. (onto a 'new prom' deck with lifeboats slung over the top?)

who knows yet lol

No, the new plans suggest the extra deck will be public space and lifeboats rather than cabin space.

Earlier this year the New York Times ran an article comparing cruise ships today to travel on the Titanic. I think I'll take today over traveling in 1912: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/sunday-review/the-not-so-luxurious-titanic.html?_r=0

In the New York Times article Charles Haas,president of the Titanic International Society and a co-author of the book "Titanic Triumph and Tragedy" is quoted as saying that a Titanic replica would be a pratical and financial disaster.And maybe he does have a good point about that. Regards,Jerry

And with all the modifications that have been mentioned, it wouldn't really be a replica, but more of a "suggestion" of the original. It reminds me of the old joke about the antique dealer selling the hatchet George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree: "Of course, since Washington owned it, it's had three new handles and two new heads."

And with all the modifications that have been mentioned, it wouldn't really be a replica, but more of a "suggestion" of the original
I agree, with the suggested changes & alterations I can see any resulting vessel looking like a close sister to one of the current Disney ships, they have two "funnels"; very easy to add a couple more to the design, paint them yellow and call the result "Titanic II".

If that is the intention then we could see a new cruise-ship named after the original liner in a few years.

However, if the supposed intention is to build a very close replica (inside and out) of the 1912 original, well we are back to the world of flying pigs, Elvis living at the South Pole and double-deck buses discovered on Mars.

Unless its a true replica it has no value. It would be difficult to satisfy 21st century travelers with early 20th century cabins, no one would sail 3rd class. If they built it I don't know that I would sail on it unless it was going somewhere I was interested in, but to sail for the heck of it because its some replica NO....I have better things to do with my time.

I just can’t see this happening, nor should it! Financially, it will be a ‘Titanic’ disaster.

The guy has obviously got far too much money than sense. If he wants to build a new Ocean Liner and call it Titanic, I don’t have a problem with that. (I don’t think so anyway!) Build it big, modern with amazing new features/facilities, with perhaps replicas ‘parts’ of the original ship. The grand staircase, four funnels, beautiful promenade deck etc. (although I’m not sure he could use all that wood on a new ship! (the staircase))

I don’t know too much about this project… does he want it to be a replica on the outside, or both outside & inside? In both cases, he just can’t do it. It will never be an exact replica. The bow/hull may have been modern 100 years ago, but would probably be very inefficient by today’s standard/requirements. Everything down to the lifeboats… he certainly couldn’t stick to using those original wooden things! :eek:

As for the interior, well… I could be here all day! It’s just a ridiculous idea.

And who would want to sail on her? I would be bored silly. There’s only so much parading the promenade I can do!

As someone else mentioned. If he wants a replica, then build the exact replica and keep it in Southampton or Belfast. It would probably be a big success. Other than that, build a fabulous new modern Ocean Liner that we would all love to see and travel on.

I just can’t see this happening, nor should it! Financially, it will be a ‘Titanic’ disaster.

The guy has obviously got far too much money than sense. If he wants to build a new Ocean Liner and call it Titanic, I don’t have a problem with that. (I don’t think so anyway!) Build it big, modern with amazing new features/facilities, with perhaps replicas ‘parts’ of the original ship. The grand staircase, four funnels, beautiful promenade deck etc. (although I’m not sure he could use all that wood on a new ship! (the staircase))

I don’t know too much about this project… does he want it to be a replica on the outside, or both outside & inside? In both cases, he just can’t do it. It will never be an exact replica. The bow/hull may have been modern 100 years ago, but would probably be very inefficient by today’s standard/requirements. Everything down to the lifeboats… he certainly couldn’t stick to using those original wooden things! :eek:

As for the interior, well… I could be here all day! It’s just a ridiculous idea.

And who would want to sail on her? I would be bored silly. There’s only so much parading the promenade I can do!

As someone else mentioned. If he wants a replica, then build the exact replica and keep it in Southampton or Belfast. It would probably be a big success. Other than that, build a fabulous new modern Ocean Liner that we would all love to see and travel on.

well luv2cruz from what you say and suggest above

that is exactly what he fully intends to do!

are you sure you haven't seen the preliminary plans lol!

the hull is being 'modernised' and slightly widened i think with a small bulbous bow.

new lifeboat deck being added between c and d decks

plenty of entertainment and spa being installed.

luxury dining...plenty of faux wood is in situ right now on QE QM2 and QV!

in fact the main staircase with the clock a la Titanic is the most photographed backdrop on QE and QV on formal nights...

listen if he does this right and offers a TA regular schedule and the ship is built as a liner and not a cruise ship then i really think it will sell...

would i have named it Titanic? maybe not,

i think Gigantic would have been interesting though or Majestic.

what she does and where she goes to operate in the winter has not been said...no doubt some cruising has to be there for commercial reasons as winter TA's are not so popular. an outdoor pool is a must have.

where she cruises to? who knows?

i think it would be very popular indeed if he sticks to the traditionalist

Cunarder type grand days of the sea product and forgets about putting in too much of the steerage gimmick.

high end customers are where the dosh is.

if customers have the time to do a 6-7 day TA iso of fly at a cost cheaper than a premium economy airticket then its maybe a winner.

QM2 sells out often.

ships dressed up and left in port never make any money and just rot away.

maybe only the ex royal yacht Britannia is making money at Leith. she is a great attraction.

• 3 weeks later...

Coming to this discussion late, but I agree with almost everything said above.

Without balcony cabins, and with his suggestion as to class arrangements, I suggest it would be an epic FAILURE!

Making QE2 SOLAS compliant is problematic also, as there is asbestos on the ship, along with another substance (forget the name) that is just as bad. There's tons of wood in those QE2 cabins, and most are antiquated, with single beds. Between purchase price and modifications, it'll likely be several hundred million $ to convert her to sail again; same if you made her a floating hotel / attraction. There's a reason why Carnival sold her.

His best bet is SS United States, as she is already stripped of asbestos. She could be a floating hotel / museum, perhaps in New York. Still, several hundred million $ to do that, as the ship is gutted, unlike QE2.

The question still begs: How many people would want to sail on a ship named Titanic, and one that is bereft of balcony cabins?

Whatever he does, doing the work in China makes sense, as they can do it at much less cost.

What is this morbid fascination of the Titanic? It was a horrible event where over 1,500 people died. What's next, an Auschwitz amusement park?

?

Wow, thank you for that considered analogy. I must admit that the similarities between a maritime disaster in which 1,500 people died due to an accident, and a concentration camp that was instrumental in the genocide of 6 millions Jews and others had never occurred to me. :rolleyes:

?

Wow, thank you for that considered analogy. I must admit that the similarities between a maritime disaster in which 1,500 people died due to an accident, and a concentration camp that was instrumental in the genocide of 6 millions Jews and others had never occurred to me. :rolleyes:

Ouch!! Good point!

If he really wants to give Cunard a rough time, Build a replica QE2!:D Even better, buy the original and spend the Bucks to make her SOLAS compliant. Now that's one I would pay to sail.:D:D

I don't think even Warren Buffets money would be enough.

I don't think even Warren Buffets money would be enough.

Warren's money would be more than enough, but he doesn't care about QE2 or SSUS or much else aside from making money.

I have inside connections as to this. You're better off trying Bill Gates.

Otherwise, we will likely lose them both to the breakers.

With no shear and no camber. this "repro' will look no more like Titanic than a generic Lego ocean liner. If you could sell transatlantic fare in steerage for $79.95 it might work... but in real life it can't.

And now because of Hurricane Sandy the events for the launch of Titanic II aboard the Aircraft Carrier USS Intrepid docked in the Hudson River scheduled on December 4th and on December 1st in London have been postponed until early 2013.Here is the link http://bluestarline.com.au/titanic-ii/?p=1288 As I have said before I'll believe in the Titanic II when I see a Titanic II floating on the water. Regards,Jerry

While an obvious enigma, there are people who have more money than brains.

Titanic II is just a bad idea. Even if you named her "Olympic" (Titanic's successful sister ship) the project still would be a disaster, in a financial sense. ;)

Heck, replicating the Normandie would be a better choice, but you still have that balcony issue! So, you increase the ship's size, put in the balconies, add the 3 "trade mark" funnels and it might work- a billion+ $ later.

Normandie is still considered by many to be the most beautiful ocean liner ever built, and her demise had nothing to do with Titanic's. There's no "dark cloud" over her head. She was a victim of circumstance.

normandie_liner.jpg

While an obvious enigma, there are people who have more money than brains.

Titanic II is just a bad idea. Even if you named her "Olympic" (Titanic's successful sister ship) the project still would be a disaster, in a financial sense. ;)

Heck, replicating the Normandie would be a better choice, but you still have that balcony issue! So, you increase the ship's size, put in the balconies, add the 3 "trade mark" funnels and it might work- a billion+ $ later.

Normandie is still considered by many to be the most beautiful ocean liner ever built, and her demise had nothing to do with Titanic's. There's no "dark cloud" over her head. She was a victim of circumstance.

normandie_liner.jpg

Actually, Normandie was never truly a success in her time. She was barely profitable as more TA passengers preferred to sail on the Queen Mary.

To many, Normandie - while very elegant - was just too over the top and grandiose. It intimidated many.

I honestly don't think it would be profitable today, when it was hardly profitable then. Titanic would garner more interest.

Despite criticisms from a handful on here, there are hundreds of thousands of people out in the world who would book a 7 day sailing on her just for the experience.

10 or even 20 CC doubters out of more than 2 billion eligible customers (I naturally exclude the Third World and most of the developing world) does not make a majority.

Archived